Metamatic
Posted By: Vispateresa Gary Numan - 06/03/07 08:03 PM
Considering that I only know his two big hits "Cars" and "Are Friends Electric?" what are the must-have by Numan, in your opinion? Thanks!
Posted By: robert Re: Gary Numan - 06/03/07 10:23 PM
The must haves are as followed.

Tubeway army

Replicas

The pleasure principle

Telekon (His masterpiece)
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/03/07 10:41 PM
Hmm, I would say:

The Pleasure Principle
Telekon
I, Assassin
Sacrifice
Exile
Jagged
Posted By: psychocandy Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by robert:
The must haves are as followed.

Tubeway army

Replicas

The pleasure principle

Telekon (His masterpiece)
Dance

I, Assassin

Warriors

yeah, the first 7 albums...
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 07:04 AM
I'd make it only three:

Replicas (Tubeway Army)(Are "Friends" Electric)
Pleasure Principle (Cars)
Telekon

I think if you like early Ultravox then you'll also like first album, Tubeway Army - very raw and post-punk IMHO (which means I agree with Robert in the end)

I'm also a fan of Dance, but many find it inaccessible (a bit more experimental, longer tracks etc.), but stop there.

All the above are available in good value CD packages with bonus tracks etc.

Mid-80's is definitely a no-no period and not even die-hard Numan fans can take a lot of it.

90s stuff is more rock and 'goth' but I enjoy the recent live album "Scarred" containing some new and re-worked older stuff.

Also don't forget live albums Living Ornaments '79 and '80 (and the rarer '81 )
Posted By: psychocandy Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Mid-80's is definitely a no-no period and not even die-hard Numan fans can take a lot of it.
the fury is pretty good album actually, and there are at least some classic tracks on every album. i'm afraid i haven't heard any post-87 numan though.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 08:09 AM
..aaarrggh . .since I've slagged off mid 80s Numan I can't get 'My Breathing' out of my head....I am being punished!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 08:30 AM
I don't care for the first Tubeway Army album, or Replicas to tell the truth. I've got so used to hearing the Replicas songs played live that when I go back to the album originals, they sound a bit basic. It's still a great album though but I think the idea is stronger than the music itself, as the songs have since evolved through being played live.

I would certainly recommend everything from The Pleasure Principle to Warriors. I always liked Warriorss, it has some great tracks. Dance is good although it took a while for me to warm to it. It's much more experimental and unusual.

Mid 80s Numan isn't as bad as its made out to be, once you pick out the best bits – and there are plenty.... The Hunter, Cold Warnings, God Only Knows, The Pleasure Skin, The Sleeproom, My Breathing... and the entire Metal Rhythm album which I think is excellent. It has a more commercial rock feel to it, but it is really well produced and contains some super pop tracks – it's a differrent kind of Numan, altghough still a million miles away from Telekon or the other early albums.

If anything I would avoid Outland and Machine and Soul. However not all of Numan's early 90s output was bad – check out his instrumental albums Human and The Radial Pair which is excellent, and paved the way for oe of his greatest and darkest albums, 1994's Sacrifice. One of his most "Numan" albums.

1994 – present has seen Numan's revival and a change in direction to a heavier electronic/industrial sound. Sacrifice, Exile, Pure, Hybrid and 2005's Jagged are all worth checking out!!

Hybrid was an interesting project, taking old Numan songs and reworking them with various contemporary producers.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 08:37 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with Numan.

IMHO the first Tubeway Army album is one of those essential albums of the period.
Replicas, I agree with Alex that it now sounds a little jaded in light of his recent output.
I went off him Big Style after Telekon, but then woke up (as I believe he did) on the release of Pure.

TBH, I'm not a fan of Jagged either. It's good, but its more of the same, if you know what I mean.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 08:40 AM
I found Jagged to be a grower. When it came out I thought it was long and boring with every track sounding the same.

I rediscovered it about a year later and somehow I heard it differently. Personally I love it - most of it anyway. There are about 3 tracks I'd skip.

It's an album to persist with - there are certainly 4 or 5 fantastic tracks on there.

Ironically, out of his later work, it's Pure that I don't particularly care for.
Posted By: Will Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 12:30 PM
As a massive Numan fan it's very hard for me to pick fave Numan albums,but Telekon,Pleasure principle,Replicas,and yes PURE would be in there,Pure for me was a significant step forward for Numan after the bad "middle years" to a style of music he was more and more listening to himself.
What I can say is DON'T but Machine and soul!! bloody awfull album
Posted By: metal beat Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 01:11 PM
It was buying Hybrid at a cheap price in HMV that got me looking back at Numans career. I tended to like his early albums a lot. Jagged took a long time to grow on me. I love the instrumental albums Humam and Radial pair. Pure is excellent. I've always like Dance some really nice tracks on it.

Also thanks to Alex for the inspiration to look at Numan again.
Peter smile
Posted By: Vispateresa Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 08:28 PM
Thank you all for your replies to my post. I think I'll definitely start with "Tubeway Army", I think I'm going to like it a lot.

Quote:
Also don't forget live albums [b]Living Ornaments '79 and '80 (and the rarer '81 ) [/b]
Last week I saw the three of them in a second-hand shop in Milan, so I think I'll definitely buy them. smile

I have a funny memory related to Gary Numan. Sometime in the 90's I was clearing my room and found a 1981 music mag with the title "Numan is going to leave music". And I thought "Who the heck is Gary Numan? And why did he want to leave music?" confused laugh

p.s. of course I knew who he was, but had nearly forgotten about him, until recently, when I re-discovered his music. wink
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/07 09:49 PM
Well you cant better the early ones IMO

Tubeway Army
Replicas
The Pleasure Principle
The John Peel Sessions
Living Ornaments '79
Telekon
Living Ornaments '80
Living Ornaments '81
Dance

Although ive stuck with Numans albums to the latest one 'Jagged'.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 06/05/07 08:49 AM
Quote:

Last week I saw the three of them in a second-hand shop in Milan, so I think I'll definitely buy them.

I have a funny memory related to Gary Numan. Sometime in the 90's I was clearing my room and found a 1981 music mag with the title "Numan is going to leave music".
Ok - go for the second live CDs definitely! There's a fairly good mix of the early albums.

yes, he was supposed to leave music, or at least touring live, after Telekon; but he soon changed his mind wink
Posted By: Chris C Re: Gary Numan - 06/05/07 08:53 PM
Replicas, Pleasure Principle and Telekon are his masterpieces. Some interesting stuff on Tubeway Army, Dance and I Assassin. Berserker is one of my favourites too and a return to form at the time.

Also his live albums are pretty good: Living Ornaments 79 and 80 and the White Noise album.

You would also need the Premier Hits to complete your collection.

His recent stuff Sacrifice onwards is very original but a completely different sound to his late 70s/early 80s stuff.

For his recent material start on Jagged. It's a grower and very epic.

Enjoy!
Chris C wink
Posted By: Will Re: Gary Numan - 06/06/07 12:18 AM
As a fan an an avid collector I havent bought premier hits,I have it in soooo many other formats!!
I don't really like the re-master of Telekon as it uses some "alternative" takes on some of the songs,ok the version of I die:you die is a better,'sparklier' version,possibly the much lauded 'US' version that was "supposed" to be on one of the many Cars re-mix projects but turned out to be just the normal version., but the vesion of things like Please push no more were the lead synth solo has been totaly ommitted is nothing short of criminal!
Get the Japannese collection "Asylum" for the REAL re-masters imho
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/06/07 06:51 AM
In a recent interview with Steve Malins, he admitted the Please Push... missing synth solo was a complete accident.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 06/06/07 06:57 AM
I've also got a really bizarre compilation CD with a strange variety of tracks - thinks it's called the Document series or something .. haven't got it with me. It's also got a really funny picture on the back - looks like our Gazza's suddenly become a used car salesman or something.

ah .. here it is: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?what=R&obid=586189
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Gary Numan - 06/06/07 09:34 AM
Must Have:
Replicas
The Pleasure Principle

Good stuff:
Anything up to and including I Assassin.
Telekon , Dance , I Assassin .
Everything from Sacrifice onwards.
Sacrifice , Exile , Pure , Hybrid , Jagged , Artificial Perfect (Ade Fenton, but featuring Numan on four tracks)

Avoid:
Anything between I assassin and Sacrifice!
Numan himself doesn't play any of this junk at concerts..

Of course, this is just my opinion..
Posted By: psychocandy Re: Gary Numan - 06/06/07 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
Avoid:
Anything between I assassin and Sacrifice!
Numan himself doesn't play any of this junk at concerts..

Of course, this is just my opinion..
yeah, as i said earlier i think warriors (1983) is excellent! lots of sax there... but good stuff.
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Gary Numan - 06/06/07 10:30 AM
Whoops! forgot about Warriors.
I quite liked the "Warriors" single, especially the B-sides, My Car Slides 1 & 2.
I have the aircraft-shaped single, and the 12".
Oh, and the album, but I don't think I'd actually recommend it to a non-Numanoid.
Posted By: psychocandy Re: Gary Numan - 06/06/07 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
Oh, and the album, but I don't think I'd actually recommend it to a non-Numanoid.
probably not the album to start with, but a good one once you've got all the previous albums.

my first numan album was i, assassin. possibly still my fave...
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Gary Numan - 11/03/08 09:22 AM
Just found this on eBay..

Gary Numan / Norman Lees - The Radial Pair..
Posted By: maryann Re: Gary Numan - 11/03/08 02:01 PM
The 'Buy It Now' price is a bit in the clouds, don't you think confused
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/03/08 02:48 PM
Probably better just to have the soundtrack.
Posted By: Lody Herst Re: Gary Numan - 11/10/08 03:13 PM
After reading an interview with Bowie in the seventies where he mentioned two artists who walked in his footsteps (yep, John and Gary), I checked them out. Bought their latest albums being ... Metamatic and The Pleasure Principle. Bingo! laugh
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 11/24/08 09:49 AM
There is an feature entitled 'Gary Numan Top 75 rarities' in the current edition of Record Collector (issue no: 357 - Christmas 2008)

http://www.recordcollectormag.com/issues/issue-detail/357
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 11/25/08 08:11 AM
This Numan related collaboration up on YouTube

Nick Robson : Stars
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 01/16/09 04:09 PM
'in depth' Gazza interview here at Beatmag .

He talks well of John Foxx and his former band called Ultravox.
Quote:

GN: “I’m a big admirer of John Foxx. I always have been. I always thought it a massive shame that he didn’t become a big pop star.”

Yet he never wanted that.

GN: “Did he not?”

No. He walked away from Ultravox partly because he felt that were on the verge of fame.

GN: “That’s an admirable thing. I just wanted fame more than breathing.”
laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 01/16/09 07:12 PM
I was just about to post this!

Great interview, and nice references to John smile
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 01/19/09 11:58 AM
Replicas live DVD now available from those nice people at Townsend

Tracks:
1. Replicas
2. Me, I Disconnect From You
3. Do You Need The Service
4. Praying To The Aliens
5. We Have A Technical
6. I Nearly Married A Human
7. Down In The Park
8. The Crazies
9. When The Machines Rock
10. Only A Downstat
11. The Machman
12. It Must Have Been Years
13. We Are So Fragile
14. You Are In My Vision
15. Are 'Friends' Electric?
16. Cars
17. Everyday I Die
18. A Prayer For The Unborn
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 01/19/09 12:24 PM
Quote:
Replicas live DVD now available from those nice people at Townsend
WOW! ANOTHER Numan live recording!? eek what are the chances of that happening!? wink
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 01/19/09 12:42 PM
from that interview:

GN: “I’ve got heavy pressure to do ‘Pleasure Principle’ next year because Beggars are releasing the album again.”

eek
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 01/19/09 01:02 PM
Quote:
from that interview:

GN: “I’ve got heavy pressure to do ‘Pleasure Principle’ next year because Beggars are releasing the album again.”

eek
eek

Didn't he say 'no more retro shows'? Mind you, didn't he retire from live performance in '81! laugh
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 01/19/09 01:11 PM
Poor old Gazza (Numan)his soul is so tortured by this whole live / nostalgi athing, as transpires form the interview. He's in two minds about it, or at least the record company make sure he's in two minds about it LOL.

quote:
Will you do a tour for that (PP)album?

GN: “No. That ‘Replicas’ tour done me. That was my nostalgia done. Mind you, I can’t say no forever.”
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 01/19/09 01:39 PM
Oh, surprise! Gary's new webshop is in fact Townsend Records!

Hopefully they will be faster than the previous Numan shop - which, whilst the idea of Gary's parents packaging and shipping off your parcel, you did have to wait weeks!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 01/19/09 01:43 PM
Quote:
Poor old Gazza (Numan)his soul is so tortured by this whole live / nostalgi athing, as transpires form the interview. He's in two minds about it, or at least the record company make sure he's in two minds about it LOL.

quote:
Will you do a tour for that (PP)album?

GN: “No. That ‘Replicas’ tour done me. That was my nostalgia done. Mind you, I can’t say no forever.”
Yeah, for some reason he really hated the Replicas tour. Personally I'm more looking forward to the upcoming new material, so maybe it's a good thing he might leave it a few more years until another 'retro' tour.

I hate the word retro.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 01/20/09 02:06 PM
DVD taster here here

Release date Feb 16th so don't all get too excited yet.
Posted By: Black Shadow Re: Gary Numan - 01/29/09 02:31 AM
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but Gary Numan is going to tour Australia. I going to his concert in Brisbane on March 02. cool
Posted By: Lody Herst Re: Gary Numan - 01/29/09 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sans Frontieres:
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but Gary Numan is going to tour Australia. I going to his concert in Brisbane on March 02. cool
cool indeed! Saw him a few years back for the first time in Amsterdam. I stood there right up the front, nervous as if I was a teenager again. Have fun Sans! smile
Posted By: Black Shadow Re: Gary Numan - 02/07/09 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lody Herst:
Have fun Sans! smile
Thanks Lody. I'll try and post something here after the concert (if I can). cool
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 02/07/09 10:18 AM
Gazza now has an official youtube channel with a few more new clips posted up this week:

Gary Numan official youtube page
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 02/12/09 12:19 PM
These tour dates just in...

April 23. Wolverhampton Wulfren Hall (UK)
April 24. Liverpool O2 Academy (UK)
April 25. Sheffield O2 Academy (UK)

June 10. Bristol O2 Academy (UK)
June 11. Oxford O2 Academy (UK)
June 13. Rabarock Festival (Estonia)
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 02/22/09 06:22 PM
Are the recent tour dates to promote the new album 'Splinter' or is it gonna be the same old stuff?
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 02/23/09 12:09 PM
I think the tour will be for the "Dead Son Rising" album, which I think is due out in April.

That's the album of tracks leftover from the Pure and Jagged sessions. "Splinter" is still in-progress.

So hopefully more emphasis on new material and Jagged Edge stuff - certainly not a same old hits routine, plus he was kind of traumatised by the nostalgia of the Replicas tour that he'll probably stay away from that for a bit!
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 02/23/09 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I think the tour will be for the "Dead Son Rising" album, which I think is due out in April.

That's the album of tracks leftover from the Pure and Jagged sessions. "Splinter" is still in-progress.

So hopefully more emphasis on new material and Jagged Edge stuff - certainly not a same old hits routine, plus he was kind of traumatised by the nostalgia of the Replicas tour that he'll probably stay away from that for a bit!
Thanks, Alex. I forgot about 'Dead Son Rising'.

I'm itching to hear what the new stuff is like. I hope Gary puts 3 or 4 in the set. I remember him saying in an interview that he wanted to go in a faster & heavier anthemic direction with 'Splinter' .

I'm still trying to decide whether to buy 'Jagged Edge' or not. Are the mixes/tracks on JE much different to the 'Jagged' ones? How does it compare, as an album, with 'Jagged'?
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 02/23/09 06:41 PM
Jagged Edge has blown the original out of the water for me. Although I wasn't so keen at first, I think almost every version beats the original - it really is the sound and style that Gary has been striving for, for a long time.

You'll find absolutely stunning versions of "Slave", "Scanner" and "Before You Hate It" (more than one, too) radically different versions of "Blind" and "Pressure", plus different versions of "Halo" and "Haunted" which I found to be vastly superior to the originals.

Where I found many tracks on Jagged to be too slow or sonically samey, these alternative versions - which ever ones you choose - offer the variation and power that many of the originals lacked, with the added bonus that most tracks now have many of the 'classic' Numan synth/string sounds integrated into them, bringing the current Numan sound together with a flavour of the classic era, and it has never sounded so relevant.

So while Jagged Edge doesn't neccesarily work as a cohesive piece, from here you can assemble your ultimate version of Jagged. smile
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 02/25/09 01:07 PM
A word of warning, I purchased the "Replicas Live DVD" and whilst the sound was excellent the video quality is shocking, bad pixelation pretty much all the way through and I have a normal TV not LCD so god knows what it would look like on one of those! I sent mine back to Townsends for a refund, others in Numan forums have also made comments about poor quality video.

I'm a massive Numan fan but i'm not prepared to fork out £16 for a poor quality product, the other thing no extras like interviews etc on DVD just the concert.

Gary
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 02/25/09 02:00 PM
The lack of extras is probably down to Gary losing all enthusiasm for Replicas and Nostalgia.

As for the quality - it's not like Numan to release something he's not happy with, so I wonder if it's a technical error...?
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 02/26/09 10:40 PM
Quote:
The lack of extras is probably down to Gary losing all enthusiasm for Replicas and Nostalgia.

As for the quality - it's not like Numan to release something he's not happy with, so I wonder if it's a technical error...?
Hi Alex

No Townsends have confirmed that the copies they currently have are exactly the same as the one sent back. In the light/smoke effects sections of the film the pixelation is really bad. I am amazed that Numan has released this as it is. The DVD is only 4gb so only used standard DVD disc which means heavy compression when authoring. Should have used DVD9 like his other DVD releases. I suspect the lack of extras was because of the quality of some of the video because he really could n't compress it further by adding more stuff to the DVD as that would have reduced the quality even further.

He has gone down the cheap route by going with DVD 5. I have the Hope Bleeds, Fragment & Telekon DVDs which are perfect quality. He really has ruined, what to me any how, is an important document of a great album.

As mentioned previously mine has gone back and they have refunded my money.

Bottom line for a commercial release the quality is very poor indeed.

Gary
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 03/03/09 05:06 PM
Have any fans over in Australia been to any of Gary's gigs so far this week?

There's a demo clip of one of his new tracks "The Fall" on Gary's website which I think sounds rather grand. I recall hearing an early version of this song on the "Purified" tour CD.
Posted By: Black Shadow Re: Gary Numan - 03/04/09 12:14 PM
Quote:
Have any fans over in Australia been to any of Gary's gigs so far this week?
I have! Brill concert! cool
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 03/04/09 01:20 PM
Great!

