Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#40558 07/02/11 04:44 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Steve has announced via twitter that there is now also a gig in York

At The Duchess on 24th October

http://www.theduchessyork.co.uk/whats-on/detail/700

6 x VIP tickets will go on sale Monday morning

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
S
S
They've just announced a show at Glasgow Arches for Sunday 23rd October. Getting up at 4am for work on the Monday is holding me back from getting a ticket but I might just risk a lack of sleep to go & see it.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Here's the Artrocker promo for October's Interplay dates at the Xoyo in that there London

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I will deffo be going to the Liverpool gig. Can't wait!

I think it'll be York for me

H
H
York for me too, I think.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Benge on the (1972) Future Shock thing:-

http://myblogitsfullofstars.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Birdsong; 07/05/11 01:59 PM.

Leamington Spa for me.

F
F
is he going to come to Brighton? :p

G
G
Purchased 2 tickets for Glasgow on 23rd October... can't wait as this'll be the first time I've seen him live.

Even managed to persuade my other half, although I think the night in a nice hotel in Glasgow the night before may have played an important part in her decision to join me at the gig... lol

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Dates and other details about the tour are now available at the John Foxx and The Maths website here:

http://blog.johnfoxxandthemaths.com/?p=632

Thanks for the pointer Martin.

I've bagged a couple of tickets for Leamington Spa

F
F
well, no Brighton gig so I guess this means a trip to London, if I can afford it....

C
C
Great news about the tour, and have just got my ticket for John and Benge at the Arches Glasgow on the 23rd October, I had originally planned combining a trip to Manchester to see a friend with attending the gig there on the 21st, but Glasgow is a lot more 'cost-effective'...

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Here's the official tour ad. Designed by Jonathan Barnbrook.
As if you couldn't tell ;D

[img]http://twitpic.com/5sgpww[/img]

Last edited by Birdsong; 07/19/11 12:24 PM.

York tickets purchased this morning.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Full details of the Interplay tour can now be found on this website, here:

http://www.metamatic.com/zNewsdocs/news201104.html

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
And here they are - John Foxx + The Maths

L-R: Benge, Serafina Steer, Hannah Peel, John Foxx

http://blog.thequietman.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/the-maths1.jpeg

F
F
the only downside of a tour is that forum meetings are likely to be smaller wink

But the upside Fons is that my liver will last longer. smirk

Just purchased ticket for Bristol.

Already have one for Leamington.

Was thinking about York but I can get to Brizzle quicker.

Brian

F
F
Originally Posted By: Brian
But the upside Fons is that my liver will last longer. smirk

lol, that's a very positive upside! :):)

Ordered tickets for both London shows.

ROLL ON OCTOBER!!!

S
S
Just bought my ticket for Glasgow. Now need to arrange a shift swap when I go back to work on Monday.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Yesterday on twitter, Steve announced the wonderful Xeno & Oaklander as support for two of the Interplay shows - London (27 October) Holmfirth (nr Sheffield) on the 28th.

This New York retro dark-wave electronic duo are among my favourite contemporary bands. Their album Sentinelle is brilliant, and there's talk of a new release later this year

Here's a clip Benge posted on his blog after The Maths went to a recent gig at The Lexington

http://myblogitsfullofstars.blogspot.com/2011/07/bubbles.html

Last edited by Birdsong; 07/30/11 09:12 AM.

C
C
Originally Posted By: Birdsong
Yesterday on twitter, Steve announced the wonderful Xeno & Oaklander as support for two of the Interplay shows... Their album Sentinelle is brilliant, and there's talk of a new release later this year

Cheers for posting this Martin, you've just had me spend the last hour listening to lots of tracks from Sentinelle on youtube, lovely stuff, may have to get this album, wish they were supporting at Glasgow.

F
F
So why no Brighton date? John & Louis brought nearly all their other tours to Brighton, and they were well attended - even the cinema screening of Tiny Colour Movies. Are we supposed to just hike up to London to see him?
I'm afaid that would probably cost about £60 each,
bit too skint to fork out that kind of money on a gig frown
Shame.

