Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
I
OP Offline
I
About 3/4 way down ! Yours truly and Mr R Beach

Membs being the resident Italian speaker on here will do the translation at reasonable prices too

http://www.granfondoepica.it/

arf arf!

...having some trouble translating "Carry Heney". Huh? Prize for "most furthest away resident" participants? What kind of category is that?
I would've seen you better off as the most "folkloristico" riders in yer Velomatic "grey suit" outfits.

Is that you two in the opening 'cinemascope' pic in burgundy "kit"? My, haven't you aged.

Hehehehehehe! Brilliant! Oi D! It's a great category! wink We each 'won' a bottle of wine and a salami about a foot long smile

Velomatic is go!

Cheers Ivan! I had a brilliant time! Will invite you on the London to Brighton one but I think L'Epica will be hard to beat!

Careful with that foot-long salami, Eugene .. ooo-err..signora!

I should've come on me Colnago 'vicar's-bike' so as to have won *both* categories.
grin

I
OP Offline
I
Hiya Fausto ! See I'm as good pal I said in Italian " yeah me and me arl china Gazza were boaf West Ham We lav our mothers and a good fakkin rack against Meewor and we only kill are own " Had I said the horrible 9 letter L word the extra 200 miles would have got me the prize !!
Once again Well done mate I hope ypu mate will appreciate the salami
London Brighton sounds good We did 70 (68 plus two) plus the 8k ride in so that's the equivalent without the massive climb piece of piss Carry Lid !

Heh! Cheers Ivan!

Yep, sadly being a vegetarian means I'm passing my prize salami along to someone else - they don't get the wine though, that's ALL MINE!

...I'm currently looking up classifieds etc for a nice old Bianchi racer for 2012! smile

I
OP Offline
I
I'm sure he'll appreciate it being the bon viveur he is
I'll mail the Epica site asking them to jib the salame next year for an extra bottle of vino !
*raises a glass to the Marco Pantani looking barman in Acqui *

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: MemberD

I should've come on me Colnago 'vicar's-bike' so as to have won *both* categories.
grin

Where were you Marco with the Metamatic foam pink hand to cheer us on !!
You up for it next year Mr Ferrara boy ? (no prize for you !!)

Originally Posted By: Ivan Basso
I'll mail the Epica site asking them to jib the salame next year for an extra bottle of vino !

EEEEEEEVA-TOOOHN! wink

I
OP Offline
I
Ta Gazza Can you get that photo of you in Gazzola up on site ? When you tweet Bri next tell him about "Marco Pantani's" undying love for West Bromweeech !
Works calls Have a good one tonight !

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/11/11 12:13 PM.

grin

Where were you Marco with the Metamatic foam pink hand to cheer us on !!
You up for it next year Mr Ferrara boy ? (no prize for you !!)

Let's just say the event was not programmed into my user-friendly reminder system .. ie. I forgot! Bit far to go for me anyway just to cheer on a few wallys in lycra on velocepedes.

I am always somewhat peturbed by the mention of Signor Pantani (notwithstanding his 'local hero' status round these parts) .. cos he topped himself on my birfday. Had I seen said barman-doppelganger "in the flesh" I probably would've done a wobbler .. even without a bike.
shocked

Ta Gazza Can you get that photo of you in Gazzola up on site ? When you tweet Bri next tell him about "Marco Pantani's" undying love for West Bromweeech !

Things u chaps do for wine and salami!

I'd expect a glass of real ale and a chicken tikki balti at the end

Marco is the other baggie always good to know.

Are you back over for new years Ivan?

If so we may have a new years day fixture

Brian

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: RadioBeach

EEEEEEEVA-TOOOHN! wink

As requestd the article I write You can write the 2011 version if you want So many parallels !
But first this ditty just about sums Sundays efforts up perfectly "We can beat them gravel paths just for one day "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgcc5V9Hu3g&ob=av2n

L’epica : Follow that Car (thaginian)

