Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#36997 10/17/08 01:36 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
A review will follow in due course.
It's 3a.m and we got lost in Richmond.
Nearly.

Here in the meantime is the amazing set list from tonight's gig.
The show lasted just under two hours and was in more or less two halves. I am reluctant to use the word 'encore'.
There was a break too early in the set and an absence of break before the penultimate track.
I'll come back to that....

WALK THIS WAY
A MILLION CARS
DISLOCATION
THE MAN WHO DIES EVERY DAY
CAMERA
UPTOWN/DOWNTOWN
UNDERPASS
NO-ONE DRIVING
BURNING CAR
SHADOW MAN
>pause<
THE GARDEN
I TRAVEL
BROKEN FURNITURE
YOUNG SAVAGE
MY SEX 1/
MY SEX 2
ENDLESSLY
SHIFTING CITY

Various super 8 film clips expertly mixed and looped by John Leigh, on stage with the 'band' throughout the show.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#36998 10/17/08 02:18 AM
Thanks Martin, thanks a lot for posting in the early hours for us outside your timezone. Really appreciated! Just a few changes to the Japan list, so I'm sure you guys had a good time. "I Travel"??

Looking forward to more info and notes from all!

#36999 10/17/08 03:55 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
...an absence of break before the penultimate track
I'll come back to that...
ooh? I'm intrigued by that smile

Hmm, I see that Endlessly... makes it onto a gig set list yet again... :rolleyes: laugh

only joking all fan's of endlessly smile
(the version at the end of TGS remaster CD2 has really grown on me as being 'the one' I love)

#37000 10/17/08 06:11 AM
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
"I Travel"??
...thats another "cover" laugh

Thanks for briefing Martin!
Now, I hope more comes up during the day!
Photos, Clips, bring it on everybody smile

#37001 10/17/08 07:23 AM
L
L
Another spellbinding night with John, personally I don't think there is anyone else in the field who comes close to what this man is doing.

A shame there was no second encore, there were a lot of people holding out for one...can't have everything.

#37002 10/17/08 07:27 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Quote:

I TRAVEL
I don't want to confuse anyone.
This is of course just "Travel" from The Pleasures of Electricity.
Sorry about that...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#37003 10/17/08 08:07 AM
What a fantastic night. laugh laugh I was blown away. It was great to see every one. Looking forward to your review Martin.

Peter

#37004 10/17/08 09:01 AM
Quote:
I TRAVEL

I don't want to confuse anyone.
This is of course just "Travel" from The Pleasures of Electricity.
Sorry about that...
I had images of a cover of Simple Minds. That really would have been quite interesting - something I would never have thought of!

#37005 10/17/08 09:07 AM
Me too!

I'm looking forward to the review because I was still in work at 10.30 last night! mad

You have no idea how angry I am today.

Hope everyone had a great evening

#37006 10/17/08 09:38 AM
Now that's a bummer!! frown

#37007 10/17/08 10:07 AM
N
N
Spot the back of your head time . . . .

Cargo Photos

#37008 10/17/08 10:19 AM
Nice photos you got there. cool

Cheers

#37009 10/17/08 10:26 AM
Thanks for sharing your photo's of last nights gig

Gary
Gary Hunter Myspace Music Page

#37010 10/17/08 11:32 AM
F
F
Woo! You know, I've been to see John pretty much annually now since whenever that Mean Fiddler 'Pleasures of Electricty' gig was (I think I saw him THREE times last year, lol!) and last night's gig was the best one yet!

Why? Mostly cos there were 4 people on stage, all doing stuff, including Steve D'Agostino on some REAL analogue synths (a Roland System 100M modular, fact fans, and what looked like a Roland SH1 or SH2...) - this just all added an extra layer of spit, blast and sizzle to the proceedings - live music is at its best when it's live, not when a couple of blokes mime to a laptop laugh
So who was that lad at the back? He looked like John Foxx Jnr! He had a laptop and a MIDI keyboard, I dunno if he was just on visuals or was playing music too, I couldn't really see.

Louis has grown his hair into a Kevin Kegan footballer perm! laugh laugh

Frankly I think we were all getting a bit BORED before the gig finally started ... most of us had been hanging around Cargo since not long after 7, and we were let into the stage area a little after 8... but we were left to bob our heads to the DJ and watch the same 20 minute video loop in there until a quarter past 9! smile
But when the lads did finally come on, they kicked ass!

BURNING CAR, for instance, was bloody sh*t hot, if you'll pardon my French - compare it to what it sounded like when they first began all this again in 1998 - no more d*cking around with "modernizing" it, just stick to the original searing arrangement and crank it up to 11! With footage from the original video flaming on the screen behind them. Excellent.

If there was one criticism of the proceedings, I might say that sometimes the arrangements were actually *too* "turned up to 11" - they'd start the songs with Louis & Steve making the nastiest ear-shredding bowel-troubling sounds they could, and that doesn't leave much room to build for the next 4 minutes! lol They were making a very full-on racket at times smile But that's all part of the fun.

The "encore" was a bit odd - John said "goodnight"... then about 30 seconds later they came back and played for another hour! /laughs/ Most amusing.
Then when they really DID end, the audience were well up for an *actual* encore, and we had a full on slow hand clap going for a good 3 minutes, before someone obviously told the DJ to send us shuffling out.

The new song they opened with was pretty decent;
THE GARDEN was lovely (although I couldn't help giggle at a stray raspy note on the wrong sound at the beginning: "We've been waiting in the Garden - THWWWARRRP!" lol )
"YOUNG SAVAGE" was very welcome although be honest I felt it didn't quite come off - probably cos the main bit is the 'blistering' guitar riff, and that just seemed to be sequenced rather than anyone play it, which made it a bit less exciting - whilst John was a bit out-of-breath on the vocals (not that there's space to breath in all those lines, but that's the way he wrote it!) - still, cool to hear them do it.