Last edited by feline1; 08/01/11 11:01 PM.
Tickets for both London* nights - see some of you there! smile

(*should be back to normal by then...honest)

C
C
Originally Posted By: RadioBeach
Tickets for both London* nights - see some of you there! smile

(*should be back to normal by then...honest)

the famous old east end 'Blitz' spirit Garry, and I'm expecting reports of Steve Strange look-a-likes on the streets equipped with brooms and dustpans.

How come there are two London Interplay nights scheduled, is it a small venue? or is the show in two parts? - that's some intermission...

H
H
Yesterday on twitter, Steve announced the wonderful Xeno & Oaklander as support for two of the Interplay shows - London (27 October) Holmfirth (nr Sheffield) on the 28th.

Holmfirth may technically be near Sheffield but it really is out in the sticks. It's a small town a few miles south of Huddersfield, most famous as the setting of the long-running sitcom "Last Of The Summer Wine". The problem is public transport there is poor to non-existent in the evening, so if (like me) you don't drive, you've no way of getting back home after the gig. Thus - even though it's around 20 miles from my home - it's a non-starter for me.

Why on earth couldn't they have found a venue in Sheffield or Leeds instead?

Last edited by Herbert the turbot; 08/12/11 09:11 AM.
Holmfirth is a very bizarre choice. I wonder if they've even seen a synthesiser there.

A long overdue return to Sheffield would have been very welcome, and I would have thought the new(ish) O2 Academy in the city centre would have been perfect for this tour.

Much better than that broom cupboard in the Leadmill they crammed John and Louis in, back in 2006.

Or even the seldom mentioned art deco Library Theatre.

M
M
I bought tickets for both London shows and booked flights yesterday. Now I need to find an unexpensive place to stay from Monday to Friday that week.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
The new website is now online for the 2011 Unsound Festival Future Shock in Krakow.

John Foxx and The Maths line up against Chris and Cosey on October 15th in a slot entitled
The Engineering Museum : Enclaves Of The Future

http://unsound.pl/en/festival/program/schedule/2011

Promises to be a great night of music. One I'd love to be able to get to. frown

C
C
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris

John will be performing classic Ultravox songs and tracks from his new album Interplay when he tours the UK in October

(Hope you don't mind me taking that quote from the MOJO thread Rob)

Can I be a party-pooper and say that I'd rather John and Benge did not perform Any Ultravox tracks but played instead All of the Maths tracks/works and perhaps a few from Johns solo material?

I'll second that to be honest. Although plans are probably well under way, I'm not thatfussed about hearing any old Ultravox tracks played live. A couple would be nice, but I'd rather see Interplay get a good live airing alongside a load of John's solo tracks – there is so much to choose from, out of his discography, it just seems like a shame to focus (again, as per the last few gigs) on UV tracks, when it's the perfect opportunity to perform some of the solo stuff to what's probably fair to say, a wider audience. Especially on a tour of this level, given the media attention and album popularity.

I think 'cause of Mrs. Hannah Peel is playing violin too it would be possible listening to tracks like I want To Be A Machine and Others.

I'm happy with the decision the set list includes new and old songs. I'm sure it will work well. We will see (and hear) in October...

I think I am right in saying John & The Maths have not played any Foxx\Gordon tracks live. So, assuming that continues, and IMW and TGS are ignored, we are left with Interplay, Metamatic, The Garden and early Ultravox. Which is exactly what we got at the last show.

I've no problem with that, although I would hope Interplay would take a starring role this time. We shall see grin

I suppose it'd be unfair on Louis for John to play songs of their albums, without him. Sadly, that's five of his best albums!

So I suspect you're right in that we'll get Maths songs alongside Metamatic, Garden and early UV tracks.

Never mind watching a building on fire ... Foxxy has obviously invested in an alternative occupation, should The Maths tour prove to be less profitable..

