Metamatic
John Foxx (Analogue Show) with Gary Numan (DJ Set) and special guests...

Saturday the 5th of June, 2010...

The Roundhouse launched its festival of electronica, Short Circuit, last year with a line-up including Jeff Mills, Erol Alkan, Holger Czukay (Can), Gavin Bryars and The BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

The first acts of Short Circuit 2010 are now announced: an evening celebrating the best of British electronic music, headlined and curated by John Foxx.

Following a DJ set by one of the UK's most influential electronic artists, Gary Numan with co-producer Ade Fenton, John Foxx will perform a unique analogue synthesizer show to mark his thirtieth anniversary as a solo artist. The founder of Britain's first synthesizer rock band Ultravox, released his debut solo album Metamatic in early 1980. This dark electro classic is one of the few albums to be acknowledged by Aphex Twin as an inspiration and is described by the Klaxons as a visionary record.

Foxx and a one-off group of special guests will assemble on stage for the first time with the machines he used on that album - the Moogs, ARPs and drum machines that created the sound of the future - to perform material from Metamatic and a selection of early Ultravox music.

The set will also include brand new material created in collaboration with Paul Daley from Leftfield, along with new songs by John Foxx & The Maths - an all-analogue synthesizer project with London-based artist Benge, whose work has been described by Brian Eno as a brilliant contribution to the archeology of electronic music. Benge's London studio houses one of the biggest collections of analogue synthesizers in the UK and was heavily featured in last Autumn's BBC documentary, Synth Britannia. Gary Numan was filmed at the studio for a recent interview where he discusses the impact that John Foxx had on his own music.

Earlier in the day there will be a series of events programmed by Foxx. These will include movies, DJs, VJs, his own new collaborations with various film-makers and a Super 8 project he's currently working on with London Orbital author, Iain Sinclair.

Further information about this event, including details of some more special guests, will be announced soon...

Date : Saturday the 5th of June, 2010.
Web : http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/
Tickets : http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/john-foxx-4616
Address : Roundhouse, Chalk Farm Road, London NW1 8EH
Telephone : 0844 482 8008

Rob
Brilliant news. Can't wait to get my ticket tomorrow. The new Best of sounds good too. Hope there is some Mike Barker live video on the DVD as well as the early stuff. I personally would like John to perform with Louis as it has been a while now. Still Brilliant news and am looking forward to it.
i nearly wet myself from joy on this one! laugh
Well, looks like I'll be skipping my cousin's wedding and heading to the UK for this one!
I sure hope this event is recorded by somebody. Preferably officially.
Flippin eck cool

The one time I didnt check here before I went to bed & this happens.

Fantastic.

I know the Roundhouse well from last years Ultravox gig.I will be there. laugh

Brian
This is going to be the event of the year.

I'm so excited I could kiss a blurred girl through smoke. smile
and I was just thinking this morning, 40 days into 2010 and still nothing new from the Foxx camp...

Short Circuit . .Metatronic..sounds good
Ticket acquired laugh

Foxxgate in the pub down the road again anyone?

I will have to look up what it was called over on EV
Fantastic, I had to read it twice to believe it!

After all the posts about Metamatic's 30th, John and Gary, this is something not to miss! but it's highly unlikely I'll be there myself frown
so as Steve Roby say's, I hope a professional video recording might get made of the evening for everyone to enjoy... smile
The pub we used last year was called the Lock Tavern,Chalk Farm Road.

I'll start another thread for this
Got my ticket. Roll round the 5th June

Peter wink wink
C'MOOOOON! METASTOCK it is then!!!! laugh

THAT'S MASSIVE NEWS! It's like having my brain smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. smile
IT'S NOT EASY TO SEE HOW MUCH THE TICKETS ARE AT THE ROUNDHOUSE BOOKING SITE

THEY ARE £27.50
The following is a quote from John about Gary Numan's involvement in the forthcoming event at The Roundhouse ...

"It's typically generous of Gary to agree to take part in this event," says John Foxx, following the announcement that Gary Numan and Ade Fenton will be performing a DJ set at the 30th anniversary Roundhouse show in London on Saturday the 5th of June, 2010.

"I've always had immense respect for everything Gary achieved and the very independent way he went about it. I also think he's a true star - a genuine instinctive artist capable of connecting across several generations. You see, it takes time to tell if you can affect anything beyond your own generation. Most bands and most music will fade fairly quickly, but the more interesting stuff will take time to be seen. It's a far longer game than most realise. Gary's entire career has proved itself through that test of time. It's even more relevant now than when he began. A very rare thing."