Was it your first Numan gig?
Posted By: Black Shadow Re: Gary Numan - 03/05/09 03:18 AM
Yep!

And it won't be my last that's for sure. cool
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 03/05/09 09:40 AM
There's some photos here.
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 04/01/09 12:35 PM
Quote:
There's a demo clip of one of his new tracks "The Fall" on Gary's website which I think sounds rather grand. I recall hearing an early version of this song on the "Purified" tour CD.
Yeah, The Fall sounds great! Can't wait to hear the finished version.
Dead Son Rising and Splinter are set to be killer albums cool !!!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 04/01/09 12:45 PM
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to these, especially Dead Son... an album made up of unused tracks from the Exile, Pure and Jagged sessions can't be bad!

I wish a release date was more in sight...
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 04/01/09 12:55 PM
Do we know if it's certain to be some time in 2009 or whether that's just a hopeful?
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 04/01/09 01:08 PM
According to one of the last Numan email updates, Dead Son Rising was mooted for April.... which made sense, given that he's touring at the end of the month, but now I'm wondering, due to the lack of news, if it'll be a pre-album tour.

According to Gary's MySpace, both albums are scheduled for 2009...
Posted By: Black Shadow Re: Gary Numan - 04/04/09 04:44 AM
Quote:
There's some photos here.
Cheers Alex. cool
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 05/07/09 02:01 PM
Over at NuWORLD there are rumblings of a Pleasure Principle 'mini-tour': -

Quote:
Some of you may have noticed that a show at the Manchester Academy in November has just gone on sale on the NuWorld Store. This show was not intended to go on sale just yet until other ideas had come together but we've accidentally got a bit ahead of ourselves. However, we have decided to leave this show on sale but make the thinking behind it clearer for those of you interested in going to it.
This Manchester Academy show will be dedicated entirely to The Pleasure Principle album. This year is the 30th Anniversary of this album reaching Number 1, and of the Cars single that came from it, and so this show will celebrate those two anniversaries. It's possible that other Pleasure Principle shows will be added around this Manchester gig to create a Pleasure Principle mini tour. If that does come together we will announce any extra dates through Numind before putting them onto the main NuWorld web site. It depends somewhat on how much interest fans have in going to see a Pleasure Principle tour.
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 05/07/09 03:33 PM
A Pleasure Principle mini tour! laugh
I sure hope so.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 05/08/09 06:38 AM
Is Billy Currie going to play keyboards? wink
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 05/08/09 06:44 AM
Quote:
Is Billy Currie going to play keyboards? wink
ooh yeah... and violin on 'Conversation' & maybe throw in 'On Broadway' as an encore & see if Billy can better his Arp Odyssey solo from 'Living Ornaments '79.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 05/08/09 09:24 AM
I see Townsend are selling tickets. link
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 05/08/09 10:53 AM
We really need a tour , not just a one off show. Just like Replicas.
If the Nuworld email was working we could all hail him with 'interest'.

By the way, has anyone noticed just how many 30th Anniversary mini tours may be lying ahead of him over the next few years? laugh
I mean, what if he's celebrating so much that he never gets round to making any new material? Well hell, what do we do? Do we keep demanding nostalgia and stifle his artistic brilliance in the process, or do we lay off and give him space to think? I guess ultimately it's all up or down to him and he'll put a stop to the situation if it seems to be getting out of hand. *praying smilie*
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 05/08/09 11:27 AM
Knowing Gary, this might be the last of the 'retro' or 'anniversary' shows. The Replicas one left him with a bitter taste - as if he wasn't cynical about digging up the past to begin with!

Whether it's a single show or a small tour, I'm sure it will be great, but I'd catch it if you can!

The email link ha been faulty since the new site came online. I have messaged the Numan camp via MySpace, since they run that now and mentioned it, in case they didn't know - but they probably do!
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 06/12/09 09:35 AM
Just returned from Gary's gig in Bristol on the 10th. Immense , as usual smile !!!

The setlist was pretty much the same as that of the April gigs (except without 'Fold' or 'Fallen'), it seems. So no, it wasn't promoting one of his upcoming albums... Shame really - Dead Son Rising seems to be taking a fair bit longer than was expected frown , but HEY, you can't rush genius.

'The Fall' was probably one of the best songs on the night. The charactersitic stomp of the tune works remarkably well live laugh

Hmm, don't really know what to make of the support band though (Dirty Harry again). Forgive me for saying so but I wish there were another more Numanoid band out there somewhere...
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/12/09 09:46 AM
I don't know why he doesn't get Deviant UK to do support, since I think they're doing their own material now (I think). Or just get Mesh back!

I didn't like Dirty Harry.

The lack of news on DSR is getting a bit frustrating, given that it was supposed to come out in April - ie when the tour originally started! THis does appear to be a tour for no reason, with nothing new to support and very poor promotion.

The Fall is a superb track and as a taster of things to come, I think it will be well worth the wait. If only a release date was in sight!
Posted By: maryann Re: Gary Numan - 06/12/09 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by OurFriendAnalogue:
Just returned from Gary's gig in Bristol on the 10th. [b]Immense , as usual smile !!!
[/b]
Great to hear the gig went well. Any photos?
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/12/09 11:57 AM
There's some great pics and a review here from Gary's gig in Wolverhampton, back in April.
Posted By: maryann Re: Gary Numan - 06/12/09 12:01 PM
Thanks Alex. Setlist is a good one.
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 06/12/09 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
Originally posted by OurFriendAnalogue:
[b] Just returned from Gary's gig in Bristol on the 10th. [b]Immense , as usual smile !!!
[/b]
Great to hear the gig went well. Any photos? [/b]
Nah, sorry, I don't have a decent camera at the mo! Added to the fact that I was too scared to take it in after thinking someone had nicked 50 quid from my suitcase at the station (they hadn't, thank god). laugh And obviously they were searching bags...all that hassle :rolleyes:
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Gary Numan - 06/13/09 08:35 AM
Not from the recent (current?) tour I'm afraid, but nevertheless here are some pics I took of Gary at his Repicas show at Wolverhampton on the 10th of March last year.

Rob
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 06/13/09 09:26 AM
Some great photo's from the gig the other night!

I'm with you Alex Numan frustrates you more than any other artists, quite why DSR is taking so long is a mystery as the basic songs were already there from outtakes of previous sessions so it was only a case of moulding the material in to better quality songs. He certainly does n't help himself with saying material will be out by ..... then it is months after when the stuff is released.

I can only think of one band that is worse than Numan regards releasing stuff and that is Kraftwerk, there output is unbelievable, quite how the record company puts up with it I don't know, at there normal rate there next album should be due when they are 80 years of age!!

Gary Hunter\'s Official Homepage
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/13/09 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
Not from the recent (current?) tour I'm afraid, but nevertheless here are some pics I took of Gary at his [b]Repicas show at Wolverhampton on the 10th of March last year.

Rob [/b]
Rob, those photos are fantastic! Thanks for sharing them smile

They're probably some of the most enigmatic shots I've seen of Gary for a while. I found it very difficult to take good photos on the Replicas tour due to the lighting - you did a great job!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/13/09 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Hunter:
I can only think of one band that is worse than Numan regards releasing stuff and that is Kraftwerk, there output is unbelievable, quite how the record company puts up with it I don't know, at there normal rate there next album should be due when they are 80 years of age!!
Hmm, you obviously haven't tried waiting for a Peter Gabriel album to come out!!

With only one original member left, Kraftwerk aren't really Kraftwerk any more and I'm not even expecting a new album from them to be honest.

I suppose the "problem" in being a fan of older artists, is that is that they don't usually need to be prolific, and they can release new material as and when they feel like, without the record label pressure.

At least we know Gary has 2 new albums in the pipeline, DSR and Splinter. As you said, all the songs on DSR are leftovers from previous sessions, but I would imagine, from the various clips of them on the Pure and Jagged tour CDs, that many of them were just very rough or even starting points - or complete musically but without any real vocal or lyrics.

It's clear from The Fall, that all of these songs are being re-fashioned into the current sound and style with Ade Fenton.

I would imagine DSR could be a late Summer/early Autumn release. I would think he would want it out before the Pleasure Principle show(s), especially if an anniversary edition of that album is due to be released at the same time.
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 06/18/09 01:35 PM
Quote:
At least we know Gary has 2 new albums in the pipeline, DSR and Splinter.

I would imagine DSR could be a late Summer/early Autumn release. I would think he would want it out before the Pleasure Principle show(s), especially if an anniversary edition of that album is due to be released at the same time.
The timelines for '09 were started midway in '08, with the ending part of '09 as the most focused. Inevitably some things have changed but the end of this year is still okay. Theres also indications that the '79 and '81 live dvds are very much on track.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/30/09 08:44 AM
It's has been confirmed that there will be a full Pleasure Principle Tour in November - dates TBC!

I just hope all this nostalgia and old show reissues isn't delaying new material....
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 06/30/09 09:41 AM
Quote:
It's has been confirmed that there will be a full Pleasure Principle Tour in November - dates TBC!
I wonder if there'll be a live album? wink
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 06/30/09 09:44 AM
Woop Woop!!! Yesssssss laugh ! laugh ! laugh ! Cheers Alex (found out from you before NuMIND).
I know what I'll be doing with my day...
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 06/30/09 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
[b] It's has been confirmed that there will be a full Pleasure Principle Tour in November - dates TBC!
I wonder if there'll be a live album? wink [/b]
There'd better be..or something is very seriously 'up' laugh
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 06/30/09 09:47 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b] It's has been confirmed that there will be a full Pleasure Principle Tour in November - dates TBC!
I wonder if there'll be a live album? wink [/b]
There'd better be..or something is very seriously 'up' laugh [/b]
laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/30/09 10:05 AM
From the NuMind email:

At long last a full Pleasure Principle tour has been confirmed for the end of 2009 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of this landmark album, and the classic Cars single taken from it, reaching Number 1 in the UK charts. Previously we had only planned on a single show in Manchester but the response has been so fantastic and a full UK tour has been set up. The full tour listing of venues and dates will be announced later this week.
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 06/30/09 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
the end of this year is still okay.
'The Pleasure Principle' - 30th Anniversary Edition 21.09.09 confirmed.

'The Pleasure Principle' - Tour --.11.09 venues/dates to be confirmed.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 07:18 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[b]the end of this year is still okay.
'The Pleasure Principle' - 30th Anniversary Edition 21.09.09 confirmed.
[/b]
details? anything new on it?
where are the tracks? wink
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 09:35 AM
Confirmed where?
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 09:56 AM
Backstage Book - blog
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 10:04 AM
Quote:
details? anything new on it?
where are the tracks? wink
This is a good time to state this will NOT be a cleaned up version of the 'principle demos/sessions' cd'r as some people have asked. This is so much more.
Track list is still not available at this time smile but will contain a better song selection than the cd'r that some fans may have.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 10:47 AM
Sounds promising. Ta for the info newv.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 11:37 AM
I see John Foxx will be featured in the book too.

Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 11:45 AM
Somebody's keyboard needs a spacebar.
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 11:58 AM
Mr D, There will be interviews etc, with artists related to Gary's music history.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 12:06 PM
Yes so I see .. and hear from the myspace - perhaps Mr Foxx's words will also be put on the player?

It'll certainly be an intersting read.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 01:03 PM
Quote:
Backstage Book - blog
Hmm... I see that there isn't a mention of Cedric being contacted. I'm sure Gary said that "Cedric hates my guts" in an interview I read sometime ago. So there is probably more chance us Brits getting snow in July, than seeing any Cedric comments.
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Quote:
[b] Backstage Book - blog
Hmm... I see that there isn't a mention of Cedric being contacted. I'm sure Gary said that "Cedric hates my guts" in an interview I read sometime ago. So there is probably more chance us Brits getting snow in July, than seeing any Cedric comments. [/b]
Cedric was contacted and an interview took place several weeks ago.
Some interviews are already on the myspace / numanbook audio player.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 02:40 PM
that's excellent! Thanks very much. laugh
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 03:11 PM
Quote:
I'm sure Gary said that "Cedric hates my guts" in an interview I read sometime ago. So there is probably more chance us Brits getting snow in July, than seeing any Cedric comments.
Quote:
that's excellent! Thanks very much. laugh
'Storms in tea cups' mate, with snow moving in. smile
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/01/09 03:24 PM
I really, really wish the Numan camp would confirm the release date for Dead Son Rising.... clearly the mooted April release has long since passed!!
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 07/02/09 08:02 PM
Dates for the Pleasure Principle tour confirmed!!!:

NOVEMBER
17 Brighton Dome
18 Southampton Uni
19 Cardiff Solus
20 Sheffield Corporation
21 Manchester Academy
22 DAY OFF
23 Ireland Cork The Pavillion
24 Ireland Dublin Tripod
25 Leeds Academy
26 Edinburgh Picturehouse
27 Glasgow ABC
28 Sunderland The Campus
29 Norwich UEA
30 Wolverhampton Wulfren Hall

DECEMBER
1 Cambridge Junction
2 Nottingham Rock City
3 London Indigo
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/02/09 09:16 PM
This info has been posted on five sites, almost within the same minutes.

Result or what!

Know which ones i'll be at. wink
Posted By: Gem Re: Gary Numan - 07/05/09 04:24 PM
Hmm, so Gary's playing at Sheffield Corporation (directly behind my flat) on November 20th (my birthday). It'd feel rude not to go... laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/05/09 07:00 PM
I'm quite annoyed Gary is coming back to the Corp and not the new Academy, which is a much better and more suitable venue. The Replicas tour at the Corp was like watching the show through a letterbox.

Although the Corporation is the place for goth/alt/metal/etc fans, so I guess it's good from that point of view.
Posted By: Gem Re: Gary Numan - 07/05/09 07:47 PM
Yeah, I've never yet actually been inside, but it doesn't look all that big. Still...'Cars'!! laugh
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gem:
Hmm, so Gary's playing at Sheffield Corporation (directly behind my flat) on November 20th (my birthday). It'd feel rude not to go... laugh
So kind of him .... wink
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 12:12 PM
Available for pre-order now........

The Pleasure Principle 30th Anniversary Edition
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 12:26 PM
Quote:
Hurrah!
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 01:29 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] The Pleasure Principle 30th Anniversary Edition
Hurrah! [/b]
Blimey! I'm stunned - well worth it just for those Live EPs....but just a few niggles; can't say I'm impressed with the lazy disc artwork - would of been happier if they kept to the scans of the original Beggars labels. And why would you want the original vinyl of Living Ornaments '79 reproduced if you've got the all singing and all robotic dancing of the CD edition issued a few years ago?
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 01:57 PM
All in all another overpriced album from Townsend Records.
We're in a recession, guys!

Anyway, the whole package is a bit redundant if you've already got Living Ornaments 79. I find demo tracks have very limited appeal, so anybody who already has the original album and the live album are paying through the nose for a trickle of limited appeal demos and live bits.

Now, I'm curious about the inclusion of "Photograph" here - that's a Telekon b-side. Maybe it started life back in '79...
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 02:16 PM
Quote:
Anyway, the whole package is a bit redundant if you've already got Living Ornaments 79.

Now, I'm curious about the inclusion of "Photograph" here - that's a Telekon b-side. Maybe it started life back in '79...

The LO'79 tracks are the original versions, which in my opinion sound better than the remixed ones that appeared on the double cd of LO'79.

Yes, 'Photograph', was recorded at Freerange as part of the early sessions for TPP.
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 03:09 PM
Hmm, don't know whether it's worth buying this one. It's the same situation as Replicas Redux. These new editions are really for the guys out there who've only just decided/ realised they're fans. Now's a great time for them, I'm sure.

Erm, this may be a mildly idiotic question but why exactly were the box sets called Living Ornaments?
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 03:39 PM
Quote:
Update of info:

Although recorded as part of the freerange sessions, this version of 'Photograph' is a remaster of the track that does appear on the 'Telekon' cd.
'Trois Gymnopedies' is a demo version from freerange studios, and is not the version on the 'Telekon' cd.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 05:20 PM
I'll be booking my ticket for Southampton Uni as soon as I can. Saw Replicas last year(?) and it was a good nostalgic show

Personally, I think its great value. This is superb album and deserves this definitve treatment.

Now is indeed a great time. cool
Posted By: Chris C Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 08:16 PM
Thanks for the link! This is great news.

Cheers!
Chris wink
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 10:23 PM
It certainly is great news. I've pre-ordered my copy & have downloaded the demo version of 'Conversation' which is excellent.

I've been playing 'TPP' a heck of a lot over the last month or so & there is no sign of my ears getting tired of it. In fact I have been up in my studio listening to Metal, Films, Observer, Conversation, Cars & Random, tonight. The music sounds so fresh. Just like 'Metamatic' still does.

'TPP' is the album that sealed it for me. It was the one where I became a Numanoid.
Posted By: Gem Re: Gary Numan - 07/06/09 10:29 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gem:
[b] Hmm, so Gary's playing at Sheffield Corporation (directly behind my flat) on November 20th (my birthday). It'd feel rude not to go... laugh
So kind of him .... wink [/b]
I know, I feel kind of obliged now wink laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/07/09 08:44 AM
Quote:
The music sounds so fresh. Just like 'Metamatic' still does.
Spot on.

It is the definitive Numan album for me, and one that I never tire of. Even the quirky "Cars", despite its hundreds of reissues, still holds a certain charm.

The new CD will certainly be an ideal way to attract new fans, especially since it hasn't been on the shelves for a while now.

Out of all his early works I think this is the important one.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 07/07/09 08:46 AM
Have to agree of course. I think it has something to do with TPP and GN being so unique at the time. There was just nothing else like it.
Posted By: maryann Re: Gary Numan - 07/08/09 01:34 PM
Quote:
'TPP' is the album that sealed it for me. It was the one where I became a Numanoid.
Tubeway days is what did it for me. smile
Posted By: Black Shadow Re: Gary Numan - 07/16/09 03:39 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b] The Pleasure Principle 30th Anniversary Edition
Hurrah! [/b]
...but just a few niggles; can't say I'm impressed with the lazy disc artwork - would of been happier if they kept to the scans of the original Beggars labels. [/b]
So I guess it's like the re-issue of Replicas (Redux) - the original album cover on a slipcase but a different cover in the jewel case... smile
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/16/09 10:39 AM
Last night Numan appeared on stage with NIN at the O2 arena. They played Metal and Cars together.

Superb exposure for Gary, to an audience of this size!!

Trent introducing Gary & Metal

The bloke filing this goes completely bonkers with excitement. It's hilarious.

