Metamatic
Posted By: Rob Harris Interplay - 01/05/11 09:44 AM
The track-listing to the forthcoming John Foxx and The Maths album Interplay is as follows...

01. Shatterproof
02. Catwalk
03. Evergreen
04. Watching A Building On Fire
05. Interplay
06. Summerland
07. The Running Man
08. A Falling Star
09. Destination
10. The Good Shadow

Track 04, Watching A Building On Fire, features Mira Aroyo from Ladytron.

The album will be released by Metamatic Records on Monday the 21st of March, 2011.

Rob
Posted By: Your Shadow Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 09:47 AM
Great stuff Rob. I can't wait!!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 10:39 AM
Excellent news! cool
Been looking forward to this one for a long time!
Posted By: MikeG Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 12:53 PM
Excellent news indeed.

21st March is quite a busy day, with The Human League releasing Credo as well.
Posted By: Shadow Man Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 01:56 PM
smile
Posted By: nightporter Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 05:12 PM
great news looking forward to this
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 05:27 PM
So many great titles for songs on the album, I'm really looking forward to hearing this work after its period of being finalised.

I'm one of the few people to say here that I was a bit unmoved by some of the tracks played live at the Roundhouse, I'm hoping that come the release of Interplay that I will be hanging my head with shame at my previous stance shocked smile
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
So many great titles for songs on the album
... except The Good Shadow. Not sure why, but as a John Foxx song title it just doesn't work for me :rolleyes:
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Quote:
[b] So many great titles for songs on the album
... except The Good Shadow. Not sure why, but as a John Foxx song title it just doesn't work for me :rolleyes: [/b]
I think its a bit 'In Mysterious Ways' as a title, and I actually thought that it was supposed to be called Good Shadow, as if from an old saying or proverb perhaps: "remember to take your good shadow with you".
I was really dismayed to see the inclusion of 'The' before it, which changes the emphasis of its potential meaning!
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 07:16 PM
Quote:
So many great titles for songs on the album, I'm really looking forward to hearing this work after its period of being finalised.

I'm one of the few people to say here that I was a bit unmoved by some of the tracks played live at the Roundhouse, I'm hoping that come the release of Interplay that I will be hanging my head with shame at my previous stance shocked smile
I agree. New material is often hard to take in at a gig and this section, while interesting, felt slightly underwhelming apart from Destination which sounded awesome to me that night, and awesome for the first time.

By the way, are all of the Maths songs played at the Roundhouse included in this tracklisting?
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 07:20 PM
Yay cool ,great to see a date finally

01. Shatterproof
03. Evergreen
05. Interplay
08. A Falling Star

Were not played at the Roundhouse
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 07:47 PM
Quote:

I was really dismayed to see the inclusion of 'The' before it, which changes the emphasis of its potential meaning!
Dismayed? That's a bit dramatic!! :p

But then again, it does now have the feel of a comic book superhero feel about it, which is very fitting. Foxxy saves the world!
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 08:36 PM
And, below is the front cover artwork for the John Foxx and The Maths album Interplay...

Rob
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 08:59 PM
Oh my God, if I'm allowed to say it, that cover for Interplay is f**king gorgeous.

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Dismayed? That's a bit dramatic!! :p

But then again, it does now have the feel of a comic book superhero feel about it, which is very fitting. Foxxy saves the world! [/b]
laugh

Okay, maybe dismayed was a tad 'everythings gone green in a nuclear way', I'm downgrading it now to 'slightly perturbed' laugh but can you imagine 'the drama' amongst the hardcore electro-foxx fans on here when the album is released in March, (there were over 60 visitors at one point to the forum earlier this evening, the technomob is becoming active) best avoid the high streets, there will most likely be a riot.

I like your suggestion that The Good Shadow has the feel of the name of a classic comic-book hero - yet more retro-futurism rears its head!
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
And, below is the front cover artwork for the [b]John Foxx and The Maths album Interplay...

Rob [/b]
Looks good,very different from a Foxx cover.

Did I read a Barnbrook tweet saying he was doing the cover?

Does remind of part of an upside down ATV TV ident a little bit though:-

http://625.uk.com/tv_logos/flash/atv_in_colour_1.asp
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 09:18 PM
It is by jonathan barnbrook, yes.

Absolutely stunning in its simple complexity.
And colour.

And brilliant use of typography as you'd expect.

I agree F**king gorgeous just about covers it cool
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 10:03 PM
Quote:
And, below is the front cover artwork for the [b]John Foxx and The Maths album Interplay...

Rob [/b]
Oh that's cute! Like Brian says - very ATV cool

Hope it's on a t-shirt by April (hint hint)
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 10:30 PM
Oh No! Don't like that at all. Yeuch.
Posted By: fons Re: Interplay - 01/05/11 11:22 PM
eek --{where's the grey suit?}
I'm sure it'll be splendid, Catwalk and Destination on it cool
Posted By: Lele Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 05:10 AM
Is it a Venn diagram using swollen heart shapes? I think some type was left off — what is it supposed to be diagramming? Maybe if I knew what the components and overlaps represent, I might dislike it less. I am looking forward to the music but I have to say I don't care for the cover art one bit. It looks like the result of an hour spent on a create-your-own-instant-logo website or something — in fact, it reminds me of a company ID that you would see on boxed reams of paper or in the corner of an energy corporation's magazine ad. As far as selling music or piquing my curiosity, it would not call out enticingly to me from a sales rack if I didn't know anything about it beforehand.

Still, I am sure that if all the tunes on it are spanking good I will get past the cheap-looking cover art.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 09:31 AM
It's not to my taste at all, although I do like the idea of something colourful and simplistic; it makes a change.

Maybe it's that heart shape that puts me off - once you see it, it's all you see.

However it certainly is very different to any other Foxx album or what I was expecting – and I maybe the way it is printed/finished will play a big part in its overall impact. Unless it's just printed in CMYK on bog standard paper, which would be so incredibly drab for such a colourful piece.

I suppose the blending 'interplay' of the colours are representative of many a Foxx lyric. I can imagine it looking quite iconic and standing out on the shelves... if there are any music shops left by the time it comes out!

At least it feels fresh and new... and retro at the same time.
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lele:
it reminds me of a company ID that you would see on boxed reams of paper or in the corner of an energy corporation's magazine ad. As far as selling music or piquing my curiosity, it would not call out enticingly to me from a sales rack if I didn't know anything about it beforehand.
laugh

Its interesting the effect that its having Lele.

Whereas it might look like an easily arrived at image produced by a cheap software program, purporting to represent something - and I can see that - I think that very quality about it is a typical and acceptable design hook.

It's reminiscent of a 50's or 60's animated public information or scientific promotional film, thus tying in with Barnbrooks established use of retro media imagery. There is an air of mystery about it in a playful way, its not deep of course, but its certainly enough to draw me in

I'm enjoying the fact that we've moved away a notch from the mostly monochrome look that's become something of an identity for John's covers. Of course Interplays 'colour divided shell company style logo' is still on a black background, but never mind, maybe Interplay 2 will end up with a garish neon colour, just like those tacky 'sale' price cut-outs with the pointy edges that used to block out supermarket windows once upon a time eek laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 09:59 AM
Maybe Johnathan can tell us a bit about the brief for this project - I'd be curious to hear that smile
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 10:49 AM

That'll make a great T-shirt..
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 11:07 AM
Usually, I get the pre-order message from Townsend BEFORE the blog posting..
Come on guys - get yer finger out!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 11:10 AM
For me, it really does say 'interplay' and connectivity.

This kind of 'diagrammatic' visual represents a lot of aspects of John's career in the way I see it.
Albums, projects and ideas all linking together, overlapping and standing alone, creating interesting and innovative 'colours' where they overlap and merge with one another.

On a wider context too, you could put John Foxx in the yellow central space, and surround him with different musical genres and influences.

It's a very analogue idea too (like Brian's ATV logo analogy), which fits nicely with the whole concept of The 'Maths'. Mathematics into art

Look at the graphic device/logo for this website... METAMATIC.

I think the cover artwork is very cool indeed and well thought out.
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 11:28 AM
Hmm. New Order. Power Corruption and Lies.. (inner sleeve)
or Blue Monday 12" (original release)
Peter Saville

Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 01:57 PM
Quote:
For me, it really does say 'interplay' and connectivity.

This kind of 'diagrammatic' visual represents a lot of aspects of John's career in the way I see it.
Albums, projects and ideas all linking together, overlapping and standing alone, creating interesting and innovative 'colours' where they overlap and merge with one another.

On a wider context too, you could put John Foxx in the yellow central space, and surround him with different musical genres and influences.

It's a very analogue idea too (like Brian's ATV logo analogy), which fits nicely with the whole concept of The Maths.

Look at the graphic device/logo for this website... METAMATIC.

I think the cover artwork is very cool indeed and well thought out.
Totally agree with Martin on this one.It's just 4 ellipses overlaid in colours.Venn diagrams were part of my old school Maths lessons.
Colours Interplay.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. cool

It's brilliant simplicity.

