Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 44 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 43 44
#11277 04/19/10 03:45 PM
I do feel sorry for Numan, having had to cancel the US mini tour - I know how important the American gigs are to him. Must've cost him a fortune too.

Maybe in the meantime he'll actually do something and get some flippin' work done on these new albums!

When "Dead Son Rising" was announced back in 2008 (I think - or was it even 2007?!), it sounded like it would be with us soon. I even talked with Steve Malins about it after a John Foxx gig. it really did sound like Gary had found a selection of unreleased songs and unfinished songs that would form a new album fairly quickly - yet all we've heard is "The Fall".

Last year several potential release dates were mentioned, photo shoot done, then nothing happened, not even a news update. And recent press releases mention "Splinter" as the new album. I can only assume or hope that the recently played (and only rough) "Zulu" and "Dragging Loop" are from "Splinter". Both of which sounded dreadful.

Last year Gary talked about the intention of releasing 2 albums back-to-back -which I thought was a fantastic idea. Again months go by, no news, no update.

Has he dried up creatively? Has he given up?! He doesn't even talk about his own music with any enthusiasm any more.

I am really passionate about Gary's music, old and new, and find times like this frustrating, when we really need to have some new, fresh dynamic material...

#11278 04/20/10 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I do feel sorry for Numan, having had to cancel the US mini tour - I know how important the American gigs are to him. Must've cost him a fortune too.

Maybe in the meantime he'll actually do something and get some flippin' work done on these new albums!

When "Dead Son Rising" was announced back in 2008 (I think - or was it even 2007?!), it sounded like it would be with us soon. I even talked with Steve Malins about it after a John Foxx gig. it really did sound like Gary had found a selection of unreleased songs and unfinished songs that would form a new album fairly quickly - yet all we've heard is "The Fall".

Last year several potential release dates were mentioned, photo shoot done, then nothing happened, not even a news update. And recent press releases mention "Splinter" as the new album. I can only assume or hope that the recently played (and only rough) "Zulu" and "Dragging Loop" are from "Splinter". Both of which sounded dreadful.

Last year Gary talked about the intention of releasing 2 albums back-to-back -which I thought was a fantastic idea. Again months go by, no news, no update.

Has he dried up creatively? Has he given up?! He doesn't even talk about his own music with any enthusiasm any more.

I am really passionate about Gary's music, old and new, and find times like this frustrating, when we really need to have some new, fresh dynamic material...
Completely agree with you Alex on this one, Numan constantly promises to release material and then nothing happens. He is also getting some serious stick about the new Micromusic DVD of his farewell concert in the early 80's that has just been released, on his site a while ago he stated that it was being remastered from original tapes with new camera angles and a new interview with the release being a 2 DVD set, what has he released .... 1 DVD with no extra viewing angles and the only extra being an interview from 2005!! Furthermore the DVD is not from the remastered tapes that had been found but simply a conversion from an original laser disc! From what I have read on forums there is little improvement in picture quality from the VHS tape that was originally released.

Now i'm a massive Numan fan but the way he treats his fans is very poor and my patience has run out with him. I bought the Replicas Live DVD and returned it as the quality was diabolical, chronic pixalation throughout the whole DVD.

He seems to have a problem with the word "Quality"!

#11279 04/20/10 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Hunter:
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
[b] I do feel sorry for Numan, having had to cancel the US mini tour - I know how important the American gigs are to him. Must've cost him a fortune too.

Completely agree with you Alex on this one, Numan constantly promises to release material and then nothing happens. He is also getting some serious stick about the new Micromusic DVD of his farewell concert in the early 80's that has just been released, on his site a while ago he stated that it was being remastered from original tapes with new camera angles and a new interview with the release being a 2 DVD set, what has he released .... 1 DVD with no extra viewing angles and the only extra being an interview from 2005!! Furthermore the DVD is not from the remastered tapes that had been found but simply a conversion from an original laser disc! From what I have read on forums there is little improvement in picture quality from the VHS tape that was originally released.

Now i'm a massive Numan fan but the way he treats his fans is very poor and my patience has run out with him. I bought the Replicas Live DVD and returned it as the quality was diabolical, chronic pixalation throughout the whole DVD.

