Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
M
M
Originally Posted By: Brian
Originally Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik
Well... what a fantastic evening I had. Thoroughly entertained & ilektrified.

Tara Busch should be a superstar. She is incredible. Her performance was mesmerizing.

A great set from John & The Maths. For a first night tour gig the band played very well. A couple of mistakes here & there, but that's what live music is supposed to be about. I don't want to hear a polished performance. The live mix was really good & the trouser flapping bass made me feel like I was wearing massive flares! Especially during Tara's set.

Set List:

Sidewalk
He's A Liquid
Evergreen
No-One Driving
The Running Man
Shadow Of His Former Self
Hiroshima Mon Amour
A New Kind Of Man
Plaza
Watching A Building On Fire
Dislocation
Interplay
Catwalk
Summerland
Just For A Moment
Burning Car

encore:

The Good Shadow
Underpass

Lovely to finally meet Brian & Brigid. Also lovely to meet Rob again.

The re-introduction of electric violin into the music is something else.

I did take a few photos which i'll put on my FB page. The pics aren't too bad, but Brian's will be better.

Than you John, Benge, Hannah, Serafina, & Tara. You made the evening very special.

Nice to finally meet you too Mr I.Many Thanks for the CD.

First track was Shatterproof I'm 100% sure of that.

Brian

Yes it was. Sorry, Should've checked it before posting. Have corrected my mistake.

What an intimate venue the Assembly is! Small, with stunning art-deco features, it was a great stage for some synth pleasure. We arrived late – no sooner had we got a drink and bagged a copy of The Shape Of Things and Tara Busch was on stage. I hadn’t expected the venue to be all seating (even though it said ‘unreserved seating’ on the tickets). Even with our late arrival, we managed to get seats on the 5th row with a perfect view of the entire stage.

A few people preferred standing at the back and I’m guessing around 250 in attendance.

The audience was still and attentive during Tara’s fabulous show – it almost felt like she was performing in my living room it was so quiet and she was so close. She was brilliant.

Then John came on. After the recent London shows again it felt so close, so intimate. It was a fabulous, dynamic performance, and a superb set-list. 8 songs from Interplay! Wonderful!

Catwalk was the trigger for some brave souls to move to the front of the stage and start dancing and the numbers grew from that point on. By the time Underpass was in full swing it seemed a good portion of the audience was on their feet.

I don’t think it would be fair to compare the sound quality with that generated at the much larger Troxy – but this still sounded great.

Anyone going to the later shows – you are in for a treat!

Last edited by MikeG; 10/14/11 02:34 PM.
C
C
Originally Posted By: Brian
Rehearsal footage from #johnfoxx at The Assembly Leamington... He's a Liquid in a back to the Future moment with Violin! http://youtu.be/ewDljdoGIZA

I'm very much liking the inclusion of violin as part of this.

I can only agree with what has already been said.....a brilliant night and John was in fine voice. This is Evergreen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqEwSdrqdGY

Apart from the new CD are their any other items of merchandise for sale?

T
T
A big thumbs up for Leamington from me too. Wow. What a brill night. The Assembly is an elegant ballroom type hall, but suitably dark. And a Foxx gig has never sounded better. Some songs that I wouldn't have thought could get any better were taken into dreamland with the vintage equipment. And Hannah's violin was just superb. Highlights for me included He's A Liquid, The Shadow Of His Former Self, Dislocation, Interplay and Summerland.

And you're all going to be well pleased with The Shape Of Things. As it was sprung upon us so quickly I thought it might be a bit basic package-wise. But nothing could be further from the truth. It's another little hardback book affair similar to The Complete Cathedral Oceans, with lyrics, photos, and cool graphics from Mr Barnbrook. The music is an intriguing mix of the sort of more accessible stuff found on Interplay, short intrumentals and purposefully flawed dark n dirty numbers. Rear-View Mirror hit thee spot immediately. The bonus disc is a corker too, with only the Shatterproof remix leaving me unimpressed. And if you, like me, feel that Interplay the song somehow manages to be both perfect and achingly short at the same time, then ache no more. The extended 'Grays Out' mix is fab.

Good to meet Brigid and have a little chat. Sorry I didn't discern any other forum members - especially you Mr I - though the unexpected seating wasn't the ideal medium for mingling. And then I had to rush off at the end for my train.

Oh you lucky lucky people with shows still to attend!

Last edited by The Quiet Trees; 10/14/11 03:28 PM.
A bit more Metamatic-heavy than I was hoping. Feels a bit like it's been overdone this last few years. Underpass at the end is a curious choice. Does this work?!

T
T
Not all that much on the merch stall as far as I noticed. Besides the new album there was Interplay, Sideways and Crash And Burn, with a special offer on the latter two if you buy them both. Also two different t shirts (Interplay and The Maths, I think) and Tara Busch's album.

And this is Catwalk from Leamington Spa. It gets a bit blurry after about 30 secs, but it only lasts for 20 seconds or so. It was a brilliant performance from all on stage and they all looked like they were having fun! And can you spot yourself dancing at the front??!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17MfL4eYMQg

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Thanks for this - rare to see people dancing at the front of a Foxxy gig.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.