God help the colour blind though... eek

Brian
Posted By: Shadow Man Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 02:28 PM
You can find those kind of artwork on some covers of other CD's too. I guess it's modern.
But it's not my taste.

I'm sure the music on Interplay is great. This is much more important for me.
Posted By: Craig Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 03:04 PM
The cover fits in with the article in Sunday Times Style mag this week, which references Barnbrook and John - have started a thread in John Foxx section for more info (Martin - this will interest you I know!)
Cheers
Posted By: MikeG Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Brian
Quote:
God help the colour blind though...
That would be me then. I was thinking there was a nice variety of shades of grey laugh
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
The cover fits in with the article in Sunday Times Style mag this week, which references Barnbrook and John - have started a thread in John Foxx section for more info (Martin - this will interest you I know!)
Cheers
I have put the Style Section in my recycling bin in my shed since I've not had chance to read it,will fish it out and investigate.

Brian
Posted By: metal beat Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 05:50 PM
I love the Artwork. OK it does remind me of the old ATV logo though.

Also the logo reminds me of some socks that I own, those who've met me can testify. cool cool

I'm looking forward to owning/hearing a totally new album from John and the Maths and the tracks I've already heard are anything to go by, then I'm not going to be dissapointed.

Peter
Posted By: Brigid Re: Interplay - 01/06/11 10:12 PM
For some reason, the artwork reminds me of an old bit on Sesame Street on geometry--with music by Philip Glass. Maybe it's all the colors and interlocking shapes...
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/07/11 07:42 AM
LOL! Peter, I'm guessing John Foxx must have seen your socks at a gig and taken inspiration for the sleeve idea from them!!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 01/07/11 11:21 AM
I really like the cover design, very fresh and colourful, just whats needed after all the monochrome and the left over from The seventies and /or Metamatic artwork.
...plus someone won't be able to make the quip that "all his covers are the same.." wink
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/07/11 11:29 AM
Well, it's not a John Foxx solo album. It's a collaboration. A band. A new direction. Sort of.
Posted By: Craig Re: Interplay - 01/07/11 01:22 PM
Like the image but not keen on typeface, and changing colours on the type. Dare I say that grey would have been a better colour?
Cheers
Posted By: MikeG Re: Interplay - 01/07/11 08:07 PM
I thought it was grey :p
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Interplay - 01/07/11 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig:
Like the image but not keen on typeface, and changing colours on the type. Dare I say that grey would have been a better colour?
Cheers
I really like the changing colours on the type, but then we have already established a few years back that our artistic tastes are slightly different (I'm talking Buffalo here wink )

The sleeve also reminds me of Pet Shop Boys "Yes" and Depeche Mode "Sounds of the Universe" (the limited editions in each case). It is a beautiful simple design and as others have said, nice to have something a little different although as soon as I say that though I want a Foxx image instead! smile
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Interplay - 01/13/11 05:02 PM
The forthcoming John Foxx and The Maths album Interplay is now available to pre-order via Townsend Records . There's also a special 'multi-buy' where you can buy the Album & T-Shirt together.

Please note that if you order the Interplay album through Townsend Records you'll also receive an edited version of the track Evergreen.

Rob
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/13/11 05:22 PM
Rob, any images of the T-Shirt available at all, how is the Interplay graphic positioned on the item, what size, etc?

I take it the Evergreen edit is a digital download, and in what way does it differ to the album version?
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 01/13/11 05:36 PM
I've just ordered and downloaded.The download is shorter than the album version according to John's twitter:-

http://twitter.com/foxxmetamedia

Brian
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 01/13/11 07:22 PM
Think I'll be waiting until the album is released.

'Pre-ordering' isn't for me, unless I can persuade them to leave the money in the bank until the album is actually available... frown
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/13/11 10:48 PM
Not sure what the real point of pre-ordering is... it's not like they're going to run out of copies on the first day!

I'll probably order it closer to the time.

I hope it will be available via other online retailers as well as, maybe the sole existing music shop...
Posted By: Furniture Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 04:15 AM
I love EVERGREEN!!!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 11:47 AM
Evergreen preview on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQdEW-18QQ
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 12:11 PM
It would be helpful to see an image of the t-shirt. Is the "Maths keyboard motif" different to the colourful hearty thing on thealbum cover?
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
It would be helpful to see an image of the t-shirt. Is the "Maths keyboard motif" different to the colourful hearty thing on the album cover?
I believe that this...

... is the T-Shirt being referred to.

It can be found here on the Townsend Records site.

Rob
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 01:18 PM
Thanks Rob!
Posted By: solenoid Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 01:37 PM
Liking what I hear. Is this the follow up album to Metamatic? (i.e, in the way I feel that 'The Garden' is the follow up to 'Systems of Romance')

Bring it on, and may I be blessed with ability to be in UK in April!!!
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Evergreen preview on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQdEW-18QQ
thanks for posting MemberD.

I totally love Evergreen.

Its gonna be in my head all day now.

The rhythm and the singing are gloriously in the style of Annexe and This Jungle

Cheers John for taking us into that leafy sunlit lane once again.

Roll on the springtime smile
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 02:14 PM
I've always viewed The Pleasures of Electricity and the closest follow-up to Metamatic (not that it warrants one!).

I'd say Interplay isn't the follow-up to anything but a stand alone album in it's own right at the start of a new direction and collaboration, maybe.
Posted By: solenoid Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
I love the Artwork. OK it does remind me of the old ATV logo though.

Also the logo reminds me of some socks that I
Spot on!!
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
Liking what I hear. Is this the follow up album to Metamatic? (i.e, in the way I feel that 'The Garden' is the follow up to 'Systems of Romance')

Bring it on, and may I be blessed with ability to be in UK in April!!!
The Bassline on Evergreen is very like Underpass so that did kind of occur to me as well.

Roll on Feb & April laugh
Posted By: fons Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 02:40 PM
Pre-ordered the album and got my hands on Evergreen as well.
Really like it a lot too!
The only real downside for me is the end of the song, the sudden end doesnt do it for me really.
Nevertheless another fine addition to the already heard tracks of Interplay cool
Posted By: solenoid Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 03:02 PM
Quote:
I've always viewed The Pleasures of Electricity and the closest follow-up to Metamatic (not that it warrants one!).

I'd say Interplay isn't the follow-up to anything but a stand alone album in it's own right at the start of a new direction and collaboration, maybe.
Ok. Spritual successor?

I think there are style links connecting certain threads of JF's style - I find them very interesting, and very compelling!
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 05:23 PM
I'm still enjoying the preview.

Stick a lovely echoey guitar or two on Evergreen and it could easily have been a single released post-Metamatic and pre-The Garden era in the same way the Miles Away single was.

Having said that though, I don't think there's anything remotely 'retro' about Evergreen and it's more forward-looking rather than a nod back to any previous work.
A confident slice of 'pop' synth with no froth to it at all.

Its melodic pulse should make me think that it owes something to the beatlesque or kraftwerkian influence that Johns previously looked to in his work, but to his credit its not coming through. Its altogether a different flow to the Foxx/Louis electro, and although its not overly-textured it has a fuller sound to some of the more basic layout or harsh synth of earlier Foxx and Gordon works (although the remastered albums of that era eventually gave a richer impression).

I like this shift that's taken place, its not too subtle and its not too obvious either.

Having heard some of the Interplay tracks at the Roundhouse gig, one impression that I was left with back then was that the album was not going to feel consistent, the tracks seemed quite varied in style. I'm wondering now if they will have been tweaked slightly to travel a little more in the same direction, and if the 'key' that Evergreen resides in is a good indicator of what we might expect of the final sound in the forthcoming album.
Posted By: The Quiet Trees Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 05:47 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] It would be helpful to see an image of the t-shirt. Is the "Maths keyboard motif" different to the colourful hearty thing on the album cover?
I believe that this...

... is the T-Shirt being referred to.

It can be found here on the Townsend Records site.

Rob [/b]
That's a cool enough t-shirt, but I would really like one with the Interplay design on.

Please? Pretty please? smile
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 07:03 PM
Is that the best image there is???

I'd like to see the artwork/image 'in big' (as my kids would say).

Mx
Posted By: nightporter Re: Interplay - 01/14/11 10:47 PM
Pre ordered my copy, love everygreen, great stuff laugh
Posted By: Your Shadow Re: Interplay - 01/15/11 10:59 AM
I've pre-ordered my copy too. I have to say that Evergreen sounds fantastic. One of the best things John has done for years in my opinion. I'm really excited by this release. All bodes well.
Posted By: Shadow Man Re: Interplay - 01/15/11 06:15 PM
Evergreen is a nice track.
Pre - ordered Interplay too. smile
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Interplay - 01/16/11 12:40 PM
"Evergreen" sounds awesome, this album could turn out to be one of John's finest yet.
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/16/11 01:57 PM
Fingers crossed all.