Last Saturday found me making the 55 mile train ride to Piacenza to “compete” in L’Epica (following in the footsteps of Hannibal ) hence the title It’s more a celebration of the bike , rather than a race as will shortly be explained . My own prize , that of “Mamella del giorno “ or “Tit du Jour “ as you say back home was won on my arrival at Piacenza station .. Should I ever produce a phrase book , it will contain “Guard , I have secured my velocipede to the bicycle rack by means of a locking device and have neglected to bring the keys !” A hastily produced saw saved my embarrassment and prevented my bike being doomed to travelling all the way back to Turin . I , then made my way to the hostel like a salmon swimming against the current , this particular current being the early Saturday evening “Passeggiata “ in full swing . Still a sight to behold after all these years. The main drag in Piacenza is truly wonderful from an architectural point of view . Once in the hostel , I thought I’d watch the land of my forefathers play the land of my wife and daughter , but it wasn’t to be , as the hostel telly was on the blink , so I retired to bed with a book ,. I was up at 5 .30 and at 7.00 cycled the 8k to San Nicolò the starting point of the race . Race is a somewhat erroneous term , there were three categories 30k , 65 k and 105k It was a throwback to a gentler pre -doping era The competitors were encouraged to bring vintage bikes and clothing and it was amazing to see bikes from the 40’s 50’s 60’s and 70’s . There were also modern state-of .the .art bikes and mountain bikes . My steed of choice was a 12 year old steel frame Legnano rather than my carbon/aluminium Scott for reasons which will become obvious. Mid 80’s hits such as Simple Minds and Tina Turner were blasting out from the makeshift refreshment area . In a Proustian way , it brought back memories of our last great side . A makeshift exhibition of vintage jerseys had been set up I handed over my Renault mid 70’s woolen one I had thought about riding in it , but decided I did not want to hand over my already meager savings to a dermatologist !In tribute to the upcoming game in Estadio da Luz a Blue and white Berg jersey purchased in Lisbon in August was worn .
9 o’clock arrived , and the line up was like the previous evening’s passeggiata , truly a sight to behold . It was amazing to see such a variety of bikes I decided to go for the long haul 105k In keeping with cycling’s more innocent days, no chips , just a card to be stamped at the various feeding stations along the way . The race itself , more or less followed the River Trebbia . which Hannibal and his elephants had followed on the way down to Rome after crossing the Alps . Another feature of the race was that 30k , in intermittent sections , were along so called “strade bianche “ rough country gravel paths . You could tangibly feel the envy towards the mountain bikers on those sections . The first station was reached after 35k ,water , wine , energy drinks , fine wines , salame and cheeses all there for the taking . The bright sunshine added to the festive feeling and cards were stamped . My inner ale- fiend was tempted to hit the wine . but decided to refrain until the finishing line . The route then hit the hills and low mountains and I found myself with a couple of 60 year old ex semi professionals It was really interesting to hear their tales , and made the steep uphill sections less tiring , the beautiful scenery added to this as well , After 60k came the worst section , a 2k uphill climb on gravel at an average of 9 per cent (16 per cent at its steepest ) The highest feeding station at 500 m was reached , cards once again stamped , food consumed and everything was like that classic David Bowie LP featuring “Life on Mars ” My trusty Legnano was holding up , then on a swift downhill section , the ominous sound of a blowout , pretty scary at that speed . 10 minutes of cursing and swearing saw the tube in my front wheel replaced , only for the back wheel to go 2 minutes later , which meant parting with the second and ultimate inner tube ! On the way down , the race passed through a village called Statto This was manifestly obvious as the inhabitants all wore anoraks and NHS specs and would come out with such gems as “Burnley fielded a side in the 1912/13 season completely made up of Saggitarians “ The final station was reached , I reached for what I thought was energy drink it turned out to be Prosecco wine ,! “Ah well , if Buddha so decrees , so be it “ and helped myself to another glass and a salame bap . The last 25 k to San Nicolò passed quickly , the finishing –line was reached and goody bags were given out Two bottles of the areas finest wine (Gutturnio /Malvasia) The final cherry on the cake was the Polenta Party and all the free wine that went with it in the glorious sunshine. It was truly a privilege to take part in such an event . A real celebration of the two wheeled sport . A reminder of a more innocent age . Similar to the beautiful game in the 70’s before Sky defiled its pulchritude .

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: Brian

Things u chaps do for wine and salami!

I'd expect a glass of real ale and a chicken tikki balti at the end
Marco is the other baggie always good to know.

Are you back over for new years Ivan?

If so we may have a new years day fixture

Brian

Looking unlikely Brian but you never know I'd deffo love to do that canal ride at some stage Would you be up for the Velomatic peloton should we get London to Brighton sorted ?

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/12/11 08:28 AM.

I
OP Offline
I

Excellent stuff me old china Great memories indeed
They should make you mayor of Gazzola !

That'd of been good! All that wine though - I'd go mad

I need to buy a racer Ivan,would be at the back of the crowd on my mountain bike.

When is London to Brighton?

Last edited by Brian; 10/12/11 04:37 PM.

I think that's only possible if you're on foursquare ...

honorary citizen, at most.

I
OP Offline
I
I need to buy a racer Ivan,would be at the back of the crowd on my mountain bike.

When is London to Brighton?

17TH JUNE 2012 ACCORDING TO THE SITE

I can't make that as I'm away in Ireland for my birthday around then.

I
OP Offline
I
I can't make that as I'm away in Ireland for my birthday around then.

Typical Geminian They always let you down Can't be trusted !!

Well that's what my missus is aklways saying to me !

Never mind mate Another time

Actually I'm a cancerian we are going for the 2 weeks round my birthday.

So yes another time mate.

I
OP Offline
I
Spot the Foxxheads on the starting line !

http://www.bicidepoca.com/index.php?opti...mp;limitstart=1 Winner will receive a vinyl gatefold sleeve copy of "Ultravox!"
Third pic btw

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/13/11 09:34 PM.
C
C
Please excuse my intrusion here Ivan, great photos of the day and event, but that one of the chap taking his pet elephants for a ride on his bike is really superb, such a happy sight, and I particularly like the way he's thoughtfully provided some grass for their sustenance during the tough journey.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: core memory
Please excuse my intrusion here Ivan, great photos of the day and event, but that one of the chap taking his pet elephants for a ride on his bike is really superb, such a happy sight, and I particularly like the way he's thoughtfully provided some grass for their sustenance during the tough journey.

Not at all Cores Welcome to the Vélomatic peloton ., I totally agree It harks back to a more gentile era When people had backbone and moral fibre Things sadly lacking in the youth of today Funnily enough I was saying this not the other day to Dr Liam Fox(x) as I accompanied him on a fact- finding mission in Amsterdam ! Well you take at stint at the front of the peloton while I go out to purchase The Daily Mail and Telegraph

Ivan and I had a fantastic time! L’Epica was an absolute joy again this year. After the race, we went cycling up to and stayed in Alice Bel Colle (well, Ivan cycled all the way up, I’m not a climber so there was a km of it I walked!). We then travelled down through Mombaruzzo, Bruno, Bergamasco, Oviglio and on to Alessandria. I then spent a day wandering around the beautiful city of Turin, blasting out Systems of Romance as I did so.

Ivan, many thanks to your good self, Miss and Mrs Basso, also Bijou the cat and Patti Smith. I’d also like to thank Graham Parker and his Rumour, Barclay James Harvest and Chiswick Bruno. Many, many thanks also for the Bianchi! I’ll try and get some of the photos up on Flickr tonight and tomorrow.