John Foxx & Co.

crazy

Haha. What were you doing to find that?! Not sure the whole burning building thing will be a good marketing tactic though...

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
It's just been announced that John Foxx and The Maths will be playing at in the Sinners Day festival in Belgium on October 20th

http://www.sinnersday.com/

Patti Smith, Blancmange, Psychedelic Furs, Karl Bartos and Visage also on the bill

It's just been announced that John Foxx and The Maths will be playing at in the Sinners Day festival in Belgium on October 20th

http://www.sinnersday.com/

Patti Smith, Blancmange, Psychedelic Furs, Karl Bartos and Visage also on the bill

..nice little resumé here

Originally Posted By: Alex S
Haha. What were you doing to find that?! Not sure the whole burning building thing will be a good marketing tactic though...

LOL .. I have a daily Google alert thing for "John Foxx" and it just came up.

Anyway when he's not building or making music in London, our Foxxy gets about a lot, and is also "lovin' Dallas" too by the way.. he's just "gotta say" that .. it's taken years off him too by the looks ..
keep playin' those i93 hits John!

Got my ticket today for teh 25th October (London) - anyone else going?

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I'll be in London for the next one , on 27th.

I want to see the exhibition too, and I don't think that starts until 26th

I deliberately went for the 25th so that I could catch Tara Busch as support - I am beguiled by the voice of this little American lady. The new E.P. "The Rocket Wife" is simply brilliant.

C
C
Originally Posted By: Geigertek
I deliberately went for the 25th so that I could catch Tara Busch as support

Wish she was supporting John further north. My ticket just says 'John Foxx' (no Maths mentioned). I wonder who the support act is for the Glasgow gig?

N
N
Originally Posted By: core memory
I deliberately went for the 25th so that I could catch Tara Busch as support

Wish she was supporting John further north. My ticket just says 'John Foxx' (no Maths mentioned). I wonder who the support act is for the Glasgow gig?

It was announced that she was supporting the whole tour, plus in the latest Arches gig guide that they sent me in the mail she is listed as support, so don't fret smile

C
C
Originally Posted By: numan-chris
It was announced that she was supporting the whole tour, plus in the latest Arches gig guide that they sent me in the mail she is listed as support, so don't fret smile

cheers Chris, I missed that news, though as I'm at work that day the pressures now on to get across to the gig in time for the support!

I am beguiled by the voice of this little American lady. The new E.P. "The Rocket Wife" is simply brilliant.

I've listened to her myspace and decided to buy her Pilfershire Lane album. Some tracks (online at least) seem to be a headphones-on experience for me, subtle sounds and voices in the background with a 'floaty' attitude to the psychedelic nature of the album, and a compass tone set more to the dark than to the light. Presently the album is at a bargain price on amazonUK- £4.01...

Interesting clip here to watch, Tara meets TED:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-g5CCpYeSM

(incidentally, isn't it time that our John met TED?)

Good share Core Memory - great clip. The more I see and hear of this lady, the more fascinating she and her material become. Great performer and recording artist. Look forward to seeing what Tara and the Foxxter come up with between them.

Last edited by Geigertek; 09/16/11 07:21 PM.
Hot off the Leamington Spa press ...

"prepare yourself to be sonically assaulted"

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Thanks for sharing this link - now filed in the archive smile

Leamington Spa won't know what's hit them ...

B
B
Finally getting back on the forum since the Troxy gig... (!)

I am going to 8 of these gigs:

Leamington Spa
Bristol
Manchester
Liverpool
Glasgow
York
London (25th)
London (27th)

Seems that most folks are going to the London show, saw 1 vote for Liverpool and 1 for Glasgow...and a couple of you on Twitter mentioned York and Leamington Spa.

So--who can I expect to see in what cities? I'm happy to be seeing John and crew, but I also look forward to seeing all of you before the shows.