Basically a smashing gig.

#37011 10/17/08 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by no-one driving:

Cargo Photos
nice pics--wonder if we'll get a screen thing in Marghera..

#37012 10/17/08 12:08 PM
Just got back.Shattered by going to bed late then the roar of the London traffic on Old street waking me up at 5.

What a brilliant night.Nice to meet old friends & meet some new ones.

Gary sorry you couldn't make it you must be gutted.

I have pictures & maybe some video to post later.
I took along a new HD camcorder but I think the sound being cranked up to 11 may be too much pressure on my camcorders mic.I had a quick listen before my battery gave out & the sound was distorted as hell.

A friend of mine told me that last nights show was being recorded for possible future release.Thats what the Apple G4 server was doing on the righthand side of the stage with one of the Chris's working on it.

Looking forward to this.

Listened to the new CD Impossible before I went to bed last night.I think its brilliant. cool

Cheers for posting the set list Martin so early,nice to meet you & share a sandwich run to Tesco express wink

Brian

#37013 10/17/08 12:15 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Can't argue with feline's review of events last night. Thanks for drawing attention to D-Agostino's role. Tucked away at the back it was hard to see what he was up to. It looked like a mixing desk to me, which explains my hesitation. I know little of these things.

Great to meet everyone last night (Craig, Peter, Mark, Matt, Brian, Mike, you, erm, Andres, Sarah, him, thingy - one of the best pre-gig Foxxgates I can remember. I had a great day - spend the two hours between Waterloo and Shoreditch visiting ten or so of London's beautiful historic churches, including the crypt at St Bride's and listening to a woman play a charming broken piano in the Romanian Orthodox on the Strand.

It was indeed a good gig.
But not a GREAT gig, if my 19p ASDA notepad is anything to go by.
Here's my take on it.

Short Circuits and Golden Glows

By 8.30, crowds were gathering and the venue was pretty near full. 300-350 people?
A loop of film on a large screen backdrop. Fragmented super8. Grainy and broken. Shaky and blurred. Big colour movies.

Worked well as a VJ piece with the Dubterror remixes early on, but less so when backing the Chemical Brothers, Ladytron or Siouxsie (aptly Cities in Dust) and when Kate Bush started Running Up That Hill(??) the images seemed entirely superfluous. Perhaps because some of us had watched it through four times by then...

Steve D'Agostino appeared first, closely followed by the tall, big-haired figure of John Leigh Karborn taking up a discreet position back left behind a laptop-on-a-stool. While we are all going "oooh?" and "who's that" etc, Louis Gordon bounces up stage right, unpacking the intro to "Walk This Way" for the main man to walk on waving and take up the new track's vocal.
A Million Cars kicks in straight after, bringing James Stewart and Kim Novak to the screen. They keep cropping up in scenes from Vertigo throughout, juxtaposed with clips of The Swimmer and Some Like It Hot. Lancaster and Monroe. By now the air is filled with electricity and bass - all that's missing is the rising cigarette smoke in the filmbeams.
Seamlessly we slide back in time, through scenes of Dislocation. Behind the guys on stage, the Man Who Dies Every Day walks through verdant avenues and bustling city streets.
The mood change induced by Camera (oh camera...) would have been enhanced better by some stills. Angles and frames. But instead we're taken back to where we've been before. It's becoming a little unclear where this is going, and John's new vocalisation on this track doesn't help. Careful with those 'lalalaas' Eugene... Did I cringe just then. Can't read what I wrote down at this point. Probably a good thing. The whole tone of this piece has changed from how I remember it...
Cargo is bathed in white light, bursting with incredible booming rumbles, squeaks and shivers delivered from all angles. Its a wonderful venue - the sound here tonight is better than I've heard at one of these shows for a long time. But John is oddly uncomfortable. His vocal isn't quite there. Is that a technical thing, or is he tired? Uptown/Downtown would suggest the latter. There's an awkward pause before the track starts proper, an ill-timed 'thank you' and a wave to fill the space. Reassuring nod from D'Agostino and some gesturing from Louis when Foxx comes in at the wrong time with the lyric. And I'm talking over it. Questioning the pleasure of electricity in this kind of situation.
I'm not alone. Lost and bewildered - no-one is moving?
Bring the confidence back and return to more familiar territory. Good plan. The Big Three chart singles are the perfect vehicle for this, and there is audible relief in the crowd. Now there are stills, and Mike Barker movies. Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable and Bogart smiling and waving, as cars of all ages blaze away behind them. Louis jumps, as if his keyboard too is on fire, launching in the powerhouse of Shadow Man - a full on eight minutes of ryhthm and intense activity all over the stage.
Goodnight.

Wha...?
We all know this is a 'special' extended remix of a show. Where are you going?
Oh, you're back. Already?
Perhaps there was a queue for the toilets...

