Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
#32322 02/02/09 09:32 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Maybe I missed the thread, but anyone else received an email from Townsend Records?

"As a previous customer we are pleased to announce details of the new CD by John Foxx entitled 'My lost City'.My Lost City is an collection of 11 instrumental music which John has been quietly assembling for the last few years.
For further information and to pre-order click :"

http://www.townsend-records.co.uk/artist.php?artist=John+Foxx

#32323 02/02/09 10:02 PM
Hi Donald,

It was in the announcements section last week along with the other 2 upcoming albums:-

http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000022;p=4#000055

Brian

#32324 02/02/09 10:06 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks Brian - knew I must have missed something!

#32325 02/03/09 12:52 AM
Does anyone know what musical styles these instrumentals are in? Are they like CO or like the Harold Budd collaboration? Or perhaps like his older instrumentals or perhaps even a mix?

#32326 02/03/09 07:56 AM
John Foxx myspace says:

"In terms of style, the album includes early experiments with ideas that would eventually become Cathedral Oceans such as the filmic, synthesizer-driven Imperfect Hymn; one beautiful track is built around piano but also features electronics; others are more tonal, though melody features very strongly throughout My Lost City. Everything is recognisable in other John Foxx projects, yet also unique."

#32327 02/03/09 01:40 PM
I've only just noticed that My Lost City is now listed as a 'Townsend Records Exclusive' - has this just been added? I didn't notice it this morning. Does this mean that My Lost City is now a Limited Edition album?

#32328 02/03/09 01:50 PM
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
I've only just noticed that My Lost City is now listed as a 'Townsend Records Exclusive' - has this just been added? I didn't notice it this morning. Does this mean that My Lost City is now a Limited Edition album?
Hate to be pedantic but aren't all of John's albums "limited editions" these days in so far as only around 1000 copies are pressed and very few of them make their way into high street music retailers?

#32329 02/03/09 01:55 PM
Or it means you have to buy it from Townsend as nobody else will have it? confused

#32330 02/04/09 04:30 PM
Many thanks to Don (quietrumrunnerman) for pointing out that My Lost City takes its name from an essay by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The essay was written in 1932, so I assume it is now out of copyright(?) - and is freely available on various websites such as this one;

http://www.uhb.fr/faulkner/ny/fitzgerald.htm if anyone wants to read it.

#32331 02/04/09 06:19 PM
"...they blurred into one lovely entity, the girl..."

#32332 02/05/09 03:48 AM
I am not fond of CO myself so if its like that then I think I will give it a pass.

#32333 02/05/09 04:28 PM
Just looking into Foxx’ repurposing of F.Scott Fitzgerald a little further – do any of these sound familiar?

This Side of Paradise – 1920
The Beautiful and the Damned – 1922
wink

Another anorak fact - the title Umbra Sumus very probably comes from the Latin quote “Pulvis et umbra sumus”, which translates as “We are but dust and shadow”. This is taken from Odes by the Latin poet Horace (c. 23 BC and 13 BC) (Book IV, ode vii, line 16) although Foxx could of repurposed it from Ernest Hemmingway, who repuposed it himself for his novel The Sun Also Rises.

You can tell I'm busy at work today eh? smile

Gazza

#32334 02/05/09 05:05 PM
Administrator
Administrator
This is EXACTLY what I love about John Foxx and the delights of being a fan.

For me, the very essence of his work is the way the references and ideas cross-pollinate each other, the way the writing becomes music becomes artwork, the way different periods of time merge into one another in an ethereal non-linear way, the way this style of music is closer than first appears to that style of music.

It's great to see everything coming together at last and different profiles emerging.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#32335 02/05/09 10:14 PM
Go Gazza GO! laugh

#32336 02/06/09 09:28 AM
Q
Q
Heartened to see thoughtful discourse around the
Parish,gentlemen. wink

For me, JF is the kind of artist who,upon encountering their first synth will think:' I could get away with pressing the demo button and alternate the pre-sets? No,perhaps I can explore some avenues less travelled.'

That is how you become influential-the cyphers inevitably follow.

The Swimmers - 1929 (anorak with fake-fur?)

#32337 02/06/09 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lody Herst:
Go Gazza GO! laugh
Cheers Martin! Lody!

I love it when artists do this sort of thing – leaving clues.

