Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
#37037 10/17/08 08:37 PM
No Thanks.

#37038 10/17/08 09:35 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by RobTim:
No Thanks.
Can't have been that bad surely, can it...?

#37039 10/17/08 11:08 PM
T
T
Another great gig: was that the premiere of Travel? Perhaps not. I love Travel (and indeed travel, and every gig involves a journey both literal and metaphorical). It is oddly reassuring to know that you can only plan your time to a certain extent. Some points in time are fixed: the times of trains, the time of the gig, the time of the pub pre-meet, and check-out time at the hotel. Fixed, but flexible. The rest of the time is free. Finding the places (the venue, pub, hotel, Northern line) is the requirement, but it is equally important to drift, to dwell, to look up, to find things, to get lost. The A-Z will always get you back where you need to go. Be prepared, and prepare to be unprepared.

I can’t do this like our friend Birdsong (great to see the master at work, although he should be reminded to carry a spare pen next time! wink Craig’s not made of pens you know, but he did have two in case he lost one. Very wise is Craig). Great to catch up with Birdsong, Craig, Peter, Andreas, Michaela, and to meet Phil, Brian and MikeG for the first time. There were a number of other people whom I know by face and by name but perhaps the combination went in and out of my short term memory from whenever our paths last crossed, for which I apologise. It was great to be with you all. Was that you, Gem, in the pub? Quite possibly. I am assured our Rob was there too – will catch up at Leeds hopefully. Was also lovely to see Sarah this morning in Shoreditch High Street.

I can’t write too much about the music, except that I enjoyed it all tremendously, even the Dubterror/Karborn mix of Burning Car which I have to admit worked well in this environment. It has earned itself another listen.

And the films were beautiful, nice big screen, with presumably the original Quiet Man film (stills of which are on the Quiet Men sleeve) or else a careful remake? It matters not. I could have watched these loops over and over again, and did. Thanks to earlier contributors to this thread for picking out some of the other references.

Back at the hotel, eventually, this morning, had a chance to look through the sumptuous booklets for Impossible and Neuro Video – brilliant stuff. And I played “Soul Mining” (see the “What Music Aren’t You Listening To?” thread) for the first time. Ever since I first heard the references on “Dusk”, The The and London are intertwined, so it was the obvious place to start a relationship. Or to restart a relationship.

#37040 10/18/08 06:37 AM
Cheers for the pics Brian. cool

#37041 10/18/08 07:25 AM
C
C
Cheers for the photos. It looks like it was a fantastic night. Nice choice of venue.

Chris wink

#37042 10/18/08 08:37 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:

I can’t do this like our friend Birdsong (great to see the master at work, although he should be reminded to carry a spare pen
Behave! We just write differently. :rolleyes:
I love your sense of humour, and it was great to spend at least a few minutes with you Mark. The pen is somewhere in St Paul's...

Great review too - context is so important. I chose a different approach this time

Mx

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#37043 10/18/08 09:43 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
I am assured our Rob was there too – will catch up at Leeds hopefully.
Yup, I was there - apologies for not making it across to the pub... frown

Great reviews and photos - I'll try and post some of the ones I grabbed a little later on... laugh

Rob

#37044 10/18/08 12:31 PM
C
C
Quote:
every gig involves a journey both literal and metaphorical… It is oddly reassuring to know that you can only plan your time to a certain extent…. it is equally important to drift, to dwell, to look up, to find things, to get lost…

And the films were beautiful…
Really sweet review smile

#37045 10/18/08 12:39 PM
So we are back in Hamburg after we "enjoyed" the flight of Ryanair...( no comment) laugh
It was great to met you all again guys: Peter, Mark, Martin,Craig, Phil and Brian and Mike for the first time. Everytime it is a pleasure to come to these meetings. smile It was nice to say hello to Sarah,Jeff and Rob ( Thank you for not killing me by your car... laugh )

Shame you wasn't there Garry. It was a good decision for the pub - not too loud for discussions and good beer! laugh

As all the Others said - the gig was great; I can only second that! The only thing I haven't enjoyed was the , for my opinion; too long DJ session with very loud music (which wasn't my taste).

But this all was forgiven in the moment the gig began. I also enjoyed the visuals on the screen during the show. A nice idea!

So, what could John and Louis doing better?
Nothing, for my opinion - only I would prefer a real support band the next time ( Or Louis with a solo support gig???? eek )

I can assure you it was worth to came over from Hamburg for this show - and I'm curios of the next one... smile

So, now I have to start listening to my 9 piece set of CD's I took over to Hamburg...

Cheers, Andreas wink

Ah, forgot to mention: I think everyone will be happy to know that SISTER RAY is GOING ON and will not being closed!

I was there for buying some CD's and the seller in the shop told me someone bought it and they making some future plans . I 'm really glad about that!!!

So if you come to London - don't miss to go to:
www.sisterray.co.uk
34-35 Berwick St. London W1V 3RF

This is what I call a REAL record shop!! wink

#37046 10/18/08 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:
So, now I have to start listening to my 9 piece set of CD's I took over to Hamburg...

Cheers, Andreas wink

Ah, forgot to mention: I think everyone will be happy to know that SISTER RAY is GOING ON and will not being closed!

I was there for buying some CD's and the seller in the shop told me someone bought it and they making some future plans . I 'm really glad about that!!!

So if you come to London - don't miss to go to:
www.sisterray.co.uk
34-35 Berwick St. London W1V 3RF

This is what I call a REAL record shop!! wink
Good to see you again as well, Andreas.

Glad you managed to get your CD haul back to Hamburg with you safely. How much did that cost??? wink eek eek

Yeah, its good news about Sister Ray staying open. Managed to get there on the Thursday too. Its moved from the original location, but the shop is now much bigger. smile

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.