There's a real sense of excitement coming through the posts cool
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Interplay - 01/16/11 11:24 PM
Pre-ordered and...well...Blimey Guv...

I've not seen this amount of speculation/love/hype/andgeneralwell-being about a new release since...hmmmm...dunno...Protection?...Blue Lines?...insert name of an extraordinary album here.

That's not to be cynical - I'm just talking about the weight of expectation on this album.

Mind you, that's not our fault per se.

Those of us who went to the Roundhouse last year, and then watched and re-watched Brian's wonderful Youtube clips of various tracks coupled with stuff like September Town* and Everegreen...well...it's practically the Third Summer of Metamatic Love...innit? wink

I feel kinda distant to the whole project - maybe because the gestation has been so long. But I also feel so close to it too; because I heard, up close and personal, versions of Watching A Building On Fire and The Good Shadow - weird situation.

Interplay promises so much adventure; because it's the promise of Foxx's 1980, re-programmed by someone almost half his age for 2011.

And that has got to be a good thing.

Oh Yes.

I'd of ordered the t-shirt version but they ran out of M cool

Postscript -

There are some people out there who are fed up of collaborators.

Well - I'd like to present a well reasoned argument...but I can't so I'll just give them a good old fashioned V-Sign and say "B0ll0cks to the lot of 'em!"...

...and on the basis of Evergreen and Proustian rememberences of things past like me being very p!$$ed whilst hearing Watching A Building On Fire and The Good Shadow live at The Roundhouse...I'd like to say...

"Surrender! Surrender infadels to the collaborators!" cool

After all...what's the worst that can happen?**

*I genuinely can't remember the A-Side...

**"A-ha Mr Foxx you have invaded my secret underground lair! A Swiss plastic surgeon worked on me for six months and now - no-one will know the switch that has taken place - and I VILL ROOOL ZE VURLD HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

"So how come you look like the pr!c& out of Slik?"

"HA! Foxx! You are trying to rile me, but my laser beam will rid you of such thoughts! Odd Job! The Laser! Now! So Mr Foxx - do you expect me to talk???"

"No Mr Ure I expect you to die...I have already seen the plans for 'Project U-Vox'; vinyl and plastic will not help you, it will only seal your fate...even if it is designed by Peter Saville..."

"Damn you Foxx! DAMN YOU!!!!!!!"

John Foxx will return in Casino Royale...
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/17/11 10:04 AM
It's send you mad.

And this is before the album is even out!!
Posted By: Brigid Re: Interplay - 01/18/11 11:44 AM
I think there's a lot of buzz about this album for a couple of reasons--at least from an American perspective.

While it's true that we don't have the full album yet, we've heard quite a bit between the singles that have been released and the songs played at the Roundhouse gig. From what's been heard so far, this seems like an album that will appeal more to those who have a great nostalgia for 80s music (I hesitate to say 30-40 somethings, because there is a younger crowd into this as well). Yes, I know some of you will disagree with the idea that this album is "retro", but I would maintain that it is in some respect--I don't think it can avoid a "retro" feel because they're using retro equipment. I can tell you that I've sent links to the clips from this album to different friends, and they have been more excited about this than anything else John has put out in the last 10 years.

I like a lot of what John has put out in the last 10 years, but I think a lot of it has niche appeal. I'm not sure quite how to explain that--he's made a lot of music designed to be played with films he's put together, and other projects often border on the "ambient". (That word is awkward and doesn't really do justice to his work. But it's hard to put a label on what's different). This is the rather long way of saying that Interplay promises to have a broader appeal, outside of John's usual devoted audience. I don't think we have to worry about it being over-hyped; whatever criticism one may have of John's work, it's never sloppy. Everything has to be just right. And one of the most appealing things about his work is that it consists of well-crafted and thoughtful songs regardless of how they're labeled, not cheesy synth-pop that is only appealing when you've been drinking heavily in an 80s nightclub.

(And...just to be clear...I'm not suggesting that those worried about too much hype are accusing John of sloppy or half-baked releases. It's just an observation about his work). cool

The other reason for the buzz would have to be social media. Steve is doing a pretty good job of creating a lot of buzz for this album--he's finally posting more to Twitter, and you're hearing a lot about this in a LOT of different news sources. This is an age where such discussions go viral, so it's not surprising that more people would be talking so much about the album.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how this album sells as compared to others--if all of the hype ends up affecting the actual sales.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 01/18/11 12:25 PM
Can't get onto Townsend .... frown
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Interplay - 01/18/11 12:47 PM
Quote:
Can't get onto Townsend .... frown
Seems OK to me...

Rob
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Interplay - 01/18/11 06:13 PM
Quote:
It's send you mad.

laugh

Not mad!...much... wink

Just enthusiastic for a new Foxx release that I've not witnessed since the 1980s!

I think Brigid said it better than my scribble, but the feeling's the same! cool
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 01/18/11 06:51 PM
New site is up! http://www.johnfoxxandthemaths.com
Posted By: nightporter Re: Interplay - 01/18/11 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
thanks for the link Brian looks great.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 01/19/11 08:20 AM
Quote:
Yeah thanks - looks nice.
Could have made it a bit more social network friendly though with all the various links to fb, twitter and all that (see OMD site) .. all the rage these days...
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 01/19/11 08:51 AM
Quote:
Could have made it a bit more social network friendly though with all the various links to fb, twitter and all that (see OMD site) .. all the rage these days...
Agreed. But a positive start.
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 01/20/11 09:22 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[b]Could have made it a bit more social network friendly though with all the various links to fb, twitter and all that (see OMD site) .. all the rage these days...
Agreed. But a positive start. [/b]
The website is a fairly straightforward Wordpress affair. I checked. It's ridiculously easy to add social media integration. It's also too easy to go overboard. I like the "understatedness".

(I have "a few" Wordpress sites of my own. Why bother hand-coding php when it can be SO much easier?)
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 01/20/11 09:23 AM
Just pre-ordered Interplay.
And downloaded Evergreen. I'm on my eighth play right now. WOW. Excellent!

Can't wait for the album. smile
Posted By: Furniture Re: Interplay - 01/21/11 12:18 AM
What does everyone think of Shatterproof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6hiT5Kgz4k

The jury is still out for me. Sounds like a filler...

I am loving everything else though. My journey to work is just long enough to get Destination, September Town and Evergreen in..

Loving Evergreen!
Posted By: Furniture Re: Interplay - 01/21/11 04:24 AM
After a couple of hours a few listens and turning up the volume my opinion is that its a grower....... eek
Posted By: Furniture Re: Interplay - 01/21/11 04:34 AM
This band needs to come to the US!!!!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 01/21/11 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Furniture:
What does everyone think of Shatterproof.

The jury is still out for me. Sounds like a filler...

a bit scarey ... and perhaps not such a good album opener. But this a remix isn't it?
..not that it matters much..
Posted By: Brigid Re: Interplay - 01/21/11 09:50 AM
Re: Shatterproof: Well, I like it. Of course, much of what I listen to makes this sound about as "scary" as Evergreen. And it didn't even register one alarmed head-turn from the cat, so it can't be that scary... cool
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 01/21/11 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brigid:
Re: Shatterproof: Well, I like it. Of course, much of what I listen to makes this sound about as "scary" as Evergreen. And it didn't even register one alarmed head-turn from the cat, so it can't be that scary... cool
Ok we'll go with the cat then.
laugh
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/21/11 10:09 AM
They're usually right.
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 01/21/11 10:16 AM
I've just noticed that the favicon for the Maths Website is still the default "Wordpress" frown

Ive created a favicon from the meta28cd image here:

http://www.nervejam.com/images/foxx/favicon.ico

[img]http://www.nervejam.com/images/foxx/favicon.ico[/img]
Posted By: solenoid Re: Interplay - 01/22/11 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
[b] It's send you mad.

laugh

Not mad!...much... wink

Just enthusiastic for a new Foxx release that I've not witnessed since the 1980s!

I think Brigid said it better than my scribble, but the feeling's the same! cool [/b]
Interesting post - had we had this forum before the launch of Metamatic (just for arguments sake lets assume we all knew each other in those days) what kind of buzz would there have been? Many of us snotty nosed teenagers. Would have been interesting.

The clips I have heard divide me - I do feel a sense of nostalgia because of the analogue sounds, but at the same time there is such a purity in those sound that I don't recall hearing before. I'm genuinely intrigued, and yes, looking forward to hearing more.

Evergreen sent some very strong signals as I though I had heard it before. The lead in has a touch of similarity to "See no Reason" by a band called Metropolis. That is where the similarity ends (it's a real pop song), but as that song was also from the same era ('82?) that sense of nostalgia was VERY strong.

Roll on March, roll on April! smile
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/22/11 03:15 PM
Quote:
Pre-ordered and...well...Blimey Guv...
Nice deliriously happy post Garry, from which it would appear that:
'Interplay' - 'every packet carries a government health warning', 'prolonged waiting until you get your taste of it may result in complete loss of control, followed by a sense of spiritual awakening...'