Rob
This is the news I have waited for...!

We will be there!!! smile smile smile
This show sounds fantastic - John Foxx, Gary Numan & Ade Fenton + new material - but I'm in Greece mad frown mad frown mad mad frown
Quote:
Originally stated by John Foxx:
It's even more relevant now than when he began. A very rare thing.
And so say all of us.
Here's to you, John - Happy Anniversary!
Ticket's booked and just before my birthday too!
This sounds absolutely fantastic...Really looking forward to catching up with all of you in June! laugh
Bought my ticket. laugh
Ohhhhh.... Can I get there and back in a weekend? This is going to be a challenge!
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
Ohhhhh.... Can I get there and back in a weekend? This is going to be a challenge!
A challenge and a half... laugh

Rob
No kidding.I did my trip Monday-Friday.

Left me feeling shattered for weeks.

Good luck.

I think it needs to be done though. laugh

Brian
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
The following is a quote from [b]John about Gary Numan's involvement in the forthcoming event at The Roundhouse ...

"It's typically generous of Gary to agree to take part in this event," says John Foxx, following the announcement that Gary Numan and Ade Fenton will be performing a DJ set at the 30th anniversary Roundhouse show in London on Saturday the 5th of June, 2010.

"I've always had immense respect for everything Gary achieved and the very independent way he went about it. I also think he's a true star - a genuine instinctive artist capable of connecting across several generations. You see, it takes time to tell if you can affect anything beyond your own generation. Most bands and most music will fade fairly quickly, but the more interesting stuff will take time to be seen. It's a far longer game than most realise. Gary's entire career has proved itself through that test of time. It's even more relevant now than when he began. A very rare thing."

Rob [/b]
That's a lovely comment from John. cool
Agrred. It's great!

incidentally, will we see you at The Roundhouse Alex?

It would be good to meet up at last
Tickets booked! laugh smile wink
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
C'MOOOOON! [b]METASTOCK...[/b]
laugh
hope everyone going remembers to pack their analogue sunshades, binary beads, and electroponcho’s…

Quote:
"It's typically generous of [b]Gary to agree to take part in this event," says John Foxx... "I've always had immense respect for everything Gary achieved and the very independent way he went about it...[/b]
Johns comments about Gary are quite beautiful, I can see the seeds of a potential 'Bromance' developing there! laugh smile
Thought’s of this event have been going round and around in my head this last week, and even if Gary is only DJing and not actually performing its still a great guest spot, with two icons of electronic genius in the same place at the same time surely tickets for this gig have got to sell-out.
John and Gary at the one gig? I definitely would've paid to see that - if I could... frown
Fantastic news - really looking forward to this gig.

smile
I,m a big Gary Numan fan, so it,s a bonus he is djing,But i have waited a long time to see john live can,t wait ticket purchased laugh
Nice cool

Wouldn't it be ace if there were posters of the above to buy at the show?

BIG HINT. wink
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:

BIG HINT. wink
Oh, yes!!! I want one!! smile
--------------------------------------------------- wink
I am signing up too laugh
Love the poster and the Analogue title. cool cool
that would make a great poster,its a great image. laugh
Um, I thought this was a really boring poster when I first saw it on this thread, just cutting up the Metatronic cover into 4 slices, too easy, and not so great.

But I've come to like it now, and I'm thinking that chopping up one thing and copying it into duplicates does seem quite 'old school' in that analogue way of re-recording or physically splicing a tape up. Yeah, I agree, as a poster it would make a good souvenir of the Roundhouse event.
thats why the poster is so good,it fits in so well with the show.
Video.
laugh laugh laugh
Quote:
Johns comments about Gary are quite beautiful, I can see the seeds of a potential 'Bromance' developing there! laugh smile
Hmm. Numan singing "Underpass". Interesting thought.
Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
Quote:
[b]Johns comments about Gary are quite beautiful, I can see the seeds of a potential 'Bromance' developing there! laugh smile
Hmm. Numan singing "Underpass". Interesting thought. [/b]
that would be magic if not underpass, love to hear Gary do an Ultravox track. laugh
I've got my receipt to pick the ticket up from the box office on the day. laugh

It is a perfectly good, linear image and when I have MY POSTER COPY OF IT I will be proud to show it off which will surely PROMOTE JOHN'S SALES. Ahem.