I
OP Offline
I
Radler my trusty gregario ! It was a pleasure to have you over .Glad you enjoyed it . I can't wait for next year now No photos on Epica site as yet , I look forward to getting yours
I mntioned our stay in Alice on the "Whaty music" thread You forgot to mention The Camel , he'll get the hump !
We woz in Patti Smith's caff last night , She sends her regards

Arf! Oh yeah! I forgot about the Moog noodling of Camel! Heh!

The L'Epica site here is blocked sadly, so if you see the date for the next one, let me know. Ciao Patti!

I
OP Offline
I
It's not been updated since Sunday mate . Can't wait to see the pics I should imagine at the weekend Any chance of you e- mailing me some race related photos please ?
Plus I expect a full length report of you losing your cleat virginity once you get that Bianchi out to the park !

Addendum just reread the other post I'll wait for you to put them up on flickr

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/04/12 01:17 PM.
Heh! Currently on my reading list:

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/beginner-technique-dont-be-scared-of-clipless-pedals-28408/

Some of the race photos straight of my phone should be with you now.

I
OP Offline
I
Cheers matey Got back about 10 minutes ago and checked e-mail Shuddered when I saw the puncture related one ! all good mempories tho Thanks You look Dennis Mortimeresque in your faux Villa jersey !

I
OP Offline
I
Great stuff bruv ! From now on I shall always associate Scott Walker with mud , gravel , stones, massive puddles , saddle soreness and an aching in the nether regions !

Addendum JUdging from his jersey Holgar Czukay seems to be a fan of yours ! )Last years race)

http://www.bicidepoca.com/index.php?opti...mp;limitstart=1 photo 5

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/04/12 07:52 PM.
I
OP Offline
I
Right "Hansey " you are off my Xmas card list cos I didn't get a prize They sussed I am from Alessandria !!
Well done mate If I've linked this correctly Go down the report in the central column At the very bottom , there is a list of prize winners "premiati" You will see your name and "Surname" next to "Il piu lontano " (he who came from furthest away Think I'll contact the organizers re your prize or have you e mailed wee Bruno already ?
General gist of article "Epica a great success despite crappy weather "
http://www.bicidepoca.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=925&Itemid=1

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/05/12 07:51 AM.
Hahahahaha! LONTANO! MOI? laugh

So, I had a go with the cleats (see evidence here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoodlum_scientist/).

No problems at first - I practiced snapping in and out whilst holding on to a park bench for a while. When I thought I'd got the hang of it, I wandered off around the park to do a few circuits.

I didn't have any problems until I encountered people and even then that was okay, like you said - I started grabbing hold of things, park gates and lampposts mostly. So, everything was going swimmingly until I came across the very long stretch of path in the park and a dog flew out towards me. I didn't fall off, but I came close - managing to snap out of the pedal just in time.

I recognise what a difference they make racing-wise, but day-to-day I'm not entirely sure they're suitable. I think I'll need to work with them though, as it'd be rude not to enter a few things (London to Brighton etc) and not use them, but for day-to-day use, I'm going to get some cages etc.

That bike is beautiful though. Many thanks. F**king fast innit! laugh

I
OP Offline
I
Ivan Basso likes this (Daft thumbs up sign)
Pleased for you Garry Did you manage to reassemble it on your tod , or did you go the mechanic's ? I told you the first time would be weird Hope you get London to Brighton in I might make it over myself Plenty of time for Wicklow 100 I'll speak to my Irish mate
Once again , thanks for EFC updates We should have slept up in Alice , but Miss Basso has things to do with her friends tomorrow , so we've come back down Galilei was wrong The universe ain't heliocentric , it's Karencentric !!
The bike looks beautiful in her London setting I'm glad the baggage handlers didn't screw up !

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/06/12 07:02 PM.
I did it! shocked

Cheers! That’s Victoria Park – great place to practice as it’s right next to the canal which can take you as far as littele Venice in the West or Greenwich if you go East.

Seen this?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/oct/09/top-10-cycling-races-uk-europe

PS – My mate Simon is also interested in L’Epica next year

Hey Ivan!

Bruno sent the prize! Got it today - it's full cycling gear; hell, there's even a cycling mankini thing! laugh

PS - Not forgotten - 'package of stuff' is still being put together, hope you're well guv!

... hell, there's even a cycling mankini thing! laugh

* picture required smirk

Hahahahahahahaha! NO! sick

I
OP Offline
I
Nice one me owl spud mucker ! What sort of jersey is it ?

100 miler in London next year on the Olympic course - I know there is a London - Brighton every year, but is there something like this as well?

http://www.ridelondon.co.uk/Events/100.htm

If I'm in town and can get hold of a bike (numerous sources, should be OK!) I might try this (albeit leisurely). smile

I
OP Offline
I
GERTCHA Gaz and Dave
Ivan takes a stint at the front of the Velomatic peleton whilst Rads holds up the rear !

http://www.granfondoepica.it/EPICA_2012_Compilation1/target637.html

Fantastic! laugh hahahaha! Cheers!

Nice one me owl spud mucker ! What sort of jersey is it ?

It's all made by a company called Gist

Originally Posted By: solenoid
100 miler in London next year on the Olympic course - I know there is a London - Brighton every year, but is there something like this as well?

http://www.ridelondon.co.uk/Events/100.htm

If I'm in town and can get hold of a bike (numerous sources, should be OK!) I might try this (albeit leisurely). smile

That looks great! Cheers Chris! smile

.. whilst Rads holds up the rear !

oo-err! missus!

I
OP Offline
I
Yo The Radler ! Finished at 10 30 this morning So got the old Legnano out Nearly a month Still got that wee number from Epica tied round the handlecar ! Brass monkey weather , but the discomfort in the nether regions was more than compensated for once I got into the hills and caught the snow covered Alps in the distance
Only 3 days to "the Clash of the Titans" dahnt' Lern

I
OP Offline
I
13th OCTOBER my trusty gregario !!!!!!!!!!!