C
C
Originally Posted By: Brigid
I am going to 8 of these gigs:

Leamington Spa
Bristol
Manchester
Liverpool
Glasgow
York
London (25th)
London (27th)

Brigid, I think these numbers must qualify you as a Maths groupie!

After work finishes I'm hoping to get through to the Glasgow gig with time to spare...

S
S
I'll be at the Glasgow gig.

I'll be at the XOYO gig in London on the 25th :-)

T
T
I'm going to the Bristol gig. Hope to see you there Brigid!

I will be going to the Liverpool gig. It's his first gig in this city since 2006. Can't wait.

Originally Posted By: the church puddle

I will also be at Bristol as well as Leamington.

Brian

B
B
Thanks! It's good to know who I'm looking for at these gigs. smile

Church Puddle--it'll be great to see you, haven't seen you since Roundhouse!

Brian--I will look for you at Leamington--drop me a Twitter message if any kind of meetup develops...

Core Memory--re: "Maths groupie"--LOL, perhaps--more of a Foxx junkie, I think. Given that I flew to England 5 times in 2009 for Foxx events...at least for these gigs, I only have to pay plane fare once!

T
T
Originally Posted By: the church puddle

I will also be at Bristol as well as Leamington.

Brian

Cool, but we'll have to skip the Czech lagers this time ... I need to be with it enough to get the last train!

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Note to everyone going to the Interplay gigs

As you know, Rob and I are working on a major update to this website. As part of that, we intend to host galleries etc linking from pages dedicated to every John Foxx gig there's ever been.
Interplay tour takes that to well over 350...

So if you are going to a gig next week and come away with some decent photos, a review or other anecdotes, we'd love to compile them into the archive. The more content we can have on the site, the more definitive metamatic.com will once again become.

In the immediate short term, there'll be a topic for each gig so we can share stories etc, where people can link to their own photosets or blogs etc.

I know Facebook / Twitter / YouTube etc lead the way these days with this kind of thing, but posting links to your material from here will bolster the archive and contribute towards our site review. We'd like our galleries to stand the test of time and be a permanent record of John's work, so if you can submit material to us for that we'd be really grateful.
It will all be credited, and will in turn link back to individual contributors own sites etc

There's a plethora of really good John Foxx blogs and sites etc, and its a fun challenge keeping on top of what's going on at them all.
I'm quite keen to follow Alex's lead with his Quiet City Updates thread - encourage everyone that produces Foxx-related media to use this forum as a gateway to updates and messages etc.

Thanks.

And for the record - I'll be at Xoyo on 27th. Look forward to meeting some of you there. No pictures, mind ;D

Last edited by Birdsong; 10/10/11 08:29 PM.

Does anyone know if Townsend have sent the tickets out yet?

M
M
I'm going to the Leamington Spa gig. Won't be getting there until about 7:30 - 7:45. Would like to meet up with other forum members if possible, in the venue.

Mark Henson

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
An interview with John Foxx ahead of the gig in Liverpool :

http://www.peterguy.merseyblogs.co.uk/2011/10/john-foxx.html

"Liverpool has always thrown up some interesting people…"

John Foxx And the Maths play the Stanley Theatre, Liverpool on 22nd

M
M
Ticket for Leamington Spa just handed to me by the postman. How's that for timing!

cool

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Fantastic! Just heard that Brigid is on her way.

Enjoy the show!!!

T
T
Originally Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik
Ticket for Leamington Spa just handed to me by the postman. How's that for timing!

cool

Excellent Mark!

I'm due in Leamington at about 6:30, and I will seeking out a Bacchanalian dive for a pre gig pint. Look forward to seeing you in Assembly. smile

Brigid and Mateybloke live tweeting from Leamington Spa!
Hannah Peel also tweeted
"After 2 wks in a basement, we are in a park...later playing a gig."

twitpic from matey:

An interview with John Foxx ahead of the gig in Liverpool :

http://www.peterguy.merseyblogs.co.uk/2011/10/john-foxx.html

"Liverpool has always thrown up some interesting people…"

John Foxx And the Maths play the Stanley Theatre, Liverpool on 22nd

Ooh - he links to my site too! Cool!! cool

What news from Leamington Spa, my Lords?