But Gary sounds bloody brilliant with NIN's powerful arrangement.

Cars
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/16/09 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sans Frontieres:
I guess it's like the re-issue of Replicas (Redux) - the original album cover on a slipcase but a different cover in the jewel case... smile
Yes thats it. And more thought has gone into the third disc this time round. smile

Quote:
He was more excited when Numan took to the stage, than when NIN came on at the beginning. Lets just say, the power of no promoting. smile

Quote:
The irony is, back in the US, NIN are unhappy with their fairwell shows, and have added more dates and different content to make this the Fairwell to tours, they had wished for. Guest appearences like this has helped them too.
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 07/16/09 02:45 PM
I've just picked up my Pleasure Principal tour tickets for the Edinburgh gig smile

At last Gary, after many many years since the first time you toured with this album, when as a very shy teenager I went to see you, alone I proceeded to join the queue outside the venue, and I promptly turned away and left!

Three guys who had been in my class at school from a few years before this time were also in the queue, recognised me, and heckled the hell out of me, so I didn't go into the gig frown

Its been a long time, and I no longer have my Numan haircut, but I'm ready to do battle laugh
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/16/09 06:02 PM
New close up video of Numan and NIN version's of \'Metal\', and \'Cars\'.

Theres also nearly a 'million'ish' performance photos of Numan and NIN on their sites and their fans have been very much in favour of Gary's appearance yesterday, judging by the forums.
Posted By: maryann Re: Gary Numan - 07/16/09 09:50 PM
Quote:
Last night Numan appeared on stage with NIN at the O2 arena. They played Metal and Cars together.

Trent introducing Gary & Metal

Thanks for the link, Alex

So wonderful to see/hear Gary up there with Trent.
Posted By: maryann Re: Gary Numan - 07/16/09 10:10 PM
Quote:
Theres also nearly a 'million'ish' performance photos of Numan and NIN on their sites and their fans have been very much in favour of Gary's appearance yesterday, judging by the forums.
Yes indeed. The photos/videos, everything....what a great aura of excitement.

I wish I could have been there. frown
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/17/09 12:37 PM
More good coverage on the BBC website today!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 07/17/09 01:31 PM
Quote:
More good coverage on the BBC website today!
..excellent!
Posted By: maryann Re: Gary Numan - 07/17/09 04:42 PM
Interesting noncomment about the upcoming Pleasure Principle tour and guitars.
Posted By: newvox Re: Gary Numan - 07/17/09 08:44 PM
Theres still new clips appearing on youtube. smile
Posted By: Priest Re: Gary Numan - 08/07/09 12:08 PM
Well the Numan profile certainly seems to be on the rise recently. There's been a good amount of media (especially BBC) coverage, the anticipation of the PP Tour also seems to be rising nicely. All this topped off with the NIN appearance.

I wonder where this leaves the already somewhat late Dead Son Rising (and Splinter?) projects? Will they be pushed back further to make room for the PP tour and anniversary release or will something be released to try to 'hook' returning / new attendees at the Nov tour. I'd personally prefer the latter. And with all the positive reaction to the NIN guest slot, wouldn't it be nice to have DSR on sale sooner rather than later to satisfy the curious as to what Numan is up to these days.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 08/10/09 06:53 PM
Agreed.

Gary has admitted to "dragging his feet" with DSR for reasons only known to him. Shame.

But he really ought to get his act together in the light of the high profile NIN appearance and the fact that the album is being namechecked in recent interviews.

Hopefully the TPP reissue will lead people, perhaps unfamiliar with what he's up to now, to check out DSR, providing he ever gets it finished!
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 08/13/09 09:19 AM
Hey, has anyone seen this advert on stv recently? [url=Natural Scotland advert]http://www.tvadmusic.co.uk/2009/07/scottish-government-go-greener/[/url] Couldn't believe my eyes/ears when I saw it!!!!
laugh cool Legend cool laugh
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 08/13/09 09:21 AM
Sorry, I did that link wrong shocked .
Here it is:
Natural Scotland advert
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 08/13/09 10:44 AM
Hi OurFriend: there's a thread here.. forum link
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 08/17/09 01:48 PM
Does anyone know anything about this?

Gary Numan - Hammersmith '84
Vinyl - Hand-numbered Limited Edition, 100 copies pressed.

Recorded at Hammersmith Odeon, London, December 1984

http://www.discogs.com/Gary-Numan-Hammersmith-84/release/1798842

Does anyone know why it was released? After all, this is just half of White Noise isn't it?
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 09/23/09 11:16 AM
Ah! - there's nothing like the conspiracy theories of a Numanoid to remind you that life is worth living - see the review...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pleasure-Principle-Gary-Numan/dp/B002GKC34I/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added

Will now have to give Replicas Redux a critical ear!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/23/09 11:58 AM
Ah, the typical grumpy Numanoid!

Somebody really ought to teach him about punctuation.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 09/23/09 02:57 PM
And he is not strong
And he is not force
And he is not reg-u-lar
He is just wrong.

da da da da smile wink
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 09/23/09 03:10 PM
Quote:
And he is not strong
And he is not force
And he is not reg-u-lar
He is just wrong.

da da da da smile wink
laugh Brilliant!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/25/09 11:16 AM
http://thequietus.com/articles/02803-gary-numan-and-nine-inch-nail-s-trent-reznor-to-collaborate
Posted By: Priest Re: Gary Numan - 09/25/09 11:26 AM
While I would really like to hear what Gaz and Trent come up with I'll believe its happening only when I'm holding it in my hands. There have been so many of these possibilities mentioned in the past that never came to fruition. Some of the more tantalising possibilities were Billy Corgan, Wayne Hussey, Andy Gray and the Prodigy. I'd have had more than a passing interest in any of these.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/25/09 11:38 AM
True. I would rather Numan shift his robotic rump, and get Dead Son Rising finished, and out!
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 09/25/09 01:31 PM
Think I'll wait for the forthcoming live album wink
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/25/09 02:27 PM
The demos sound rough and it's clearly not a recent recording!!
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 09/29/09 11:53 AM
A rare and wonderful thing has happened this week - The Pleasure Principle is back in the UK 'top 100' album charts at number 98.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 09/29/09 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
A rare and wonderful thing has happened this week - The Pleasure Principle is back in the UK 'top 100' album charts at number 98.
Play it all back, play it all back... laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/29/09 12:34 PM
By Numan's standards, and also given how much dross resides in the same list - that is quite an achievement!
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 10/05/09 09:16 AM
Quote:
True. I would rather Numan shift his robotic rump, and get Dead Son Rising finished, and out!
Hear, hear, quite frankly laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 10/08/09 03:37 PM
Gary will be interviewed on Later... with Jools Holland on tomorrow evening's show (9th Oct).

I was hoping for a live set... a Numan appearance on Later is long overdue! At least an interview is better than nothing at all.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 10/08/09 03:45 PM
Thanks Alex ... what what he's got to say. Pity no performance tho.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 10/08/09 03:50 PM
From what I gather, he was in the audience, so it'll probably be the usual Jools-at-the-table 2 minute interview. But it's a good show to be on, and he'll no doubt be plugging the TPP reissue!

Hopefully it'll spurr Jools on to get him to play live...
Posted By: nightporter Re: Gary Numan - 10/08/09 05:02 PM
yes indeed its an interview only,according to the email i got from numid.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 10/10/09 11:46 AM
Ecxiting news from NuWorld:

The Pleasure Principle tour is now less than six weeks away. I can't promise anything but I will try to get a guest or two to pop up once in a while as the tour progresses. Dirty Harry are now confirmed as the support band for the tour. Harry played many, if not all, of the other UK Numan shows this year. As many of you have probably already figured out the total amount of Pleasure Principle music comes to about 50 minutes. So, I'm likely to play the show in two halves, a Pleasure Principle set, plus a second set which will be more of a mixture of other older songs, some obscure, some not so obscure, and as many brand new songs as I can write between now and then. I hate making claims about how good the lighting will be as the venues themselves vary enormously and will dictate at times what we can load in. However, we are hoping to bring some things we've never used before which, in the factory at least, look amazing.
With this tour our usual CD audio programme is going to become a DVD programme called 'Conversation'. It will be more like a mini documentary film about the making of the original album and tour and many other things relevant to that time.

We will also have available the DVD version of the original Touring Principle video, called The Touring Principle 1979 - (30th Anniversary Edition). This DVD includes the original version that was swamped in special video effects, plus a new version with those effects removed. It also features an interview with me.

Obviously we also intend to film the tour at some point. That DVD will be called The Pleasure Principle 2009.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 10/10/09 02:15 PM
Great news on the Dvdees .. !
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 10/10/09 07:37 PM
Quote:
From what I gather, he was in the audience, so it'll probably be the usual Jools-at-the-table 2 minute interview. But it's a good show to be on, and he'll no doubt be plugging the TPP reissue!

Hopefully it'll spurr Jools on to get him to play live...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z6DlCl6jvQ
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 10/10/09 07:37 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] From what I gather, he was in the audience, so it'll probably be the usual Jools-at-the-table 2 minute interview. But it's a good show to be on, and he'll no doubt be plugging the TPP reissue!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z6DlCl6jvQ [/b]
..and the tour!
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 10/11/09 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that Gary is going to be on the Johnnie walker show today from 3pm.

Steve Wright mentioned it on his show this morning.

Loads of info on the Numan website about TPP remaster & tour.
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 10/11/09 02:46 PM
Gary Numan has an upcoming show on 6 Music - "October 17 - More Back To The Phuture with Mark Jones and Gary Numan."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/6mix/
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 10/12/09 08:12 AM
Quote:
Gary Numan has an upcoming show on 6 Music - "October 17 - More Back To The Phuture with Mark Jones and Gary Numan."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/6mix/
Looks like a good show - Rusty Eagan was on last time. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n8xlk#segments

"the third in his series of shows" Anyone hear the previous ones?
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 10/12/09 10:33 AM
Nice article in the Times Online complete with Foxx reference!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 10/12/09 11:04 AM
Well spotted Alex - duly twittered!

"I want to get two albums out back to back.." - got that?

"I'm supposed to be recording a live session with her (Little Boots).." - she never told us!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 10/14/09 09:54 AM
Great pic posted on The Quiet Man ... John & Gazza 1979...

see it here

(best caption competition now officially open smile )
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 10/18/09 06:05 PM
Very interesting read ..... as for 2 albums out back to back, I will believe it when I see it!

Gary
Posted By: Will Re: Gary Numan - 10/19/09 12:31 AM
Quote:
"I want to get two albums out back to back.." -
Aye!!!.....RIGHT!!!!,just as Numan said after Jagged he'd NEVER wait 5 years to put out a new album ever again!!
Love Numan to bits but he does p**s me off with his empty promises of this and that that never eventually happens,wait long enough to think we've forgotten he said so
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 11/15/09 05:06 PM
Gary has posted an update on the Pleasure Principle tour: -

Quote:
''The Pleasure Principle 2009 tour rehearsals are nearly finished. I have a day in Nottingham tomorrow with Ade Fenton programming the lights and projections for the tour and then we have one final day of rehearsal on monday. After a great deal of uncertainty about how to play the Pleasure Principle songs on this tour I have decided to play them as they were originally recorded. The arrangements are the same, the sounds as close as we can get, no guitar, no loops, no industrial versions. Everything has been stripped back to the way it was in 1979. I finally decided that as it's the 30th Anniversary of the album I should celebrate the album as it was, not a heavy revamped version of it. I hope that meets with the approval of most of you. The Pleasure Principle songs take up, roughly, the first 50 minutes or so of the show. The rest will be a mix of new and old. The London show will be filmed and recorded for a special 30th Anniversary DVD.''
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 11/15/09 07:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing this on Wednesday - evn more so now the 'originality' is confirmed laugh
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 11/15/09 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong
Looking forward to seeing this on Wednesday - evn more so now the 'originality' is confirmed
Me too - going on the 30th Nov.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 11/15/09 10:53 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong
[b]Looking forward to seeing this on Wednesday - evn more so now the 'originality' is confirmed
Me too - going on the 30th Nov. [/b]
Might see you there, Mike. I'm going to Wolverhampton too.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/16/09 07:54 AM
An update on working with Little Boots...

"Apologies once again for the poor rate of updates but things have been extremely busy for the last few weeks. I've done too many interviews to mention but I will try to let you know when they are being published or broadcast. I have a 'live combo' radio session with Little Boots coming up soon for BBC 6 Music and subscribers to our Numind database will soon be able to enter a competition to win tickets for the recording."
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 11/17/09 03:37 PM
Quote:
Two new DVDs will be made available on The Pleasure Principle 2009 UK Tour, which starts next Tues (November 17). The Touring Principle '79 was the first ever music video cassette when it was released in 1980. It's now on DVD for the first time and features the original footage of the 11 songs filmed on Gary Numan's debut tour, without any 'special effects'. The version that came out on video is also included as an 'extra' along with an interview with the singer. The Touring Principle '79 will also be released via the Official Shop at www.numan.co.uk after the tour.

The limited edition Conversation DVD is a 90-minute, in depth interview with Gary about The Pleasure Principle album, filmed at Play Studios in London where he's surrounded by the kind of synthesizers that he used on the original record. This will be made available exclusively on the UK dates as a new DVD Tour Programme and if there are any copies left via www.numan.co.uk after the final London show on 3 December.

You can see clips from The Touring Principle '79 and Conversation on Gary's You Tube page: www.youtube.com/garynumanofficial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7PDS9j1Pzw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kejtP188RHs
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 11/17/09 04:00 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Two new DVDs will be made available on The Pleasure Principle 2009 UK Tour...
Cheers D! Glad to read The Touring Principle comes with the original 70s FX version also!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 11/17/09 10:13 PM
Noo-man, Noo-man

Just practising for tomorrow evening.
Bring it on laugh
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 11/18/09 02:52 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned before but a band I like called The Leisure Society have done a cover version of Cars. You can find it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4rFsPRRLU
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Gary Numan - 11/18/09 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
Don't know if this has been mentioned before but a band I like called [b]The Leisure Society have done a cover version of Cars. You can find it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4rFsPRRLU [/b]
That's ace ! Along the same lines, can we expect La Bottine Souriante to rework "Tanz der Mussolini " or Kate and Anna McGarrigle to do "Nag , Nag ,Nag "
Cajun and electronica , the way forward ! smile
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 11/18/09 11:41 PM
All that we are
Is all that we need to be...

Buy tickets to the Pleasure Principle tour.

Go see Numan - NOW!!!
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 11/19/09 07:33 AM
Brighton sounded heavy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uyuNq7Cg7w

He ain't no Cedric Sharpley!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZPDk5qkHTY
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 11/19/09 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:
Quote:
[b] Don't know if this has been mentioned before but a band I like called [b]The Leisure Society have done a cover version of Cars. You can find it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl4rFsPRRLU [/b]
That's ace ! Along the same lines, can we expect La Bottine Souriante to rework "Tanz der Mussolini " or Kate and Anna McGarrigle to do "Nag , Nag ,Nag "
Cajun and electronica , the way forward ! smile [/b]
Yes excellent - I was reminded of The Homemade Orchestra's version of "Love Action"
(nowhere to be found on youtube - I'll see if I can get it up..so to speak)
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 11/19/09 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
All that we are
Is all that we need to be...

Buy tickets to the Pleasure Principle tour.

Go see Numan - NOW!!!
we wish .... frown
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 11/19/09 12:18 PM
A new interview can be found here: -

http://thequietus.com/articles/03240-gar...flying-machines
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 11/19/09 01:16 PM
I'm not going to spill anything, or give the plot away, but I will admit that Numan's TPP show on Wednesday in Southampton was probably the best I've seen him (of half a dozen gigs)
The show was considerably better than Replicas at the same venue, but that may be because I prefer TPP as an album anyway.

The light show was really impressive, there's a lot of power and passion in the new material,and of course the endearing nostalgia of hearing tracks like Conversation and Engineers live for the first time
Posted By: feline1 Re: Gary Numan - 11/22/09 01:30 PM
I was at the Brighton gig.

I basically really enjoyed the Pleasure Principle set - they pretty much tried to just play those songs exactly as they are on the original album, getting as close to the original arrangements and synth sounds as they could - but it was most certainly still done LIVE, complete with all the little mistakes and fun that go with that.
I genuinely got shivers and goosepimples when the high strings came in on FILMS.
A particular treat was when Chris Payne came on at the end to play electric viola on COMPLEX! wow!

Unfortunately (for me), Numan then decided to treat us to a further free hour of "new stuff", which I found rather tedious lol as it was all hapless nu-metal-industrial-gothcore or sthg, accompanied by sludge guitars and video projections of women covered in blood (?! wtf was all that about). I kinda felt like I'd just had a wonderful delicious meal, and then after the final coffee I'd suddenly been forcefed a bucket of KFC and BigMacs. But hey, that was just a 'bonus' ;p
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/22/09 02:13 PM
I saw the tour in Sheffield on Friday, and am sad to say that I was quite disappointed - mainly because The Corporation is an utterly awful venue.

The sound was absolutely rubbish during the second half, and the major disappointment was there was no big glowing triangle - the main projection screen was missing and the other two were barely visible, hidden behind the synths due to such a microscopic stage. And and no strip lights either.

The stage at that venue is so small, there was barely enough room for the band, and in the second half, the sound was one big, muddy mix with inaudiable vocals.

At least the Pleasure Principle part looked and sounded fantastic, and that's what I'd gone to see. That album is my favourite of Numan's early albums, and it was a genuine thrill to hear tracks such as Engineers, Conversation and Random played live - as in properly live!

Gary looked the best I have ever seen him - very smart, an those songs sounded better than ever. And what a joy to see him playing (or at least leaning over) synthesiser.

But as I said, the second half of the show was disappointing. Songs like Pure, Jagged and Haunted all plodded along so slowly, I could have gone to sleep. It sounded so boring after the glowing TPP tracks. I wish he'd played a lot more older stuff or some of the lesser-played recent tracks. And I love his later material, I really do, but his choice of songs for the prolonged agony of the second half, just didn't compare to the magnificence of the TPP songs. They still sound so fresh and exciting.

