Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22
#36525 03/19/11 12:38 PM
Mine just arrived!

#36526 03/19/11 03:12 PM
The last time I was genuinely excited about a John Foxx release was back in 2006 with From Trash and Sideways. Everything since then just hasn't been for me in most cases. So a return to song-based electronica with stunning vocals is long overdue - and it has been worth the wait.

So far I've only played it twice. It's very good. And very different compared to what John has done in the past with Louis.

FIRST impressions - Shatterproof, Catwalk, Evergreen, Summerland and A Falling Star are the standout tracks for me. The vocals are flawless throughout, especially on the title track.

The best John Foxx vocals on any album? Quite possibly.

The overall sound and style of the synths on the album echo Trans-Europe Express era Kraftwerk and early Depeche Mode rather than say, SoR or Metamatic.

Although there are no disappointing tracks on the album I have to say I preferred the original version of Destination - it's still a bit like the odd-one-out on the album. This revised version just sounds somehow clunky. And The Good Shadow doesn't do anything for me at all - it would have been much more accessible without the vocorder vocal effect thingy. I was hoping for more out of that particular track.

The artwork surprised me - the pictures of 1980s-style server rooms! Huh?! They do look like something out of Tron. But it's a fun, colourful package; I like the colours and typography - another Barnbrook classic!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray

I'll formulate a more thorough review for Quiet City when I've had time to digest the album and explore the songs a little more.

Is it too early to nominate it for album of the year?

#36527 03/19/11 04:29 PM
Got my copy today as well, after postman had been once, so almost a special delivery!
Just slipped it into the CD player and am enjoying Shatterproof, I feel all of a quiver, its so far just fantastic, cannot wait to hear rest of it, maybe I should post this after listening to entire album, but am too excited!

42mins and 43 seconds later and WOW, love it all, the new version of Destination is great too and I thought Evergreen sounded familiar, then I remembered the download of it, just great.

Now, can we have a vinyl version please.

#36528 03/20/11 06:50 PM
N
N
Haven't played it yet. Too busy ogling the artwork laugh

#36529 03/20/11 09:15 PM
I received my copy yesterday morning but only got to listen to it tonight. I'm blown away. This really is a fantastic album.

John's vocals and lyrics are as good as ever and the instrumenation is excellent. Standout tracks for me on first listen are
Catwalk,Evergreen,Summerland,Interplay and A Falling Star.Although there aren't any tracks that I dislike. I really do hope that more people get to hear this album than John's usual fanbase.

#36530 03/21/11 03:27 PM
N
N
My album review : Corking tunes, arrangements and serious LOW bass smile

#36531 03/21/11 04:03 PM
Received my copy today. (DIGIPAK)
Unfortunately, I didn't check my pigeonhole until late this afternoon. frown

I browsed through the tracks, and was impressed until I got to Destination. Then I was blown away!

Bloody Hell! Wow! Didn't see THAT coming..

EPIC.

#36532 03/21/11 07:51 PM
Could'nt resist the iTunes purchase. Very impressed by this album,very!

Dark,dirty and venomous in places.

Its a shame theres no digital booklet with the iTunes, but I'll be purchasing a physical copy too.

Any chance of vinyl?

#36533 03/21/11 08:28 PM
F
F
Dammit...I am getting seriously annoyed here...Interplay-less laugh

#36534 03/21/11 08:57 PM
Well what can I add that's not already been wrote. I looked forward to this album for a long time and it's been well worth the wait.

This Album is brilliant, best thing from John (And Benge) in years. John's voice is outstanding.

For me the outstanding track and it's been mentioned about being to short is The Good Shadow. It's over barely before it's started.

If anyone is doubting about buying Interplay, don't delay.

10 out of 10 for Interplay.

Peter smile

Page 16 of 22 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 21 22

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.