M
M
Well... what a fantastic evening I had. Thoroughly entertained & ilektrified.

Tara Busch should be a superstar. She is incredible. Her performance was mesmerizing.

A great set from John & The Maths. For a first night tour gig the band played very well. A couple of mistakes here & there, but that's what live music is supposed to be about. I don't want to hear a polished performance. The live mix was really good & the trouser flapping bass made me feel like I was wearing massive flares! Especially during Tara's set.

Set List:

Shatterproof
He's A Liquid
Evergreen
No-One Driving
The Running Man
Shadow Of His Former Self
Hiroshima Mon Amour
A New Kind Of Man
Plaza
Watching A Building On Fire
Dislocation
Interplay
Catwalk
Summerland
Just For A Moment
Burning Car

encore:

The Good Shadow
Underpass

Lovely to finally meet Brian & Brigid. Also lovely to meet Rob again.

The re-introduction of electric violin into the music is something else.

I did take a few photos which i'll put on my FB page. The pics aren't too bad, but Brian's will be better.

Than you John, Benge, Hannah, Serafina, & Tara. You made the evening very special.

Last edited by Mr.Ilektrik; 10/14/11 10:45 AM.
Thanks Mr Ilektrik. Incredible set list. I like that Evergreen was followed by No One Driving as I'd often noticed a certain similarity..were they 'segued' into each other in any way??

Cross Fade was apparently the 'mysterious' old B side, mentioned on the radio interview, but equally as mysteriously obviously didn't make it.

BTW for Leamington write-up and continuing reports stay tuned in to Brid's Blog y'all . .it's going to be essential reading for the next 16 days or so! Thanks Brigid.
http://brigidburke.blogspot.com/

smile

Rehearsal footage from #johnfoxx at The Assembly Leamington Catwalk

http://youtu.be/pcnsppID37U

He's a Liquid in a back to the Future moment with Violin!

http://youtu.be/ewDljdoGIZA

Tara Busch should be a superstar. She is incredible. Her performance was mesmerizing.

A great set from John & The Maths. For a first night tour gig the band played very well. A couple of mistakes here & there, but that's what live music is supposed to be about. I don't want to hear a polished performance. The live mix was really good & the trouser flapping bass made me feel like I was wearing massive flares! Especially during Tara's set.

Set List:

Sidewalk
He's A Liquid
Evergreen
No-One Driving
The Running Man
Hiroshima Mon Amour
A New Kind Of Man
Plaza
Dislocation
Interplay
Catwalk
Summerland
Just For A Moment
Burning Car

encore:

The Good Shadow
Underpass

I did take a few photos which i'll put on my FB page. The pics aren't too bad, but Brian's will be better.

Than you John, Benge, Hannah, Serafina, & Tara. You made the evening very special.

Nice to finally meet you too Mr I.Many Thanks for the CD.

First track was Shatterproof I'm 100% sure of that.

Brian

The Archive
The Archive

Yup, definitely Shatterproof...

And here are a couple of my pics - more to follow...

Rob

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Cheers Rob.

Nice expression on the guys faces in the last shot.

"Y'know what, Ben? It's all gonna be OK"
"'appen so, John. Let's do it"

M
M

Set List:

Sidewalk
He's A Liquid
Evergreen
No-One Driving
The Running Man
Hiroshima Mon Amour
A New Kind Of Man
Plaza
Dislocation
Interplay
Catwalk
Summerland
Just For A Moment
Burning Car

encore:

The Good Shadow
Underpass

Nice to finally meet you too Mr I.Many Thanks for the CD.

Brian

Yes it was. Sorry, Should've checked it before posting. Have corrected my mistake.