David Sylvian does something similar, mind you it’s not as deftly camouflaged as Foxx. Brilliant Trees as an example, is riddled with it. The lyrics – “Nature feeds this nausea” (Pulling Punches), “The blood of a poet, the ink in the well, It’s all written down in this Age of Reason” (Ink in the Well), “It’s the devil in the flesh, it’s the Iron in my Soul” (Red Guitar). I had no idea until a few months after purchasing the album that what he was leaving was clues about the works of Jean-Paul Sartre; Nausea and the Roads to Freedom trilogy – The Age of Reason, The Reprieve and Iron in the Soul.

You can probably imagine what a journey of discovery this was as a teenager. Ink in the Well also mentions Picasso – and the covers to my battered second-hand Penguin editions of the Roads to Freedom trilogy all used artworks by Picasso for the cover art, and so Brilliant Trees became so much more than just an album, in the same way as Ballard does for Metamatic and Burroughs and Philip K. Dick do for Replicas – it became an education.

Sadly – it’s struck again. I’m already head over heels in love with My Lost City and I’ve yet to hear a single note!
laugh

#32338 02/06/09 01:05 PM
Q
Q
The Swimmers as in The Garden Disc 2 :p

TSOParadise. There is a first solo album by Cars
Frontman, Ric Ocasek with same title and track.
Worth hearing.Good use of ye olde synths thruout.

repurposing I bought a packet of 'Chorley' cakes in Sainsbury's yesterday... laugh

#32339 02/06/09 01:13 PM
M
M
Also Jean Cocteau was an influence on 'Brilliant Trees', as you probably know, Garry.

#32340 02/06/09 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Also Jean Cocteau was an influence on 'Brilliant Trees', as you probably know, Garry.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I had that postcard set that came with Pulling Punches.

PS - Will write to you soon (honest! smile ) It's just like Piccadilly Circus round 'ere at the moment!

#32341 02/13/09 01:00 PM
A lovely sample of "Holywell Lane" is up on John's MySpace player...

#32342 02/13/09 01:43 PM
Sounds very nice but a little bit hissy..... smile

#32343 02/13/09 03:49 PM
C
C
ooh, I love Holywell Lane

(and Secret Life Part 5 is also there...)

#32344 02/13/09 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Sounds very nice but a little bit hissy..... smile
Intentionally so if you read the blurb wink :
Quote:
The album is mostly recorded with analogue synthesizers on analogue tape - some of the old machines have their own clicks, buzzes and hiss, along with imperfections on the tape - although they've been worked on, partly repaired and toned down, these factors represent the 'aural patina' of the history of the tracks, the equipment and recording process, so they are still present in some form. Hollywell Lane is one of the oldest tracks on the album and some of the original tape hiss can still be heard. However, we all felt that this was appropriate for this project and it was rather wonderful re-discovering some of the warm, rich, subtly shifting analogue sonics of material recorded two decades ago - as John Foxx writes in his extended sleevenotes for the album, ' . . . discarded songs from a lost city . . . psychic electricity reaching between buried streets and particles of magnetised iron . . . on tape made from the solidified remains of prehistoric forests . . . carried on electromagnetic impulses, crackling through time and space, into the air again.'

#32345 02/13/09 03:54 PM
And an excerpt from "Imperfect Hymn," sounding very much like the missing link between "The Garden" and Cathedral Oceans.

I'm liking all of this.

#32346 02/13/09 04:19 PM
Are those John's vocals? He must have found out his tightest pants!

Imperfect Hymn sounds lovely though - absolutely lovely. Steve, you're spot on with your comments there about it linking The garden and CO.

I'm really looking forward to this album. It would be very interesting to know when and where the various tracks were recorded or originated - maybe there will be more info like this in the sleeve notes...

I'm still not sold on A Secret Life though...

#32347 02/13/09 05:12 PM
F
F
Great stuff for me!! cool
But then again, who am I? laugh

#32348 02/13/09 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
[b] Sounds very nice but a little bit hissy..... smile
Intentionally so if you read the blurb wink :
Quote:
The album is mostly recorded with analogue synthesizers on analogue tape - some of the old machines have their own clicks, buzzes and hiss, along with imperfections on the tape - although they've been worked on, partly repaired and toned down, these factors represent the 'aural patina' of the history of the tracks, the equipment and recording process, so they are still present in some form. Hollywell Lane is one of the oldest tracks on the album and some of the original tape hiss can still be heard. However, we all felt that this was appropriate for this project and it was rather wonderful re-discovering some of the warm, rich, subtly shifting analogue sonics of material recorded two decades ago - as John Foxx writes in his extended sleevenotes for the album, ' . . . discarded songs from a lost city . . . psychic electricity reaching between buried streets and particles of magnetised iron . . . on tape made from the solidified remains of prehistoric forests . . . carried on electromagnetic impulses, crackling through time and space, into the air again.'
[/b]
Cheers D

All is now clear.