Exhibit A millud http://www.granfondoepica.it/

Molte Bene! grin

I'll get the wheels in motion, guv - d'you see what I did there? did'ya?

I
OP Offline
I
Wicklow 100 completed on Sunday in 4hrs 7 minutes (Rads knows this already)Great scenery , wonderful day Think I've honoured my user name
Great pub next day too (See seperate subject)

I
OP Offline
I
Ok Radler my trusty gregario further to our natter ont' dog and bone last night , if you and Si are coming over Thursday it might be worth bringing your bikes over (or him at least) La Bianchi is still yours We/You * could use Alice Bel Colle as a high altitude training camp for a few days prior to the event As I mentioned L^Epica can be done competitively with a chip this year This requires a Sports Medical , I had mine on Friday I think I also told you thast the lovely Michela has a jersey to send me All the best on Le col d'Hampstead !!!
*Personally I hope it's second rather than first person plural because as much as I love it up there I hope to be gainfully employed come October !

Should be seeing Simon later in the week guv and will run it by him - no cause for alarm!

Not looking forward to Hampstead though - yeesh

I
OP Offline
I

Should be seeing Simon later in the week guv and will run it by him - no cause for alarm!

Not looking forward to Hampstead though - yeesh

Just don't do a Tom Simpsom at the top of Le Col d'Hampstead ! Joking apart , great biography about him . almost finished . I'll have to get up Le Ventoux before I reach my dotage

Good news , received a lovely faux retro black and white Campagnolo jersey from the lovely Michela this very morn

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 06/20/13 10:39 AM.

Ahhhhhhhhh - that's brilliant news!

About the lovely faux retro black and white Campagnolo jersey I mean - not me going Simpson on Le Col d'Hampstead.

I
OP Offline
I

Ahhhhhhhhh - that's brilliant news!

About the lovely faux retro black and white Campagnolo jersey I mean - not me going Simpson on Le Col d'Hampstead.

I'm kicking and punching myself in anger here Radler Just took the Legnano in for an overhaul before hitting the coast My bike mechanic asked "Are you going to La Mitica in Castellania (Fausto Coppi's native village) tomorrow ? "Didn't know it on mate " was all I could feebly reply Anyone entries are closed I am crying bitter tears of frustration onto my keyboard as I type this ! I'm about as on the ball as Wigan's defense !

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8xdvy8mTneI/UclyonotdrI/AAAAAAAAIKk/LgFVtBkOsrg/s1600/LA-MITICA-2013.jpg

I
OP Offline
I
STOP PRESS
I said to myself "Ivan stop being a drama queen I caught the same train we got to Piacenza only as far as Tortona (15 minutes) then cycled the gruelling 14k climb to Castellania Turned out I knew one of the organisers so I was able top sign on for the short one 41k Down to Novi Ligure to Il Campionissimo Museum dedicated to Fausto Coppi We were allowed in free and plied with white wine pizza and farinata The way back contained two very steep climbs , one on a never ending gravel track a real killer plus the climb I'd done to get there one in ten gradients All rounded off by agnolotti and red wine in the grounds of "Casa Coppi" the family home which has been turned into a smaller museum (not cycling but historical)
All in all a great day Not quite L Epica but getting there It was only the second edition of La Mitica
All in all Ivan is one happy cyclist !

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 06/30/13 01:37 PM.
grin

'cause everybody loves a happy ending! Glad you managed to get to do it in the end.

It does sound good guv - and a bit more picturesque than my round journey from Bethnal Green to Shepherd's Bush earlier today.

Will definitely look into doing that as well as L'Epica next year.

Mornin’ Ivan – well as you’ve probably already seen in the papers, on the news-wire and over the radiogram – a major – some say historic – victory not seen in sport for some time was finally won yesterday.

Yes, that’s right: I conquered Alpe d’Hampstead! laugh

I approached via Col de Adelaide Road, musette was munched somewhere passing near Mont Primrose Hill and then on along Saint Swiss Cottage and on and on and on.

Fantastic news about Froome too – I’m expecting a call from him any day now to congratulate me on my victory also and maybe ask if I can help out next year.

I
OP Offline
I
Mornin’ Ivan – well as you’ve probably already seen in the papers, on the news-wire and over the radiogram – a major – some say historic – victory not seen in sport for some time was finally won yesterday.

Yes, that’s right: I conquered Alpe d’Hampstead! laugh

I approached via Col de Adelaide Road, musette was munched somewhere passing near Mont Primrose Hill and then on along Saint Swiss Cottage and on and on and on.

Fantastic news about Froome too – I’m expecting a call from him any day now to congratulate me on my victory also and maybe ask if I can help out next year.

Chapeau Radler ! I trust you sailed through the subsequent anti doping test ! I'm mainly down the coast getting the ks in , in lung busting but gobsnackingly beautiful conditions. Velomatic faces a tough challenge to keep the electronic flag flying as we will be facing such tough opposition as Ag2r Iron Maiden , Omega Simply Red and aging Scouse Mavericks Radio Shack !

Hmmm - depends: can a well-earned pint of Guinness be considered doping?

Sounds like your having fun - I bet the weather is exceptional there!

I hear Astanabananarama are also in contention but as it's Alexandre Vinokorouv managing, I think we'll be OK!

I
OP Offline
I
Hmmm - depends: can a well-earned pint of Guinness be considered doping?

Sounds like your having fun - I bet the weather is exceptional there!

I hear Astanabananarama are also in contention but as it's Alexandre Vinokorouv managing, I think we'll be OK!

Vice Captain Hensey your mail has been replied to Our "Coming from furthest away" status in jeopardy cos of my fellow Blue Paddy mates joining the peloton

*pushes Ireland 700 miles further east*

Ooooo! Ah well - I have held the record for two years solid, best let someone else have a bash! 10-15 October yeah?