Quote:
From what's been heard so far, this seems like an album that will appeal more to those who have a great nostalgia for 80s music (I hesitate to say 30-40 somethings, because there is a younger crowd into this as well). Yes, I know some of you will disagree with the idea that this album is "retro", but I would maintain that it is in some respect--I don't think it can avoid a "retro" feel because they're using retro equipment
Good post Brigid. laugh Retro yes, but Evergreen is like a breath of fresh air for me and doesn't really feel like an old wind blowing this way once more. Its (as John himself said at the time of The Golden Section) a parallel thread where one type of thing never ended but just continued on. Maybe there's something of that lost but valid existence going on with where John's at now with his electro. I sure hope so.

Quote:
I like a lot of what John has put out in the last 10 years, but I think a lot of it has niche appeal
Some work does, yes, ASL, Mirrorball, and the world of Interplay is also on an island, a much larger one, just like all alternative music remains to be unless it connects with the mainland (mainstream). So, c'mon Interplay, give a friendly wave over to ASL and Mirrorball, those smaller dollops of land out on that big blue ocean you all float on laugh

Quote:
Steve is doing a pretty good job of creating a lot of buzz for this album--he's finally posting more to Twitter, and you're hearing a lot about this in a LOT of different news sources...
Its good to know that, and all power to Steve. I really think 'the hype' should continue to be maxed up for this release.

Quote:
Evergreen sent some very strong signals as I though I had heard it before. The lead in has a touch of similarity to "See no Reason" by a band called Metropolis. That is where the similarity ends (it's a real pop song), but as that song was also from the same era ('82?) that sense of nostalgia was VERY strong
I see what you mean Chris, and I really like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZvv6qbR7aY
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 01/22/11 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
I've just noticed that the favicon for the Maths Website is still the default "Wordpress" frown

Ive created a favicon from the meta28cd image here:

http://www.nervejam.com/images/foxx/favicon.ico

[img]http://www.nervejam.com/images/foxx/favicon.ico[/img]
This has been addressed.

The new site now uses a section of the album artwork as its favicon

http://www.johnfoxxandthemaths.com
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/22/11 11:08 PM
Quote:
What does everyone think of Shatterproof

Totally love it! (except for the tiny break near one minute before the end). It's in the key of Cabaret Voltaire's Crackdown or Micro Phonies, but as this is the Medicine Edit it's impossible to say what I'll feel about the album version.
Posted By: solenoid Re: Interplay - 01/23/11 12:49 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Evergreen sent some very strong signals as I though I had heard it before. The lead in has a touch of similarity to "See no Reason" by a band called Metropolis. That is where the similarity ends (it's a real pop song), but as that song was also from the same era ('82?) that sense of nostalgia was VERY strong
I see what you mean Chris, and I really like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZvv6qbR7aY [/QB]
How resourceful you are! This version is so much cleaner than the 19 yr old vinyl copy I have! Still sounds like it is recorded in the front room though! smile

I saw this band in Stevenage at that time, missed the last bus home so started walking the 10-12 miles (km?) back to WGC. Those WERE the days!
Posted By: Furniture Re: Interplay - 01/23/11 03:43 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] What does everyone think of Shatterproof

Totally love it! (except for the tiny break near one minute before the end). It's in the key of Cabaret Voltaire's Crackdown or Micro Phonies, but as this is the Medicine Edit it's impossible to say what I'll feel about the album version. [/b]
I never thought about that. Yes, its an edit and the album version may be different.
Cool.. :p
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 01/24/11 08:56 AM
I see what you mean about the Cabaret Voltaire thing. The Crackdown / Just Fascination was one of my fave 12" singles "back in the day".
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 01/24/11 11:00 AM
Collins and Herring played Evergreen on Saturday's Radio6 show. Nice. Commented "Mmm. Old-fashioned electronics"..

They also played New Life, and Sound of the Crowd.
Good show.

bbc Radio 6
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Interplay - 01/25/11 01:04 PM
Regarding the packaging for the forthcoming album by John Foxx and The Maths...

The first 1500 copies of Interplay will be housed in a special limited edition deluxe digi-pack. This will include the full lyrics, together with a thorough breakdown of all of analogue synthesizer equipment which was used to create the album. This digi-pack will open out into a mathematical sign, and will feature a number of colour images and graphics, all of which were designed by renowned graphic artist Jonathan Barnbrook.

These will be allocated on a 'first come - first served' basis. So if you've already pre-ordered a copy through Townsend Records then you will be in-line to receive a copy of the limited edition deluxe digi-pack. A standard jewel-case edition will also be available.

Rob
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 01/25/11 05:05 PM
RESULT!
Posted By: MikeG Re: Interplay - 01/25/11 08:05 PM
I wasn't really thinking of pre-ordering this early but I succumbed at the mention of a deluxe digi-pack. Yum Yum.

Evergreen is wonderful.

laugh
Posted By: MintyTux Re: Interplay - 01/25/11 08:12 PM
Quote:
Regarding the packaging for the forthcoming album by [b]John Foxx and The Maths...

The first 1500 copies of Interplay will be housed in a special limited edition deluxe digi-pack. This will include the full lyrics, together with a thorough breakdown of all of analogue synthesizer equipment which was used to create the album. This digi-pack will open out into a mathemetical sign, and will feature a number of colour images and graphics, all of which were designed by renowned graphic artist Jonathan Barnbrook.

These will be allocated on a 'first come - first served' basis. So if you've already pre-ordered a copy through Townsend Records then you will be in-line to receive a copy of the limited edition deluxe digi-pack edition. A standard jewel-case edition will also be available.

Rob [/b]
Is it possible to ask for the jewel case version, when ordering .....
I HATE digi packs!!
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/26/11 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MintyTux:
Is it possible to ask for the jewel case version, when ordering .....
I [b]HATE
digi packs!! [/b]
laugh I also hate them, but in this instance I'm eager for that lovely Barnbrook design and packaging.

Only 1500 copies - fret - just how big is that pre-order queue - agony - its only Tuesday and this months wage is still to make its way to the bank - ooh - that temptation to press the 'purchase and be damned button' is so hard to resist...
Posted By: Black Shadow Re: Interplay - 01/26/11 07:01 AM
Pre-ordered my copy immediately after I read the email from Townsend (re: digi-pack), hope I got in just in time. :rolleyes:
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/26/11 08:53 AM
Pre-ordered laugh

I'm enjoying the album version of Shatterproof - on the Quietus Interplay review page
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/26/11 10:26 AM
The packaging ploy worked for me too. "Shatterproof" sounds excellent.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 01/26/11 12:37 PM
Personally, I don't agree with special packaging for first come first served, or even pay more, get different...but that's just me.
Just looking forward to the music.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 01/26/11 01:10 PM
I don't particularly agree with not having a choice of where I can pre-order the album from, and was quite happy to wait a while longer until this persuasive bit of timely information came along...

However, as a designer, I'm interested in the packaging from the design to the finish, especially since I was impressed with Johnathan Barnbrook's work on David Bowie's Heathen and Reality albums. It's an extension of both the design and the music and therefore overall album experience.
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 01/28/11 09:44 PM
Its now available to pre-order on Cargo Records:

http://www.cargorecords.co.uk/release/15007
Posted By: Chris C Re: Interplay - 01/29/11 05:29 PM
My copy's been ordered with Townsend.

It's amazing how analogue sounds are so relevant now.

Chris smile
Posted By: Herbert the turbot Re: Interplay - 02/02/11 12:33 PM
Have to say I wasn't initially particularly excited about this project. I couldn't see the point of John going back to the same old tired analogue sounds of the CR78, Arp Odyssey and so forth; surely he'd been there and done that years ago, and as a forward-thinking artist would be more interested in using modern technology to come up with new songs and sounds. Likewise I knew little about Benge, but for the fact he seems more famous for the instruments he uses than the music he makes. The uninspiring "Destination" single last year seemed to confirm that this project wasn't really for me.

Yet from what I've heard of Evergreen and Shetterproof, it seems I may have been wrong. Both have an energy and enthusiasm we haven't heard from John for quite a while and sound almost contemporary (not that of course I have a clue what contemporary music is supposed to sound like). Maybe I will buy the album after all!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 02/03/11 01:02 PM
Shoredich Exploding Plastic Inevitable
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 02/05/11 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
I couldn't see the point of John going back to the same old tired analogue sounds... he'd been there and done that years ago...
Likewise I knew little about Benge, but for the fact he seems more famous for the instruments he uses than the music he makes.
The uninspiring "Destination" single last year seemed to confirm that this project wasn't really for me... Yet from what I've heard of Evergreen and Shatterproof, it seems I may have been wrong.

Both have an energy and enthusiasm we haven't heard from John for quite a while and sound almost contemporary
I think Interplay (or the idea of it) has become more significant for some of us than we might have expected it to initially be.