I'm sure in a better, bigger venue, with better acoustics, these tracks would have sounded impressive and powerful as I'm sure Gary intended. But in a shoe box of a venue, there was no hope.
Posted By: Gem Re: Gary Numan - 11/23/09 11:45 PM
Yeah, I was there too in Sheffield on Friday (my birthday! Cheers, Gary laugh ) and have to concur with Alex. The TPP material was ace, but the second half dragged badly due to the dreadful sound. Plus, Corporation is a pit. In fairness, it is famed for that locally, so I don't know what I expected. Given that I, Mr. Storer and Peter (what a nice surprise! smile ) were being trampled underfoot by random people all night, it didn't go too badly, I suppose...
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/24/09 09:53 AM
It was the first time in 11 years of going to Numan gigs, that I've come out feeling less than satisfied. In fact, I'm still considering going to Rock City to make up for it!
Posted By: metal beat Re: Gary Numan - 11/24/09 05:28 PM
Thank you Alex and Gem for your posts. I agree entirely with your views about the venue (not the place to take your girlfriend to frown ) and about the show, there's not a lot for me to add. It was nice to see Gary live again but I wouldn't go back to that venue. The only other thing I found was with the mixing, Gary's voice was totally lost, especially during the second half.

Thank you Alex for your hospitality over the weekend.

It was a nice surprise to see you Gem. That was unexpected.

Peter
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/24/09 06:41 PM
I saw the Replicas tour at the same venue, and although it was still the same, tiny dive of a venue, the sound then was quite good.

But as I said on the night - I couldn't sit at home and know Gary was playing in town!
Posted By: sam.vox Re: Gary Numan - 11/26/09 12:58 PM
Having seen the set list for Brighton, I would say that the end of Complex is the time I will be heading for the Indigo O2 car park.

Nothing screams essential from 'The Fall' onwards.

Random
Airlane
Metal
Films
M.E.
Tracks
Observer
Conversation
Cars
Engineers
Asylum
Complex (feat Chris Payne)
The Fall
Down in the park
Pure
Haunted
Halo
Jagged
Are 'Friends' Electric?

In a Dark Place
A Prayer for the Unborn
We Are So Fragile

I've bought Numans music since 79 and love Pure and Jagged, but as I have already said over on EV, the new stuff is just too messy live. It seems to be a contest as to who can get the most distortion out of their guitar.

Numan usually has two keyboard players for the nu-metal stuff, although I'm not sure what for, unless it is to add more sampled distortion to the mix.

Can't wait for the first half of the show though.

Gary has a choice, give people what they want or give them what he wants. The choice is totally his to make, but he needs to understand that for a large amount of the fan base the two may not be compatible.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 11/26/09 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sam.vox:
Gary has a choice, give people what they want or give them what he wants. The choice is totally his to make, but he needs to understand that for a large amount of the fan base the two may not be compatible.
I'd rather wait & see what he gives me when I buy the next new release & judge the whole package when I hear it.

It took a while before I became hooked on 'Jagged'. It's my third favourite Numan album. So I'm glad I gave it time.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 11/26/09 06:45 PM
The set list was slightly different at Southampton, because Complex was earlier as per the album's running order.
I came away thinking that Cars is actually a very weak track in the context of the album, although obviously it proved a very strong choice as a single.

Also, I recall that Numan took some persuading to do this TPP retro tour, so its hardly surprising that he seemed to want to 'get it over with'...

It all worked for me perfectly. If it is just a case of 'give em what they want' (which maybe what persuaded him to do the gigs in the first place), then the set list is pretty good and covers all bases I reckon.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/27/09 07:45 AM
I am a big fan of Gary's current music - my problem with the gig was all down to a crap venue and sound. Although his choice of songs was a bit predictable, I'd heard all the tracks live before, and know how good they usually sound.

And I think the contrast in styles was maybe too great in this instance. I was so into the synth-driven, more minimal sounding Pleasure Principle set, I didn't want it to end!

I've seen the clips on YouTube from the Southampton gig and it looked great. Martin, is it true that Chris Payne joined them on stage to play some electric violin?
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 11/27/09 09:23 AM
I don't recall this at Southampton - there didn't seem to be any more specific cheering or whatever, and certainly no introduction...

But for the first four or five tracks I couldn't see well. And the band throughout TPP were lit from the back and in silhouette most of the time
Posted By: MACHMAN Re: Gary Numan - 12/01/09 12:59 AM
Quote:
I am a big fan of Gary's current music - my problem with the gig was all down to a crap venue and sound. Although his choice of songs was a bit predictable, I'd heard all the tracks live before, and know how good they usually sound.

And I think the contrast in styles was maybe too great in this instance. I was so into the synth-driven, more minimal sounding Pleasure Principle set, I didn't want it to end!

I've seen the clips on YouTube from the Southampton gig and it looked great. Martin, is it true that Chris Payne joined them on stage to play some electric violin?
So far that happened at Brighton only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0A6p3Dbe0g

Lewis
Posted By: Will Re: Gary Numan - 12/01/09 01:36 AM
Hey Lewis...good to see ya here buddy!!

..Will post a few pics and YouTube links of the Edinburgh and Glasgow gigs soon

Both were excellent...sond was BIG and crisp...the band DID look [i]bored[/] playing the PP stuff but I personaly think this is all part of the 'SHOW!'...contrast from what he started out with to were he is now....
Personaly I enjoyed both halfs of the show but could have done with a more 'up-tempo' end to the show wink
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 12/01/09 07:38 AM
"We Are Glass" should have been the closing track!
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 12/01/09 08:05 AM
The gig at wolverhampton was good. Nothing special, just good. Sound was ok, although I could hardly hear the bass player (is he a new one?). I enjoyed both sets in equal measure,. The highlight of the first set being 'Conversation' & the worst being a messy 'Asylum'. Second set highlight was 'We Are So Fragile' & the worst, a horrible version of 'Jagged', which I think is close to an Ade Fenton mix from 'Jagged Edge' which is very disjointed.

I really do have an issue with Richard Beasley's drumming at times. He puts fills in the wrong places a lot of the time & sometimes he plays too fast & slightly out of time. I don't expect his playing to be exactly like Cedric's playing on TPP, but close to it wouldn't have been a bad thing.

The support band 'Dirty Harry' were so banal.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 12/01/09 11:12 AM
The current band line-up is not Gary's best. I much preferred the line up Gary used from the mid-90s right up to the 2006 Telekon shows.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 12/01/09 11:25 AM
And I've had the misfortune to see Dirty Harry twice now and I don't like them at all!
Posted By: MACHMAN Re: Gary Numan - 12/01/09 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Hey Lewis...good to see ya here buddy!!

..Will post a few pics and YouTube links of the Edinburgh and Glasgow gigs soon

Both were excellent...sond was BIG and crisp...the band DID look [i]bored[/] playing the PP stuff but I personaly think this is all part of the 'SHOW!'...contrast from what he started out with to were he is now....
Personaly I enjoyed both halfs of the show but could have done with a more 'up-tempo' end to the show wink
Hi Will, hows it going?
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 12/01/09 01:13 PM
I was at the Wolverhampton show last night. Very impressed, this was the best of the 3 Numan shows I have seen at this venue. Having criticised the sound at the recent Little Boots show, the sound was spot on here for both parts of the set. Fantastic stage lighting too.

I think the set-list pretty well matched the list from Brighton, although the encore consisted of only two songs, We Are So Fragile followed by A Prayer for the Unborn.

I decided to stay in the bar for the support act.
Posted By: fons Re: Gary Numan - 12/01/09 11:48 PM
Anyone here going to the London gig the 3rd?
I'll be there as well...I look like this --> laugh
Posted By: MACHMAN Re: Gary Numan - 12/02/09 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by fons:
Anyone here going to the London gig the 3rd?
I'm going but not to the gig, just to say hi to friends wait for them in the slug and lettace and have a drink with them afterwards

I'll be the one dressed in black......
Posted By: quietrumrunnerman Re: Gary Numan - 12/02/09 09:35 AM
MACHMAN wrote:
Quote:
I'll be the one dressed in black.....
Did I hear the Father Ted Appreciation Society were holding a vigil in the Slug? wink
Posted By: MACHMAN Re: Gary Numan - 12/04/09 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by quietrumrunnerman:
MACHMAN wrote:
Quote:
I'll be the one dressed in black.....
Did I hear the Father Ted Appreciation Society were holding a vigil in the Slug? wink
To be sure, to be sure....

Go on, go on,go on, go on....GO ON!!!!!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 12/04/09 03:30 PM
Interview and Little Boots meeting feature in The Guardian
Posted By: fons Re: Gary Numan - 12/06/09 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MACHMAN:
Quote:
[b] Anyone here going to the London gig the 3rd?
I'm going but not to the gig, just to say hi to friends wait for them in the slug and lettace and have a drink with them afterwards

I'll be the one dressed in black...... [/b]
Well, I tried to pick you out of the crowd but failed to do so laugh
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 12/08/09 01:49 PM
Gary & little Boots - 'Venus In Furs'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 12/08/09 02:01 PM
Great!
Posted By: fons Re: Gary Numan - 12/08/09 10:36 PM
here some photo's I made at the O2 Indigo smile

Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 12/09/09 12:14 AM
Quote:
here some photo's I made at the O2 Indigo

Really lovely photos fons, many thanks for posting,
(Gary was also looking in great form at the gig I attended)
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 12/09/09 12:27 AM
WOW! That is the best photo of Gary I've seen in ages - definitely the best photo I've seen from the tour. That's fantastic!
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 12/09/09 07:36 AM
Quote:
WOW! That is the best photo of Gary I've seen in ages - definitely the best photo I've seen from the tour. That's fantastic!
Awesome! Awesome!! Awesome!!! Send them all to Gary, Fons. I'm sure he'll be impressed.

The one at the bottom with Gary on synth should be used as the cover for the live DVD.

ultra cool pics
Posted By: solenoid Re: Gary Numan - 12/09/09 10:51 AM
Great shots Fons. Now I really regret not going back to the UK for this tour!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 12/09/09 12:30 PM
The Pleasure Principle tour has clearly been a huge success - what's been so special about it is hearing that whole album live, with Gary playing some keyboards, and overall emulating those classic analogue sounds very well (IMO).

This is the sound that people still associate with Numan (I'm largely talking the general gig-goers and record buying public, rather than hardcore fans), and even today, it sounds timeless, and unlike anything else.

I'm wondering if Gary - especially after the success of all three retro tours - should reintegrate a lot of these sounds into the new music. There was clearly some of this on Jagged Edge, and I think it worked wonderfully. The atmosphere and power of Gary's new music, combined with that distinctive, classic Numan sound, I think, would be a great move for him.

Personally, I think the whole industrial/goth metal scene peaked a few years ago, and it's clear today, that analogue is more popular... Little Boots, La Roux, Goldfrapp, and of course John Foxx have all made a clear impression with these sounds, and it's very 'current' again.

I think, had Gary managed to release Jagged much sooner - ie on the back of the success of the 'Rip' and 'Crazier' singles, he would have seen much more success and acclaim with it, but I think it's poor sales reflected the delay in its release, and the whole industrial scene had kind of gone back underground by then.

Of course all of that it just my perception/opinion, but I'd be interested to know what everyone else thinks.
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 12/09/09 01:00 PM
Quote:
it sounds timeless, and unlike anything else.

I'm wondering if Gary - especially after the success of all three retro tours - should reintegrate a lot of these sounds into the new music.

The atmosphere and power of Gary's new music, combined with that distinctive, classic Numan sound, I think, would be a great move for him.

it's clear today, that analogue is more popular...

the whole industrial scene had kind of gone back underground by then.

I agree with you 100% there Alex S, having experienced the PP album after so many years of not having heard it from start to end, I am bowled over by just how fresh it sounds, when I played it recently to the 'non-numan' friend who didn't make it to the gig with me, they really felt they'd missed something great there in not having experienced it performed live.

The industrial scene has well and truly peaked in the metal/rage singing form that made it so popular with its fans, that's why its crucial that Gary does something radical with it, not radical in the sense that he adds funky sounds or such nonsense, but getting back to his own core analogue cool sound, and having it take prominence, and use the atmospheric sea of powerful guitars and reverb, well, who knows... But if he brought anything out as close again to the PP album it might return him straight to the mainstream, how fantastic would that be.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 12/09/09 01:11 PM
Couldn't agree more!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 12/09/09 01:13 PM
Well if he has any sense then i think he will (should) re-examine the TPP sound not just as retro but as something that still sounds good and original after all this time (cf Metamatic). That said he always seems to be so negative towards it ("I hate retro") although even the goth thing is now retro .. so hopefully he'll move away from that too!
Might be interesting to see what he came up with with Little Boots on Monday ... I can only find this (and I can't even play it!):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/events/hub/artists/nuboots.shtml

edit: more pics here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_sheppard/sets/72157622841885753/
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 12/09/09 01:24 PM
There's only the one song on BBC6 at the moment - but they will put more on.

Apparently the session will be broadcast on BBC 6 Music on Friday December 11 at 7pm, and it will also be available to view on the BBC Red Button for a week from Friday 29th January 2010.

So Gary says, anyway!

He has said - both online and at the end of the London gig (it's on youtube somewhere) just how much he enjoyed this tour...

The Pleasure Principle Tour is now over. A blinding night at the Indigo in the O2 Arena was a very fitting finale to such a great tour. The crowd were fantastic and, despite the band having played fifteen shows with just one day off, we were lifted by the response, all tiredness was pushed aside and show number sixteen delivered at full power. The filming was, according to the director, the best we've ever done and I will start to work on the soundtrack mixing at the end of next week. It's our intention to have the tour DVD ready for release in February.
This was a truly enjoyable tour to play. Having the opportunity to play keyboards for much of the first 50 minutes, the Pleasure Principle section, was a genuine pleasure for me. I hadn't played keyboards on those songs since they were first recorded in 1979. The transition from PP era songs to the newer stuff in the second half of the show seemed to work well, extremely well for most people. The rise in energy and power of the second half did not take away a thing from the Pleasure Principle material, but did highlight the progression from '79 to '2009 in the best way possible. For me it was a chance to showcase songs from opposite ends of my career and I was extremely happy with the response, night after night. Didn't think I'd ever be saying that a year or two ago.

In this period of recession I can only say how grateful I am that so many people came out to see the show as it moved around the country so a huge thank you to everyone that came along and made the tour such a success.

Now I move into a period of intensive studio work. We have Dead Son Rising to finish, Splinter to get written and recorded, and both albums will be released in 2010, one in Spring, one in late summer is the current plan. Even with all the studio work 2010 will be spent mainly on the road promoting those two new albums, in the UK and elsewhere. The final two days filming of the promo video for The Fall will be done before Christmas although we have yet to decide on a release date for the single. Lot's more going on which I will tell you about as soon as I can remember. Thanks again for coming along to the tour. I genuinely loved it.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 12/11/09 08:46 PM
Quote:

Apparently the session will be broadcast on BBC 6 Music on Friday December 11 at 7pm, and it will also be available to view on the BBC Red Button for a week from Friday 29th January 2010.
missed it frown and it's says you can't listen to it again confused
Posted By: Brian Re: Gary Numan - 12/12/09 02:07 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b]

missed it frown and it's says you can't listen to it again confused [/b]
Mark I have it recorded let me know if I can help.

Brian
Posted By: Will Re: Gary Numan - 12/12/09 09:50 PM
A few pics from Edinburgh and Glasgow

Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 12/12/09 11:56 PM
Ace photos Will,
(I particularly love the third one down), thanks for posting these smile
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 12/13/09 11:47 AM
Great photos Will and thanks for your mail laugh
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 12/18/09 07:17 PM
Not really a fan of Gary but the few songs of him & Little Boots on youtube are good.
Posted By: fons Re: Gary Numan - 12/18/09 08:20 PM
Last week I finished downloading this Numan dvd bootleg from the last tour on "Dime" (from Edinburgh). Recommended! nice video, sound is good too.

@Will, that last photo of yours is really cool!

greetings,
fons
Posted By: Lody Herst Re: Gary Numan - 12/19/09 07:34 PM
Verdomme Fons, dat zijn gave foto's!
cool
De PP tour, mijn eerst GN elpee ... ik ben jaloers!
wink
Posted By: fons Re: Gary Numan - 12/19/09 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lody Herst:
Verdomme Fons, dat zijn gave foto's!
cool
De PP tour, mijn eerst GN elpee ... ik ben jaloers!
wink
Ze zijn aardig gelukt...of een hoop geluk gehad, kan ook wink
500 foto's en 100 a 125 leuke, goed resultaat denk ik dan.
Hopen dat 'tie snel naar Nederland komt! (2010? smile )

Groeten uit Rotjeknor,
fons

p.s. volgende week op tour in de Lichtstad! wink
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 01/22/10 07:52 AM
Numan to play Coachella Festival.

http://pitchfork.com/news/37620-coachella-lineup-announced/
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 01/22/10 09:44 AM
According to his website, he's also hoping to get a few west coast dates around the same time.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 04/19/10 03:45 PM
I do feel sorry for Numan, having had to cancel the US mini tour - I know how important the American gigs are to him. Must've cost him a fortune too.

Maybe in the meantime he'll actually do something and get some flippin' work done on these new albums!

When "Dead Son Rising" was announced back in 2008 (I think - or was it even 2007?!), it sounded like it would be with us soon. I even talked with Steve Malins about it after a John Foxx gig. it really did sound like Gary had found a selection of unreleased songs and unfinished songs that would form a new album fairly quickly - yet all we've heard is "The Fall".

Last year several potential release dates were mentioned, photo shoot done, then nothing happened, not even a news update. And recent press releases mention "Splinter" as the new album. I can only assume or hope that the recently played (and only rough) "Zulu" and "Dragging Loop" are from "Splinter". Both of which sounded dreadful.

Last year Gary talked about the intention of releasing 2 albums back-to-back -which I thought was a fantastic idea. Again months go by, no news, no update.

Has he dried up creatively? Has he given up?! He doesn't even talk about his own music with any enthusiasm any more.

I am really passionate about Gary's music, old and new, and find times like this frustrating, when we really need to have some new, fresh dynamic material...
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 04/20/10 09:30 AM
Quote:
I do feel sorry for Numan, having had to cancel the US mini tour - I know how important the American gigs are to him. Must've cost him a fortune too.

Maybe in the meantime he'll actually do something and get some flippin' work done on these new albums!

When "Dead Son Rising" was announced back in 2008 (I think - or was it even 2007?!), it sounded like it would be with us soon. I even talked with Steve Malins about it after a John Foxx gig. it really did sound like Gary had found a selection of unreleased songs and unfinished songs that would form a new album fairly quickly - yet all we've heard is "The Fall".

Last year several potential release dates were mentioned, photo shoot done, then nothing happened, not even a news update. And recent press releases mention "Splinter" as the new album. I can only assume or hope that the recently played (and only rough) "Zulu" and "Dragging Loop" are from "Splinter". Both of which sounded dreadful.

Last year Gary talked about the intention of releasing 2 albums back-to-back -which I thought was a fantastic idea. Again months go by, no news, no update.

Has he dried up creatively? Has he given up?! He doesn't even talk about his own music with any enthusiasm any more.