I was putting the miles in on Saturday guv - almost 7hrs of cycling, and here's a precis of la route:

Bethnal Green to Wimbledon (12 miles),
Wimbledon to Richmond Park - a few circuits, great place to cycle*

Richmond Park to Hampton Court Palace (7 miles along the Thames)

A cheeky pint in a posh pub

Hampton Court Palace to East Dulwich (15 miles via Richmond Park)

A cheeky bag of Fish n Chips

East Dulwich to Bethnal Green) (7 miles)

40-odd miles all told - some canals, parks and green spaces between the heavy road trafficc. Some nice hills in Richmond Park (hell, there's too many damn hills in West and Sarf Lahndun) - a great day out. Some more planned this weekend but no idea where yet.

I
OP Offline
I
Ooooo! Ah well - I have held the record for two years solid, best let someone else have a bash! 10-15 October yeah?

I was putting the miles in on Saturday guv - almost 7hrs of cycling, and here's a precis of la route:

40-odd miles all told - some canals, parks and green spaces between the heavy road trafficc. Some nice hills in Richmond Park (hell, there's too many damn hills in West and Sarf Lahndun) - a great day out. Some more planned this weekend but no idea where yet.

Nice one I'm impressed

*hands over captain's armband to The Radler*

Nice one I'm impressed

*hands over captain's armband to The Radler*

Hahahaha! I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to green to passed such responsibility! No guv - it's deffo yours!

I
OP Offline
I
50k for me this morning Rads . September is brilliant for the views and the weather First sign of snow on Alps

Ivan,

You have mail! smile

I
OP Offline
I
Yo vice captain Radler ! We've got two Irish* gregari in the peloton this year
Gazzolo after 21 k
and more importantly vino after 36 and 68 k !

http://www.granfondoepica.it/?page_id=1369

*Crafty Ivan has told the organizers that they are Swiss (It's a good job that they are the spitting image of Boris and Dieter out of Yello) so we will still get the much coveted "furthest away" prize . Let's hope Kenyan Chris Froome has other cycling commitments that day !

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 09/29/13 08:31 AM.
I
OP Offline
I
Yet another Epica successfully completed ! Great day as always , Peloton augmented by 2 of my fellow (Irish) Toffees

Here ìs me and The Radler in action !

http://www.lg-studio.it/gossolengo-rossia-epica/epica0227-detail.html

Epic! ...this geezer (244) looks more my style though .. Give the man a medal!

http://www.lg-studio.it/gossolengo-rossia-epica/epica0231-detail.html

Last edited by MemberD; 10/17/13 01:43 PM. Reason: better pic!
I
OP Offline
I

Good Lord Membs that's the (in)famous "Man in the Pub " ! He's well weird Did the full competitive course rather than la Pedalata course on that Sherman Tank of his He's a likeable loon . Ask Gazza

Like I said...my kinda guy.

"Man in the Pub" - isn't that a Mike Oldfield album track or summat?

Yet another Epica successfully completed ! Great day as always , Peloton augmented by 2 of my fellow (Irish) Toffees

YAY! AW FANTASTIC! Cheers Ivan!

Good Lord Membs that's the (in)famous "Man in the Pub " ! He's well weird Did the full competitive course rather than la Pedalata course on that Sherman Tank of his He's a likeable loon . Ask Gazza

"Man in the Pub " is up there with Coppi and Merckx for me - great attitude, lovely man. He even took time out at the end to tell me the best meal I could make with my prize-winning salami. I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm vegetarian! smile

I
OP Offline
I

YAY! AW FANTASTIC! Cheers Ivan!

As last seen on Crime Watch

http://www.lg-studio.it/images/stories/virtuemart/product/_dsc6790.jpg

North London's very own Jacques Anquetil !

http://www.lg-studio.it/tuna-epica/epica0639-detail.html

Hahahahahaha!

CHAMPIONS!

I
OP Offline
I
Hahahahahaha!

CHAMPIONS!

Get on these Radler ! Happy memories indeed .

https://db.tt/pe5lR1e0

I
OP Offline
I
Hahahahahaha!

CHAMPIONS!

Hello Radler Warm greetings from Michela and Fausto the organizers of L'Epica Just over a month now It'll be strange For the first time in 5 years on me tod !

I
OP Offline
I
Epica number 5 completed for Ivan earlier today. Gazza if you read this , you won "the most missed prize " Lots were asking after you ! Giving Miss Basso's midnight return from the pizzeria resulting in me only getting 90 minutes sleep , I opted for the shorter 60k route I got round in 2h 07 Pleased with thst Only caight a fleeting glance of Man in the Pub but as ever if , I might paraphrase the great man from "The Garden " He was there

I
OP Offline
I
Hahahahahaha!

CHAMPIONS!

Radler , my trusty gregario I shall be in Castellania Sunday morning to take part in La Mitica a tribute to the legendary Fausto Coppi. Like last time , leaving from the house he grew up in , in the Hills Halfway mark , Il Campionisimo cycling museum where we shall be welcomed with glasses of Prosecco and the area's finest fare. Bit like L'Epica

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 06/26/15 10:30 AM.
Well jel guv - wish I was there! I'd love to do La Mitica - hopefully 2016. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

I
OP Offline
I
Well jel guv - wish I was there! I'd love to do La Mitica - hopefully 2016. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Done Gazza I slept in Tortona last night and set off at 6 30 am Drop dead beautiful Appenine scenery on the steady gruelling climb (17k to reach the start) First part all step down hill to Novi Ligure abnd Campionissimo Museum the Whole day was about Fausto Coppi We were greeted at the museum with bottles of White wine and foccaccia After 20 minutes , the peloton wended its way back to Castellania the hill top village (similar to Alice) where Coppi grew up. Given the fact I had 17k to go back eedingstation before the killer finish There was a 900 foot height gain to make up and the first section was on a 3k strada bianca like in L'Epica but the gradients were gruelling Then another killer 4k section in the blistering heat before the final 3k to Castellania. I got back much faster than I expected and apparently was third to complete the 48 k course It was only 11.35 so I had time to get a shower before they starting serving food Ravioli with free wine Loads of stalls selling retro stuff , youda loved it. I purchased 4 cycling caps , one of which , a Bianchi one , will be winging its way to Château Radler , once I get me sheet together .Captain Ivan hopes his trusty gregario can make it to the next one .