What an intimate venue the Assembly is! Small, with stunning art-deco features, it was a great stage for some synth pleasure. We arrived late – no sooner had we got a drink and bagged a copy of The Shape Of Things and Tara Busch was on stage. I hadn’t expected the venue to be all seating (even though it said ‘unreserved seating’ on the tickets). Even with our late arrival, we managed to get seats on the 5th row with a perfect view of the entire stage.

A few people preferred standing at the back and I’m guessing around 250 in attendance.

The audience was still and attentive during Tara’s fabulous show – it almost felt like she was performing in my living room it was so quiet and she was so close. She was brilliant.

Then John came on. After the recent London shows again it felt so close, so intimate. It was a fabulous, dynamic performance, and a superb set-list. 8 songs from Interplay! Wonderful!

Catwalk was the trigger for some brave souls to move to the front of the stage and start dancing and the numbers grew from that point on. By the time Underpass was in full swing it seemed a good portion of the audience was on their feet.

I don’t think it would be fair to compare the sound quality with that generated at the much larger Troxy – but this still sounded great.

Anyone going to the later shows – you are in for a treat!

Last edited by MikeG; 10/14/11 02:34 PM.
C
C
Rehearsal footage from #johnfoxx at The Assembly Leamington... He's a Liquid in a back to the Future moment with Violin! http://youtu.be/ewDljdoGIZA

I'm very much liking the inclusion of violin as part of this.

I can only agree with what has already been said.....a brilliant night and John was in fine voice. This is Evergreen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqEwSdrqdGY

Apart from the new CD are their any other items of merchandise for sale?

T
T
A big thumbs up for Leamington from me too. Wow. What a brill night. The Assembly is an elegant ballroom type hall, but suitably dark. And a Foxx gig has never sounded better. Some songs that I wouldn't have thought could get any better were taken into dreamland with the vintage equipment. And Hannah's violin was just superb. Highlights for me included He's A Liquid, The Shadow Of His Former Self, Dislocation, Interplay and Summerland.

And you're all going to be well pleased with The Shape Of Things. As it was sprung upon us so quickly I thought it might be a bit basic package-wise. But nothing could be further from the truth. It's another little hardback book affair similar to The Complete Cathedral Oceans, with lyrics, photos, and cool graphics from Mr Barnbrook. The music is an intriguing mix of the sort of more accessible stuff found on Interplay, short intrumentals and purposefully flawed dark n dirty numbers. Rear-View Mirror hit thee spot immediately. The bonus disc is a corker too, with only the Shatterproof remix leaving me unimpressed. And if you, like me, feel that Interplay the song somehow manages to be both perfect and achingly short at the same time, then ache no more. The extended 'Grays Out' mix is fab.

Good to meet Brigid and have a little chat. Sorry I didn't discern any other forum members - especially you Mr I - though the unexpected seating wasn't the ideal medium for mingling. And then I had to rush off at the end for my train.

Oh you lucky lucky people with shows still to attend!

Last edited by The Quiet Trees; 10/14/11 03:28 PM.
A bit more Metamatic-heavy than I was hoping. Feels a bit like it's been overdone this last few years. Underpass at the end is a curious choice. Does this work?!

T
T
Not all that much on the merch stall as far as I noticed. Besides the new album there was Interplay, Sideways and Crash And Burn, with a special offer on the latter two if you buy them both. Also two different t shirts (Interplay and The Maths, I think) and Tara Busch's album.

And this is Catwalk from Leamington Spa. It gets a bit blurry after about 30 secs, but it only lasts for 20 seconds or so. It was a brilliant performance from all on stage and they all looked like they were having fun! And can you spot yourself dancing at the front??!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17MfL4eYMQg

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Thanks for this - rare to see people dancing at the front of a Foxxy gig.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Metamatic / Underpass is a staple of Foxx gigs and it wouldn't be the same with out these 'hooks'. Many people go to the shows because these are the only songs they know.