Is everyone else here having this recurring nightly fantasy, where they are watching a certain person singing, and a certain other man appears, and joins them???????????????????????????? cool
Latest Myspace blog posting:-

IAIN SINCLAIR, JORI HULKKONEN & MARK JONES (BACK TO THE PHUTURE)
We're very happy to announce that London Orbital author Iain Sinclair - http://www.iainsinclair.org.uk/ - will be making an early evening appearance at John Foxx's ''Short Circuit'' Roundhouse show on 5 June. This will be part of a late afternoon/early evening programme of films, music and discussions.

Finnish electronic artist Jori Hulkkonen - www.jorihulkkonen.com - who has recorded two singles with John - 'Dislocated' and 'Never Been Here Before' - is now confirmed as a DJ in the main area, along with the already announced Gary Numan & Ade Fenton.

Meanwhile after John Foxx's own performance, the lights and set will stay in place and Mark Jones - who recently interviewed John for his BBC 6 Music show - will round off the event with a ''Back To The Phuture'' DJ set, celebrating the best in electronic music - past, present and future -

http://backtothephuture.net/news/2010/03/backtothephuture-short-circuit-2010.php
Quote:

BIG HINT. wink
Yep, it looks good and would look great on the wall next to my Australian tour poster.
I want one too ... wink
Damn damn damn my girlfriend got a holiday ban in June, can't come. :-((
Robin Simon is playing guitar!!! WOOO! laugh
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
Robin Simon is playing guitar!!! WOOO! laugh
All we need now is Billy,Chris and Warren for a full house.I know I can dream laugh
Fantastic news about Robin!!

Roll on 5th June!! smile
I completely missed the bit about Robin in the mailout. Perhaps I'd better learn not to speed read.

Great stuff, this makes June 5th now compulsory! I play The Golden Section Tour CD quite a lot and Robin's contributions are always a highlight. I should upgrade to In The Glow, I know ...
Latest Myspace Blogpost:-

We're very happy to annnounce that Robin Simon is confirmed as a special guest at John's Roundhouse show in London on 5 June.

The former Ultravox guitarist will be performing on a selection of material including songs from the band's pioneering 1978 album, Systems of Romance.
Now then...

While I think this is FANTASTIC news and look forward to the event, I can't help thinking -

I hope there are some surprises left!

The trouble with tinternet and today's access to and availability of up-to-the minute news is that we expect to know everything too quickly and feel aggrevieved if things are not made known to us.

I feel the same about album tracklistings, sound 'design' etc etc...

Where has the suspense, mystery and - possibly - interest - gone?

Sorry if that's controversial, but I hope you get where I'm coming from :rolleyes:
Although I do feel for what you are saying (or what I believe I think you are saying smile ), I think we are going to witness an awful lot more than what is being written. What we are seeing are just ingredients and only the "chef" can make this into something we can truly enjoy. My apetite is truly wheted (sp?).

There is so much we can potentially take from the event, I only hope we can give back in some form. I have to think of how that can be achieved.

If I have any wish, it would be to ensure that the event is captured on video. Criminal not to do so!!
....I only hope that volcanos behave themselves that weekend!
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Now then...

While I think this is [b]FANTASTIC
news and look forward to the event, I can't help thinking - I hope there are some surprises left!
…Where has the suspense, mystery and - possibly - interest - gone?
Sorry if that's controversial, but I hope you get where I'm coming from :rolleyes: [/b]
I totally do, I really hate it when you’re sitting in the cinema and an overdone trailer shows too much of a forthcoming movie that you’re eager to go see, but the forum is at the end of the day a fun club where speculation and expectation are pretty healthy factors, and influence from enthusiasm and opinion is hard to resist, it’s ultimately all good for the artist smile

Travel plan’s all sorted and booked, just waiting for my Roundhouse ticket now! having overcome my extreme reluctance to return to my former hometown of London after a 12 year gap, the thought of missing such a rare and interesting event and show was just too much to bear laugh
As much as the show itself, I look forward to meeting YOU there... cool
I hope this event is recorded properly. I'd especially like to hear the Foxx/Robin Simon stuff.
I know it's not always the norm but at some of the gigs there's sometimes been a limited CD release of some sort - does anyone know if that's the case at this event?

POLITE NOTICE! I'm just asking!!!! I don't suspect for one minute that such a release exists, or that Rob knows of one!

I think I'm just hoping there will be one - that's all! laugh
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Latest Myspace Blogpost:-

We're very happy to annnounce that Robin Simon is confirmed as a special guest at John's Roundhouse show in London on 5 June.

The former Ultravox guitarist will be performing on a selection of material including songs from the band's pioneering 1978 album, Systems of Romance.
including songs from SoR.