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 06/28/15 08:29 PM.
Cor! That sounds a bit acecakes guv…except the 17km to the start! Heh! Blimey! I really need to work on my hills because where I live…there aren’t any! That sounds wonderful though – yes, we must do that next year, and cheers for the cap!

I
OP Offline
I
Cor! That sounds a bit acecakes guv…except the 17km to the start! Heh! Blimey! I really need to work on my hills because where I live…there aren’t any! That sounds wonderful though – yes, we must do that next year, and cheers for the cap!

A great day indeed The worst part was the ironically the easiest The initial steep descent to Novi 7 or 8 k of pressing on the brakes and making sure the cyclists in front of you didn't suddenly stop
The part I'm best pleased about , is that after the museum , I did the remaining 29k in 85 minutes 14 on the flat than 15 of horrendous climbing in searing heat and gravelled sections

No photies as yet apart from these

http://www.lastampa.it/2015/06/28/multim...ina.html?page=2

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 06/29/15 11:11 AM.
Cool! Look at all that vintage Bianchi gear! Blimey!

Looks like it was a great day - fantastic weather. Dunno if we'll get that on October!

I
OP Offline
I
Cool! Look at all that vintage Bianchi gear! Blimey!

Looks like it was a great day - fantastic weather. Dunno if we'll get that on October!

Radler my trusty gregario I was delighted to receive your mail VELOMATIC IS GO! I phoned the lovely Michela and she'll weigh us in (to use a different riding analogy) Undfortunately our Cranberries/Rory Gallagher domestiques Terry and Jess will not be available I did see them however in Dublin last week and they send their regards Copious amounts of Galway Hooker flowed. Guiness is sooo last century

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 09/04/15 10:11 AM.
Galway Hooker!? Must admit, I've never heard of it - if I see it I'll give it a go.

Sorry to hear Jess and Terry can't make it!

I've had Galway Hooker when I was in Galway City maybe 6 years ago.

Can be pretty hard to find though.

Nice change from the mono culture of Guiness & Smithwicks.

Brian

I
OP Offline
I
I've had Galway Hooker when I was in Galway City maybe 6 years ago.

Can be pretty hard to find though.

Nice change from the mono culture of Guiness & Smithwicks.

Brian

Good stuff indeed Remind me again Bri, what were we drinking in Wolverhampton pre Manics ? It was good whatever it was
It was in The Charles Parnell btw

It was a Black Country Inn pub.

I was drinking porter.You were drinking something hoppy can't remember what.

They say beer kills brain cells... crazy

I did pub crawl in Galway in 2001 with my Dad when he was alive.
think we did that one.

Brian

I
OP Offline
I
It was a Black Country Inn pub.

I was drinking porter.You were drinking something hoppy can't remember what.

They say beer kills brain cells... crazy

I did pub crawl in Galway in 2001 with my Dad when he was alive.
think we did that one.

Brian
Whatever it was it was good I now throw down the gauntlet and say me , you and Garry will have to do a bike event together (I trust your recovery is going well) Btw Should be on footy thread but I've managed to procure a ticket for us against the red shite in the Merseyside Derby Can't wait. 4 October Week before me and Gazza fly the flag for Velomatic in L'Epica. Not the perfect training schedule, I know.

Davy - isn't there another bike ride in your neck of the woods earlier in the year? Springtime I think.

PS - if you like really hoppy ales as I do, Truman's Zephyr is really good, and there's a new South London mob called Late Knights who produce one called Beatnik it's a light 3.8 % or thereabouts and really hoppy

I
OP Offline
I
Good talking to you and thanks for waking me up becausre if you hadn't I would have missed an appointmemtat 11 over here
Anyway, I've checked L'Eroica this year it's 4th October ;I get the distinct impression that they keep them a week apart so you should get yourself a flight to Pisa next year (Or london city- Florence)
as I said on the phone La Mitica the one dedicated to fausto Coppi and starting in his home village (similar to Alice Bel Colle) has had 3 editions so far nd it has Always been the last Sunday in June.

Yep, got to chat to you n all. Like you say, L'Eroica is the big one, perhaps too big - but LA Mitica looks good. Might be worth keeping an eye on the website early next year: http://www.lamitica.it/home.php

Brian - La Mitica: June, L'Epica: Sept/Oct - could you possibly make either of these?

September/October is more likely but I have other things to overcome.

June is out with birthday and holiday commitments.

My knee is still quite stiff and hurts still when I do just 10 miles.

I managed to trip last Saturday night on the way back from the Bewdley beer festival and badly cut my bad knee and burned the skin off the are that was stitched.
I currently have healing gel mesh dressing thing attached to the new wound.

How many miles/kilometres are we talking and over how long?

Is it just a weekend?

I need to know I can do the distance.

Oh and I need to ask the wife...

Brian

I
OP Offline
I
The shortest option is near where I live , Always last Sunday in June , but obviously a non.stasrter for you . The one Garry and me do is between 75and 80 k contains some serious climbing and about 15k of gravel tracks over intermittemt sections ;No mountain bikes allowed I'm afraid It's a joy to do in terms of scenery , spectacle , effort and wine consumption ! Don't take my word for it , ask our resident Hotspur. Usually late Sept/early Oct

I
OP Offline
I
I'm sure we'll spaeak before but I'll mention it here INNER TUBES Try and bring some over My old Bianchi no longer has a tubeless tyre set uo. The first epica I punctured twice within one kilometre and you'll probably remember I was the first to puncture 3 years ago I've had 2 consecutive ones without any !