Roars of approval fill The Garden. Moments of splendour cast me back to the Dominion in '83, when guitars still roamed the earth. Now there's an idea. Retro-evolution. Some have said that John and Louis need to do something else now. They have a point. Video effects stunning, but what does Karborn's presence on stage really add? Should we have automobiles and crowded streets to accompany this hymn to natural wonders? Is there a there Fender in the house?
We're eager again now though, feeling secure and confident. Walking in the places we know. But for me, this is not the time to travel for the first time. Foxx moves obliquely and effortlessly through the years, celebrating the Broken Furniture that seems to support most of the kit. Now his timing is spot on, and the setlist suits the moment. Hungry and expectant, the opening bars of Young Savage are met with almost universal pogo-ing and leaps of youthful vigour.
The words are clearly a challenge and The Man does well, but now the sound system lets him down and its a mumble rather than a scream. Its a crowd pleaser, generates a buzz and a laugh, and yet.. what... Ah well, maybe, though. I guess..." Is that so? I see... Perhaps its the people around me continually drifting to the door like dust particles. Maybe the bar is magnetic?
Shame, because they missed they highlight of the set - the fragile acrobat that is My Sex.
It came as little surprise that this shimmering icon fused into the psychedelic, technicolour light show of Endlessly. There are flowers on the ceiling. Good touch.
Now would be a great time to leave the stage. We've all being 'laaing' along (again...) and whooping wildly during the warmest and most interactive of songs in the set. We want more and more - and we need to ask for it, beg you for it. Clap our hands in rhythm with each other, stamp our feet and shout "Foxxy" with varying degrees of sincerity. Wave our hats in the air - you know the kind of thing.
Call me old-fashoned, but isn't that what encores are for?
But this is the beginning of the end. Louis plugs in the electrodes and the robotic, lumbering monster we all know and love as Shifting City fizzes and splutters onto the set. The beast emerges from its quasi-retirement, and clangs and creaks its way into the enraptured consciousness. Lights wail and images blur. John screams and D-Agostino glows in earnest - everything seems fit to burst for the last ten glorious minutes.

I have posted this review without a conclusion on purpose. Somehow, I'm not sure how I feel about it after sleep. Would I Travel so far to see the same thing again..? Those that were they have made up their own minds, and those that weren't are encouraged to catch up with Foxx as soon as they can.
Easier said than done of course. Time maybe moving towards him, but there's a wonderful feeling that it will never quite arrive

#37014 10/17/08 12:37 PM
F
F
Aye, what was that mix of Kate Bush? Is that a modern thing or did she put that mix of it out at the time? I quite enjoyed it anyways smile
They also played Add N to X.

The thing that makes me laugh a bit at all this "Super 8" footage stuff is that we're told it's all about the 'grain' and the charming limitations of the original media, but the reality is that we also get a TON of digital pixellation, slow frame rate and MPEG compression codec effects!

#37015 10/17/08 12:42 PM
F
F
Yeah - and Camera did get a bit silly at times, didn't it? (in a *bad* way) lol

I suspect what went wrong was that John's vocals were meant to be 100% "wet" (i.e. all vocoder, or Digitech Vocalist, or whatever gadget he uses), but they were actually at least 50% dry...
this meant that instead of hearing a cool electronic pitch-shifed "camera!" or "la-la-la" thing, we could hear John's untreated voice trying to drive the machine, and it just sounded a bit daft! laugh Bless.
But hey, this is live electronic music for you - one wrong knob twiddle and you're knackered smile (Quite possibly John couldn't hear himself clearly enough in the monitors to twig that the setting was wrong..... on the other hand, maybe I'm being too charitable and he *wanted* it all to sound like that lol )

#37016 10/17/08 12:54 PM
F
F
Another wee point I'll make -
and I'm sure it's something most of us have noticed in the last 10 years -
John & Louis do have a bit of a tendency to run a song round in a loop and keep on and on vamping round on it for 2 or 3 or 4 or ... extra minutes at the end.
Sometimes I think it's clear that a little judicious editing (or just ending wink would be a better idea smile
This can be particularly heightened when they start cranked up to 11 and then just stay at 11 for the 3 minute werk-out ending - they've already let off all the fireworks by then and there's only so much soaring fuzzed vibrato & portamento Louis can splurge out before it begins to lose its impact because he's doing it the whole way through smile

Plus, if they didn't extend each song to 7 minutes long, they could play twice as many tunes smile

I will also just say this, in tribute to a certain grumpy keyboard player from Huddersfield:
whilst John's set exploded with sonic pyrotechnics throughout the evening,
I have a bootleg of Ultravox doing Man Who Dies Everyday in the Marquee '78, and I have to insist: Billy Currie letting rip on a real ARP Odyssey 30 years ago indisputeably sounded better than what Steve & Louis played last night! I'm not saying their version was rubbish, in fact it pretty much kicked ass, but I still didn't hear anything to top the brain-splattering Odyssey! And in fact Warren's syn-drums weren't really bettered either smile

#37017 10/17/08 12:57 PM
Thanks for another great review Martin.

It was nice to meet up with so many of you guys last night. Such a pity you could not make it Garry.

Interesting to compare last nights excellent set-list with that on the Neuro Video CD. Only 4 tracks common to both shows! And the shows less than a year apart. I'm glad we got 8 Louis-era tracks. I think that was a fair balance against John's earlier work.

Some tracks seem to work better live than others. I think Shifting City, Endlessly, No One Driving and Burning Car fared the best. Camera probably the worst.

Overall a fantastic night smile

#37018 10/17/08 01:10 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
there were 4 people on stage, all doing stuff, including Steve D'Agostino on some REAL analogue synths...
...this just all added an extra layer of spit, blast and sizzle to the proceedings...
Glad to hear that the good old fashioned Warp power factor was engaged, just hope they had the ‘inertial dampeners on’ laugh

(Off topic for a moment, but I got the impression that the low power sound of Metamatic07 at Glasgow Barfly was due to over reliance on a ‘Memorex’ style laptop performance)

Quote:
listening to a woman play a charming broken piano in the Romanian Orthodox on the Strand
Sweet image smile

Quote:
[b]Short Circuits and Golden Glows...
John screams and D-Agostino glows in earnest - everything seems fit to burst for the last ten glorious minutes[/b]
Birdsong, your review is both painful and rewarding, it’s agony because I wasn’t there for the experience firsthand, but I’m glad to read your great account of the evening, it’s like a letter welcoming those that were absent into the memory of a happy event.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
A friend of mine told me that last nights show was being recorded for possible future release
Oh boy, I sure do hope so… smile

#37019 10/17/08 01:20 PM
F
F
Aye it was definately recorded -
there were some pairs of posh condensor mics down the front to even record the audience!