I am really passionate about Gary's music, old and new, and find times like this frustrating, when we really need to have some new, fresh dynamic material...
Completely agree with you Alex on this one, Numan constantly promises to release material and then nothing happens. He is also getting some serious stick about the new Micromusic DVD of his farewell concert in the early 80's that has just been released, on his site a while ago he stated that it was being remastered from original tapes with new camera angles and a new interview with the release being a 2 DVD set, what has he released .... 1 DVD with no extra viewing angles and the only extra being an interview from 2005!! Furthermore the DVD is not from the remastered tapes that had been found but simply a conversion from an original laser disc! From what I have read on forums there is little improvement in picture quality from the VHS tape that was originally released.

Now i'm a massive Numan fan but the way he treats his fans is very poor and my patience has run out with him. I bought the Replicas Live DVD and returned it as the quality was diabolical, chronic pixalation throughout the whole DVD.

He seems to have a problem with the word "Quality"!
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 04/20/10 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Hunter:
Quote:
[b] I do feel sorry for Numan, having had to cancel the US mini tour - I know how important the American gigs are to him. Must've cost him a fortune too.

Completely agree with you Alex on this one, Numan constantly promises to release material and then nothing happens. He is also getting some serious stick about the new Micromusic DVD of his farewell concert in the early 80's that has just been released, on his site a while ago he stated that it was being remastered from original tapes with new camera angles and a new interview with the release being a 2 DVD set, what has he released .... 1 DVD with no extra viewing angles and the only extra being an interview from 2005!! Furthermore the DVD is not from the remastered tapes that had been found but simply a conversion from an original laser disc! From what I have read on forums there is little improvement in picture quality from the VHS tape that was originally released.

Now i'm a massive Numan fan but the way he treats his fans is very poor and my patience has run out with him. I bought the Replicas Live DVD and returned it as the quality was diabolical, chronic pixalation throughout the whole DVD.

He seems to have a problem with the word "Quality"! [/b]
Hi Gary - I've yet to see MicroMusic but do plan on getting it - have you actually seen the DVD? I only ask because the NuWorld site says;

"MICROMUSIC DVD QUALITY
(News date: Mar 22)

We've noticed a few comments where people seem to think that the new MicroMusic DVD has been obtained by making a copy from an original laser disc, or even a VHS cassette. We just wanted to correct that and make it clear to everyone that the Micromusic DVD comes from fully remastered video footage from a true analogue video master tape from the 1980's period which was eventually found after literally years of searching. This master tape was of the highest possible quality, given the state of video technology that existed in the early 80's of course. In addition, the soundtrack has been remastered and offers a greatly improved audio experience compared to the original release and the DVD also features an hour long exclusive interview with Gary Numan talking frankly about the Wembley period."

I do remember the talk of new camera angles and it's noticably absent from the above text (budget? footage quality?) but it does say that it's not from a Laser Disc / VHS Cassette.

Have you actually seen it? What do you think?

Gazza
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 04/20/10 10:41 AM
I haven't seen the new version, but I don't know what fans were expecting - the show is over 30 years old, so there's only so much cleaning up you can do - anything shot on film is still going to look relatively old.

I would suspect that of other camera angle footage was available, it probably wasn't any good, or not available after all, as Numan states, he'd been looking for a good enough source for years, as he clearly never had the archive tapes.

Numan usually always gives fans excellent value for money. I wonder if this is another Dash Productions release - I've noticed that the quality of their work isn't always particularly good... on the "Cold Warning" DVD, it's obvious that it hasn't been cleaned up at all, as a huge, white tape line scrolls down the screen during one track!
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 04/20/10 03:46 PM
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 04/20/10 07:04 PM
Sometimes life gets in the way of plans.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 04/20/10 07:42 PM
Don't you think also this is expecting too much?

Back in the day we used to just get excited when a new album came out and couldn't wait to get it home to hear what was on it and what it sounded like, conjuring up tunes in our head best on the mysterious song titles on the sleeve.

These days, with t'internet and all, we only need ot get a whiff of what an artist is up to and we want to know it all and have it all.

Can't we just get what we given, when it comes out?

When did it become up to us what material sounded like or when it became available...?
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 04/21/10 07:01 AM
... but then again should we expect to like poor quality releases from artists. I think it is more than fair to hear both sides, both positive and negative.

In Numan's case he was the one who promised a 2 DVD release regards the micromusic DVD it was n't a case of fans expecting a 2 DVD release, therefore fans have the right to complain about the quality of the release if it is n't what was advertised.

In the case of John I think it is fair to see in the main he releases quality material, can the same be said of Numan, also John sticks to release dates, maybe the odd release may slip back a week or two. I case in point is Numan's "Dead Son Rising" album, he said that was going to be released last April, previous releases have never met they release dates not by weeks but years!
Posted By: solenoid Re: Gary Numan - 04/22/10 08:27 AM
I didn't know this was coming out (MicroMusic) so thanks for the tip off. I've ordered and must now wait a week or so before it graces these far off shores (and airmail backlog is significant right now).

Whatever comes through, it can only be a pale reminder of the actual live shows themselves, but for me and my advancing years, I need a little reminder to rekindle that magic. ANYTHING will do to be honest, and I deeply regret not buying the VHS tape when it was released (shortly after the concerts, but you had to send a VHS tape off to be dubbed) - not having a video player in those days meant it would have been a very useless paperweight or something!

The recordings were made SO long ago that I doubt it will be high quality - I'll aim for OK and take it from there. Any worse and I'll probably shrug my shoulders a bit and learn from the experience. smile
Posted By: -27315 Re: Gary Numan - 04/24/10 10:18 AM
I for one am just grateful for what he does release, irrespective of release date (and quality)Personally I am "old school"Numan and have a predilection for his former material.
I harbour fantastic memories of rushing home with Replicas and I was not dissapointed.
Perhaps people expect too much from "technology".

I understand peoples thirst for new and avand garde material but Numan achieved this back in 1979

Be it fresh and dynamic or run of the mill,for me Numan still leaves many artists in his inimitable wake. I appreciate all the diversity of comments on this wonderful forum,that's what makes life so interesting and exciting.

To cut a long story short I will be spinning a multitude of Numan tonight.

If I am promised the moon by him but in its stead have in my possession a pocketful of dust then so be it.His genius is made available to buy or to pass it by.

I for one am extremely happy with his contribution to the wonderful world of music.It eases my passage through life be it good times or the converse.

Happy listening all.

Whatever the era or quality.

Ad infinitum
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 04/24/10 12:17 PM
I agree. What a superb post!
Posted By: solenoid Re: Gary Numan - 04/28/10 06:41 AM
Wow! That was a quick delivery! Arrived today. Now I need a quiet few hours in the house to watch it (and a good bottle of wine maybe?). Will report my findings later. Sleeve notes by Steve Malins were interesting, I wonder if he was there as well, because he captured the feeling very well I thought. Also, a stage set "as big as a city"? Repurposing? Speaking of which, I don't suppose that "Never Let Me Go" is going to be on the soundtrack of the film of the same name (original book by Kazuo Ishiguro - one of the "collaborators" hinted at in the interview on eyetunes. Film out later this year, Keira Knightley stars.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 04/28/10 11:41 AM
There is a new interview with Gary HERE , which gives a bit of an indication as to where he's at with the new material...
Posted By: solenoid Re: Gary Numan - 04/28/10 01:58 PM
OK, just watched the '81 concert DVD and here is my view:

Technical quality is OK in my very humble opinion. It looks and sounds like an '80s vieo recording, so I am in no way surprised. I am though, taken back in time to actually being there - this DVD transported me back to so many memories that are still very strong in my frontal lobe. If you were at this concert, you should buy this DVD and enjoy reminiscing. If you weren't there, consider if you want to witness one of the most incredible moments of UK pop history, then buy accordingly!

What makes this a "must-have" for me though, is the very frank and open (and very human) interview on this DVD where Gary is very open and honest about his journey through pop history and this concert history. It is very open, eye opening, and worth the cover price alone.

My kids didn't enjoy this one little bit, but I am SO happy to have relived this very important part of my gig hisory. Still the best gig I've seen by far, and not even close to being eclipsed!!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 04/28/10 02:37 PM
Hmm, I'd like to see the new interview.

Speaking of which, there's another recent press interview here...
Posted By: solenoid Re: Gary Numan - 04/30/10 07:06 AM
oh.. forgot to mention the bad bits of the video.

I have two minor gripes:

1) The director felt a need to do "freeze frame" close ups of Gary at the end of each song. They really weren't needed, and were way too long anyway.

2) I know it is a Gary Numan video, but there was close to no footage of the band playing. They did a fantastic job and should get *some* of the limelight.

Other than that, pretty much as expected! smile
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 04/30/10 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:

2) I know it is a Gary Numan video, but there was close to no footage of the band playing. They did a fantastic job and should get *some* of the limelight.
I noticed that on The Touring Principle too .. he is in every single shot and evry frame is focused on him .. even during, say, a Billy Currie solo you just get (close-up) shots of Gazza pouting and strutting up and down which is all good and well, but by modern standards is unacceptable. There is never a shot of just the band by itself or any of any single member. I wondered if that was a conscious "artistic" decision by GN/director or whether it was just a technical limit in those days. I suspect the former.
:rolleyes:
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 04/30/10 08:28 AM
I think it's a concert film trend from the time - I've seen similar in other shows, such as Bowie's Serious Moonlight for example; freeze frames, effects, and few shots of the band.

It's just a sign 'o the times.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/10 05:28 PM
Behind the scenes at Telekon - FutureMusic mini film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w151nzUhDK4&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/10 06:47 PM
Thats 2 cracking bits of news you have posted - thanks Martin
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 06/04/10 07:24 PM
.....talking of Gary Numan I have just made available online my version of Gary's track "Please Push No More", this is a completely new version I have recorded.

Gary Hunter - Please Push No More (Gary Numan Cover)
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 06/28/10 05:33 PM
Gary is planning to take the Pleasure Principle tour to the states this autumn and the set will
"include tracks from the forthcoming album Splinter".

So it at least sounds like he is still moving forward with the new material. Here's hoping ...
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 08/06/10 09:53 AM
Just in case somebody out there would actually lisen to it - Cherry Red are working on 'Automatic' by Sharpe + Numan for an October 2010 release.
Posted By: Black Shadow Re: Gary Numan - 08/07/10 10:36 AM
This would be the first time ever that Automatic would be available on CD format, right?
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 08/07/10 12:45 PM
No, it was available on CD when it first came out.

Surely once was enough?!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 08/09/10 08:17 PM
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 08/09/10 08:18 PM
For the technical music makers out there, its worth noting that Computer Music #155 (the one with Foxx in) features Hardware vs Software including a 'step by step' guide to the making of The Fall narrated by Numan with screenshots of all the software settings etc - Guitar Rig, Melodyne, Pedalboard etc

all greek to me, but what do I know :rolleyes:
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/09/10 09:21 AM
Blimey!

At long last (whether this is good news or not is yet to be determined) the Sharpe & Numan 1989 album "Automatic" is being reissued!!

I bet Gary's over the moon about this!
link
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 09/10/10 06:33 PM
Here's the Gary Numan take on the forthcoming gig(s): -

Quote:
Just to clarify what's going on at the Back To The Phuture shows in Manchester and London this December. The Gary Numan set will be a full show of about an hour and a half to an an hour and forty five minutes, Recoil and John Foxx will be playing live sets for about an hour each, plus there will be a live set from Motor, who will be supporting me on some of the US Pleasure Principle shows. The nights will also include excellent DJ sets from Cabaret Voltaire's Richard H Kirk and Mark Jones. This is a slight departure for me and I'm very excited to be part of these Back To The Phuture shows. Really looking forward to playing in Manchester and London again, especially with such a great line up of bands.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 09/10/10 07:20 PM
Numan was featured and interviewed this evening on The One Show (BBC1, 7pm) in an extended piece on Are 'Friends' Electric?
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 09/11/10 07:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHzhHbkZBdY
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/11/10 02:47 PM
The "Gary Numan continues to lose the plot" saga continues here.

Good interview, mainly about the upcoming American dates, but the interesting stuff comes towards the end, where he mentions moving to LA, and admits he's messed the new albums up by trying to make 2 at once. Neither of which are finished.

Gee, it's great being a Gary Numan fan.
Posted By: solenoid Re: Gary Numan - 09/11/10 03:25 PM
Nice interview, thanks Alex!
Posted By: Lody Herst Re: Gary Numan - 09/11/10 10:34 PM
Gary moving to LA?
eek
Hope he doesn't keep doin' that NIN-USA industrial thing.
'Pure' was okay, 'Hybrid' sometimes brilliant, but after that he became more and more a Trent clone.
I want him to move on and adept other styles!
(like he always did)
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/12/10 02:04 PM
Gary needs a good shake-up and to realise that analogue sounds don't necessarily mean retro!

He admits to just how much he enjoyed playing The Pleasure Principle live last year - one of his best albums.

When you think "Gary Numan", you think of that timeless sound that propelled him to superstardom in the late 70s. People still want that.

I'm sure Gary could embrace those sounds and apply them to the darker, heavier direction he wants to go in, and produce something that really sounds like Numan in 2010 should sound.

Exile remains one of my favourite albums, but after that, he went further down the industrial route, which to me seems to be a limited audience, and isn't particularly popular any more. I do like Pure and Jagged, but I feel he could do so much more.
Posted By: Lody Herst Re: Gary Numan - 09/12/10 03:58 PM
Ahh, Exile!
It's one of my fav albums too.
Let's hope he sets course to another direction.

Heard he spoke to Trent (...) lately, they talked about doin' an album together, but that it should sound completely different.

I know that Gary loves Arabic tunes, so that combined with electronix and some guitar could sound: cool
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/13/10 08:24 AM
Gary keeps banging on about this "wall of sound" thing, which he already subjected us with on Jagged.

The new tracks he's been playing recently do sound quite good though, albeit in a formative state. And it sounds like he might have finally stopped ranting at God in his songs... hopefully.

Interesting point about the Arabic influence - you can certainly hear that in tracks like "Cold Warning", "Pressure" and the start of "Dead Heaven".
Posted By: Lody Herst Re: Gary Numan - 09/13/10 08:26 PM
Cold Warning was the most haunting song from the Berserker album for me.
But also on the Jagged album I think I can trace some Arabic influences.
In these post 9/11 times, that's prob. a positive influence ...
wink
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 09/21/10 05:25 PM
It seems another live Numan album is on the way:

Quote:
Just uploaded three tracks on to the My Space page which were recorded live on The Pleasure Principle Tour last year in the UK - Asylum, Cars (two tracks taken from The Pleasure Principle) and Halo (from Gary Numan's most recent album, Jagged).

The London show on the tour was recorded for a full CD & DVD release this autumn/fall.
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Gary Numan - 09/21/10 11:17 PM
Rather a random thought but listening to "Engineers" yesterday I thought how much it sounded like Syd Barrett might have sounded had he made it musically into post-punk. The voice is uncanny.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 09/22/10 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Rather a random thought but listening to "Engineers" yesterday I thought how much it sounded like Syd Barrett might have sounded had he made it musically into post-punk. The voice is uncanny.
Snap! I happened to listen some Barret-Pink Floyd stuff last year and I remeber thinking he sounds a bit like Gary Numan..or vice versa..I just thought it was something in the accent but maybe Gazza was influenced?
:rolleyes:
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/22/10 09:00 AM
Numan has uploaded some live tracks (Asylum, Cars and Halo) recorded on last year's TPP tour to his myspace page. Apparently from a forthcoming live CD+DVD.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/29/10 10:31 AM
Gary Numan continues to lose the plot and veer ever-increasingly towards the edge of musical oblivion, as he recently announced in an interview with Dave Clarke that the Dead Son Rising album of leftover tracks from previous albums, has been scrapped.

Apparently he was only happy with 4 of the 14 songs - which, by the sound of it will now go into the new album, Splinter, due in the Spring.

I can understand him not wanting to put out songs he's not hapy with... but he's only been working on that album for 2 years!! it's a bit late in the day to can it surely?! And after all, is it not for the fans to decide if something is good or not??! confused

Surely it would be worth a NuWorld exclusive download-only release or something, just to fill the gaps and keep the fans happy.

Steve Malins must be pulling his hair out by now. I think by the time any new Numan material comes out, the whole industrial/goth thing will have been dead in the water for a while - he really should be embracing those electronic sounds that he'll always be associated with.
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 09/29/10 11:09 AM
Quote:
Gary Numan continues to lose the plot and veer ever-increasingly towards the edge of musical oblivion, as he recently announced in an interview with Dave Clarke that the Dead Son Rising album of leftover tracks from previous albums, has been scrapped.

Apparently he was only happy with 4 of the 14 songs - which, by the sound of it will now go into the new album, Splinter, due in the Spring.

I can understand him not wanting to put out songs he's not hapy with... but he's only been working on that album for 2 years!! it's a bit late in the day to can it surely?! And after all, is it not for the fans to decide if something is good or not??! confused

Surely it would be worth a NuWorld exclusive download-only release or something, just to fill the gaps and keep the fans happy.

Steve Malins must be pulling his hair out by now. I think by the time any new Numan material comes out, the whole industrial/goth thing will have been dead in the water for a while - he really should be embracing those electronic sounds that he'll always be associated with.
It is getting like a soap opera with Numan, clearly he has no creativity left in him and leaves himself wide open for getting stick time after time.

In a recent interview he said "Dead Son Rising" would be out in 2011. The guy has completely lost the plot like you say.

No wonder he is going to live in America!

At this rate any album he does put out in the future will flop big style.

My patience with him has now gone and I have been a fan for 30 years.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 09/29/10 12:40 PM
Quote:

Thank god for that! Scrapping Dead Son Rising is the right thing to do. Now he can concentrate on Splinter.

I don't think he's lost the plot. More like he's coming to his senses at last.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/29/10 12:41 PM
It's been like this since he started working with Ade Fenton.

Whilst I do like much of Jagged a lot, Jagged Edge was a far, far superior album. It really is a great shame the version with Andy Gray didn't work out, as that could have really taken him places.

As an artist that I believe, still has a lot of musical potential, he's wasted every opportunity in recent years to build his career up.

It's frustrating and disappointing.

Any creative person, artistic or musical will know what it is like when you have done something you want to shout about and share. I remember when Numan used to put snippets online to listen to.

This time he has hardly given us anything, barely a hint of the work in progress. It just feels like his heart isn't in it any more.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 09/29/10 03:59 PM
Quote:

Any creative person, artistic or musical will know what it is like when you have done something you want to shout about and share. I remember when Numan used to put snippets online to listen to.

This time he has hardly given us anything, barely a hint of the work in progress. It just feels like his heart isn't in it any more.
Couldn't it be that he's just not happy with it?