Right - INNER TUBES! Got it!

Don't forget the year after your puncture at the start, I had two in the space of ten minutes!

I
OP Offline
I
Right - INNER TUBES! Got it!

Don't forget the year after your puncture at the start, I had two in the space of ten minutes!

alright mate Just about to ring you Are you in ? I wanted to propose a euro/sterling deal cutting out the middleman , the thieving banks. In other news I booked my flight for our last (home) game against Norwich 15 May !I know thoise scumbags at Sky can't change it

I
OP Offline
I
Well just 10 days to go and The Radler and I shall be battling for Team Metamatic in the Epica peloton against the likes of Tinkoff Talking Heads and Movistar One Direction Quite interesting that both Liam and Niall were unwilling to supply urine samples last week !

to use another sporting analogy " Removes helmet and raises bat towards the Denis Leigh Pavilion upon completion of century*

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/01/15 05:44 AM.
Ivan - I bet you're a happy bunny tonight! Brenda has left the building! laugh

Last edited by RadioBeach; 10/04/15 09:19 PM.
Yesterday's game was frustrating to watch. A lot of people thought this was our best chance to get a first derby win in five years against the old enemy.

We took a while to get into the game and then conceded a sloppy goal. After getting the equaliser we thought we could go on and win the game. We just didn't create enough chances to win it though.

A chance blown but at least the defence did ok considering three of our first choice defenders were missing!

I
OP Offline
I
Ivan - I bet you're a happy bunny tonight! Brenda has left the building! laugh

Yes indeed Brenda . Moysey and ancelotti will be forming the "We hate Goodison " group on Facebook All sacked after playing at The Old Lady of Liverpool 4

I
OP Offline
I
Radler, The Bianchi has just been retrieved fronm the cellar 2 years of confinement I felt really guilty Anyway been cleaned up , oiled and tyres are now nice and firm . Metamatic are go for Sunday !

Cool! Wo-hoo!

I've just been looking at things to do in Milan. Never mind the cathedral- there's only a bleedin' Bianchi Cafe nearby! laugh

I
OP Offline
I
Cool! Wo-hoo!

I've just been looking at things to do in Milan. Never mind the cathedral- there's only a bleedin' Bianchi Cafe nearby! :D

Nice one ! Enjoy. I have never been

Hey Ivan - I'm typing this up in your front room! smile

Many thanks to you, Mrs Basso, Miss Basso and Bijou for a brilliant holiday - cheers!

Here's the photos of L'Epica - including our victory speech. Velomatic rules!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hoodlum_scientist/

laugh

Nice one, chaps...! Team Metamatic on the podium yet again.

What's in yer goodie bags?

I
OP Offline
I
Glad you enjoyed yourself. Great seeing them photies not even 24 hours ago Brilliant stuff

"Piacenza , vi ringrazio !"

I
OP Offline
I
Captain Ivan in action 7th picture in, number 275

http://www.granfondoepica.it/index.php/n...3?page_id=6255/

Radler, the photos are up but I'm struggling to pick us out Maybe you can do better than me

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/18/15 07:23 PM.
Brilliant! laugh

I
OP Offline
I
Radler , get on this ! Mate of mine has opened this, I went for a Don Revie there last night. It will most definitely be a port of call when you are next over

http://www.bikebaralessandria.com/

Aw guv! That looks brilliant! Yes - definitely!

I
OP Offline
I
Radler . I believe your flights are sorted.I've just booked the hotel. Same one as last time . The Velomatic peloton will reach the starting line in tip- top condition

Wo-hoo!

Yep - flights sorted, just need to ride myself into oblivion for a few more weeks and I should be in that 'tip-top condition'*

*just need to stay away from chip shops and pubs and I'll be fine! eek

give up chips and pubs.Nah will never happen grin

Brian

give up chips and pubs.Nah will never happen grin

Brian

I know! They've only gone and opened up a posh chip shop near where I live n all! http://www.suttonandsons.co.uk/

Had some on the way home last night - top chips! laugh

I
OP Offline
I
One week exactly and Velomatic will be back in action .Our sponsor "Choice Cutz" (A Chorley butcher's shop) have pulled out so we are strapped for cash but I know our fellow Foxxheads will help us out
All donations to be sent to
I Basso
A/C 0074200900
Carribean Bank
Cayman Islands

This event will be shown exclusively live on Foxx Tv next Sunday The programme it replaces "Fractal Album Covers Through The Ages " has been rescheduled for Tuesday 11 October at 2130 H GMT so fret not !

So to quote the great philospher R Geldof "Giz der fookin' munney !"

Membs, you can pay in Euro too !

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/02/16 07:05 AM.

Much as I would savour an engagement in such philanthropy, your disappointing news about the fractal cover special, to which I was very much looking foward, has fair made me go ga-ga. My refusal is furthermore fuelled by a strong suspicion that such funding would be squandred on "beer" and other such "refreshments".

I shall therefore decline your offer and furthermore cancel my subscription to Foxx TV forthwith!

Nevertheless I wish Team Metamatic well in this most noble of sporting ventures.

(Now where did I put that leaflet advertising Numan TV, with free access to the lost 1988 docu-flick "The Metal Rhythm Years"?)

I
OP Offline
I

My refusal is furthermore fuelled by a strong suspicion that such funding would be squandred on "beer" and other such "refreshments".

So cynical for one so young !

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/02/16 06:45 PM.

Shhh! I'm trying to watch "The Making of 'Outland'- the Electro-pop Dystopia made real" ..

Now get on yer bikes 'n' ride!

I
OP Offline
I
It's that time of year again.Another four and as half weeks, and The Radler and I shall be selflessly mounting our velocipedes to fly the flag for Velomatic. The Chorley butcher hass once again reneged on its sponsorship promise So feel free to make your donations Same Cayman Islands bank account indicated two posts back .