That was posted after the track was put up laugh

#32349 02/13/09 07:04 PM
So we'll have no moaning about hiss, click, snap, crackle and pop when the album comes out! wink

#32350 02/13/09 07:04 PM
I'd like to thank Steve Malins and John for putting two tracks of the forthcoming album up on Myspace. WOW I'm bowled over and can't wait to get my grubby hands on My Lost City and hearing the full versions.

Imperfect Hymn as a nice CO feel to it.

Holywell Lane as a similar feel to Beethovens' piano sonata. Beauiful.

I have reservations about A Secret Life. My thoughts only.

Peter smile smile

#32351 02/13/09 07:06 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I'm forming an impression that this could be the best John Foxx album for a long time.

I don't remember the last one I looked forward to quite this much laugh cool

(Except perhaps for 'A Secret Life'...)

Imperfect Hymn - beautiful. Just goes to show what a milestone Lumen de Lumine was :p

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#32352 02/13/09 07:12 PM
You're fully entitled to your thoughts Peter, as we all are.

I'm not keen on it from what I've heard so far - nothing beyond the album cover to grab my attention or imagination.

I think (or hope) it'll be one of those albums that you need to hear as a whole before any possible judgement can be made. I'm sure it'll make sense in its entirety.

I wasn't bothered about Translucence + Drift Music when I first got it; I was quite disappointed. Than one day it grabbed me by the bollards and swung me round! It was only then I realised what a beautiful album it really is.

#32353 02/13/09 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
I'm forming an impression that this could be the best John Foxx album for a long time.

I don't remember the last one I looked forward to quite this much laugh cool
Despite being instrumental, it is starting to feel like this could be the album that John has been working towards since he first started writing about his fixation with cities.

He's clearly been saving the cover artwork for it! Maybe Urban Motets was a "false start".

But yes, I'm also really excited about this one...

#32354 02/13/09 08:19 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Despite being instrumental...
Interesting thought. But perhaps its because it's instrumental?

John's lyrics are great of course, but they do 'define' our interpretation of the songs and (to an extent) lead us in a particular direction. This kind of music is more like an imagined map - there is no predetermined route through it or conclusion to draw - our understanding of it is given the freedom to find itself...

#32355 02/13/09 08:39 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
ooh, I love Holywell Lane
...well, having just listened to Imperfect Hymn its a triple 'ooh' from me for this track smile

#32356 02/13/09 09:14 PM
M
M
I've listened to all three edits & they are all superb pieces of music. I prefer this side of John's music to the electronic stuff with Louis.

Spiritual, emotive, deeply moving and gorgeous.

#32357 02/13/09 09:19 PM
M
M
Quote:
Quote:
[b]Despite being instrumental...
Interesting thought. But perhaps its because it's instrumental?

John's lyrics are great of course, but they do 'define' our interpretation of the songs and (to an extent) lead us in a particular direction. This kind of music is more like an imagined map - there is no predetermined route through it or conclusion to draw - our understanding of it is given the freedom to find itself... [/b]
and for the listener to be happily lost within it.

#32358 02/13/09 10:24 PM
T
T
Quote:
I think (or hope) it'll be one of those albums that you need to hear as a whole before any possible judgement can be made. I'm sure it'll make sense in its entirety.

Let's hope so! Actually, I tend to religiously steer away from hearing previews of things. I doubt I will hear anything of MLC or ASL until one or both CDs is in my hands. It is just my way ... wink

#32359 02/13/09 10:31 PM
T
T
Imperfect Hymn? Well it sure whoops the asses of those dirges we used to be forced to sing in morning assemblies. laugh

If this is representative of the quality of the Lost City it seems the streets are paved with gold.

#32360 02/13/09 11:58 PM
Gosh!

I do like both of the Lost City tracks.