I'd have thought most artists want someting to be absolutely as right and in line with their expectations as it can be before they share it with their audience.

If Numan's scrapped an album's worth of material, maybe its because it wasn't going where he wanted it to??
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/29/10 06:03 PM
Very true. I wouldn't want to put out something I wasn't happy with, so it's perfectly valid.

...just very frustrating, when you've been waiting ages!!!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 09/29/10 06:39 PM
fairy nuff!!

Look on the bright side - there's a whole album's worth of "extra tracks and bonus material" for the future cool
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 09/30/10 11:14 PM
Ed Fielding is the official photographer for Numan at the Troxy.

Prepare to be impressed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edfielding/sets/72157622856608340/show/
Posted By: Brian Re: Gary Numan - 10/01/10 04:47 AM
Quote:
Ed Fielding is the official photographer for Numan at the Troxy.

Prepare to be impressed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edfielding/sets/72157622856608340/show/
Fantastic pics,became aware of him recently because of his Work with Tenek
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 10/01/10 05:50 AM
Quote:
Ed Fielding is the official photographer for Numan at the Troxy... Prepare to be impressed
I was, Very!!!

Thanks for the link. What incredible photographs, they really make you feel onstage with the band.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 10/07/10 08:33 AM
The Pleasure Principle live album is now available for preorder at Townsend.
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 10/07/10 09:15 AM
Good stuff smile but sadly yet another album to go on the never-ending wishlist laugh
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 10/07/10 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Good stuff smile but sadly yet another album to go on the never-ending wishlist laugh
yes indeed. Thanks Alex for the heads-up, but these are hard times ...
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 10/07/10 01:49 PM
Or more likely another album to play once then forget you own for a few years!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 10/07/10 02:53 PM
Quote:
hard times ...
Who's playing bass in this clip...?

(apologies if that's a naive question, I haven't followed THL much at all)
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 10/08/10 07:02 AM
If you mean the goth looking one in the Lou Reed T shirt his name is Nic Burke.
The clip is an extra from the Live at the Dome DVD
smile
(but we digress..)
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 10/08/10 08:28 AM
Gary has also announced the release of the TPP tour DVD.
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 10/19/10 08:46 PM
Its showing in stock at HMV, £7.99 guess that means my original CD loses any collectors value - damn good album though.
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 10/20/10 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by John Taylor:
Its showing in stock at HMV, £7.99 guess that means my original CD loses any collectors value - damn good album though.
Which album is that John?
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 10/20/10 11:36 AM
Automatic, reissued CD with bonus tracks
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 10/20/10 11:45 AM
Urgh. One of Gary's worst nightmares back in the shops! Voices and Change Your Mind were great, but the rest sounded pretty dreadful to me.

Although probably not as bad as Gary is sounding right now...

ATLANTA LATEST

We have looked at all the various options for trying to reschedule the Atlanta show but none of them work out and so, sadly, we will not be able to play Atlanta on this tour. We are all extremely disappointed, especially as I know a lot of people travelled very long distances to see the show. We will make an announcement regarding refunds as soon as possible.

As of this morning my voice is still not working at all and so my worries now begin to swing slowly towards Washington DC and our forthcoming show there. I have a collection of medicines given to me by the doctors in Atlanta so we are now just waiting to see how quickly they work. I was told not to use my voice for another 72 hours minimum, but that clearly isn't possible with the tour schedule, so I have to get it working as soon as I can and then be careful with it for a while.

Again, really sorry about all this.

Bye for now,

Gary N.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 10/20/10 12:19 PM
Saw that email too, Alex. Nice of Gary to pen the email himself. He sounds very disappointed.

'Automatic' is a no-no for me as well.
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 10/20/10 03:23 PM
Quote:
Thanks for that.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 10/20/10 06:38 PM
Gary is guest editor for 'Magnet Magazine' this week.

Link is here http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2010/10/18/qa-with-gary-numan/#more-83766

Go Wilberforce!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 10/21/10 01:09 PM
And what a superb read his posts are too!

Although I never thought I would read about Gary Numan comparing his ballbag to his dog's!!!

The post about airplane food is hillarious.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 10/21/10 03:08 PM
direct link to Guest editor page.

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/category/guest-editor/
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 10/24/10 05:23 PM
Anybody bought the new Pleasure Principle DVD?

Just wondering what the quality is like as his most recent DVD releases have been very poor quality visually.
Posted By: fons Re: Gary Numan - 10/24/10 06:01 PM
I received my copy last friday.
Looks quite good, picture quality improved over the Replica's dvd...no artifacts and compression issues as far as i could see (I thought the Telekon dvd was also good).
Soundwise I have no complaints as well.
Guess they improved the songs here and there as well since nobody seems to record and burn directly to dvd.
They also added some 'bonus' footage which has Gary talking about the recording and the visuals they used on the tour.
Also included is a small interview with Chris Payne, nice one.
It's not a bad buy in my opinion...7 out of 10 smile

cheerios,
fons
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 10/25/10 06:20 PM
Quote:
I received my copy last friday.
Looks quite good, picture quality improved over the Replica's dvd...no artifacts and compression issues as far as i could see (I thought the Telekon dvd was also good).
Soundwise I have no complaints as well.
Guess they improved the songs here and there as well since nobody seems to record and burn directly to dvd.
They also added some 'bonus' footage which has Gary talking about the recording and the visuals they used on the tour.
Also included is a small interview with Chris Payne, nice one.
It's not a bad buy in my opinion...7 out of 10 smile

cheerios,
fons
That was my worry, I got the Replicas Live DVD and the quality was shocking so good to hear that PP is much better. Agree with you on the Telekon DVD absolutely superb.

Thanks for the feedback fons.
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 11/06/10 02:38 PM
After spending most of yesterday listening to Garys music I've decided to go for it & replace my old vinyl & some of his post Berserker albums. The problem I'm having is what are official albums? I've looked at his "discography" on the internet & what's available online to buy & some of the albums aren't listed in the lists I have on the net or books eg Dark Wonders & Rumour to name but 2. Where is the best place to look for a list of his official releases?
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 11/06/10 05:13 PM
Quote:
After spending most of yesterday listening to Garys music I've decided to go for it & replace my old vinyl & some of his post Berserker albums. The problem I'm having is what are official albums? I've looked at his "discography" on the internet & what's available online to buy & some of the albums aren't listed in the lists I have on the net or books eg Dark Wonders & Rumour to name but 2. Where is the best place to look for a list of his official releases?
here you are, Scott.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Numan_discography#Studio_albums
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 11/07/10 08:15 PM
Here's another one I found. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170562874410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is this an official release?
Posted By: Your Shadow Re: Gary Numan - 11/07/10 08:48 PM
This is not an official release that I'm aware of.
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Gary Numan - 11/07/10 10:15 PM
Quote:
Here's another one I found. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170562874410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is this an official release?
Quote:
Originally posted by Your Shadow:
This is not an official release that I'm aware of.
I'm afraid that it is an official release, and it's catalogue number is BEGA 153 CD.

There were three others double-disc sets in this series: Tubeway Army / Dance (BEGA 151 CD), Replicas / The Plan (BEGA 152 CD) and Telekon / I, Assassin (BEGA 154 CD). I believe that they were all released in 1998.

They're a 'step up' from the 'two albums on one CD' editions that attempted to marry up the same albums back in 1987.

Rob
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/08/10 07:29 AM
I've got almost all of those - when I first discovered Numan in 1995, the Beggar's Banquet double-album releases were all you could get. They were issued following "The Best of Gary Numan" double CD in 1993.

Berserker, The Fury, Strange Charm, Machine & Soul and Sacrifice were all reissued as part of the Numa Years box set in 1998, followed by repackaged versions of the albums. The following year, Machine & Soul, Skin Mechanic Live and Outland were all reissued.

A few years after that, his pre-Berserker albums were finally released as single CD issues, replacing the '93 Beggars double albums.

Ignore the compilations - during harder times, Numan allowed everyone and their dog access to the stuff on the Numa label, so lots of unofficial compilations with awful artwork hit the shops.
Posted By: Lody Herst Re: Gary Numan - 11/08/10 10:20 AM
Agree with you Alex.

There are only two comps that are worth purchasing i.m.o.
They are: Exposure and Mutate

What makes it difficult is his enormous variety in style and quality of his work.
But the 'final' remasters and luxury editions ('Replicas' and 'The Pleasure Principle') are the ones to have!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/08/10 11:00 AM
At least Exposure was an official release and was worth getting for the 12" version of Music for Chameleons and the new version of Everyday I Die.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 11/08/10 11:28 AM
I see tthere's even a wikipage for Numan compilations ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Gary_Numan_compilation_albums

anyway it's not complete cos it hasn't got the one I've got which is rubbish anyway, but I can't remember the name of it.

Here's a nice illustrated Discography
http://www.garynumandiscography.info/
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 11/08/10 07:30 PM
Thanks for the help. Now where is my wallet.
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 11/08/10 08:15 PM
Quote:
Was on HMV now I can't find it!
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 11/08/10 08:44 PM
Amazon & play have it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Automatic-Bill-Sharpe/dp/B0040U8XPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289248878&sr=1-1

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/16337037/Automatic/Product.html
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/09/10 10:06 AM
That's one Numan CD I won't be buying.. it's barely Numan, beyond "Change Your Mind". A real career low-point.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 11/09/10 01:57 PM
Quote:
That's one Numan CD I won't be buying.. it's barely Numan, beyond "Change Your Mind". A real career low-point.
and another would be 'Machine & Soul'. A right Kipper! wink
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/09/10 04:35 PM
LOL!!!

M&S was the worst - no doubt about that. All the fault of Mr Kipper and his impossibly tight lycra shorts.

If anything good came out of Gary working with a bloke who named himself after a smelly fish, then it was getting rid of him and producing Sacrifice!

Actually he plays on Sacrifice. A bit. But still.

He then went on to ruin Sting's solo career!!
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 11/09/10 08:04 PM
Just wanted to compare the track listing against my original CD, in case it has extra tracks - call it completeness OCD.
Posted By: fons Re: Gary Numan - 11/09/10 10:12 PM
Quote:
Come on, it ain't that bad is it? I think the singles were quite ok.
Machine & Soul is definitely at the bottom laugh
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 12/31/10 07:04 PM
We were listening to Clyde 2 radio station at work in Glasgow today & they played Are Friends Electric. I think it's the first time apart from the odd play of Cars that I've heard a Numan song on the radio for over 20 years. It brightened up my day no end.
Posted By: OurFriendAnalogue Re: Gary Numan - 01/03/11 10:32 AM
Gary's gone out of his way on the NuWORLD site to apologise about the slow progress of album releases over the past year or so.

This is frustrating. Not the slow progress - the apology. I know this has been mentioned before but it's worrying that he's feeling a pressure from the fan base. Fans are for support. Gary makes the music (as and when he feels like it), not us.

Somebody please point this out to him. wink
Posted By: Ion-ah Re: Gary Numan - 01/08/11 12:08 AM
Quote:
He then went on to ruin Sting's solo career!!
Only just read this post, but I think you'll think you'll find that Sting ruined Sting's solo career!!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 01/08/11 11:17 AM
Pleasure Principle Live is an amazing album, Halo is a powerful track. Ordered the DVD from Townsend Records too!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 01/22/11 06:47 PM
New interview with Numan, by LA DJ The Cut Chemist

http://www.shockhound.com/videos/1249-interview--gary-numan-and-cut-chemist

Nothing Has Changed And Nothing
Is New These Days
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 01/23/11 11:36 PM
Gary has also announced an Australian tour in May.
Posted By: jhoward Re: Gary Numan - 01/24/11 12:56 PM
Quote:
Gary has also announced an Australian tour in May.
Thanks for letting me know! I'll definitely be there, he was here in 2009, and whilst his performance was solid, his setlist was a little too modern for my taste, so I look forward to being able to experience The Pleasure Principle live.

It's a shame that John Foxx isn't supporting him, it'd be a great opportunity for him to perform in a country that isn't as familiar with his music. I doubt he'll get another chance, as it won't be economically viable.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 01/25/11 02:18 PM
His support band are Severed Heads or something!

BRISBANE. Thu 12th May. TIVOLI

SYDNEY. Fri 13th May. ENMORE THEATRE (All Ages)

MELBOURNE. Sat 14th May. FORUM

ADELAIDE. Mon 16th May. HQ

PERTH. Tues 17th May. ASTOR THEATRE
Posted By: fons Re: Gary Numan - 01/25/11 09:01 PM
Quote:
His support band are Severed Heads or something!
or something? lol...aussie legends! :p
Posted By: The Quiet Trees Re: Gary Numan - 01/27/11 09:06 PM
One of the specialist subjects on tomorrow night's Mastermind is 'the music of Gary Numan'. cool

BBC2 8PM.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 01/28/11 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Quiet Trees:
One of the specialist subjects on tomorrow night's Mastermind is 'the music of Gary Numan'. cool

BBC2 8PM.
Well, well - he didn't really do very well unfortunately.

I got nine. How many did you score??
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 01/28/11 09:35 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by The Quiet Trees:
[b] One of the specialist subjects on tomorrow night's Mastermind is 'the music of Gary Numan'. cool

BBC2 8PM.
Well, well - he didn't really do very well unfortunately.

I got nine. How many did you score?? [/b]
I got 7.
Posted By: The Quiet Trees Re: Gary Numan - 01/28/11 09:39 PM
A feeble four! shocked

So two less than an expert. smile

A pity John Humphrys didn't have a little chat with the contestant about his subject before the General Knowledge round. They seem to have dropped that post-Magnusson bit of the format.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 01/29/11 12:38 AM
I got 9.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 01/29/11 10:50 AM
I got 12. Nearly had 13, but Magenta De Vine's name just wouldn't materialise fully. Kept thinking of Janet Street-Porter!! eek

He was rubbish.
Posted By: Black Shadow Re: Gary Numan - 02/01/11 02:22 AM
It's great that Gary is coming back to Australia, I saw him on his last Australian tour a couple of years ago and it was a fab gig. laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 02/08/11 12:30 PM
Here\'s an interesting and - gasp - optimistic new interview from Gary, promoting the upconing Australian dates.
Posted By: fons Re: Gary Numan - 02/08/11 12:51 PM
nothing new, the connection with his fanbase is still there laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Numan:
...I had a lot of troubl€ with th€ older fan$ in particular, who r€all¥ w€r€n't happ¥ about that. It r€all¥ i$ an ongoing probl€m. $o quit€ a f€w ¥€ar$ ago, I $aid, look, if I wa$ to do a tour, wh€re I just pla¥€d an old album, would ¥ou - thi$ $ound$ a bit rud€ - but would ¥ou g€t off my back wh€n I'm doing m¥ normal touring...
Some ongoing problem Gary...sigh laugh
Posted By: Herbert the turbot Re: Gary Numan - 02/22/11 02:55 PM
Can anyone recommend any online Numan forums, where we can shamelessly plug our "Gary Goes To Ibiza" remix of Scanner?

http://soundcloud.com/thats-never-a-real-horse/scanner-gary-goes-to-ibiza

Shameless, I know, but if you don't ask you don't get...........
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 02/23/11 01:18 PM
I was on a GN forum once but can't remember the name and can't seem to find it now..

here's another one which I see is still active . .
http://www.numanme.co.uk/forum/default.asp

PS. Interesting bit of news on nuworld :

Quote:
REINVENTION
(News date: Feb 10)

As part of their 'Electro Weekender' Sky Arts have scheduled the Gary Numan documentary 'Reinvention' for Saturday April 2nd at 21:00 (9pm). Which is about the same time we'll be walking on stage at the Troxy in London.
..wonder what else is on the Electro Weekdender ?
:p
Posted By: Brian Re: Gary Numan - 02/23/11 01:36 PM
Highlights (from Digiguide)

Saturday

Roxy Music:The High Road
Bryan Ferry:Dylanesque
New Order Talks with Dave Fanning
Music & Lyrics Jean-Michel Jarre
Moog Documentary
Gary Numan Talks with Dave Fanning
classic Albums:Duran Duran Rio

Sunday

Pet Shop Boys talk to Dave Fanning
New Order Live at Finsbury Park
Talk Talk Live @ Montreux

Most I've seen before.

Brian
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 02/23/11 02:02 PM
I quite like the sound of the new track Gary has put up on his site, too (When the Sky Bleeds...)

I would really like to see this Reinvention documentary, but alas, I don't have Sky :rolleyes:
Posted By: Brian Re: Gary Numan - 02/23/11 02:33 PM
I will be recording it wink Alex since I'll be down London when it's on.

Brian
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 02/23/11 02:55 PM
Great! I'll come begging shortly after laugh
Posted By: E. G. Ekin Re: Gary Numan - 02/25/11 10:22 AM
Slightly obscure reference, but the great Nile Rodgers (who's writing a daily blog about living with cancer) mentioned guitars, Gary Numan and some other things today. Interesting reading...

Nile Rodgers - Walking on Planet C

All the best,

EG
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 02/25/11 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
Can anyone recommend any online Numan forums, where we can shamelessly plug our "Gary Goes To Ibiza" remix of Scanner?

http://soundcloud.com/thats-never-a-real-horse/scanner-gary-goes-to-ibiza

Shameless, I know, but if you don't ask you don't get...........
www.thetouringprinciple.co.uk best Numan forum.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 03/15/11 12:36 PM
Numan is appearing on Nemone's Radio 6 show THIS AFTERNOON

Tuesday 15th march
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 03/21/11 01:09 PM
This just in from the Numan team:

There's just under two weeks to go until the Manchester Academy and London Troxy 'Back To The Phuture' shows on April 1st and April 2nd respectively, and Gary is currently working on a brand new stage set that is a mixture of cutting edge technology and sheer scale. Constructed out of 32 LED panels and measuring 40ft wide and 24ft high, this stunning wall of light, colour and images is being put together with Digital Insanity, who recently put together the spectacular Tron Legacy premiere at the Tate Modern. According to the company's MD, Richard Bagshaw, "It's a real honour to be working with Gary Numan. He's very well known for his lavish light shows and it's been an interesting collaboration creating a visual backdrop for him. The shows are going to be intense". Gary had this to say, "I'm scared of talking it up too much but, the truth is, it's the biggest stage show I've had for a very long time and we're all excited about it. I can't wait to see what the fans make of it."
Posted By: Brian Re: Gary Numan - 03/27/11 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Highlights (from Digiguide)

Saturday

Roxy Music:The High Road
Bryan Ferry:Dylanesque
New Order Talks with Dave Fanning
Music & Lyrics Jean-Michel Jarre
Moog Documentary
Gary Numan Talks with Dave Fanning
classic Albums:Duran Duran Rio

Sunday

Pet Shop Boys talk to Dave Fanning
New Order Live at Finsbury Park
Talk Talk Live @ Montreux

Most I've seen before.

