Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 44 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 43 44
#11287 04/24/10 12:17 PM
I agree. What a superb post!

#11288 04/28/10 06:41 AM
Wow! That was a quick delivery! Arrived today. Now I need a quiet few hours in the house to watch it (and a good bottle of wine maybe?). Will report my findings later. Sleeve notes by Steve Malins were interesting, I wonder if he was there as well, because he captured the feeling very well I thought. Also, a stage set "as big as a city"? Repurposing? Speaking of which, I don't suppose that "Never Let Me Go" is going to be on the soundtrack of the film of the same name (original book by Kazuo Ishiguro - one of the "collaborators" hinted at in the interview on eyetunes. Film out later this year, Keira Knightley stars.

#11289 04/28/10 11:41 AM
There is a new interview with Gary HERE , which gives a bit of an indication as to where he's at with the new material...

#11290 04/28/10 01:58 PM
OK, just watched the '81 concert DVD and here is my view:

Technical quality is OK in my very humble opinion. It looks and sounds like an '80s vieo recording, so I am in no way surprised. I am though, taken back in time to actually being there - this DVD transported me back to so many memories that are still very strong in my frontal lobe. If you were at this concert, you should buy this DVD and enjoy reminiscing. If you weren't there, consider if you want to witness one of the most incredible moments of UK pop history, then buy accordingly!

What makes this a "must-have" for me though, is the very frank and open (and very human) interview on this DVD where Gary is very open and honest about his journey through pop history and this concert history. It is very open, eye opening, and worth the cover price alone.

My kids didn't enjoy this one little bit, but I am SO happy to have relived this very important part of my gig hisory. Still the best gig I've seen by far, and not even close to being eclipsed!!

#11291 04/28/10 02:37 PM
Hmm, I'd like to see the new interview.

Speaking of which, there's another recent press interview here...

#11292 04/30/10 07:06 AM
oh.. forgot to mention the bad bits of the video.

I have two minor gripes:

1) The director felt a need to do "freeze frame" close ups of Gary at the end of each song. They really weren't needed, and were way too long anyway.

2) I know it is a Gary Numan video, but there was close to no footage of the band playing. They did a fantastic job and should get *some* of the limelight.

Other than that, pretty much as expected! smile

#11293 04/30/10 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:

2) I know it is a Gary Numan video, but there was close to no footage of the band playing. They did a fantastic job and should get *some* of the limelight.
I noticed that on The Touring Principle too .. he is in every single shot and evry frame is focused on him .. even during, say, a Billy Currie solo you just get (close-up) shots of Gazza pouting and strutting up and down which is all good and well, but by modern standards is unacceptable. There is never a shot of just the band by itself or any of any single member. I wondered if that was a conscious "artistic" decision by GN/director or whether it was just a technical limit in those days. I suspect the former.
:rolleyes:

#11294 04/30/10 08:28 AM
I think it's a concert film trend from the time - I've seen similar in other shows, such as Bowie's Serious Moonlight for example; freeze frames, effects, and few shots of the band.

It's just a sign 'o the times.

#11295 06/04/10 05:28 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Behind the scenes at Telekon - FutureMusic mini film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w151nzUhDK4&feature=youtu.be

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#11296 06/04/10 06:47 PM
Thats 2 cracking bits of news you have posted - thanks Martin

Page 25 of 44 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 43 44

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.