#37020 10/17/08 01:23 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Birdsong, your review is both painful and rewarding, it’s agony because I wasn’t there for the experience firsthand, but I’m glad to read your great account of the evening, it’s like a letter welcoming those that were absent into the memory of a happy event.

Thanks. Do you know what - i think that was the plan. cool

#37021 10/17/08 01:59 PM
Cheers for the excelent review Martin.

I think that's a very fair review.

There were a few other slip ups.

The start of the vocals for the Garden for example sounded like he was having problems with.

Brian

#37022 10/17/08 02:07 PM
F
F
to me quite honest, I would *rather* hear human beings make a few slip-ups here and there, than hear a laptop play the whole thing back perfectly!

#37023 10/17/08 02:48 PM
Quote:
to me quite honest, I would *rather* hear human beings make a few slip-ups here and there, than hear a laptop play the whole thing back perfectly!
True,so glad we dont have a robot John Foxx yet. smile

#37024 10/17/08 02:55 PM
There is already some good quality footage of The Man Who Dies Every Day on YouTube: -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr725xqTTfM

#37025 10/17/08 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
[b] Spot the back of your head time . . . .

Cargo Photos
nice pics--wonder if we'll get a screen thing in Marghera.. [/b]
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

#37026 10/17/08 03:28 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] to me quite honest, I would *rather* hear human beings make a few slip-ups here and there, than hear a laptop play the whole thing back perfectly!
True,so glad we dont have a robot John Foxx yet. smile [/b]
Thank goodness for that!

And many thanks for the reviews, especially feline1 and Martin. Very enjoyable! Even if the show had its flaws (and John Foxx does indeed look a bit tired or frazzled in the pics, too -- thanks for sharing those, no-one driving), it still had to be a great evening for you all. I'm trying not to be too jealous. smile

Maybe next year when I finally (?) get the chance to see John Foxx perform live all the bugs will be worked out of the equipment and the arrangements, and the vocal chords will be perfect and the words will be accurate, and the videos won't be silly, and the set list won't be same-y, but even if not, I'm sure it will still be fantastic! Now, about that North American tour . . . wink

#37027 10/17/08 03:36 PM
Many thanks for the reviews guys

And I really hope it was recorded too!

#37028 10/17/08 03:42 PM
Here are a few of my pics.

There are also a few of the pre-concert meet at the Owl & the Pussycat.Amongst the many members in the pictures you can see Boris the Robot(Phil),Birdsong(Martin),MikeG,Mark(Church Puddle),Metalbeat(Peter),Shadowman (Andreas & partner),Chris Curran & Craig & me.

Louis & Chris popped around for a quick pint before the show.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm79/mateybloke/john%20foxx%20cargo%202008/?albumview=slideshow

Enjoy.

Brian

#37029 10/17/08 03:44 PM
B
B
Just arrived back,

Enjoyed last night's gig - interesting set list,
I thought "The Garden" was fantastic, great to hear this live for the first time.

Nice to meet some more Forum folks.

I can forgive John & Louis almost any mistake, great atmosphere - and they always look as though they are having a good time.

It's great to see a few more faces on stage too, smile

Phil B.

#37030 10/17/08 04:33 PM
C
C
Quote:
Here are a few of my pics
wow, on page one there's a row of 5 pic's (end one is in the pub), the first 4 are of John on stage, two of which are B/W, these are all really fantastic smile

(edit): thanks also for these pic's 'no-one driving'
Quote:

#37031 10/17/08 04:35 PM
Cheers,I've just edited the link to point to a slideshow,gets rid of all the ads laugh

#37032 10/17/08 04:50 PM
F
F
Thanks a lot for all the reviews, pictures & movieclip so far!
Next best thing to going myself laugh

#37033 10/17/08 06:27 PM
Quote:

Cargo Photos
Ah, so that what the back of my head looks like!! wink

#37034 10/17/08 07:22 PM
I managed to work out the back of my head . I'm going a bit thin on top laugh laugh laugh

Thank you Brian and No one Driving for sharing your pic's.

I enjoyed your review Martin. It was a nice summary of the evening.

I enjoyed the whole day. I must admit I got a bit bored watching the films before John came on stage where they kept looping. It seemed a long time waiting from being allowed to enter the hall and for John to appear but when John came on stage the time flew and it was a great set list. During the encore John looked as though he was really enjoying himself.

These are my opinions only, Camera and Young Savage didn't work on the night live, and the other extreme The Garden, Travel, Burning Car and Broken Furniture outstanding.

Of the VJ set I loved the way the original video footage of Underpass was used when John did Underpass. Comparing his looks then to now. It also worked very well with Burning car. At the beginning of Endlessly burning buidings didn't work on the video.

It was nice to catch up with other Metamatic members in the Owl and Pussycat. It's nice to know that we are "real" people and not hiding behind a keyboard writing posts all the time.

Thanks to everyone involved in organising Cargo.

You were missed Garry. frown

Peter

#37035 10/17/08 07:37 PM
Saw the Show , Went home ,Went to bed ,Dreamt of GUITARS !

#37036 10/17/08 08:17 PM
C
C
Quote:
Yeah - and Camera did get a bit silly at times, didn't it?
Shame, an interesting song for them to tackle, but I can see the potential for it to go astray at a live performance. It’s a track that’s got to be ‘correct’ to be believable, maybe here there’s a good argument for a bit of 'laptop liberty taking' in the ‘is it live, or isn’t it’ presentation.