Great - that means there'll be others.

Let's hear an IMW track then.
Go on, I dare you... there'll never have to be another time :p

(someone pack an acoustic guitar for mr foxx.
must qualify as 'analogue' surely?)
Seen the latest blog post?
It's an list of all the analogue gear to be used at the event.

Synthesizers and Sequencers...
ARP Odyssey x 2
ARP Sequencers x 2
Crumar Multiman
EDP Wasp
Korg MonoPoly
Korg 700
Logan String Machine
Moog Mini x 2
Moog Modular plus Sequencers
Moog Opus 3
Roland Modular System 100m x 10 Modules
Roland SH2
Roland SH-101
Roland Juno 60
Sequential Circuits Multitrack

Drum Machines...
Amdek Percussion Synthesizer
Boss Dr Rhythm
Linn Drum
Klone Drum
Roland CR78
Roland TR808

Effects & Processors...
Boss Chorus
Boss Flanger
Boss Phaser
Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress Flanger
Furman Spring Reverb
Ibanez AD80 Analog Delay
Maestro PS-1 Phase Shifter
Mu-tron Phasor
MXR Phase 100
Roland Space Echo RE-201

WOW!
An interview with John, regarding the forthcoming show at The Roundhouse, has just been posted on the BBC 's website...

Rob
Quote:
An interview with John, regarding the forthcoming show at The Roundhouse, has just been posted on the BBC 's website...

Rob
Thanks, Robin. Excitement building... laugh
A nice interview. Cannot wait until 5th June... :rolleyes:

Thank you for the link Rob! smile
From the BBC article:

"With modern speakers, you can suddenly hear all that power for the first time," enthuses the Ultravox founder and electro-pop pioneer.

"They are eminently capable of producing trouser-flapping bass and enough top to take the roof off St Paul's."

I'll have a pair of those then.
Quote:
"They are eminently capable of producing trouser-flapping bass and enough top to take the roof off St Paul's."

That I'd love to hear!
That's what I call equipment. A treasure trove!

Chris wink

PS A Wasp? On which track?
maybe on something new wink
"...to capture the spirit of a concert he attended as an impressionable 15 year-old in 1967." .. gotcha! laugh
"There's a great surge of interest in electronic music. I don't know why that's happened, but it's fortunate for me because I did it a long time ago,"

laugh
...I'd rather have been born in 1980 and be in a position to play with this stuff now."
no please! no!
To capture the spirit of the concert, I am going to attend 'Short Circuit' disguised/repurposed as an impressionable 15 year old, complete with spot cream, half-inched copy of 'Playboy' (circa 1978 with Joan Collins on the front) and a bag of gob stoppers. Hand made catapult may be optional.
Woo-hoo it's Friday!
Cheers
I'm planning to make a day of it:-

If you’re in or around London from 29th May to 18th July you should definitely check out a new William S. Burroughs exhibition: Dead Fingers Talk: The Tape Experiments of William S. Burroughs and responses from 23 other artists at IMT Gallery in Cambridge Heath Road

or is that too far out/far away?

Will also call in at Kirkoriginals for Mirrorball

If I can be four people at once, I might even do some work and visit a client whose just signed up for a guidebook to Camden markets...!
Quote:
I'm planning to make a day of it:-

If you’re in or around London from 29th May to 18th July you should definitely check out a new William S. Burroughs exhibition: [b]Dead Fingers Talk: The Tape Experiments of William S. Burroughs
and responses from 23 other artists at IMT Gallery in Cambridge Heath Road

If I can be four people at once, I might even do some work and visit a client whose just signed up for a guidebook to Camden markets...! [/b]
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Martin. Will definitely go to that. Too good to miss.

Not too far away. Tube journey from Euston 33 or 39 minutes.

I'd like to tag along with anyone who is going to this. If they don't mind.

Or I'll go on me jack jones.
Quote:
Quote:
[b] I'm planning to make a day of it:-

If you’re in or around London from 29th May to 18th July you should definitely check out a new William S. Burroughs exhibition: [b]Dead Fingers Talk: The Tape Experiments of William S. Burroughs and responses from 23 other artists at IMT Gallery in Cambridge Heath Road

If I can be four people at once, I might even do some work and visit a client whose just signed up for a guidebook to Camden markets...! [/b]
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Martin. Will definitely go to that. Too good to miss.

Not too far away. Tube journey from Euston 33 or 39 minutes.

I'd like to tag along with anyone who is going to this. If they don't mind.