Having seen Benge's Twenty Systems album back when it came out (in HMV of all places), I was later surprised to learn of John's acquaintance with him, which then very rapidly became a collaboration, particularly at a time when we'd had, or were having the release of A Secret Life and Mirrorball, though its worth bearing in mind that each of those two works were already old projects when Benge came onto the scene with their actual construction having taken place in a past framework, leaving John looking to move on again along other paths.

I still very much like ASL, but I can't now necessarily expect a continuation of it. I had high hopes that Mirrorball signified a move away from electro, and yes, I really wanted those guitars. I also don't feel any loss for myself when I admit that areas of Mirrorball have become less interesting now for me, namely those tracks which are more specifically linked to the far larger world of John's C.O. style, and for this collaboration I'd rather have had a little more of the Guthrie acoustic touch settling on the powerful Foxx foundations.

So, the strong presence of those two albums left me with less of a context with which to place the prospect of a return to electro on John's part. Benge and the idea of Interplay did not initially grab my attention as much it might have, and Destination failed to encourage me away from the other areas that John's then current collaborative releases had opened up in my mind.

But Evergreen, and Shatterproof (a fantastic opener for the album) are polished yet raw compositions that maintain an air of excitement about them, and as Herbert says, display a real energy. They are also highly catchy tunes to boot, I have gravitated back and forth from Evergreen at one moment, and Shatterproof at another, both going around in my head in a welcome manner making me eager to have an actual shiny CD disc in my hand, like a badge stating: 'this is the kind of music I like', 'and its good stuff'.

These tracks sound contemporary to me in spite of the ingredients making up the pie, that of old instruments and a mature artist, its far from a retro reheat, its much more 'fresh electro',

Future Music Interview, quote:

Benge isn’t fond of explaining things too much, and I can’t really speak for him, but I think he wanted to make a London post-digital electronic band.

Here's to them having succeeded smile And thus, we patiently wait until that pie comes out of the oven, and can all tuck in.
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Interplay - 02/05/11 11:31 AM
Quote:

The uninspiring "Destination" single last year seemed to confirm that this project wasn't really for me... Yet from what I've heard of Evergreen and Shatterproof, it seems I may have been wrong.

Both have an energy and enthusiasm we haven't heard from John for quite a while and sound almost contemporary.

But Evergreen, and Shatterproof (a fantastic opener for the album) are polished yet raw compositions that maintain an air of excitement about them, and as Herbert says, display a real energy. They are also highly catchy tunes to boot, I have gravitated back and forth from Evergreen at one moment, and Shatterproof at another, both going around in my head in a welcome manner making me eager to have an actual shiny CD disc in my hand, like a badge stating: 'this is the kind of music I like', 'and its good stuff'.

And thus, we patiently wait until that pie comes out of the oven, and can all tuck in.
I like your pie image. My own personal pie is still in the deep freeze. I've seen the serving suggestion on the box and have some idea of the cooking requirements (although naturally appliances vary). A shiny disc pie ... hmm.

I haven't heard Evergreen or Shatterproof yet since I would rather wait for the full package. I'm a bit an*l like that. Which might make a remix of Shatterproof a bit difficult for me to attempt!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 02/05/11 01:38 PM
Having heard 3 tracks now from the album (I'd even forgotten Destination was included, as that pales in comparison to Evergreen and Shatterproof), I don't intend to hear any more.

I don't want to have nothing to look forward to hearing for the first time, when the album arrives on my doorstep. Too many spoilers in this internet age!
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Interplay - 02/05/11 08:33 PM
Not keen on the version of "Shatterproof" I have heard but "Evergreen" is excellent. Should be an interesting album.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Interplay - 02/15/11 10:36 PM
VERY Tempted...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/John-Foxx-Maths-In...b#ht_753wt_1141
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 02/16/11 08:05 AM
Quote:
VERY Tempted...

2/ Catwalk (ROckWrok Edit)

eh???? eek
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 02/16/11 09:34 AM
I can almost hear the drool from here!
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Interplay - 02/16/11 09:41 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] VERY Tempted...

2/ Catwalk (ROckWrok Edit)

eh???? eek [/b]
Yeah I wondered about that

Quote:
I can almost hear the drool from here!
laugh
Posted By: Craig Re: Interplay - 02/16/11 04:40 PM
I like the caviate the seller puts at the bottom about 'breaching' any copyright. Yes, mate, the clue's in the description 'promo'! Normally alludes to 'not for resale', is he also selling individual mini cans of coke from a multipack!!
That said, is a nice collectors piece - whoever wins, do me a copy!!! laugh
Cheers
Posted By: MikeG Re: Interplay - 02/17/11 07:03 PM

The auction on this item seems to have ended rather abruptly. I'm guessing someone has explained to the seller the error of his ways.
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 02/17/11 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
auction on this item seems to have ended rather abruptly
perhaps someone contacted the seller with an irresistible offer, I've known sale's to be concluded that way in the past (unless ebay's changed that), I guess we'll never know.

Dear Synth Gods who art high above us in your Analogue Paradise, I humbly ask you to let the rest of us hear what the ROokWrok edit sounds like laugh
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Interplay - 02/18/11 10:41 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[b]auction on this item seems to have ended rather abruptly
Dear Synth Gods who art high above us in your Analogue Paradise, I humbly ask you to let the rest of us hear what the ROokWrok edit sounds like laugh [/b]
Yeah! laugh

But seriously folks - until this eBay thingy - there was no noise of remixes, all that's due at the moment is the album. So does this mean there's going to be a single release? Or a download release?

I ask because Auntie Beeb did a review of Evergreen yesterday so I'm left wondering. In pop music terms, 21st March is the year 2491 when Buck Rogers lands and all space travel is powered by Disco - it's a long way away. Will there be a download release beforehand?
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 02/18/11 11:11 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]auction on this item seems to have ended rather abruptly
Dear Synth Gods who art high above us in your Analogue Paradise, I humbly ask you to let the rest of us hear what the ROokWrok edit sounds like laugh [/b]
Yeah! laugh

But seriously folks - until this eBay thingy - there was no noise of remixes, all that's due at the moment is the album. So does this mean there's going to be a single release? Or a download release?

I ask because Auntie Beeb did a review of Evergreen yesterday
[/b]
What review?,is it online or was it during a Radio Show?
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Interplay - 02/18/11 11:17 AM
Hi Brian,

From the Maths page;

Is all press, good press!? 'Evergreen' is discussed on BBC 6 Music's Roundtable - around 24 Mins 27 secs . . . Thanks to Steve Lamacq though for his ''guv'nor'' comments!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ybxxt
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 02/18/11 11:51 AM
Cheers Mate,

Will give it a listen.

Brian
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 02/18/11 12:17 PM
Had a listen,

Like you say Gazza,well done Mr Lamacq for recognising our Guv'nor which he flipping well is and for ever shall be.

Other reviewers on the show were a bit miserable about it.

Rose Elinor Dougal liked it the most.

Last saw her making analogue noises playing keyboards supporting & singing with Mark Ronson last year in Brum so not surprised she liked it.

Trouble with most reviewers today they just don't know or appreciate music history.

Steve Lamacq does.

Brian
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 02/18/11 12:58 PM
Quote:
had a listen
Had a listen too. Kudos to Mark L - (Mark!? - Steve of course! laugh ) - for putting the case so enthusiastically. As for the others, fair do's, I'd find myself saying much the same in return about the music of The Mystery Jets and The Pipettes, 'I'm tired of all this middle of the road lads indies and girl pop' wink
Posted By: fons Re: Interplay - 02/18/11 06:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z285OXq1OvE&feature=player_embedded

This sounds really really great!! laugh
Posted By: Furniture Re: Interplay - 02/18/11 11:02 PM
Excellent!
Posted By: jhoward Re: Interplay - 02/18/11 11:35 PM
I love that footage! Any word on a release date for the entire show?
It's such a tease!
Posted By: Furniture Re: Interplay - 02/20/11 02:58 PM
If all of the DVD is going to be like this its going to be great..
I want it.
I need it.
Want it
Need it
Now
NOW
NOW NOW!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 02/21/11 10:19 AM
Steve/John Foxx and the Maths posted in reply to a comment on Facebook the other day, saying the DVD was being worked on at the moment and hopefully released later this year.
Posted By: nightporter Re: Interplay - 02/21/11 08:32 PM
great clip,can,t wait for this to be released. laugh
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Interplay - 02/24/11 09:46 PM
Four star review in Mojo and three stars in Q. What's great about these reviews is that they have appeared ahead of the album's release instead of several weeks/months later as would often be the case. Who knows - JF back in the album charts?
Posted By: The Quiet Trees Re: Interplay - 03/02/11 06:52 PM
A very positive review of Interplay.

http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/review/5523/John_Foxx_Interplay_Ft_The_Maths_Album_Review.html

I'm all a-tingle with anticipation. Roll on the 21st!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 03/03/11 11:31 AM
Paul Pledger is a good reviewer, and has written quite a few glowing pieces on previous Foxx albums.