Quote:
I'm sure it's something most of us have noticed in the last 10 years -
John & Louis do have a bit of a tendency to run a song round in a loop and keep on and on vamping round on it for 2 or 3 or 4 or ... extra minutes at the end
I’ve certainly felt it in the past, there really is a moment when stylistically or emotionally something should end, as it had to also 'end' on the studio version. I know it’s a live convention to achieve an acceptable ending in real time, but a couple of times I’ve felt that John and Louis have gone just a bit beyond the climax without acknowledging that they maybe took some of the audience past it already, it works for some tracks, but not necessarily all.

Quote:
Originally posted by RobTim:
Saw the Show , Went home ,Went to bed ,Dreamt of GUITARS !
Was John in that dream? laugh If so then you should post the whole thing here:
http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000427

#37037 10/17/08 08:37 PM
No Thanks.

#37038 10/17/08 09:35 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by RobTim:
No Thanks.
Can't have been that bad surely, can it...?

#37039 10/17/08 11:08 PM
T
T
Another great gig: was that the premiere of Travel? Perhaps not. I love Travel (and indeed travel, and every gig involves a journey both literal and metaphorical). It is oddly reassuring to know that you can only plan your time to a certain extent. Some points in time are fixed: the times of trains, the time of the gig, the time of the pub pre-meet, and check-out time at the hotel. Fixed, but flexible. The rest of the time is free. Finding the places (the venue, pub, hotel, Northern line) is the requirement, but it is equally important to drift, to dwell, to look up, to find things, to get lost. The A-Z will always get you back where you need to go. Be prepared, and prepare to be unprepared.

I can’t do this like our friend Birdsong (great to see the master at work, although he should be reminded to carry a spare pen next time! wink Craig’s not made of pens you know, but he did have two in case he lost one. Very wise is Craig). Great to catch up with Birdsong, Craig, Peter, Andreas, Michaela, and to meet Phil, Brian and MikeG for the first time. There were a number of other people whom I know by face and by name but perhaps the combination went in and out of my short term memory from whenever our paths last crossed, for which I apologise. It was great to be with you all. Was that you, Gem, in the pub? Quite possibly. I am assured our Rob was there too – will catch up at Leeds hopefully. Was also lovely to see Sarah this morning in Shoreditch High Street.

I can’t write too much about the music, except that I enjoyed it all tremendously, even the Dubterror/Karborn mix of Burning Car which I have to admit worked well in this environment. It has earned itself another listen.

And the films were beautiful, nice big screen, with presumably the original Quiet Man film (stills of which are on the Quiet Men sleeve) or else a careful remake? It matters not. I could have watched these loops over and over again, and did. Thanks to earlier contributors to this thread for picking out some of the other references.

Back at the hotel, eventually, this morning, had a chance to look through the sumptuous booklets for Impossible and Neuro Video – brilliant stuff. And I played “Soul Mining” (see the “What Music Aren’t You Listening To?” thread) for the first time. Ever since I first heard the references on “Dusk”, The The and London are intertwined, so it was the obvious place to start a relationship. Or to restart a relationship.

#37040 10/18/08 06:37 AM
Cheers for the pics Brian. cool

#37041 10/18/08 07:25 AM
C
C
Cheers for the photos. It looks like it was a fantastic night. Nice choice of venue.

Chris wink

#37042 10/18/08 08:37 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:

I can’t do this like our friend Birdsong (great to see the master at work, although he should be reminded to carry a spare pen
Behave! We just write differently. :rolleyes:
I love your sense of humour, and it was great to spend at least a few minutes with you Mark. The pen is somewhere in St Paul's...

Great review too - context is so important. I chose a different approach this time

Mx

#37043 10/18/08 09:43 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
I am assured our Rob was there too – will catch up at Leeds hopefully.
Yup, I was there - apologies for not making it across to the pub... frown

Great reviews and photos - I'll try and post some of the ones I grabbed a little later on... laugh

Rob

#37044 10/18/08 12:31 PM
C
C
Quote:
every gig involves a journey both literal and metaphorical… It is oddly reassuring to know that you can only plan your time to a certain extent…. it is equally important to drift, to dwell, to look up, to find things, to get lost…

And the films were beautiful…
Really sweet review smile

#37045 10/18/08 12:39 PM
So we are back in Hamburg after we "enjoyed" the flight of Ryanair...( no comment) laugh
It was great to met you all again guys: Peter, Mark, Martin,Craig, Phil and Brian and Mike for the first time. Everytime it is a pleasure to come to these meetings. smile It was nice to say hello to Sarah,Jeff and Rob ( Thank you for not killing me by your car... laugh )

Shame you wasn't there Garry. It was a good decision for the pub - not too loud for discussions and good beer! laugh

As all the Others said - the gig was great; I can only second that! The only thing I haven't enjoyed was the , for my opinion; too long DJ session with very loud music (which wasn't my taste).

But this all was forgiven in the moment the gig began. I also enjoyed the visuals on the screen during the show. A nice idea!

So, what could John and Louis doing better?
Nothing, for my opinion - only I would prefer a real support band the next time ( Or Louis with a solo support gig???? eek )

I can assure you it was worth to came over from Hamburg for this show - and I'm curios of the next one... smile

So, now I have to start listening to my 9 piece set of CD's I took over to Hamburg...

Cheers, Andreas wink

Ah, forgot to mention: I think everyone will be happy to know that SISTER RAY is GOING ON and will not being closed!

I was there for buying some CD's and the seller in the shop told me someone bought it and they making some future plans . I 'm really glad about that!!!

So if you come to London - don't miss to go to:
www.sisterray.co.uk
34-35 Berwick St. London W1V 3RF

This is what I call a REAL record shop!! wink

#37046 10/18/08 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:
So, now I have to start listening to my 9 piece set of CD's I took over to Hamburg...

Cheers, Andreas wink

Ah, forgot to mention: I think everyone will be happy to know that SISTER RAY is GOING ON and will not being closed!

I was there for buying some CD's and the seller in the shop told me someone bought it and they making some future plans . I 'm really glad about that!!!