Or I'll go on me jack jones. [/b]
Hi guys - let me know if you're going, 'cause as you know - Cambridge Heath Road isn't that far from me! wink

PS - Bethnal Green station (Central Line) is only a 5 minutes walk away - The Approach Tavern even less! cool
Quote:
QUOTE]Hi guys - let me know if you're going, 'cause as you know - Cambridge Heath Road isn't that far from me! wink

PS - Bethnal Green station (Central Line) is only a 5 minutes walk away - The Approach Tavern even less! cool
I'm definitely going. Getting an early choo-choo to Euston to fit Burroughs in. Thinking of leaving 23 copies of Junk Receiver & then legging it at the end. wink

I'll send you an email v. soon, Garry.
My plan (ha??? listen to me) is to arrive at Waterloo c1100am, which I think gives me plenty of time to do this stuff and have a beer or three...

Maybe we could meet up at the Burroughs thing and Travel back into town together mid-afternoon? In time to Move Through Old Daylight at least

It's great - every Foxx event I attend in London is always accompanied by at least one art exhibition somewhere else.
Super donuts laugh

It would be useful to know when things wind up as my last train from Waterloo is 0105 - though to be honest I rather get the train an hour earlier than that.
I’m really looking forward to my first visit to the Roundhouse. It’s got some history, and some trace elements of Foxx already.

Here’s James Mason in the superb documentary The London Nobody Knows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gg0kC1jNsQ – sadly this is the only clip I can find online and The Roundhouse is 1m30s or so in.

As mentioned in the clip, Pink Floyd played there in 1966, and so did Unit Delta Plus at Million Volt Light and Sound Rave in 1967…

Unit Delta Plus was BBC Radiophonic Workshop’s Delia Derbyshire, Brian Hodgson and Peter Zinovieff who came together as UDP to create electronic music and also promote its use in television, film and advertising

The Million Volt Light and Sound Rave event took place over two nights (January 28th and February 4th 1967) and included a performance of tape music by Unit Delta Plus, as well as a playback of the legendary Carnival of Light, a fourteen minute sound collage assembled by Paul McCartney around the time of the Beatles' Penny Lane sessions.
There's an interview with (and some interesting background behind) Ghost Box here at the Quietus

http://thequietus.com/articles/04153-the-advisory-circle-mind-how-you-go-ghost-box
Quote:
Here’s James Mason in the superb documentary The London Nobody Knows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gg0kC1jNsQ – sadly this is the only clip I can find online and The Roundhouse is 1m30s or so in.
Indeed a great film, too bad it wasn't longer!
Quote:
Originally posted by fons:
Quote:
[b]Here’s James Mason in the superb documentary The London Nobody Knows
Indeed a great film, too bad it wasn't longer! [/b]
Wow - I never knew!

Just goes to show how little I know about the biggest metropolis nearest to my home town!
It is out on dvd since a few years, had my copy from Emule years ago (from vhs origin).
Adding some trivia; the director, Norman Cohen, was also the one who made the '71 Dad's Army movie (something else I happen to like laugh )
It's now also part of The London Collection;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/London-Collectio...74690048&sr=8-1

Well recommended!
Please see the following about a 'new' collaboration...

Parallel Lives is a new cut-up collaboration between John Foxx, underground film-maker and musician Steve D'Agostino and movie director Alex Proyas, whose credits include the Will Smith blockbuster I, Robot, along with the '90s noir classics Dark City and The Crow.

This new work will be screened at The Roundhouse on the 5th of June, just before Foxx's analogue electronic set.

According to Proyas, "If only my 18 year old self could've seen his film with an original John Foxx soundtrack he would've been beside himself with excitement... hell, my 48 year old self is pretty impressed too! Just wonderful." The short is a cut-up of Proyas's film Groping, set to a brand new version of the Foxx 1980 B-side Film One.

"I think apart from his incredibly cinematic lyrics, John's music has always conjured entire movies in my head when I listen to it," says Proyas. "I think it is his mastery of atmosphere that has stayed with me through the years. If I could only make a movie as textured and evocative as John's music I would be a happy man".

Rob
Quote:

[b]Parallel Lives
is a new cut-up collaboration between John Foxx, underground film-maker and musician Steve D'Agostino and movie director Alex Proyas, whose credits include the Will Smith blockbuster I, Robot, along with the '90s noir classics Dark City and The Crow.