Worth searching his archive if you have time an inclination
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/03/11 12:33 PM
It's great that all the reviews thus far have been so positive and enthusiastic. However, it is slightly - no, very frustrating that these are just the kid of reviews that Foxx should have been getting in 2006 with From Trash and Sideways.

Oh well, better late than never I suppose. But the first Interplay reviewer to use the words "come back" should be sacked. It's bound to happen...
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 03/03/11 07:16 PM
Quote:
Paul Pledger is a good reviewer, and has written quite a few glowing pieces on previous Foxx albums. Worth searching his archive if you have time an inclination
Hadn’t the time, but I did find the inclination!

A cheerfully thumbs-up review of Interplay in the lead-up to its release, and worthwhile reading all else that Paul has written, again, all very balanced and concise, even if one does not agree on every aspect: -

MLC – “Pretty music without being twee although it can border on Enya without the Enya if you know what I mean (Holywell Lane)”
Interesting how we all see things differently, I would not describe My Lost City as ‘pretty’, I’d say that it was Mirrorball that bordered in places on the pretty, but thankfully without the Enya flourishes.

TGS – “Zeus B Held was drafted in to polish up the rough edges and add a dynamism missing from The Garden"
What! The Garden a less dynamic album than The Golden Section?

IMW - "Shine On should definitely have been a single though - sublime melodies and vocals with a simplistic arrangement. Instead the rather cumbersome Stars On Fire led the promotion”
What! Stars On Fire cumbersome! And the somewhat saccharine Shine On as the lead single!

Anyway, that's enough of my nitpicking laugh Paul’s certainly taken John’s work to heart, refreshingly enthusiastic, and clearly a fan, and coming back to Interplay, its interesting what he says about Destination (which I also had some reservations about):-

"I seem to have forgotten the preceding single "Destination" with its resplendent shower of synths, although for once the mix on the album doesn't justify the sparkling music. A slight re-jig may unearth a classic but overall, this is an essential taste of what two innovators can achieve, given plenty of studio-time”
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Interplay - 03/09/11 12:17 PM
"Foxx's music still sounds futuristic, accompanied by flickering footage and images of design that never dates: imagined cityscapes, endless motorways. As these time machines whirr to silence, it's clear that Mr Foxx is still fantastic." : NME, June 2010

"One of the finest Electronic albums you'll hear in 2011." : The Quietus

Interplay is now available on Amazon ...

Rob
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 03/09/11 06:23 PM
Track by Track review of Interplay at The Electricity Club

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/html/foxxmaths.html
Posted By: E. G. Ekin Re: Interplay - 03/10/11 11:19 AM
I don't buy the publication anymore, but I noted (when browsing through a copy in Sainsbury's) that the album has a very positive write up in the review section of the latest 'Q' magazine.

smile
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 03/15/11 10:35 PM
Steve's just posted another one on John's Twitter

http://news.pinkpaper.com/Feature.aspx?id=2267

Brian
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 03/16/11 01:22 PM
Cheer sBrian

one of the most futuristic nostalgia trips you’re likely to take this side of the Millennium…

Absolutely!
Posted By: loveaction Re: Interplay - 03/16/11 10:02 PM
Im really cannot wait for this album,especially after the disappointment that is the new album by The Human League.
Posted By: jhoward Re: Interplay - 03/16/11 10:53 PM
I pre-ordered mine yesterday, loving Evergreen!
The wait is a killer!
Posted By: numan-chris Re: Interplay - 03/17/11 04:12 PM
I take it the CD's will be delivered on Monday? Really cannot wait any longer laugh
Posted By: Mr Normall Re: Interplay - 03/17/11 09:38 PM
My order status on Townsend Records say "SENT ON 21/03/2011".

It's been quite a while since last time I have looking forward to a new record as much as 'Interplay'. I think 'Tour De France Soundtracks' by Kraftwerk was the previous one which I waited with this much anticipation.
Posted By: Herbert the turbot Re: Interplay - 03/18/11 09:50 AM
It seems the album is getting a much wider release than previous Foxx ones, where Townsend was more often than not the only outlet.

http://www.whatshouldipay.co.uk/cds/fetchPrices.php?id=B004M5FZHW

I've ordered my copy from Zavvi - in these hard times the fact it's 8p cheaper than Amazon just about makes it worthwhile!
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 03/18/11 10:10 AM
Quote:
in these hard times the fact it's 8p cheaper than Amazon just about makes it worthwhile!
Herbert, that's 8p towards the next five musical works from JF and friends. You know the old saying - 'look after the pennies and the cost of buying the albums will look after itself'

wink
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/18/11 10:43 AM
My status says "SENT ON 21/03/2011" too.

So in the future, it's already been posted!! Eh?!
Posted By: loveaction Re: Interplay - 03/18/11 05:48 PM
Maybe it will arrive yesterday then!

I too am very keen to hear this cd.
Posted By: MikeG Re: Interplay - 03/19/11 12:04 PM
My lovely digi-pack copy of Interplay dropped through the letter box this morning and I've just finished playing the album.

Simply wonderful from start to finish.

John's vocals sound better than ever, the lyrics are great and a fabulous synthy feeling just flows through you as you listen to the tracks. After one listen, instant favourites are Shatterproof, Evergreen, Watching A Building On Fire & A Falling Star, but there are no weak tracks here.

I've struggled with John's new material post-Gordon-2006. Sure, I've bought new releases since then, but only the backwards looking material - Impossible, Neuro Video, Glimmer, Underpass remix etc. The real new stuff - My Lost City, Mirrorball, A Secret Life etc. just hasn't been for me. So Interplay really is the follow up to Sideways - and well worth the wait laugh
Posted By: Brian Re: Interplay - 03/19/11 12:20 PM
Its brilliant.Also the design of the booklet looks amazing.As I've already said on Twitter,well done Barnbrook cool

Brian
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/19/11 12:38 PM
Mine just arrived!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/19/11 03:12 PM
The last time I was genuinely excited about a John Foxx release was back in 2006 with From Trash and Sideways. Everything since then just hasn't been for me in most cases. So a return to song-based electronica with stunning vocals is long overdue - and it has been worth the wait.

So far I've only played it twice. It's very good. And very different compared to what John has done in the past with Louis.

FIRST impressions - Shatterproof, Catwalk, Evergreen, Summerland and A Falling Star are the standout tracks for me. The vocals are flawless throughout, especially on the title track.

The best John Foxx vocals on any album? Quite possibly.

The overall sound and style of the synths on the album echo Trans-Europe Express era Kraftwerk and early Depeche Mode rather than say, SoR or Metamatic.

Although there are no disappointing tracks on the album I have to say I preferred the original version of Destination - it's still a bit like the odd-one-out on the album. This revised version just sounds somehow clunky. And The Good Shadow doesn't do anything for me at all - it would have been much more accessible without the vocorder vocal effect thingy. I was hoping for more out of that particular track.

The artwork surprised me - the pictures of 1980s-style server rooms! Huh?! They do look like something out of Tron. But it's a fun, colourful package; I like the colours and typography - another Barnbrook classic!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray

I'll formulate a more thorough review for Quiet City when I've had time to digest the album and explore the songs a little more.

Is it too early to nominate it for album of the year?
Posted By: loveaction Re: Interplay - 03/19/11 04:29 PM
Got my copy today as well, after postman had been once, so almost a special delivery!
Just slipped it into the CD player and am enjoying Shatterproof, I feel all of a quiver, its so far just fantastic, cannot wait to hear rest of it, maybe I should post this after listening to entire album, but am too excited!

42mins and 43 seconds later and WOW, love it all, the new version of Destination is great too and I thought Evergreen sounded familiar, then I remembered the download of it, just great.

Now, can we have a vinyl version please.
Posted By: nap-ster Re: Interplay - 03/20/11 06:50 PM
Haven't played it yet. Too busy ogling the artwork laugh
Posted By: Your Shadow Re: Interplay - 03/20/11 09:15 PM
I received my copy yesterday morning but only got to listen to it tonight. I'm blown away. This really is a fantastic album.

John's vocals and lyrics are as good as ever and the instrumenation is excellent. Standout tracks for me on first listen are
Catwalk,Evergreen,Summerland,Interplay and A Falling Star.Although there aren't any tracks that I dislike. I really do hope that more people get to hear this album than John's usual fanbase.
Posted By: nap-ster Re: Interplay - 03/21/11 03:27 PM
My album review : Corking tunes, arrangements and serious LOW bass smile
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 03/21/11 04:03 PM
Received my copy today. (DIGIPAK)
Unfortunately, I didn't check my pigeonhole until late this afternoon. frown

I browsed through the tracks, and was impressed until I got to Destination. Then I was blown away!

Bloody Hell! Wow! Didn't see THAT coming..

EPIC.
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Interplay - 03/21/11 07:51 PM
Could'nt resist the iTunes purchase. Very impressed by this album,very!

Dark,dirty and venomous in places.

Its a shame theres no digital booklet with the iTunes, but I'll be purchasing a physical copy too.