So if you come to London - don't miss to go to:
www.sisterray.co.uk

Good to see you again as well, Andreas.

Glad you managed to get your CD haul back to Hamburg with you safely. How much did that cost??? wink eek eek

Yeah, its good news about Sister Ray staying open. Managed to get there on the Thursday too. Its moved from the original location, but the shop is now much bigger. smile

#37047 10/18/08 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ion-ah:
Quote:
[b] So if you come to London - don't miss to go to:
www.sisterray.co.uk

Yeah, its good news about Sister Ray staying open. Managed to get there on the Thursday too. Its moved from the original location, but the shop is now much bigger. smile [/b]
It's been at it's current location for quite a while now, it used to be the Selectadisc record shop.

#37048 10/18/08 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ion-ah:
Glad you managed to get your CD haul back to Hamburg with you safely. How much did that cost??? wink eek eek [/QB]
I will have dry toast with water only the next 4 weeks.... laugh

#37049 10/18/08 03:31 PM
T
T
Great gig, great venue!
He just seems to get better every time- Burning Car sounded the best I've ever heard it.
I've put about 8 clips up on my youtube page (start of Burning Car got missed due to camera focus going wonky frown )

The new track sounded great which is a good sign for the next new album... (as did the new ones on the Impossible CD)

www.youtube.com/tokyohunter

New clips added are A Million Cars, Dislocation, Underpass, Burning Car, The Garden, Broken Furniture, My Sex 1+2.Not a great camera angle but gives an idea of what it was like on the night.

#37050 10/18/08 07:24 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Tokyohunter:
Great gig, great venue!
Thanks for posting the video link smile

I see that Blurred Girl still has the 'Bossa Nova Lounge interpretation' eek laugh (something I was going to mention in Birdsong's 'Some of them thread')

#37051 10/18/08 08:27 PM
T
T
Thanks Core Memory!
The Blurred Girl clip is from last year's gig.I haven't shuffled all the new clips to the front page yet.Sorry for the confusion.

I'm really glad they appeared to have recorded this gig.It's great to have alternate versions of favourite tracks to play.

I hope they keep using the idea of video backdrops.Vertigo works so well, as does using the old promo vids cut up.

#37052 10/18/08 09:40 PM
C
C
Quote:
The Blurred Girl clip is from last year's gig.I haven't shuffled all the new clips to the front page yet
:rolleyes: duh, of course I should have realised, and seeing as how the cargo set is on the front page of this thread! and I even commented on it laugh

aaah, 'A Bossanova Girl' metamatic07, I remember her well wink

#37053 10/18/08 11:44 PM
Thanks for sharing these on youtube. Your using the same camera i believe, as the sound and picture quality is again, some of the best homemade live vids on there.

#37054 10/19/08 12:15 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Unless anyone can testify differently, I reckon 'Travel' was played live here for the first time.

Young Savage hasn't been aired in the UK for 30 years?*

The Garden live for the first time in 25 years?*

John Leigh Karborn on stage?

Steve D playing analogue synths...

We were indeed promised a few surprises laugh

*is there really only five short years between those tracks?

#37055 10/19/08 05:42 AM
T
T
Thanks Newvox.
I'm quite surprised at how well the camera does video as it's a stills camera with the added video option.The sound though not great isn't too bad, I have the audio record setting turned down to help reduce distortion.
Youtube does reduce the quality though from the actual quicktime file the camera creates.
The only annoying bit is the focus doesn't lock in sometimes which meant I missed the start of Burning Car and once recording the zoom is disabled.I plan to upgrade for the next gigs though smile

Birdsong: I might be wrong but I'm sure he's played Travel before live.Great track.

#37056 10/19/08 05:55 AM
Cheers for posting Tokyhunter.

Nice vids.

I recently bought a HD camcorder which I took along.

I recorded all of the rare stuff.Video looks fantastic but the sound is so distorted it sounds terrible. frown

I may post one of the least distorted ones later.

Brian

#37057 10/19/08 10:10 AM
Thank you everyone for all your great reviews of the show, including all the links to photos & videos - especially thank you to Tokyohunter. laugh

I love the film footage that John has on the screen during his songs. laugh

Glad everyone enjoyed the show, would have loved to have been there. laugh

#37058 10/19/08 12:49 PM
F
F
So sorry if I'm being thick here -
but is Mr "Karborn" (John Leigh) actually John Foxx's (i.e. Dennis Leigh's) son?

Cos he *looks* like John Foxx Jnr!

And "Karborn" appears to be just his "stage name" (although maybe his mum *didn't* get to the hospital in time! smile

#37059 10/19/08 12:51 PM
Quote:
So sorry if I'm being thick here -
but is Mr "Karborn" (John Leigh) actually John Foxx's (i.e. Dennis Leigh's) son?

Yes. wink

#37060 10/19/08 12:53 PM
V
V
http://www.youtube.com/user/vs303
Enjoy laugh
More to follow!

#37061 10/19/08 01:00 PM
F
F
Quote:
Quote:
[b] So sorry if I'm being thick here -

Yes. wink [/b]
Ah I see. Cool smile
(Also placates my "how did that young whippersnapper get to be in John Foxx's band!?" jealousy lol smile

#37062 10/19/08 01:09 PM
C
C
Quote:
Not wishing to go wildly off topic here folks, please excuse, but round the release of IMW in '85, John popped up on a local radio station in the Fylde area, and during the interview I'm sure I can remember him saying he had become a father with a little daughter, or maybe my brain just needs washing out eek

#37063 10/19/08 01:13 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
'Karborn' is the name John Leigh uses to produce his amazing digital art and VJ pieces.

http://www.karborn.com

He's a REALLY talented artist, and his stuff really hits a spot with me.

My understanding is that he wasn't playing anything at Cargo in the way of music, but instead mixing, live, two or three film pieces via an Apple ibook.