According to Proyas, "If only my 18 year old self could've seen his film with an original John Foxx soundtrack he would've been beside himself with excitement... hell, my 48 year old self is pretty impressed too! Just wonderful." The short is a cut-up of Proyas's film Groping, set to a brand new version of the Foxx 1980 B-side Film One.[/b]
WOW! I can't wait to see that. Groping was one of my favourite avant-garde films of the 80s.
Quote:
Originally posted by Atom Man:
Quote:
[b]
[b]Parallel Lives is a new cut-up collaboration between John Foxx, underground film-maker and musician Steve D'Agostino and movie director Alex Proyas, whose credits include the Will Smith blockbuster I, Robot, along with the '90s noir classics Dark City and The Crow.

According to Proyas, "If only my 18 year old self could've seen his film with an original John Foxx soundtrack he would've been beside himself with excitement... hell, my 48 year old self is pretty impressed too! Just wonderful." The short is a cut-up of Proyas's film Groping, set to a brand new version of the Foxx 1980 B-side Film One.[/b]
WOW! I can't wait to see that. Groping was one of my favourite avant-garde films of the 80s. [/b]
I've never seen Groping - but there's a beautiful still from it on the Quiet Man blog here; http://blog.thequietman.co.uk/2009/06/

The colours, the sense of movement, the almost Edward Hopper-ness of it too - it's just such a beautiful still - I'd have it framed if there was a decent quality version of it.

Like Foxx with The H-Man still - you could almost create a story out of that single image.
Hi there,

I think I've made a bit of a last minute decision to make the trip down from Glasgow for this concert but to do it in a day and get the overnight bus which is leaving from Victoria station at 11:45, so I'm just wondering if someone can tell me when, roughly, John's set will finish?

thanks,
Chris smile
Quote:
Originally posted by numan-chris:
Hi there,

I think I've made a bit of a last minute decision to make the trip down from Glasgow for this concert but to do it in a day and get the overnight bus which is leaving from Victoria station at 11:45, so I'm just wondering if someone can tell me when, roughly, John's set will finish?

thanks,
Chris smile
and as an aside, would it be considered 'safe' to get the underground from Chalk Farm to Victoria at that time of night?
Quote:
[b]Parallel Lives is a new cut-up collaboration between John Foxx, underground film-maker and musician Steve D'Agostino and movie director Alex Proyas, whose credits include the Will Smith blockbuster I, Robot, along with the '90s noir classics Dark City and The Crow.[/b]
A two minute extract from Parallel Lives can be viewed here ...

Rob
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Atom Man:
[b]WOW! I can't wait to see that. Groping was one of my favourite avant-garde films of the 80s.
I've never seen Groping - but there's a beautiful still from it on the Quiet Man blog here; http://blog.thequietman.co.uk/2009/06/
The colours, the sense of movement, the almost Edward Hopper-ness of it too - it's just such a beautiful still - I'd have it framed if there was a decent quality version of it.

Like Foxx with The H-Man still - you could almost create a story out of that single image. [/b]
The subject matter of Groping is, uh, a little disturbing. It was amazingly filmed, however.
Quote:
Quote:
[b] [b]Parallel Lives is a new cut-up collaboration between John Foxx, underground film-maker and musician Steve D'Agostino and movie director Alex Proyas, whose credits include the Will Smith blockbuster I, Robot, along with the '90s noir classics Dark City and The Crow.[/b]
A two minute extract from Parallel Lives can be viewed here ...

Rob [/b]
Thanks for letting us know.
Quote:
Quote:
[b] Hi there,

thanks,
Chris smile
and as an aside, would it be considered 'safe' to get the underground from Chalk Farm to Victoria at that time of night? [/b]
yet another point(sorry!), but is Gary Numan's DJ set planned for before or after Foxx does anyone know?
There's been no programme published yet, but I think we are all going on the understanding that Numan/Fenton will 'open' the show i.e. they will be on before the main event
Thanks for that, I thought that would be the case, I appreciate there is no published schedule but is it anticipated that the event will finish around 11pm?
Quote:
Thanks for that, I thought that would be the case, I appreciate there is no published schedule but is it anticipated that the event will finish around 11pm?
I'm looking to 'publish' a schedule of events tomorrow - it was going to be tonight, only I got 'distracted'...

Rob
Quote:
Quote:
[b] Thanks for that, I thought that would be the case, I appreciate there is no published schedule but is it anticipated that the event will finish around 11pm?
I'm looking to 'publish' a schedule of events tomorrow - it was going to be tonight, only I got 'distracted'...