Any chance of vinyl?
Posted By: fons Re: Interplay - 03/21/11 08:28 PM
Dammit...I am getting seriously annoyed here...Interplay-less laugh
Posted By: metal beat Re: Interplay - 03/21/11 08:57 PM
Well what can I add that's not already been wrote. I looked forward to this album for a long time and it's been well worth the wait.

This Album is brilliant, best thing from John (And Benge) in years. John's voice is outstanding.

For me the outstanding track and it's been mentioned about being to short is The Good Shadow. It's over barely before it's started.

If anyone is doubting about buying Interplay, don't delay.

10 out of 10 for Interplay.

Peter smile
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 03/22/11 09:17 AM
Excellent album. Prefer the 'softer' tracks over the 'harder' ones...whatever that means.
Given the kind of technology and themes involved ("a man, a woman, a city") it's the album he could've made after Metamatic if he'd put his mind to it, instead of wandering off into The Garden.
Never mind, we've got it now and that's all that matters. Beautiful.

Just one question: is the Running Man the quiet man running in traffic?

I'll get me coat..
:rolleyes:
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/22/11 09:26 AM
I thought the same. Running in traffic was a relatively jovial and playful affair. I reckon he's got pas the cars now, ran off the M1, and has gotten into darker territory by this point.

Now he's just running. Destination uncertain.

So long as he avoids Chesterfield.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 03/22/11 10:05 AM
Destination is more than uncertain .. it's unknown!

(I really must learn to take my John Foxx albums more seriously..)
Posted By: The Quiet Trees Re: Interplay - 03/22/11 06:14 PM
My verdict: a dream of an album. The best thing John has done since the second coming. I've often thought that there was unfinished business back in the early 80s, as electro in it's purer forms was short lived and there was much more ground to be explored. At last, 30 years on, with this strictly analogue recording, John alone from those futurist days has gone some way to putting that right. If Interplay had been released in 1981 I've no doubt at all it would be regarded as a top five classic of the genre. Perhaps it still will be.
Posted By: Furniture Re: Interplay - 03/22/11 06:18 PM
NADA HOJE mad
Posted By: nap-ster Re: Interplay - 03/22/11 07:49 PM
I'm moving to Summerland.
Posted By: John Taylor Re: Interplay - 03/22/11 08:54 PM
Evergreen, amazing track! At 140bpm I'd like to hear this played on Zane Lowes' show!
Posted By: Herbert the turbot Re: Interplay - 03/24/11 10:23 AM
Still waiting on my copy from Zavvi, who sent me an apologetic email yesterday saying it's out of stock and they're awaiting a fresh delivery or something.

I don't mind waiting - we did after all have to wait 12 years for the follow up to In Mysterious Ways, but it's a tad frustrating nonetheless!
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 03/24/11 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nap-ster:
I'm moving to Summerland.
Watch out for the big black helicopter flown by the Psycho (Jan Michael Vincent) and the Old Codger Ernest Borgnine) ..
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 03/24/11 10:55 AM
Quote:
Still waiting on my copy from Zavvi, who sent me an apologetic email yesterday saying it's out of stock and they're awaiting a fresh delivery or something.

I don't mind waiting - we did after all have to wait 12 years for the follow up to In Mysterious Ways, but it's a tad frustrating nonetheless!
*cough* Townsend Records..
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 03/24/11 11:10 AM
Quote:
The last time I was genuinely excited about a John Foxx release was back in 2006 with From Trash and Sideways. Everything since then just hasn't been for me in most cases. So a return to song-based electronica with stunning vocals is long overdue - and it has been worth the wait.

So far I've only played it twice. It's very good. And very different compared to what John has done in the past with Louis.

FIRST impressions - Shatterproof, Catwalk, Evergreen, Summerland and A Falling Star are the standout tracks for me. The vocals are flawless throughout, especially on the title track.

The best John Foxx vocals on any album? Quite possibly.

The overall sound and style of the synths on the album echo Trans-Europe Express era Kraftwerk and early Depeche Mode rather than say, SoR or Metamatic.

Although there are no disappointing tracks on the album I have to say I preferred the original version of Destination - it's still a bit like the odd-one-out on the album. This revised version just sounds somehow clunky. And The Good Shadow doesn't do anything for me at all - it would have been much more accessible without the vocorder vocal effect thingy. I was hoping for more out of that particular track.

The artwork surprised me - the pictures of 1980s-style server rooms! Huh?! They do look like something out of Tron. But it's a fun, colourful package; I like the colours and typography - another Barnbrook classic!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray

I'll formulate a more thorough review for Quiet City when I've had time to digest the album and explore the songs a little more.

Is it too early to nominate it for album of the year?
I agree about the version of Destination. Although I love the new version, the old one is more subtle.

I've been listening to the album on my HTC on the way to and from work, and I have to say that even the bits that I didn't immediately like have started to grow on me.
I'd love to see "Catwalk" played at a REAL fashion show. Keep wanting to sing "funk soul brother". though.. Can't get away from the "Airwolf" thing on Summerland.

I posted a quick review on my website:
NerveJam.Com - Interplay Review

My current "earworm" is Watching a Building on Fire. Excellent. Although I keep drifting-off into Trans-Europe Express..
Posted By: fons Re: Interplay - 03/24/11 06:35 PM
Got my copy today! yahoo!
Went straight for Catwalk! Sounds even more badass-low-fi than at the Youtube clip, on the awesomeness scale it reigns supreme! laugh
Posted By: Brigid Re: Interplay - 03/24/11 11:37 PM
Got my copy today. Have yet to listen to it.

I also got the t-shirt with it. I didn't want the t-shirt, because I don't wear t-shirts. Townsend didn't give me a non-t-shirt option.

So--does anyone who didn't get a t-shirt want one? This happens to be a small, unfortunately--probably wouldn't fit most of you blokes. smile But who knows.

If anyone does want it, and is going to the Troxy, let me know--I'll bring it along. No charge for it.

If I keep it, it will suffer the fate of all my other t-shirts--it will work its way to the bottom of a drawer, and become wrinkled and forgotten, which seems undignified for a John Foxx-related item.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Interplay - 03/24/11 11:47 PM
Quote:
Got my copy today. Have yet to listen to it.

I also got the t-shirt with it. I didn't want the t-shirt, because I don't wear t-shirts. Townsend didn't give me a non-t-shirt option.

So--does anyone who didn't get a t-shirt want one? This happens to be a small, unfortunately--probably wouldn't fit most of you blokes. smile But who knows.

If anyone does want it, and is going to the Troxy, let me know--I'll bring it along. No charge for it.

If I keep it, it will suffer the fate of all my other t-shirts--it will work its way to the bottom of a drawer, and become wrinkled and forgotten, which seems undignified for a John Foxx-related item.
Hahahahahahahahaha!

Sorry Brigid, I'm only laughing because the same happened to me! I now have a large t-shirt with a teeny tiny Maths print on it. It's been officially given a designated 'staying in/wear around the house' status laugh
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 03/25/11 12:04 AM
Incidentally, I ordered Interplay (digipack) on Tuesday afternoon and received it on Wednesday morning.
No T-shirt in the equation - just a CD order.

Good service for me!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/25/11 07:33 AM
I hope at some point we get a t-shirt with the album cover design on. That would be nice.
Posted By: Mr Normall Re: Interplay - 03/25/11 08:08 AM
Quote:

_o/

I can help you with this and accept the free t-shirt :-)
Posted By: turntable Re: Interplay - 03/25/11 08:47 AM
I just received in the post from Townsend records my copy of Interplay. After being a little dissapointed with Mirrorball and very plesantly surprised with Quiet Man all I can say is WOW eek cool smile cool

This album is awesome and I can only see it getting better.

One question - Please Please release this album on VINYL. Have the Vinyl Factory do it and it would be the best!!

cheers
Posted By: Brigid Re: Interplay - 03/25/11 09:12 AM
Mr. Normall--great! It's yours. I'll bring it with me.

Birdsong--Townsend's site gets weird at times. I had issues when I was ordering my Troxy ticket as well. They don't seem to handle multiple options well--some days it works fine, other days it doesn't.