#37064 10/19/08 02:40 PM
F
F
I couldn't really see what John Lee was doing with his hands during the gig,
but when I took a look at his "rig" afterwards, he did have a MIDI keyboard, so surely he was playing something? You wouldn't need that for video...?
From his gestures during some songs, he also seemed to be doing stuff in-time-to-the-music more often than would be required for the video...
Dunno though!

#37065 10/19/08 03:58 PM
VJs use MIDI keyboards to control video clips, with clips mapped to keys in order to make composition on-the-fly simpler. Rather than having to select clips using a mouse which is too time-consuming for live shows, VJs can pull up clips in an instant when they are linked like this to a MIDI keyboard.

John Leigh's visuals were nice, but could perhaps have been more imaginative and varied.

Amazing gig. Fantastic.

mongrel

#37066 10/19/08 04:47 PM
Now, steady on, don't keel over, yes - I'm here again after a long absence!!!!

The gig was FANTASTIC!!!! It was so lovely to see all of you again. Peter, Andreas and Michaela spotted Mark and I as we were just about to have a nosey in the Yamaha bike shop on Shoreditch High Street a few hours before the gig! And it was nice to bump into Mr Church Puddle the morning after, as we were all making our way back to stations!

Had a nice little chat with John, Louis and John Leigh after the gig too.

For those who were there, it was a real treat, and for those who couldn't make it, it was a great shame for you frown

Next stop Leeds...I'm sure we'll all be entertained by Mr Foxx yet again, and I'm looking forward to seeing you there.

Take care all...

Sarah x laugh

#37067 10/19/08 05:46 PM
M
M
A warm ilektrik welcome back, Miss 74. wink

#37068 10/19/08 08:24 PM
Welcome back Sarah laugh ,

Nice to see you in the pub before the gig.

See you at Leeds.

Brian

#37069 10/19/08 09:32 PM
It's nice to see you back Sarah and it was nice to see you on Thursday.

Just booked my train tickets for the Leeds concert. A good Metamatic member has let me stay at his house. I hope I don't wear his yellow kettle out laugh laugh laugh . It will be a good chance to meet up again.

Peter

#37070 10/19/08 10:05 PM
T
T
Vs303: Fantastic footage!!!!
Picture quality is stunning and audio is very clear.Good camera work too, you have a steady hand there.
Which camera/camcorder are you using?
(I need to upgrade!!!)
I recommend everyone check out VS303's clips from Cargo-The Garden and Burning Car.
Which other ones did you record?

#37071 10/20/08 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Bradshaw:
Now, steady on, don't keel over, yes - I'm here again after a long absence!!!!

For those who were there, it was a real treat, and for those who couldn't make it, it was a great shame for you frown

Sarah x laugh
Hi Sarah! Welcome back! xxx

Yes sadly I couldn't make this years Metamatic Dusty Springfield Appreciation Society AGM wink hope you made notes! laugh

#37072 10/20/08 09:06 PM
V
V
Quote:
Vs303: Fantastic footage!!!!
Picture quality is stunning and audio is very clear.Good camera work too, you have a steady hand there.
Which camera/camcorder are you using?
(I need to upgrade!!!)
I recommend everyone check out VS303's clips from Cargo-The Garden and Burning Car.
Which other ones did you record?
Cheers! I'm glad you like them.
The camcorder I'm using is a Sony DCR-HC94 with the ECM-HST1 microphone.(HD upgrade next year - I hope)
I did record the whole gig but I got caught out by the short break in the middle and I didn't get chance to change tapes ( I ended up doing that between My Sex parts 1 & 2 )
I'll be posting more very soon, so watch this space wink

#37073 10/20/08 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VS303:
Enjoy laugh
More to follow!
Excellent stuff. Thanks much for sharing.

#37074 10/20/08 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
Originally posted by VS303:
[b] http://www.youtube.com/user/vs303
Enjoy laugh
More to follow!
Excellent stuff. Thanks much for sharing. [/b]
yes, thanks for this. Not sure how i missed it. confused

#37075 10/20/08 09:46 PM
Here's one from me.Walk this way.Sorry about the sound.Taken from a different angle than the others with the full intro.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vD1lPVZrcqA

Brian

#37076 10/20/08 10:07 PM
Thanks Brian, great as always. smile

#37077 10/20/08 10:34 PM
Yes, Brian, thanks much.

#37078 10/20/08 11:51 PM
It would be interesting to know if anyones tried these new memory flash / card camcorders at Johns gigs, and what type of quality they produce under concert conditions.

#37079 10/21/08 12:10 AM
Mine was a 16Gb memory card HD camcorder.
Picture was fine.Camera mike was unable to cope with bass.There is a wind muffle mode which may have made it better but i had no way of monitoring.

#37080 10/21/08 07:14 AM
Thanks to everyone for the videos and photos. Those of us who couldn't be there truly do appreciate it!

#37081 10/21/08 07:16 AM
Thanks brian. I don't recall having that noisy intro at Marghera ...

#37082 10/21/08 09:36 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Quote:
Thanks brian. I don't recall having that noisy intro at Marghera ...
I suspect the difference is due to the absence of Steve D and his analogue gear in Venice. At Cargo, Steve (and Karborn) were on stage first, so I imagine he played these sounds.

Sorry if this is badly put from a technical point of view. But (as felinedescribed far more competently than I can) the analogue gear gave the set a rawness and extra layer of sound which - I imagine - would not have been present with 'just' John and Louis playing? So you got 'different' versions than we did - which I look forward to hearing!

#37083 10/21/08 10:03 AM
Fair enough ..thanks for the explanation. I 'm no techie but I suppose it makes sense.

