Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 44 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 43 44
#11237 11/26/09 06:45 PM
Administrator
Administrator
The set list was slightly different at Southampton, because Complex was earlier as per the album's running order.
I came away thinking that Cars is actually a very weak track in the context of the album, although obviously it proved a very strong choice as a single.

Also, I recall that Numan took some persuading to do this TPP retro tour, so its hardly surprising that he seemed to want to 'get it over with'...

It all worked for me perfectly. If it is just a case of 'give em what they want' (which maybe what persuaded him to do the gigs in the first place), then the set list is pretty good and covers all bases I reckon.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#11238 11/27/09 07:45 AM
I am a big fan of Gary's current music - my problem with the gig was all down to a crap venue and sound. Although his choice of songs was a bit predictable, I'd heard all the tracks live before, and know how good they usually sound.

And I think the contrast in styles was maybe too great in this instance. I was so into the synth-driven, more minimal sounding Pleasure Principle set, I didn't want it to end!

I've seen the clips on YouTube from the Southampton gig and it looked great. Martin, is it true that Chris Payne joined them on stage to play some electric violin?

#11239 11/27/09 09:23 AM
Administrator
Administrator
I don't recall this at Southampton - there didn't seem to be any more specific cheering or whatever, and certainly no introduction...

But for the first four or five tracks I couldn't see well. And the band throughout TPP were lit from the back and in silhouette most of the time

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#11240 12/01/09 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I am a big fan of Gary's current music - my problem with the gig was all down to a crap venue and sound. Although his choice of songs was a bit predictable, I'd heard all the tracks live before, and know how good they usually sound.

And I think the contrast in styles was maybe too great in this instance. I was so into the synth-driven, more minimal sounding Pleasure Principle set, I didn't want it to end!

I've seen the clips on YouTube from the Southampton gig and it looked great. Martin, is it true that Chris Payne joined them on stage to play some electric violin?
So far that happened at Brighton only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0A6p3Dbe0g

Lewis

#11241 12/01/09 01:36 AM
Hey Lewis...good to see ya here buddy!!

..Will post a few pics and YouTube links of the Edinburgh and Glasgow gigs soon

Both were excellent...sond was BIG and crisp...the band DID look [i]bored[/] playing the PP stuff but I personaly think this is all part of the 'SHOW!'...contrast from what he started out with to were he is now....
Personaly I enjoyed both halfs of the show but could have done with a more 'up-tempo' end to the show wink

#11242 12/01/09 07:38 AM
"We Are Glass" should have been the closing track!

#11243 12/01/09 08:05 AM
M
M
The gig at wolverhampton was good. Nothing special, just good. Sound was ok, although I could hardly hear the bass player (is he a new one?). I enjoyed both sets in equal measure,. The highlight of the first set being 'Conversation' & the worst being a messy 'Asylum'. Second set highlight was 'We Are So Fragile' & the worst, a horrible version of 'Jagged', which I think is close to an Ade Fenton mix from 'Jagged Edge' which is very disjointed.

I really do have an issue with Richard Beasley's drumming at times. He puts fills in the wrong places a lot of the time & sometimes he plays too fast & slightly out of time. I don't expect his playing to be exactly like Cedric's playing on TPP, but close to it wouldn't have been a bad thing.

The support band 'Dirty Harry' were so banal.

#11244 12/01/09 11:12 AM
The current band line-up is not Gary's best. I much preferred the line up Gary used from the mid-90s right up to the 2006 Telekon shows.

#11245 12/01/09 11:25 AM
And I've had the misfortune to see Dirty Harry twice now and I don't like them at all!

#11246 12/01/09 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Hey Lewis...good to see ya here buddy!!

..Will post a few pics and YouTube links of the Edinburgh and Glasgow gigs soon

Both were excellent...sond was BIG and crisp...the band DID look [i]bored[/] playing the PP stuff but I personaly think this is all part of the 'SHOW!'...contrast from what he started out with to were he is now....
Personaly I enjoyed both halfs of the show but could have done with a more 'up-tempo' end to the show wink
Hi Will, hows it going?

Page 20 of 44 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 43 44

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.