Brian
Passing Strangers over at EV has just reminded me to set my Sky box next Saturday night for the Numan Re-invention Doc (as well as JMJ Doc on in the afternoon).

Brian
Posted By: fons Re: Gary Numan - 03/27/11 11:54 AM
Quote:
This just in from the Numan team:

There's just under two weeks to go until the Manchester Academy and London Troxy 'Back To The Phuture' shows on April 1st and April 2nd respectively, and Gary is currently working on a brand new stage set that is a mixture of cutting edge technology and sheer scale. Constructed out of 32 LED panels and measuring 40ft wide and 24ft high, this stunning wall of light, colour and images is being put together with Digital Insanity, who recently put together the spectacular Tron Legacy premiere at the Tate Modern. According to the company's MD, Richard Bagshaw, "It's a real honour to be working with Gary Numan. He's very well known for his lavish light shows and it's been an interesting collaboration creating a visual backdrop for him. The shows are going to be intense". Gary had this to say, "I'm scared of talking it up too much but, the truth is, it's the biggest stage show I've had for a very long time and we're all excited about it. I can't wait to see what the fans make of it."
As for me he might as well stand in front of a few white blankets under a 60W lightbulb if the music is good...after all, it's about the music right?
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 03/28/11 11:38 AM
for those who won't be at Troxy on Sat.:

Gary Numan: Reinvention The Electric Warrior

UK only though I expect..
frown
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 03/31/11 05:01 PM
I read this on the bus the other day:

http://www.metro.co.uk/music/859308-gary-numan-adam-ant-is-a-very-interesting-bloke-to-talk-to

Gary mentions his stuffed Wolf, but completely fails to mention that he's gigging with his prized Foxx at the weekend eek
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 04/01/11 06:33 PM
Quote:
for those who won't be at Troxy on Sat.:

Gary Numan: Reinvention The Electric Warrior

UK only though I expect..
frown
Thanks MemberD for the alert!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 04/02/11 12:37 PM
Gary's set last night looked and sounded interesting, from what I've read and seen.

Anybody wanting a spoiler, should look at this.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 04/04/11 10:42 AM
Imagine what this sounded like to those who were there. It would've blown my ilektrik socks off!! eek

FILMS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKzZY_IDDh8&feature=related

Awesome version. laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 04/04/11 10:59 AM
It does look very impressive!!

...but what a slow version of Films!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/29/11 10:06 AM
It's old news now, but just in case anybody missed it... Gary Numan will (finally) release Dead Son Rising on September 5th followed by a UK tour.
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 06/29/11 10:14 AM
Looking forward to it. I May even go see him on the tour.
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 06/29/11 11:50 AM
I've bagged a couple of tickets for the Wolverhampton leg of the tour. Should be good based on previous occasions he has come my way.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 07/22/11 08:45 AM
Great to see that Numan has won the Inspiration Award at this year's Mojo's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20110721_mojo.shtml

I noticed with some satisfaction also the following

Outstanding Contribution - Public Image Ltd

Song Of The Year - Grinderman's Heathen Child

Foxxy's time will surely come...
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 07/22/11 10:13 AM
And here's a nice picture of the award, presented to Gary Numan by Thomas Dolby

http://pictures.metro.co.uk/london/937318/Glenfiddich-Mojo-Honours-List-2011
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 07/27/11 11:15 AM
Here's a vid of Gary receiving his award from Thomas Dolby.

I'm beaming from ear to ear grin

http://www.mojo4music.com/mojo_honours_2011/inspiration_award.shtml
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 07/27/11 11:22 AM
A recent interview before the DV8 Festival.

http://www.soundspheremag.com/interviews/59-features/2296-interview-gary-numan
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/27/11 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik

And much deserved, too.

Nice to see a tweet and comment on Facebook from John congratulating him, too.
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 07/30/11 02:06 PM

Yes, quite a sweet moment for Gary, particularly with his affectionate nod to his wife, and I liked his comment about the last time he received an award prior to this one.
Posted By: Sean Re: Gary Numan - 07/31/11 10:05 AM
I posted some photos from the York show over on my blog:

http://tinyurl.com/3gtw8rz
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/31/11 12:26 PM
Good review and pics. Nice to see now that the 'retro' tours are behind him, Gary is concentrating on contemporary stuff again ahead of the new albums.
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 08/06/11 02:35 PM
Has anyone come across a CD 'Images' A recorded autobiography?
Catalogue number GNFCCD 11
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 08/06/11 05:04 PM
Images was a set of fan club only releases. Never seen or heard any of them.
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 08/06/11 09:48 PM
I picked this up in a bookshop for 75p, will give it a listen. It's like new.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 08/11/11 11:44 AM
Dead Son Rising is now available to pre-order on Townsend, in three formats. Super deluxe at £85, if you're rich and a bit silly, normal deluxe at a more sensible £21 and bog standard CD for a tenner.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 08/11/11 12:13 PM
Wonder what Numan's position is on the whole God / religion / Christianity / faith thing?

A lot of songs / titles touch on this subject, and clearly the new album is another example
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 08/11/11 01:32 PM
He doesn't believe in God - you might have guessed! Yet the subject continues to fascinate him - he's spent far too many albums now banging on about it, starting really with Sacrifice in '94, although that balanced out well between the questioning of God and the more Tolkein and Clive Barker-inspired songs about magic and demons.

He fully explored the existence of Heaven and Hell on my favourte album, 1997's Exile. And losing family members and suffering a miscarriage (well, his wife did), inspired a lot of the writing on 2000's Pure.

On the one hand it's become a tiresome subject, on the other, he was already singing about this right back in 1980. Just look at the opening lines to "This Wreckage": 'But what if God's dead...'

...so I'm really looking forward to hearing how his sound has developed since Jagged and where he is at lyrically - despite the title, I don't think that all of DSR is about not believing in God, since some tracks deal with relationships or have a sci-fi influence.

His autobiography, Praying to the Aliens is a really good read. It covers every era of his career in depth; not glossing over things as some tend to do. he also talks a lot about his position on faith etc in it too.

Back to DSR - this was posted on NuWorld:

We are pleased to announce that Gary Numan returns this autumn with a new album Dead Son Rising. The new album developed out of a set of demos the singer had left from previous projects, but as he explains: ‘The original ideas that sparked off these songs are now barely visible. It’s grown into another animal, something more experimental.”

Produced and co-written by Ade Fenton ( Numan’s collaborator on 2006’s Jagged), the material ranges from the heavily anthemic ‘The Fall’ (written about ‘an old friendship gone bad’) to the Arabic and ghostly ‘We Are The Lost’ and one of the standout moments, the brooding ‘Dead Sun Rising’. The latter both contain elements from a sci-fi fantasy story Numan has been writing over the last few years. Meanwhile, troubled relationships are explored on ‘For The Rest Of My Life’ and Not The Love We Dream Of’, and there’s also room for two instrumentals (‘Resurrection’ and ‘Into Battle’), showcasing some of the ‘soundtrack-type’ material that Numan and Fenton have been working on recently. It all adds up to one of Numan’s most atmospheric albums – one for those who loved his B-side experiments in the past but also containing some very direct, streamlined electronic rock in the likes of ‘Big Noise Transmission’, ‘The Fall’ and ‘When The Sky Bleeds, He Will Come’.

Dead Son Rising is available exclusively through the Official Shop on September 12th in three formats and is available to pre-order now:

SUPER DELUXE EDITION: £84.99
Dead Son Rising CD
DVD with ‘The Fall’ promo video, interviews, exclusive behind-the-scenes footage, gallery and slide show.
48 Page ‘Art book’
Each copy is numbered
Signed Gary Numan Print
Gatefold Vinyl of Album
Exclusive 12 inch single containing remixes of The Fall by Motor and South Central

DELUXE EDITION: £21.99
Dead Son Rising CD
DVD with ‘The Fall’ promo video, interviews, exclusive behind-the-scenes footage, gallery and slide show.
24 Page hardback booklet

STANDARD DIGI-PACK: £9.99
Dead Son Rising CD

...I've ordered the normal deluxe edition.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 08/12/11 10:04 AM
...and there's a short interview here, where you can also listen to the title track of the album, which to my ears, sounds pretty good!

http://thequietus.com/articles/06755-gary-numan-dead-sun-rising
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 08/13/11 11:45 AM
A close friend made a moving video using Numan's "A Child With the Ghost", to try and reach out to his two estranged sons. I'm posting this on his behalf, hoping to boost it's rating and viewing figures, as today it's one of his sons' birthdays.

YouTube link
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 08/13/11 06:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Alex S
...and there's a short interview here, where you can also listen to the title track of the album, which to my ears, sounds pretty good!

Unbelievable yet another Numan track with "God" in the lyrics!!!!

Track does nothing for me whatsoever.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 08/15/11 08:08 PM
Sorry to say it, but I'm with you Gary.

I'd not heard this track before, and it sounded exactly as I expected it would.
That's not to say I didn't like it, but it doesn't really go anywhere or suggest that Numan has anything different to offer... I must be missing something because I know it's billed as different and atmospheric and experimental, but that doesn't come over in this track at least.

Is that a bit harsh? Maybe, but it seems like a bit of a let down after all the 'on-off maybe later' status of this album over the past couple of years.

Similar kind of *shrug* that I felt listening to Credo
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 08/16/11 08:19 AM
From the 3 or 4 previews I've heard, the album does sound diverse. Also not forgetting that this album is made up of previously unfinished tracks, some of which date back to Pure.

The production sounds really good; crisp and clean, not muddy and muffled, like Jagged was. And it sounds like there is more variation in style and tempo, again, unlike Jagged, which plodded endlessly along at 170bpm.

Personally I really like the sound of it, and as most Numan fans would hopefully agree on, it's simply good to finally have some new songs. We've been waiting long enough! I think this album will be a strong transitionary album in the run-up to Splinter, which he's regarding as his next 'proper' album, but in a very different style. Let's see if that'll actually be the case!
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 08/20/11 01:36 PM

From the 3 or 4 previews I've heard, the album does sound diverse. Also not forgetting that this album is made up of previously unfinished tracks, some of which date back to Pure.

I think this album will be a strong transitionary album in the run-up to Splinter, which he's regarding as his next 'proper' album, but in a very different style. Let's see if that'll actually be the case!

There's no disputing the context of the forthcoming album, and I agree with you Alex about its place and reasoning, but that track above just leaves me feeling flat, the hiatus has drained it of power, hopefully Gary's recharged the batteries for Splinter...
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 08/23/11 08:59 AM
He's obviously made it clear that these tracks have been developed from abandoned ideas from past albums, and that he even canned the whole thing at one point. So I guess style-wise we know it'll be a bit more of the same. I would say this album is one more for the hardcore Numanoid.

Jagged's sticking point was that it hardly changed tempo, plodding along at around 170bmp for far too long. ALthough Numan has never been known for 'fast' songs, I do hope there's more variety in this respect!
Posted By: Herbert the turbot Re: Gary Numan - 08/26/11 12:47 PM
He's obviously made it clear that these tracks have been developed from abandoned ideas from past albums, and that he even canned the whole thing at one point. So I guess style-wise we know it'll be a bit more of the same. I would say this album is one more for the hardcore Numanoid.

I would say that every new album of original material is for the hardcore Numanoid! For most casual fans, Numan stopped being interesting circa 1982 when he went all "funk" with that godawful slapbass, wailing sax and female backing vocals style that he seemed to persist with for the next decade. Even his current style of hardcore/industrial/electro/whatever it's called, seems to have been going on for several albums now.

That said, against my better nature, I've been persuaded by my brother to see him in concert on the forthcoming tour. We're going to the Leeds gig on 19 Spetember - anyone else going?
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 09/02/11 02:44 PM
At just gone 9am this morning there on the BBC's Breakfast telly news programme was our Gary sat on a sofa. I never really watch the news, its a guaranteed bad start to the day, but I digress. Gary was promoting Dead Son Rising and being lightly grilled by the intrepid BBC man and woman duo in corporation suit's. Gary meanwhile, equipped only in his likable self-deprecating manner, commented on his 'Friends Electric' debut period, and about how his self-consciousness regarding his big teeth was misinterpreted by the media as a cold-hearted snarl.

The BBC presenters put further pressure on Gary, slowly opening a small black bag and taking out a cloth bundle, the BBC man and woman unwrapped it to reveal some shiny surgical instruments and proceeded to ask Gary if he'd have taken part in the XFactor if it were onscreen back then. Gary replied confidently that he's indifferent to that show, he neither hates nor likes it, and besides, he cant sing, unlike those XFactor winners.

Seizing the opportunity the BBC woman tried but failed with her hand at some lame humour over the forthcoming tour and Garys 'cant sing' admission. Fortunately for humanity and synth-hero lovers everywhere the result was thus:

Gary Numan - 1.

BBC men and women in corporation suits - 0.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/02/11 03:39 PM
LOL - tremendous!
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 09/06/11 03:22 PM
His website says that the new album is out on Sept 12th but I can't find any trace of it on amazon or play. Is it a website only release or in shops at a later date? I was hoping to hear it before deciding whether to go & see him in a fortnight in Glasgow. My friends & even my wife don't like him & was still debating whether to plod along on my own. I'm doing that with John Foxx & The Maths as again my friends & my wife don't like him (they've limited taste)but after releasing the album of the year so far I thought I'd need to go & hear it live even though I'd be on my own.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/07/11 06:34 AM
It is released by Townsend first - then a wider release through other retailers comes in October, so I believe.

It's all been delayed anyway due to unforseen pressing/production problems!
Posted By: Scott Re: Gary Numan - 09/07/11 08:19 AM
Just read about the delay on the website. Thanks for the info regarding Townsend Alex. I knew they were releasing it but thought it was a general release.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/07/11 12:48 PM
I can't be certain but I'm not sure if the two deluxe versions will only be available through Townsend. Keep an eye on Gary's website or Facebook/Twitter pages!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 09/12/11 10:02 PM
New single The Fall out on 10th October

Same date as the John Foxx Evergreen 'release'.

Which is nice laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/12/11 10:18 PM
I wonder if that will be a 'real' single or just digital as seems to be the trend nowadays. No surprise in The Fall being a single, since there's a cool looking video for it.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 09/12/11 11:00 PM
More than almost certainly a digital release I expect.

Perhaps there's a super-fabby extra deluxe version. On vinyl grin
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/13/11 04:00 PM
I wonder when there will be a cassette revival...
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 09/13/11 05:35 PM
I wonder when there will be a cassette revival...

anytime soon Alex, possibly after the next Worldwide Recession, Wall St crash, Black Monday, Freaky Friday, and Sir Simon Cowell elected as UK Prime Minister and head of the Genetically Modified Performers Coalition...
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/19/11 05:52 PM
Here - after a good few plays - is my review of Dead Son Rising:

Dead Son Rising is an interesting release for Gary Numan, delayed by several years, briefly abandoned altogether and finally transformed into a dark and varied album, guaranteed to have something for every Numan fan.

Produced and co-written with Ade Fenton, Dead Son Rising has been fashioned from unfinished songs and demos, some of which date back to 1997's Exile. The result is a curious mix, containing some of Numan's most atmospheric and diverse tracks for years, with the finished songs bearing little resemblance to the original demos.

Numan's emotional outpouring on tracks such as "Not the Love We Dream Of" and "For the Rest of My Life" has to rank alongside his classic electro-ballads such as "Sleep By Windows" and "A Child With the Ghost", while heavier stomping tracks such as "Big Noise Transmission" and single, "The Fall" follow the industrial style present on Pure and Jagged.

While instrumental tracks "Resurrection" and "Into Battle" leave little to be desired (you can't help but feel that more could have been done with them) Dead Son Rising has a dark cinematic quality to it, and boasts some of the best production heard on any Numan album to date, with Gary's vocals coming across crisp and clear. The real standout track for me is the epic "Dead Sun Rising" (note the play on words), where Numan returns to his sci-fi roots, exploring similar themes to those on his early albums.

Overall, Dead Son Rising has indeed risen from the dusty corners of the Numan studio and is at last with us, after many a false start. It has evolved into an album in its own right, with echoes of Pure, Jagged and to some extent, Sacrifice.

By Numan standards, there is a great deal of experimentation on the album, some of which works better than others; We Are the Lost", sounds frankly, lost, and the piano versions of "Not the Love We Dream Of" and "For the Rest of My Life (Reprise)", feel like nothing more but padding. But overall, after the muddy, over-complicated and samey sound of Jagged, Dead Son Rising presents Gary Numan in a new light – or dark – and as his first new material for five years, it will no doubt delight those who first caught sight of him at the NIN concerts in 2009 or have discovered him through his appearance on The Mighty Boosh. Who would have ever thought that?!
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 09/20/11 12:53 PM
Spot on review Alex, the instrumentals did nothing whatsoever for me and the track "We Are The Lost" is shockingly bad, some highlights though with "For The Rest Of My Life" one of Numan's best tracks for some time and I really do like "Not The Love We Dream", 2 versions of these tracks definitely there to fill out the album.

Varied like you say, if I was to score it I would say a 6/10
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/20/11 01:39 PM
I think I'd give it a 7/10 overall. A couple of the tracks on there for me personally would be 10/10 alone; namely the title track and "For the Rest of My Life". It's difficult to rate as a cohesive album because it isn't really one - it sits somewhere in between a new album and an album of unreleased material!

The DVD isn't bad either, just under 80 mins in total. During the interview Gary states that Splinter will be a very different album in comparison, heavily riff based and groove-driven.

And the promo video for "The Fall" is absolutely brilliant - shot in a disused asylum in Lincoln, it's dark and haunting, and overall quite unsettling. The same goes for Ed Fielding's amazing photography which adorns the cover and throughout the booklet - stunning photos; the best Numan's ever had taken. It also comes with the subtle link back to the Pleasure Principle b-side, "Asylum".

Sadly there does appear to have been a dodgy batch with the deluxe editions - my copy was covered in white marks, as if the glue had come through and worn the ink off. However Townsend kindly gave me a freepost address to return it to with the promise of a replacement.
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 09/20/11 08:56 PM
I just went for the standard CD, DVD sounds excellent, I did by the Conversation DVD and that was an outstanding interview and was around 90 mins I think.

Should have mentioned I liked the track "The Fall" also but "For The Rest Of My Life" is stunning!

I wonder what the reason was for calling the album Dead SON Rising yet the track on the album is called Dead SUN Rising??