Rob [/b]
That would be a great help if you could smile
Quote:
Hi there,

thanks,
Chris smile
Hiya Chris,

No idea what time it ends but regards to the tube - try here nearer the time http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

It'll also tell you about any planned works/disruptions over the weekend (which because of the Olympics/new tube line extensions etc, there a re a lot of disruptions at weekends) that may affect you getting to Victoria

Hope it helps
Thanks for that, I'll certainly check there in the days leading up and we can always get a taxi if there is any problem, we're travelling down by train so there should be no issues with that hopefully smile
The schedule for the show at The Roundhouse has now been confirmed - and is as follows...

17:00 - Moving Through Old Daylight

The doors to the main concert area will open at 19:00...

19.30 - Jori Hulkkonen
20.15 - Gary Numan and Ade Fenton
21:00 - John Foxx
22:30 - Back To The Phuture DJs

Please note that Moving Through Old Daylight has a nominal 'extra' charge of £2.00 - and there are only 100 tickets available.
Point your browser here for more information...

The musicians appearing on stage at The Roundhouse will be...

John Foxx - Vocals, Synthesizers
Benge - Synthesizers, Percussion, Bass
Louis Gordon - Synthesizers
Robin Simon - Guitar
Steve D'Agostino - Synthesizers
Serafina Steer - Synthesizers
Jean-Gabriel Becker - Bass, Synthesizers
Liam Hutton - Drums, Percussion

VJs - Jonathan Barnbrook and Karborn

DJs - Gary Numan, Ade Fenton, Jori Hulkkonen and Mark Jones (Back To The Phuture)

Back To The Phuture will be playing a very electronic set with a VJ and the screen and stage set after the show - from Fad Gadget to Leftfield and a number of points in between...

Rob
Rob - thanks a million for posting this!

Loving Serafina Steer - can she be persuaded to play harp instead of more keyboards...

Seems like there's time to get sensible trains back home too. smile

Super stuff
Many thanks for posting the schedule, feeling less anxious about what to do afterwards now! smile

although how will John fit in the whole Metamatic album and all the 'bonuses' into an hour and a half?
I don't think John Foxx is going to playing the whole Metamatic album. eek

From the recent EY interview:

We plan to play episodes - Metamatic - Rob Simon and Systems of Romance, Louis Gordon - and the new songs recorded with Benge for the John Foxx & The Maths project. And a new Paul Daley track...
So when was the last time John Foxx played at The Roundhouse??
Does anyone know if photography/video is permitted at any part of the Roundhouse gig, and at the 'old daylight' seminar? I'm mulling about bringing my cam smile
I've never been to a Foxx gig where I was told off for filming yet so I dont think it will be a problem.
cheers Brian smile (I've got a Panasonic NV-GS250, way too big for a pocket!)
Quote:
Not like you to be lost for words, Martin laugh
Rob are there ant plans to film the Roundhouse gig for a possible live DVD??
Allegedly the event is to be streamed live laugh laugh

details here from the Roundhouse

http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/john-foxx-4616
The John Foxx event will broadcast live online from Saturday 5 June at 7.30pm.
That is fantastic news!
i was at the Roundhouse a few minutes ago, tried to pick up my tickets
Didn't work though (they closed already), but i did hear a bit of the soundchecking! laugh
See you all tomorrow!
IT IS TODAY!!!

Going down with an old pal I have not seen for 25 years who founded a synth band when he was 16. I can finally give him his vinyl copy of The Garden back too, book and all.

Hope to be around many of you there. I have been doing a song by song per day, introduction to Metamatic on my Facebook and got to Touch and Go yesterday. Really enjoyed writing about the elements of the songs, and how John created a whole world in that album.

smile ))
Looking forward to it.Nice weather too! I'll be wearing my Follow Your Leader Prodigy Super Yellow t-shirt...... so introduce yourself!
According to the live update feed on the Roundhouse website during the streaming:

"Thank you for the comments, I understand this will be released offically sometime in the future"
Just been watching the stream of this.......aaaaarrrrrrggghhhhh why didn't I go, looked superb, great song selection, live drums, bass, etc.........John Foxx....why isn't this man a ******* superstar?????
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
According to the live update feed on the Roundhouse website during the streaming:

"Thank you for the comments, I understand this will be released offically sometime in the future"
Hope so, absolutely superb!!!
The gig was really superb!
And it got better and better towards the end.
As for me he might as well skipped the Metamatic material, the rest was THAT good!

They announced the recording on the doors, there were a bunch of cameras to be seen inside.