He seems to have a problem with the word "Quality"! [/b]
Hi Gary - I've yet to see MicroMusic but do plan on getting it - have you actually seen the DVD? I only ask because the NuWorld site says;

"MICROMUSIC DVD QUALITY
(News date: Mar 22)

We've noticed a few comments where people seem to think that the new MicroMusic DVD has been obtained by making a copy from an original laser disc, or even a VHS cassette. We just wanted to correct that and make it clear to everyone that the Micromusic DVD comes from fully remastered video footage from a true analogue video master tape from the 1980's period which was eventually found after literally years of searching. This master tape was of the highest possible quality, given the state of video technology that existed in the early 80's of course. In addition, the soundtrack has been remastered and offers a greatly improved audio experience compared to the original release and the DVD also features an hour long exclusive interview with Gary Numan talking frankly about the Wembley period."

I do remember the talk of new camera angles and it's noticably absent from the above text (budget? footage quality?) but it does say that it's not from a Laser Disc / VHS Cassette.

Have you actually seen it? What do you think?

Gazza

#11280 04/20/10 10:41 AM
I haven't seen the new version, but I don't know what fans were expecting - the show is over 30 years old, so there's only so much cleaning up you can do - anything shot on film is still going to look relatively old.

I would suspect that of other camera angle footage was available, it probably wasn't any good, or not available after all, as Numan states, he'd been looking for a good enough source for years, as he clearly never had the archive tapes.

Numan usually always gives fans excellent value for money. I wonder if this is another Dash Productions release - I've noticed that the quality of their work isn't always particularly good... on the "Cold Warning" DVD, it's obvious that it hasn't been cleaned up at all, as a huge, white tape line scrolls down the screen during one track!

#11281 04/20/10 03:46 PM

#11282 04/20/10 07:04 PM
M
M
Sometimes life gets in the way of plans.

#11283 04/20/10 07:42 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Don't you think also this is expecting too much?

Back in the day we used to just get excited when a new album came out and couldn't wait to get it home to hear what was on it and what it sounded like, conjuring up tunes in our head best on the mysterious song titles on the sleeve.

These days, with t'internet and all, we only need ot get a whiff of what an artist is up to and we want to know it all and have it all.

Can't we just get what we given, when it comes out?

When did it become up to us what material sounded like or when it became available...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#11284 04/21/10 07:01 AM
... but then again should we expect to like poor quality releases from artists. I think it is more than fair to hear both sides, both positive and negative.

In Numan's case he was the one who promised a 2 DVD release regards the micromusic DVD it was n't a case of fans expecting a 2 DVD release, therefore fans have the right to complain about the quality of the release if it is n't what was advertised.

In the case of John I think it is fair to see in the main he releases quality material, can the same be said of Numan, also John sticks to release dates, maybe the odd release may slip back a week or two. I case in point is Numan's "Dead Son Rising" album, he said that was going to be released last April, previous releases have never met they release dates not by weeks but years!

#11285 04/22/10 08:27 AM
I didn't know this was coming out (MicroMusic) so thanks for the tip off. I've ordered and must now wait a week or so before it graces these far off shores (and airmail backlog is significant right now).

Whatever comes through, it can only be a pale reminder of the actual live shows themselves, but for me and my advancing years, I need a little reminder to rekindle that magic. ANYTHING will do to be honest, and I deeply regret not buying the VHS tape when it was released (shortly after the concerts, but you had to send a VHS tape off to be dubbed) - not having a video player in those days meant it would have been a very useless paperweight or something!

The recordings were made SO long ago that I doubt it will be high quality - I'll aim for OK and take it from there. Any worse and I'll probably shrug my shoulders a bit and learn from the experience. smile

#11286 04/24/10 10:18 AM
I for one am just grateful for what he does release, irrespective of release date (and quality)Personally I am "old school"Numan and have a predilection for his former material.
I harbour fantastic memories of rushing home with Replicas and I was not dissapointed.
Perhaps people expect too much from "technology".

I understand peoples thirst for new and avand garde material but Numan achieved this back in 1979

Be it fresh and dynamic or run of the mill,for me Numan still leaves many artists in his inimitable wake. I appreciate all the diversity of comments on this wonderful forum,that's what makes life so interesting and exciting.

To cut a long story short I will be spinning a multitude of Numan tonight.

If I am promised the moon by him but in its stead have in my possession a pocketful of dust then so be it.His genius is made available to buy or to pass it by.

I for one am extremely happy with his contribution to the wonderful world of music.It eases my passage through life be it good times or the converse.

Happy listening all.

Whatever the era or quality.

Ad infinitum

Page 24 of 44 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 43 44

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.