Radio Beach--so the logo is too small for the large shirt? I wonder who does the shirt designs for them--obviously they didn't think that one out too well! smile
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Interplay - 03/25/11 10:33 AM
T-Shirt?
Didn't see that option. I just bought the CD.
Posted By: Mr Normall Re: Interplay - 03/25/11 11:31 AM
Quote:
Mr. Normall--great! It's yours. I'll bring it with me.
\o/ Joyy..
Posted By: Furniture Re: Interplay - 03/25/11 09:53 PM
Got in the USA smile
Posted By: Steve Roby Re: Interplay - 03/26/11 12:57 PM
Still waiting in Canada...
Posted By: Scott Re: Interplay - 03/26/11 07:09 PM
Listened to it briefly on my break but now getting more chance to listen to it now I'm home (& wife free but don't tell her I said that). It started of fantastically & after the first three tracks I thought WOW. This was slightly brought back a bit on Watching a Building but on more listens , the change in tempo works a treat. Not too keen on Destination & I preferred September Town when given free a few months ago. I still think that is one of there best. This is Johns best work since I.M.W & is a contender for album of the year so far. With so many new albums being released recently it'll take a few more listens of each to judge properly.
Posted By: feline1 Re: Interplay - 03/26/11 07:40 PM
my favourite track is the gentle one with the arpeggiator - it's at the end of the album, I think?
Posted By: Mr.Ilektrik Re: Interplay - 03/26/11 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
my favourite track is the gentle one with the arpeggiator - it's at the end of the album, I think?
'The Good Shadow'
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Interplay - 03/26/11 10:14 PM
Already a bit nostalgic for the first time I played this ...
Posted By: Furniture Re: Interplay - 03/27/11 01:46 AM
Am I the only one? I love Interplay of course but I cant say that its the best thing since Metamatic or IMW. John and Louis's songs like "Impossible" and "a million cars" are superb. They are just as good!

I actually really like "watching a building on fire" the most so far. Hearing that girls voice with John's is something really different..
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 06:34 AM
And Interplay is number 26 on the official indie charts!
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 07:47 AM
Quote:
And Interplay is number 26 on the official indie charts!
That's a really interesting chart. I didn' realise Adele was an 'independent' artist. I bet some majors are really kicking themselves.
(Credo at no. 9 I see wink )
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 08:53 AM
Oh I missed Credo there - so it's done well in the indie charts, with a positioning at 44 in the overall album chart. How come Interplay isn't in the top 100 then? Oh, I don't know how these things work!!

They've both charted. That's the main thing!!
Posted By: Shadow Man Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 09:33 AM
Quote:
Am I the only one? I love Interplay of course but I cant say that its the best thing since Metamatic or IMW. John and Louis's songs like "Impossible" and "a million cars" are superb. They are just as good!

I actually really like "watching a building on fire" the most so far. Hearing that girls voice with John's is something really different..
Got my copy on Friday and had a few listens since. My favourite track is Summerland . It was in my ears the whole weekend. But there are some other nice tracks like Evergreen, The Good Shadow, Catwalk and..., -last in the list for me is Running Man. I think it is a really great album with a nice cover, but I think too, like Furniture, - it's not John's best album since Metamatic. But it is great John is back with new "fresh" music. Hope John and Benge will do some gigs this year (after Troxy) - would be nice to see/hear them live again with their analogue synths. Wonderful Sound!
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 09:55 AM
"The Good Shadow" and "Watching a Building On Fire" are the tracks that I can personally take or leave. I'm not such a fan of Ladytron, so hearing John with Mira Aroyo doesn't do much for me (don't like her voice), although it is interesting to hear John's first ever duet!

After a week of continuous plays, it's "Summerland", "A Falling Star" and "Catwalk" that really stand out as the strongest tracks on the album for me.

Interplay would certainly make my John Foxx "top 5", alongside The Pleasures of Electricity, Metamatic and From Trash and The Garden.
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 10:21 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] And Interplay is number 26 on the official indie charts!
That's a really interesting chart. I didn' realise Adele was an 'independent' artist. I bet some majors are really kicking themselves.
(Credo at no. 9 I see wink ) [/b]
Its Independent alright!

Daniel O'Donnell at number 6 :rolleyes:

C'mon John and Benge, this chart race is like the Wacky Races. Its time to pull-out the Penelope Pitstop's, crank up the Crimson Haybailer, load up the Bulletproof Bomb, and as Austin Powers would likely say: 'polish up the Compact Pussy' and zoom off in the Interplay Turbo Terrific all the way to the finish line and number one... laugh
Posted By: jhoward Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 12:28 PM
Well, my copy of Interplay arrived in Australia today.

First impressions are extremely positive, and I'm just sticking it on for my second listen now. It's too early to really highlight favourites, but so far there aren't any songs that I don't like! The packaging is really nice as well, and I'm looking forward to my next few trips into uni because I'll be cranking this on the ipod.
Posted By: Lord Lost Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 03:53 PM
Great to have a John Foxx release with John's unique lyrics and vocals again wink . Summerland & Interplay for me at the moment...can hear loads of early Ultravox in this release..
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 03:54 PM
I think it's safe to say there's a bit of almost every John Foxx album hidden somewhere on Interplay!
Posted By: Scott Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 04:09 PM
Definitely a lot more talking points & a more positive response to this album.
Posted By: MikeG Re: Interplay - 03/28/11 04:40 PM
It's great to see John back in the charts again. What a boost! I think I'll print that indie album chart and frame it laugh
Posted By: Rodney Re: Interplay - 03/29/11 06:21 AM
Summerland is the stand-out track for me. Although it's electronic instrumentation, as opposed to conventional, it sounds as though it could have come from somewhere in The Garden period. A couple of the other tracks are growers.

Cheers ...
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 03/29/11 07:51 AM
For those who haven't seen the packaging yet ..

see here.
Posted By: MikeG Re: Interplay - 03/29/11 11:06 AM
Just going back to Interplay appearing in the Indie album charts - is this John's first chart appearance since 1985 (IMW)?
Posted By: Lord Lost Re: Interplay - 03/29/11 04:17 PM
Summerland is almost perfect....would love a new version with clothes from 1954 instead of 1994 thats all....
Posted By: MemberD Re: Interplay - 03/30/11 02:50 PM
What do we all think of the track "Falling Star"?

..and let it herewith be known that I prefer the shorter (preview) version of "Evergreen"
wink
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/30/11 03:41 PM
A Falling Star is my second favourite track after Summerland.

It's the most moving track on the album for me, and it wouldn't have sounded out of place on TPOE.

Beautiful and atmospheric.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Interplay - 03/30/11 06:03 PM
Quote:
What do we all think of the track "Falling Star"?
I also think it's one of the strongest tracks on the album. Reminds me of so many things about John Foxx that I love, and not least the title track from In Mysterious Ways.

As Alex said before, Interplay pulls a lot of things together - and then blows them apart into tiny coloured fragments…
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 03/30/11 06:22 PM
Is is a very colourful album. And I think Barnbrook has tapped into that with the artwork too - it all comes together perfectly.
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Interplay - 03/31/11 07:26 PM
Played a few times before forming an opinion.

It is John's best album since TPOE. A solid set of songs, although I actually prefer the mix of "Shatterproof" which won the competition.

Stand out tracks are "Catwalk", "Summerland", "Interplay" and certainly prefer the new recording of "Watching A Building On Fire", "Evergreen" is a fantastic track. I also like the Kraftwerkesque closing track "The Good Shadow". New version of "Destination" is good to, would like to have seen "September Town" added to make the album a little longer.

My favourite is "Falling Star", a stunning track!

Let's hope there are plans for another John Foxx & The Maths album! 8/10
Posted By: Steve Roby Re: Interplay - 04/01/11 02:02 AM
Got this today and I'm listening to it for the second time. Before, I was wondering why this album, out of so many post-IMW albums, was getting so much attention. But there really is something special about this one, isn't there?
Posted By: MikeF Re: Interplay - 04/01/11 02:29 PM
How Johnny Got His Groove Back

Just finished listening to it for the first time. Making this brief because I'm on the train. It's an instant classic. John sounds inspired again and Benge's synths are a pleasure to listen to. (Now we just need to remix that track with the off key female vocals and it will be perfect. smile )
Posted By: Herbert the turbot Re: Interplay - 04/05/11 09:25 AM
At long last Zavvi finally dispatched my copy, which turned up yesterday.

So far I've listened to half the album and for me the standout track is "Catwalk", which is quite surprising as I normally prefer the quieter more reflective tracks. It's got a curiously funky groove for an electronic track, at times amost reminiscent of Fatboy Slim's Rockefeller Skank". John Foxx the Funk Soul Brother? Who'd have thought it!!!

What's interesting about the reviews on this thread so far is that everyone seems to have a different favourite track - surely the sign of a very strong album?
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 04/07/11 08:39 AM

This is a new piece of art which I've elected to call Summerland. From that you might guess it's inspired by (though not based on or necessarily illustrating) the song of the same name!

That said, it's turned out completely different to what I had in mind, but it got to a stage where I thought 'less is more' so decided to leave it at this. For me the colours match the song.
Posted By: core memory Re: Interplay - 04/07/11 09:24 AM
Lovely image Alex, reminds me of the game Myst, certainly makes me want to get in there and explore it.

Its amazing how interplay is affecting so many of us, I've not played it in days but I seem to have so many of its songs running through my head, so far this week its been Summerland, Catwalk, The Running Man, and this morning I woke up hearing A Falling Star in my mind.
Posted By: Alex S Re: Interplay - 04/07/11 09:33 AM
Thanks!

I had actually painted a falling (or shooting) star into the sky, for a bit of added Foxxy effect, but it didn't look right, so I got rid. A bit like everything else I had planned to include!!
© Metamatic