I better start doping...

I
OP Offline
I
I better start doping...

The only doping you need is Gutturnio It's on offer at half price at the local supermarket so I guess I'll have the edge on you !

Boom! laugh

I
OP Offline
I
Well The Radler and I completed our 8th/6th Epica respectively in record time Sum total of zero punctures and a totally gorgeous day you cannot ask for better than that Much vino was consumed and the Metamatic Flag was proudly flying . Your donations are taking their time to reach my account in The Cayman Islands , but once they are there we're gonna party like it's 1999!

Well done Ivan and Rads.

Sounds like a fun time had by all. Glad to see you were flying the Metamatic flag on our behalf.

By the way, how did you end up living in such a fantastic part of the world?

I
OP Offline
I
Rads on the off chance you read this I put the Bianchi in for a service just before To save using industrial lasnguage I won't translate what my friendly neighbourhood bike mechanic said , let's just say he thought the bike was set up for a veldrome rather than the road in his humble opinion. Main alteration front pinion (Big cog sprocket) gaskets and brake r-ewiring also required He rounded it off to 100 euro will be ready on Tuesday

I
OP Offline
I
Yo The Radler ! I've sent you photographic evidence via Whattsap of our enhanced and serviced beloved Bianchi is starting to be like Cher above 60 per cent of its original self ! New front and back sprockets , much better for climbing, new derailleur and bracket New straps for the pedal cages All in all 131 euro (see photie of receipt) he knocked it down to 120 and kept the old pieces A job well done You can give it a spin on Saturday I cycled it the half mile back to mine and it went like a dream Back brake stiff as he also changed the brake blocks and cables I took it immediately back but he said it will slacken with use or the cables can be slackened

ps new chain as well

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 02/13/18 03:46 PM.
Cheers Ivan!

And cheers for putting up with me too! grin

You'll find some of the pictures from our adventures here!

https://www.instagram.com/gazmatik/

Yep - the bike is in great shape now!

I
OP Offline
I
Pleasure to have you Radler A most proficuous weekend Good food Good company Good skiing and bike action 9,97/10 The only downside, "my" ommission in The Campionissimo Museum They shall be hearing from my lawyers !

Dodgy link above btw not working

I
OP Offline
I
Radler Spoken to the lovely Michela. October 14 !!! Hotel booked Ch4eck your Whatsapp yer lazy get !!!!
Velomatic will ride again !

I
OP Offline
I
It is now official Radler !

http://www.granfondoepica.it/

I
OP Offline
I
Velomatic proudly flew the flag in Southern Switzerland last Sunday Pictures 89/90 your truly picture 118 The Radler and I

https://www.carlpx.com/Belvedere-2019/

Well done lads.

I was in Switzerland myself in July - Basel, Zurich and Lucerne. I had a far more relaxing time though.

I
OP Offline
I
Hope you had a good one Andy tI is a pity we couldn't rope you in while you were over Garry over again in October for L Epica (my tenth his eighth ) The following week ,ever the self harmer, I am flying over to see the "mighty"* Blues play West Ham

*inverted commas de rigeur !

Yes had a good one thanks Ivan.

Let's hope our form continues to improve. Some away wins would be good!

I
OP Offline
I
Yet another great day on the bikes last sunday. Great riding. Great scenery- Great company. Great food and drink.

I
OP Offline
I
Hello everyone Managed to machete my way through the overgrowth and the tumble weed on here . The Sunday before last My faithful gregario , or domestique as you say in English , Radler and I were flying the Metmatic Flag at Castellania , the birth place of arguably the greatest cyclist ever , Fausto Coppi A great day both off and on the bike

Approaching the feeding station in Tortona

https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/...dbUXdJXtb/gallery/9fZ-dBe0QiWA5pOSB4ixCw
https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/...dbUXdJXtb/gallery/aZT68GZxSyGWHi01w4fxLw

Signing in

https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/...KFT7eibRuckKPryA?sort=sortOldestToNewest

Ivan , King of the Mountains

https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/...zWTIGHeA1IOgQK1w?sort=sortOldestToNewest

Hurrah for team Metamatic! .. or should that be MITICA-MATIC?

A sterling effort by our Foxxian-comrades. And plenty of pink hankie waving devotchkas along the way to cheer you on, plus a freebie paper bag. What's not to like?

I
OP Offline
I
Came back on here for poignant musical reasons(see above) might as well update you very belatedly with the Velomatic venture in Southern Switzerland late August . A very late hello to Membs (only five months !)

Ivan https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=528899242369798&set=a.528906412369081
Radler https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=528899782369744&set=a.528906412369081

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 11/30/22 10:01 PM.
Thanks for the, er, update ... but some friendly faces there to bring us some winter cheer.

A propos
.. I heard about some famous veteran Italian cyclist tragically killed this week while on a ride?

I
OP Offline
I
Yes. Davide Rebellin. Hit by a lorry Instant death apparently .

I
OP Offline
I
Hope you all had good summer Me and Radler have been flying the flag for Velomatic North West Italy in June Southern Switzerland a couple of weeks back

Killer climb Ivan

https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/e0hjorReUMu3zHK8l39rgyTTSLmFyn9dNThVN96Vyw3
Radler on the left in sky Blue we both got to wearthe vlegendary Fausto Coppi's first team jersey

https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/e0hjorReUMu3zHK8l39rgyTTSLmFyn9dNThVN96Vyw3

Prize winner Radio Beach

https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/KGsbVRQV7oOkxSmjpiqLaZpQAln9fGwAtAF0YHzaqQr
Metamatic sharing the stage with their Brazilian pals

Wellying the vino post race

Mendrisio Switzerland

Velomatic with 2011 Tour de France winner Cadel Evans

https://labelvedere.org/foto-2023/

I
OP Offline
I

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 09/02/23 06:41 PM.
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.