#37084 10/21/08 02:32 PM
Quote:
Mine was a 16Gb memory card HD camcorder.
Picture was fine.
Thanks Brian. Only they do say about visual noise due to some cards unable to compress the data. I have one ready for the Nash gig, maybe gigs soon.

#37085 10/21/08 03:44 PM
I do see compression artefacts when viewed on an HDon TV so I may look into another model later.

#37086 10/21/08 05:52 PM
F
F
maybe all the tapers can get together and cut a fanmade video? laugh

#37087 10/30/08 07:01 PM
Have any recordings of Travel surfaced?

#37088 10/30/08 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Have any recordings of [b]Travel surfaced? [/b]
I'm hopefully there comes a Live CD one day - I saw some audience microphones in front of the stage... wink

#37089 10/31/08 11:17 AM
As I never got to enjoy the event myself (Dear Workplace; I have your names, and when the revolution comes you will be the first against the wall. Love and kisses Gazza xxx) - did you all get to the Owl & Pussycat? Was it a good meeting place and worth meeting again if Foxx does another gig there?

I really hope a recording of the night is released, I really want to hear Young Savage (among others) and the analogue that Steve D'Agostino added.

#37090 10/31/08 12:20 PM
Hi Gary,

We did enjoy the Owl & pussycat.The beer was good.

The only thing wrong was all of the seats had been ripped up.Looks like someone had knifed them.

Apart from that we found a table where we could seat 10 people so it was good from that point of view.

I have Young Savage on video but the sound is a bit too distorted. frown

Brian

#37091 10/31/08 12:53 PM
I would propose the 'Owl' as an official JF 'site' ...judging by the style... wink

#37092 10/31/08 02:54 PM
Quote:
Hi Gary,

We did enjoy the Owl & pussycat.The beer was good.

The only thing wrong was all of the seats had been ripped up.Looks like someone had knifed them.

Brian
Cheers Brian,

Ripped seats? I think Member D is right! All that's needed is ha!-ha!-ha! and Young Savage on the jukebox and it's the perfect venue!

#37093 10/31/08 07:30 PM
The Owl and Pussycat was a great meeting place. It was nice to able to chat with fellow JF fans without the distraction of loud music in the background. OK it's not the sort of place I'd take a girlfriend to, with the ripped seats. Mr Happy behind the bar was a bundle of joy ( you remember him Brian laugh ) .

Not being a drinker, but the beer did look good, Yes I would certainly go in there again for another JF re-union. Thank you Garry for finding the pub.

Peter smile

#37094 11/02/08 09:17 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
And of course, its just a few hundred metres from The Garden...

http://www.miloco.co.uk/studios/garden.php

Perfect cool

I was sceptical when i first walked past the pub about 4pm, but serves me right for judging by appearances. Good choice, and I'd vote for using it again

#37095 11/05/08 07:09 AM
One more video from that night:-

Complete My Sex

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qnacyJb2FdE

Brian

#37096 11/05/08 11:03 AM
Quote:
One more video from that night:-

Complete My Sex

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qnacyJb2FdE

Brian
Nice one, matey wink

#37097 12/11/08 12:40 PM
Announcement on MySpace

Quote:
Plan B Magazine

A full page live review of John's show at Cargo, London this autumn is in the new December edition of Plan B magazine - issue 40, page 55.
anyone got it?

#37098 12/11/08 04:44 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Thanks for this.

The issue also features Anthony and the Johnsons, which can't be bad cool

#37099 12/11/08 05:28 PM
Excellent clip of the 'My Sex' track, Brian. smile

#37100 12/11/08 10:24 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Incidentally - and this is a shameless plug -

Anthony and the Johnsons third album The Crying Light is released on January 21st 2009.

It includes the stunning single Another World and looks set to kick off our Best Album of 2009 thread before we even have time to draw breath cool

#37101 12/15/08 08:43 PM
T
T
Quote:
Announcement on MySpace

Quote:
Plan B Magazine

A full page live review of John's show at Cargo, London this autumn is in the new December edition of Plan B magazine - issue 40, page 55.
anyone got it?
I have now, cheers! If I may be pedantic, it is closer to 3/4 of a page. Nice pic. wink

#37102 09/26/09 09:57 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
[b] Have any recordings of [b]Travel surfaced? [/b]
I'm hopefully there comes a Live CD one day - I saw some audience microphones in front of the stage... wink [/b]
To hold the discussion alive... laugh
I'm curios if we can enjoy a live CD about this great show in the not too far future.
If I remember tracks like Walk This Way, Travel, Young Savage or the Garden - it would be great to have them on a live CD!!
Perhaps this would be a nice release for the next year???! ( Followed by a live show of John & Louis... wink )

#37103 03/01/11 11:00 PM
Tony M2 has recently finished editing together My Sex from Cargo 2008 with re-mastered sound.

It contains some of my footage and some from a few others.

Nice job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RmsxxWx6ZE

#37104 03/01/11 11:24 PM
M
M
Excellent! Although it's not as good as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ISv9CnZnE&feature=related

I like the bit where it sounds like it's being sung by the Sweedy chef from The Muppets. Very cool

#37105 03/02/11 12:06 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Excellent! Although it's not as good as this.
Jeebus, soundz like it wiz recordud jus doon tha rowd fae me :rolleyes:

#37106 03/02/11 01:25 PM
V
V
I'm slowly revisiting my recordings of the Cargo show and adding/updating all to HD.

Enjoy smile

#37107 03/14/11 01:14 PM
Quote:
Tony M2 has recently finished editing together My Sex from Cargo 2008 with re-mastered sound.

Nice job.

Blimey! That's really well put together! Cheers!

#37108 04/05/11 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
[b] Tony M2 has recently finished editing together My Sex from Cargo 2008 with re-mastered sound.

Nice job.

Blimey! That's really well put together! Cheers! [/b]
Yes! cool

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.