Can't say i'm too chuffed if Splinter is going to be a veavier album, that wont be my cup of tea at all.
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 09/23/11 08:55 PM
Deluxe version has arrived!Looks good, will have listen later. I do dislike these slipcases,if it's a good album with regular use it's going to mark the cd fairly quickly.

Edit**
After my 1st listen I'd give it 8/10. Being as I've not heard any of the Numan albums between Strange Charm and DSR it's pretty good! The title track reminds me of I Still Remember (I had the RSPCA picture disc!)
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/25/11 06:09 PM
Originally Posted By: John Taylor
Deluxe version has arrived!Looks good, will have listen later. I do dislike these slipcases,if it's a good album with regular use it's going to mark the cd fairly quickly.

Edit**
Being as I've not heard any of the Numan albums between Strange Charm and DSR

- - HORROR! - -

We must remedy this! Track yourself down copies of Sacrifice, Exile and Pure for starters... smile
Posted By: MikeG Re: Gary Numan - 09/30/11 11:32 AM
I've had a few plays of Dead Son Rising now. It really is a varied album (in sharp contrast to Jagged). I like it. I agree that the stand-out track is Dead Sun Rising. I don't normally like intrumentals, but I do rate Ressurection. In fact this album works well for the first 8 tracks; it's just a pity Gary ran out of steam and couldn't find any finishing tracks.

8/10
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 09/30/11 12:58 PM
Yes, it all kind of peters out after The Fall.

In the interview on the CD he does say some tracks were finished but not used, as they've been saved for another project that they're not allowed to discuss!

Soundtrack maybe...?
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 11/01/11 11:42 AM
New video interview with Tom Artrocker (part one) now online

http://www.artrocker.tv/tv/article/tom-artrocker-interviews-gary-numan-part-one
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 11/01/11 12:00 PM
Cool - thanks for posting that!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 11/09/11 06:42 PM

Numan is among the special guests doing a DJ spot at the 2011 Artrocker Awards.

The event takes place on 2nd December at XOYO in Shoreditch, and there are more details here:

http://www.artrocker.tv/news/article/artrocker-awards-2011-all-the-details1

Given Artrocker's recent 'thing' on Numan, I'm surprised Dead Son Rising isn't getting a nomination...?
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 11/10/11 10:47 AM
..and no Foxx???

.. maybe he's up for the "ICONS AWARD"??
cool
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 02/08/12 01:56 PM
Machine Music DVD & Tour

http://www.numan.co.uk/news/

Does that mean that 'Splinter' is put back even further?
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 02/08/12 02:16 PM
Machine Music DVD & Tour

Machine Music note: any resemblance to the cover of Kraftwerk's 'Man Machine' cover is completely coincidental

Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 02/08/12 03:48 PM
Just saw this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/perso...-was-spend.html

the man carries a lot of cash.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 02/09/12 01:01 PM
'Backstage' book - and launch party - in March.

http://www.thetouringprinciple.co.uk/orders.html
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 02/09/12 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: MemberD
Machine Music DVD & Tour

Machine Music note: any resemblance to the cover of Kraftwerk's 'Man Machine' cover is completely coincidental

I realy like the idea of fans contributing film to be screened at the gigs - that's really welcome.

But the Gold VIP thing - what's all that about? Why is the gig ticket itself not included? Very odd.
Posted By: core memory Re: Gary Numan - 02/09/12 05:16 PM
Originally Posted By: MemberD
Just saw this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/perso...-was-spend.html

the man carries a lot of cash.

The Coffee Pot! I'm quite sure I walked past it many a time back in another decade, just imagine, Gary might have been in there with a cuppa and a fried egg sandwich and agonising about paying his taxes. HSBC mentioned so often by Gary, does he get a free light aircraft if he manages to mention HSBC 50 times in an interview, or did he just get some air miles for only mentioning HSBC five times? (and if any HSBC employees are reading can I get a freebie for mentioning you four times, ta).
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 04/01/12 06:45 PM
Originally Posted By: John Taylor

Edit**
Being as I've not heard any of the Numan albums between Strange Charm and DSR

- - HORROR! - -

We must remedy this! Track yourself down copies of Sacrifice, Exile and Pure for starters... smile

Sacrifice is on its way to me - hope its good.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 04/18/12 07:58 AM
A long shot but thought you should know in case there is a branch near you - I popped into Fopp on Earlham Street yesterday and noticed that the recent Vinyl 180 series of Numan and Tubeway Army albums are now priced at: Tubeway Army, Replicas; £10, Telekon (double) £15.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 05/11/12 07:34 AM
Machine Music DVD tracklisting (June 11th)

Cars / Complex / We Are Glass / I Die You Die / This Wreckage / She's Got Claws / Love Needs No Disguise (with Dramatis) / Music For Chameleons / We Take Mystery (To Bed) / Warriors / Berserker / Your Fascination / Call Out The Dogs / Dominion Day / Cars (with Fear Factory) / Rip / Crazier (with Rico) / In A Dark Place / Healing (with Ade Fenton) / The Fall / My Machines (with Battles) / Down In The Park (Micromusic) / Are 'Friends' Electric (Top Of The Pops, 1979) / Cars (Saturday Night Live, 1980) / Praying To The Aliens (Saturday Night Live, 1980) / Metal (TV, 1979) / I Die You Die (Kenny Everett, 1980) / Remind Me To Smile (Live Teletour) / We Take Mystery (To Bed) (Top Of The Pops promo film, 1982) / hite Boys And Heroes (Top Of The Pops promo film, 1982)

TOURDATES

MAY
22 - Leicester O2 Academy / 23 - Glasgow O2 ABC / 24 - Newcastle O2 Academy / 25 - Sheffield O2 Academy / 26 - Ireland Dublin Button Factory / 28 - Bournemouth O2 Academy / 29 - Bristol O2 Academy / 30 - Cambridge Junction / 31 - Birmingham HMV Institute
JUNE
1 - London HMV Forum / 2 - Cardiff Coal Exchange / 3 - Brighton Dome
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 05/11/12 08:57 AM
Very much looking forward to the DVD - I've never really seen any of the promo videos in full, or poor quality ones on YouTube, so a lot of it, at least the early stuff I'll be viewing for the first time.

Seeing the tour in SHeffield and very much looking forward to it.

Whilst on the subject, Townsend are offering a free download of Andy Gray's new remix of "Dead Sun Rising".

It really is high time Mr Gray produced a Numan album...
Posted By: nightporter Re: Gary Numan - 05/16/12 06:53 PM
looking forward to london gig and dvd, will be good to have offically.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 05/22/12 03:17 PM
Interview on This Is Not Retro:

http://www.thisisnotretro.com/interviews/gary-numan-interview-2012
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 05/26/12 12:46 PM
The Sheffield show was absolutely awful. I'd been really looking forward to this for months, and I came out feeling incredibly disappointed. A lot of people seemed to enjoy it though, but I suspect they were enjoying the beer more than the gig (and anything is bound to be amazing after enough pints). Either way to me, the whole thing just somehow felt low key and half-hearted.

The worst problem was the sound - it was abysmal. Sound check anyone??! I was standing half way back in the middle where you ought to get decent sound... and I've seen Gary at the O2 Academy there before and it was brilliant, so I don't know what happened. You could barely hear him until "This Wreckage", when somebody clearly had the idea of turning his volume up. slightly.

"Berserker" - the one song I'd really been anticipating - was a complete let down. Same with "Call Out the Dogs", which sounded like it was mostly coming from CD.

The more recent songs ("In A Dark Place", "The Fall", "Crazier") sounded muffled and muddy and there was no need for Ade Fenton collab "Healing", whatsoever - a lost opportunity for something like We Take Mystery. The newer material was clearly favoured over the older stuff (ie what everyone really wanted). "Rip" is a pointless song to play live because whispered vocals just don't work live, especially when you can't hear him in the first place.

After attempting to play many of the old tracks as they were, "Metal", "Cars" and AFE were all subject to heavy makeovers which ruined them. The songs didn't even flow well, almost as if they were picked at random.

All of you will know what a fan of Gary Numan I am, and I don't criticise anyone without good reason. But I wouldn't recommend this tour. I was wondering if it was just the venue but I read similar things about the Glasgow gig.

I turned to my mate during "Rip" and said I was bored. It's just not right to be BORED at a concert, is it?!

And there's the Machine Music DVD - nicely packaged with a slipcase and booklet; 2 discs, interview etc - but at £28, they're having a laugh. I understand that limitations on the footage rights have limited the DVD to a run of just 3000, but charging close to thirty quid for a DVD is a bit of a joke. Which put collectors like me in a frustrating position. Knowing this was my only chance to buy it and the pressing was limited, I bit the bullet and bought one. So if a cheaper version appears on Townsend after the tour, I shall be furious. It's particularly saddening because Gary has always gone out of his way to give fans good value and fair prices. maybe I'll be able to confirm this when I've watched it.

But overall, what a disappointment. Maybe I've seen Numan too many times in recent years, but after that, I'm done with gigs for a while.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 05/26/12 06:10 PM

Shame you didn't enjoy it Alex, but I wouldn't rule out going to any gigs for a while just after one bad experience??

Feedback I'm seeing on Twitter is generally positive about these shows though.

Honest reviews like this are few and far between.
Pity. Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Brian Re: Gary Numan - 05/26/12 10:14 PM
Sorry to hears it was not good Alex.

I'm going to the Birmingham show next week.I'm hoping for better.

Brian
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 05/27/12 01:17 PM
I guess you can tell I was on a bit of a downer when posting that! I think that was my 9th Numan gig - sometimes you can see an artist too many times and the 'magic' wears off. The last time I saw Gary on the TPP tour it was a similar experience but I put it down to the venue which was absolutely microscopic.

I get the feeling that with his pending move to LA, these might be his last UK shows for some time. So in that sense it's a shame to come out on a low.

...it just didn't have the civilised sophistication of a John Foxx concert!
Posted By: Lord Lost Re: Gary Numan - 05/28/12 04:03 PM
Alex,

I went to the Newcastle gig and have more or less the same opinion as you. The vocals on Berserker were virtually no existent. To be honest I enjoyed the support act more! The sound seemed to be much clearer particularly on the synths.
I was also keen to get the DVD but yes £28.00 seemed way over the top (I was expecting £15-£20.00)
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 05/28/12 08:50 PM
From what I've seen of the DVD so far, it does look worth, if you're a collector. There' novelty in it for me though as I haven't seen many of them before, certainly in full. Plus the bonus interview is 90 mins!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 05/30/12 09:24 AM
.. a photographer's view:
http://traceywelchphotography.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/triple-a-treatment-with-gary-numan/

and Ed Fielding:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/edfielding/sets/72157629863879160/with/7288492676/
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 05/30/12 11:03 AM
Another one of those 'great night' reviews. It's a shame that crap sound still warrants a 'great night' for so many folk.

Gary's hair seems to have taken on a life of its own.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 05/30/12 11:04 AM
...actually, I just realised I know that particular photographer!
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Gary Numan - 06/12/12 03:20 PM
Just received MM DVD today,some of these videos I've never seen some I remember from the 80s. Nice collection.

Is there any chance that the best of DVD will be released on CD audio?
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 06/12/12 11:01 PM
I haven't heard anything as such - it would have been a good idea, since there hasn't been a Numan 'best of' since Exposure in 2002.
Posted By: Brian Re: Gary Numan - 06/13/12 06:09 AM
My copy of the DVD arrived yesterday.

I've not had chance to watch it yet.

When I opened the booklet I thought it looked like a John Foxx design.

Turns out it was done by Paul Agar who's been involved with some recent Foxx covers.

Brian
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 07/19/12 04:22 PM
It's official Numan has lost the plot and is set to fleece his fans big style ....... A new 2CD album and 48 page book for just £55.99 thats right £55.99!!!

Gary Numan Big Noise Transmission Live 2CD and 48 page book

I have been a big fan of Numan's since 1979 but this is an outrageous way to fleece and rip of your fans Gary.

On a brighter note he is also bringing out another live DVD from his show at the Ritz in Manchester in December last year.
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Gary Numan - 07/20/12 06:05 AM
Agree with you 100%, Gary.

I think I've finally had enough of him. Total rip-off.

Another DVD! FFS
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/20/12 09:14 AM
All this must all be funding his move abroad!

I won't be buying either. The book is probably nice, but is way overpriced. I have no interest whatsoever in the live album or DVD (which from the YouTube clip sounds like he's singing over the studio vocals) - I don't find his current live band line-up that strong compared to previous, set lists are predictable and many song arrangements aren't particularly exciting.

In general I'm fed up with live albums - regardless of the artist. I just don't play them. For me they're only usually worth if it's a show or tour that I saw.
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Gary Numan - 07/20/12 09:27 AM
Alex I thought the same thing in respect of the vocals, in fact on the track "Big Noise Transmission" I think he is miming, the vocals are exactly the same as the record and he is miles away from the microphone when he is "singing"!!

Not impressed with this rip off with the CD & Book package, the 2CD costs £10.99 therefore he is wanting people to stump up £45 for a 48 page booklet!

He never learns his lesson Numan and constantly wants to fleece hardcore fans, he is definitely doing himself no favours at all.

The other strange thing is how quickly he has turned around the DVD from the actual concert, he normal takes well in excess of a year doing the post production on his live DVD's this has taken barely 6 months, I hope it is a better quality DVD than his last few.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/20/12 10:48 AM
The last Numan live album & DVD I bought was Telekon Live. He can't better that.

I'm done with Numan until the next new studio album is out and he has something new to say. I've no interest in a DSR remix album, which I've heard may be coming out.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Gary Numan - 07/23/12 12:01 PM
I think I've probably mentioned my cynicism towards Numan's entrepreneurial skills regarding his live catalogue in other topics/rants/missives/congealedfoamaroundmyfaceasthemeninwhitecoatscometotakemeaway so I won’t go on about it here.

But.

With albums such as Manafon, A Small Craft On A Milk Sea etc – the (eye-wateringly expensive) Deluxe Edition Box Set sort of thing is going to become the norm (if it hasn’t already).

But.

They are new works. Brand new albums, brand new music so there’s a defence (just) for them existing. I bought the Manafon box set – can’t deny it – hold my hands up yer ‘onour. But I bought it in the egalitarian/stupid spirit of belief that I was contributing to one of my favourite artists and furthering his work.

Well, summat like that anyway.

So.

I don’t get the justification for this box set. For this box set - someone pressed ‘record’ at the mixing desk and someone went ‘click’ with a camera.

So what?

I think this really is a turning point for Numan – his hardcore fans are a mixture of pleasant or mental, there’s very rarely a halfway house and they’re normally quite vocally opinionated about Numan – his music or anything else. I’m not a member of any of his forums, but I’d be interested to now what his fans think.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/27/12 10:53 AM
Numan is about to enter a completely new phase of his career and personal life, with the move to LA, which is happening very soon from what I gather. Personally I'm no longer bothered about seeing him live - which will probably be something of a rarity in coming years, but I am very interested to hear how these changes affect his music and career, and I do think there's a wider audience for his current style of audience over there.

The fans on Numan forums tend to vary from the genuine, nice, passionate fan to the hardcore obsessive and the jaded cynic. All are opinionated in their own way! There's only one forum I bother using, because it's well moderated.

You have a point about the 'deluxe' kind of reissue becoming the norm - everyone's doing it now. But a lot of work goes into these both in the packaging and making the music sound as good as possible, which if it's a crucial album to you, then it's worth getting.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 07/28/12 08:38 PM

You have a point about the 'deluxe' kind of reissue becoming the norm - everyone's doing it now. But a lot of work goes into these both in the packaging and making the music sound as good as possible, which if it's a crucial album to you, then it's worth getting.

I hear you, and agree in principle with this. But...

There must come a point where fans get pissed off and with even 'new' output overpackaged and overpriced.

But

No-one HAS to actually buy it. There's no guns pointing at the head...

And

Perhaps in the current marketplace it is getting harder to make a living as a professional recording artist as returns on 'product' are so low (due to accessibility, formats, listener expectatons etc) that such moves are inevitable as a means to a singular end...?
Especially when there are people that will always buy no matter what.

Cynical?

Perhaps, but understandable in some ways.

And

There's also the issue of ownership / contracts / rights etc as artists mature / become independent / switch labels / self produce etc. Maybe they have made very little from previous 'packages' owned or licensed to other organisations, and a change in circumstances provides an opportunity to regain 'ownership' and therefore revenue...?

Dunno. Just Though Experiments.
Apologies for hijacking the Numan thread with generic ramblings.
But he is a tangible example maybe of all these points we're talking about?
Posted By: Alex S Re: Gary Numan - 07/29/12 01:15 PM
Absolutely, it's all related and relevant. Actually, the deluxe re-issue is the one thing that Numan is yet to come up with. But so far he's jumped on the bandwagon of overpriced VIP tickets, limited edition runs of things like the new book and multiple album versions – which I think is fine. There's something to suit every pocket and collector. With this kind of thing though, I think some fans (regardless of artist), feel somehow obliged to buy each one. This always puzzles me.

In some cases, when we're talking about an artist whose new releases are few and far between, any re-has of a previous album that comes along with previously unreleased/unavailable material can sometimes make it worth while.

I won't buy a deluxe re-issue systematically. For me, it's usually when it's an album I really like, but my CD is old and the sound level low in comparison to more recent albums, which is the case now for a lot of albums I bought in the early 90s for example. So to get a better sounding version of the album is part of the appeal, the rest being down to the extras it comes with.

I shall for example be picking up the new 2-disc version of Mike Oldfield's QE2 tomorrow. Now we've gone completely out of Numan territory!!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 08/15/12 05:41 PM

Gary Numan will be playing 7 shows in December for the new 'Dead Moon Falling' Tour. These concerts will feature some brand new songs from the forthcoming 'Splinter' album (due for release in 2013), plus new versions of songs from 2011's 'Dead Son Rising' album.

Gary is working alongside other legendary artists such as Alec Empire, The Duke Spirit, Alessandro Cortini (Nine Inch Nails), Tim Burgess (The Charlatans) and Gazelle Twin.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Gary Numan - 09/05/12 09:58 AM
Interesting archive interview with Gary Numan by Paul Morley in The Guardian's Rock's Back PAges thing.

Gary Numan: 'I mean, John Travolta's got a Dakota' – a classic interview from the vaults .... with mention of John Foxx and his band Ultravox.
""I think they're brilliant, the best band in the world and no one's realised it!" he enthuses."
cool
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Gary Numan - 11/05/12 06:38 PM

There's a brand new interview with Gary Numan now online

Here:

http://www.new-reviews.co.uk/?p=7329
Posted By: Herbert the turbot Re: Gary Numan - 11/05/12 07:00 PM
This one's been doing the rounds for a while but still made me chuckle.

(warning - contains bad language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Unf_WOgpBFk
© Metamatic