Make a note to stand close to the bar so you can buy a round when these tracks come on ;D

I don't drink at gigs, so I'll just have to put up with them! wink

It wasn't a "complaint" as such, as I love those tracks and they're amazing live - I guess I was just hoping for a bit more variety given the breadth of John's discography. Although I suspect the absence of any Foxx/Gordon tracks is deliberate, because Louis isn't there to play his tracks and they were more digital.

Anyway, I don't doubt the setlist will evolve throughout the tour.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I didn't say you had to drink - just that you could buy the round ;-D

Yes - I expect the list will evolve, but that'll more likely be in running order than content.
Although it is quite a long setlist at the moment, so who knows.

C
C
Originally Posted By: Alex S
Anyway, I don't doubt the setlist will evolve throughout the tour.

I think that's quite a fascinating aspect, it would be great to view the evolution of a tour first-hand, not something I'd ever be able to/or do, but I'll be checking Brigid's blog with interest to see an audience members personal account from town to town. I wonder if any forum members are off to Poland?

Originally Posted By: MemberD
I like that Evergreen was followed by No One Driving as I'd often noticed a certain similarity..were they 'segued' into each other in any way??).

There was a clear break between each and every track (I did notice John seemed to be turning a page over at the end of each song, but I couldn't quite see what was going on).

Last edited by MikeG; 10/14/11 07:18 PM.
F
F
So, back after a small pause.
Great to see the video's and photographs! Thanks to all smile

B
B
Thanks, Mark for posting the link to my blog. And thanks everyone for the nice comments on the first review--I haven't had a chance to directly respond, as I've been running from one side of England to the other (almost literally, to judge by how my feet feel today) for the last two days. It was good to meet Mr. Ilektrik, Quiet Trees, and Ken H. at the gig--the more, the merrier!

I'm hoping that subsequent reviews will be as timely (i.e., right after the shows), but that will be proportional to the hour I return to my room, and the amount of alcohol ingested during the evening. wink

V
V

F
F
Maybe I missed it but is any of the concerts being recorded for future cd / dvd release? smile
Counting down! \o/

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Super casual portrait of John Foxx And The Maths

B
B
Great photo--someone caught them all in the same room at the same time! (That's rare, believe me...)

Some excellent ones on Ed Fieldings flickr page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edfielding/sets/72157627974622138/

This is my fave:

(reproduction not allowed, so click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/edfielding/6277668137/in/set-72157627974622138 )

Taken in York

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
It's a superb picture of the band.

Right, it's a this point that I drop in a huge THANK YOU to everyone that is posting links in this thread and the gig-specific ones. It's working very well, and saving me a bucketload of time pulling all the bits and bobs together.

It's really feeling now that this forum is coming to life in the participatory way that I envisaged, which bodes well for the rest of the website we are re-developing.
I've always wanted this site to be a kind of anchor, a base point to which everything else is linked and connected. We can't possibly hope to keep up with all the social media etc, but by taking on the role of some sort of conduit, we will maintain an archive of all that buzzes and flickers around us.

There's some super stuff out there - fan reviews, blogs, pictures etc. Distilling the Foxx experience will prove quite fun when the storm settles post tour, but I am so looking forward to that.

All good things - keep it coming! laugh

Last edited by Birdsong; 10/26/11 04:10 PM.

Cheers Martin,

I still have quite a bit of stuff to upload.

Hope to get it all up soon.

Brian

I havent been able to get used to this new site at all. I really dont like it. I might even go as far to say that I hate it (sorry). Somehow it just seems much more complicated. All over the place. This is the first time I have posted and in fact in spite of the new album and the tour I come here much less. Face book seems to be a much better to get info....Sorry once again....

Originally Posted By: Furniture
I havent been able to get used to this new site at all. I really dont like it. I might even go as far to say that I hate it (sorry). Somehow it just seems much more complicated. All over the place. This is the first time I have posted and in fact in spite of the new album and the tour I come here much less. Face book seems to be a much better to get info....Sorry once again....