A big thanks to all i met during the evening, it only added to the fun.
Couldn't say bye because i ended up in a argument with a roundhouse security guy.
Big greets to Brian, Chris, Garry, Mr. Normall, Rob & Scott (your comments on THE movie still make me grin laugh )
Yep, a very moving gig on account of the Metamatic opening and the Ultravox material. John was very dignified with great projections.

Gary turned up at the end with an Ipad, presumably to keep an eye on the live stream from his babysitter whilst he and Ade bounced around manically. Sounded from the constant levels as if they'd made the set earlier and were miming with the gear - but who cared as they sounded great. I didn't see Gary plug his Mac laptop in. A fine day.
Wow! highlights for me were Burning Car,Underpass,Quiet Men & Slow Motion.
It was me that asked the question about a release via the comments on the live stream, it's good news it will get released.

The concert was good, the stream picture was diabolical at times but the sound was good, bit disappointed "The Pleasures Of Electricity" was n't given a place in the set, I felt the middle of the set was a bit flat to be honest but then the Ultravox stuff made up for that, "Quiet Men" was awesome.

I think "Destination" for me has to be regarded as a classic John Foxx track.
Hi gary

Show was filmed on 5 cameras intention is to release on dvd according to various people i spoke to after the gig

Brian
It is excellent that a DVD will be coming out Brian.

Regards the gig, like a few people have said an a couple of other threads the section with Lois Gordon just did n't work, it sounded like a jumbled mess and things struggled to get back on track after that, I suppose it was n't easy to follow that section with material that people were n't familiar with.

Thankfully the Ultravox section was really excellent.
I thought the whole gig was excellent--I really liked the fact that John had a full band backing him--it did a lot to enrich the songs, IMHO.

I also enjoyed seeing everyone from the forum--those I already knew, and the new people I met. Fantastic time--people wonder why I always fly in from the States to see Foxx, but he's always worth it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Brigid:
people wonder why I always fly in from the States to see Foxx
I don't wonder at that at all. laugh I would have done the same if I could have afforded it. I will have to be content to save my pennies for the DVD (hopefully a DVD CD combo.) Very much looking forward to it! Very happy for all those who attended!
Sounds like a great night. Could anybody provide a setlist of the night?
Quote:
Originally posted by Your Shadow:
Sounds like a great night. Could anybody provide a setlist of the night?
It's here Andy .. http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000582;p=1
Thanks MemberD
Roundhouse round-up:

http://blog.thequietman.co.uk/2010/07/the-roundhouse-5th-june-2010/
Someone forgot to thank Rob Simon.Whoops!

Thanks to everyone who came along to the show. It was a great night and a complete one-off. John would also like to thank all the musicians, VJs, DJs and artists who took part - Benge, Steve D’Agostino, Louis Gordon, Jean Gabriel Becker, Serafina Steer, Liam Hutton, Jori Hulkkonen, Karborn, Jonathan Barnbrook, Gary Numan, Ade Fenton, Mark Jones, Mark Fisher, Iain Sinclair, Julian House and Jim Jupp at Ghost Box. Also the crew, Chris 1 & 2, and Leigh Hunt who were all fantastic. And thanks to Alex Proyas & Steve D’Agostino for Parallel Lives
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Someone forgot to thank Rob Simon.Whoops!

Thanks to everyone who came along to the show. It was a great night and a complete one-off. John would also like to thank all the musicians, VJs, DJs and artists who took part - Benge, Steve D’Agostino, Louis Gordon, Jean Gabriel Becker, Serafina Steer, Liam Hutton, Jori Hulkkonen, Karborn, Jonathan Barnbrook, Gary Numan, Ade Fenton, Mark Jones, Mark Fisher, Iain Sinclair, Julian House and Jim Jupp at Ghost Box. Also the crew, Chris 1 & 2, and Leigh Hunt who were all fantastic. And thanks to Alex Proyas & Steve D’Agostino for Parallel Lives
Fixed now laugh
Any date for DVD/CD release of this concert?
Quote:
Originally posted by John Taylor:
Any date for DVD/CD release of this concert?
Not yet - it's likely to be sometime next year, but I can't be any more specific than that at this stage.

Rob
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by John Taylor:
[b] Any date for DVD/CD release of this concert?
Not yet - it's likely to be sometime next year, but I can't be any more specific than that at this stage.

Rob [/b]
Ah the 'impatient' waiting game, John Foxx Roundhouse and Prodigy Milton Keynes are at the top of my must haves for 2011,would be nice if they are both released on Blu-ray!
© Metamatic