I imagine you're referring to the forum Furniture. Yes, others have expressed difficulties elsewhere too.
I'm not getting the e-mail notifications even though I always tick the 'subscribe' box. Frustrating!

I have a number of comments, though all this ought to me moved to a 'forum suggestions' kind of thread...

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
There is a thread for 'How do you use this forum?' in which this should be discussed.
Suggestions are very welcome!

http://www.metamatic.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1787/How_do_you_use_the_forum#Post1787

It's taken Rob and I some time to get used to the new software from UBB and to adapt it to do what we want to do. I realise there are still some features missing etc and it may be that we can work out how to re-instate them if we know what people like (or don't like)

We can't promise, as it is a minefield of complications (that's 'upgrades' for you) and we are not entirely used to it ourselves yet!

Mx

John Foxx & The Maths October 2011 Tour Collection

All of my sets from gigs organised into 1 collection

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mateybloke/collections/72157627987995888/

Brian

Some brilliant photos there Brian!

Cheers Alex.

If I make Fridays show there may be more

Brian

Fingers crossed you make Friday's :-)

I'm going,all sorted.Cheers Neal grin

Er I'm not going now.

John Foxx has split his head open on a table according to a tweet from Hannah peel:-(

Hope he's ok

Just spoken with Chris Curran,he's ok,had a nasty knock but he's not fit to travel.

Brian

Ouch!!!

And of course, hope he's okay.

Superb venue, gig was awesome! I was at the front and got some decent photos and a video of Plaza, when I have time I might upload the video to youtube, is it OK to link to it on this forum?

Originally Posted By: John Taylor
Superb venue, gig was awesome! I was at the front and got some decent photos and a video of Plaza, when I have time I might upload the video to youtube, is it OK to link to it on this forum?
Yup it is.everyone else does.looking forward to seeing them.

Brian

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Originally Posted By: John Taylor
Superb venue...

Really? I thought it was too small, too dark and altogether shabby.... frown

That's what I thought of the XOYO too, Martin.

T
T
Really enjoyed the 2 Gigs at XoYo.
Probably my favourite setlist for a long time.

Really liked the lighting and textures work that was going on in particular across John's face throughout...

The sound was great from was I was standing righthand side front on 25th and lefthandside front on 27th.

I've put up some of my clips from the 25th and will put up the rest of those and the clips from the 27th on monday soon as I get a chance...

Here's the link:
www.youtube.com/tokyohunter

I know there's been a few live albums already over the years but I hope one comes out of this tour, especially as the inclusion of Hannah's violin on some of the Metamatic tracks works so well that I'd really like to get an official release quality cd of them. Also He's A Liquid never sounded better, it's now so menacing! The track Interplay is a current personal favourite so was great to here it loud and through air rather than on my headphones for a change. The bass guitar is also a great inclusion to the line up.

Best support act for me over the 2 gigs was Tara , her vocals really come across well live.

The dj set being played before the acts went on I noticed the volume coming from the speakers was really high (too high) where I was standing and did see someone with their fingers over their ears during that set. Luckily by the time John Foxx came on the sound volume was perfect.

Can't wait for the Roundhouse dvd to be released now....

Last edited by Tokyohunter; 10/29/11 02:10 AM.
Just uploaded Running Man from Bristol as well as previous Leamington version.

Compare & Contrast the venue sound between Leamington & Bristol (Full equipment)

Running Man Leamington http://youtu.be/u2oqgB-jmSU

Running Man Bristol http://youtu.be/E2FdhGpIwyc

Hannah is playing more effects & you can hear them clearly.

Sound @ Bristol is boxier.

Leamington is more expansive being a hall.

Brian

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Benge has just posted his photo diary of the tour at his blog - superb selection of candid prints that tell a great story:

http://myblogitsfullofstars.blogspot.com/2011/10/maths-tour-snaps-2011.html

Saw that earlier - some great shots there. Interesting places.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.