#32361 02/14/09 01:01 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
I prefer this side of John's music to the electronic stuff with Louis.
I'll agree with that, but go one step further and say that recently I've come to like ALL of John's work as a whole, rather more than I like any single piece or side of it. I feel I'm begining to grasp the Gestalt psychology of it now.
Everything he records seems to come from one central idea, a vastly different manifestation of the same fundamental vision. Each subsequent release (including the emergent artwork/writing) adds something to my understanding of the whole, and explores the relationship between all the parts.

Inspirational.

I think I first really began to 'see' this when I heard Metanym on Cathedral Oceans III, which is exactly that - a piece of music that encompasses everything that has gone before it, and captures the essence of what it all means.
Just played it again now, and it works so perfectly.

These two new albums really define something for me - and I've only heard the samples!!!

#32362 02/14/09 10:12 AM
C
C
Martin, I totally agree with your analysis. I was about to post my thoughts before I'd read your last comments. I thought exactly the same when I first heard 'Metanym' - a good close to the CO collection as well.
I would further like to add that what is of interest to me is if some of the ideas that were coming up around the time of the original CO stuff - that up til now only survived on the bootlet from the Shrewsbury gig in 87 - are explored on MLC. There were some very different directions on some of those tracks, even a Japanese/theme from David Lloyd George (was it called Chia Mi?)/Forbidden Colours type piece. When it was posted that John has been working on some of the instrumentals for a while, I did hope that this is the case. However, what is great about his continuous output is that you'll hope a certain thread emerges on an album, then it doesn't appear and then you'll hear it 'repurposed' into someting else. In a word 'Magnificent'. Quiet Man narrative played to 'My Lost City' in Leeds this year anyone?
Role on the 23rd Feb.
Cheers

#32363 02/14/09 07:19 PM
C
C
Quote:
I've come to like ALL of John's work as a whole...
Everything he records seems to come from one central idea, a vastly different manifestation of the same fundamental vision. Each subsequent release (including the emergent artwork/writing) adds something to my understanding of the whole, and explores the relationship between all the parts.
Birdsong, could this quote from Camus (which I spotted inside the booklet to Scott 4, earlier today laugh ) sum up what’s going on:

“A man’s work is nothing but his slow trek to rediscover through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened.”

As John continues to successfully realize the different avenues of his creativity the fundamental 'image/message' of his work over these last 30 years will possibly emerge as a revealing statement to whatever unconscious motivation has generated this lifelong output.

#32364 02/14/09 09:50 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Excellent. Sounds about right to me

Thanks

#32365 02/15/09 11:32 AM
The both tracks are brilliant!

Looking forward listening to the hole CD....!
smile

#32366 02/16/09 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow Man:

smile
I don't think you'll get much sound out of the CD's hole. laugh

#32367 02/16/09 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Atom Man:
Quote:
[b]
smile
I don't think you'll get much sound out of the CD's hole. laugh [/b]
There's always one, isn't there?

#32368 02/16/09 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
smile
There's always one, isn't there?[/b]
Why yes, they have to have one or you wouldn't be able to play them laugh

#32369 02/16/09 01:29 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
smile
eek Ah, think there is more chance to listen to the whole than the hole of the CD... laugh laugh laugh

#32370 02/20/09 05:56 AM
Quote:
smile
I thought perhaps you were outing yourself as a Courtney Love fan and meant "Live Through This" -- easily the best Hole CD, just not sure what it had to do with John Foxx! wink

#32371 02/20/09 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lele:
Quote:
[b]Looking forward listening to the hole CD....!
smile
I thought perhaps you were outing yourself as a Courtney Love fan and meant "Live Through This" -- easily the best Hole CD, just not sure what it had to do with John Foxx! wink [/b]
laugh

#32372 02/24/09 04:14 PM
Just checked Townsend and my copy of My Lost City was posted today, so fingers crossed it'll be with me tomorrow. YIPPEE.

Peter laugh

#32373 02/24/09 04:31 PM
Having read your post Peter, I just logged in and checked my order status - and it said "SENT ON 25/02/09"... They've managed to post it in the future!

#32374 02/24/09 11:38 PM
G
Gem Offline
G
'Sent from the future'? Have you identified yourself to them as a Doctor Who fan, then? wink

#32375 02/25/09 09:33 AM
Q
Q
My Lost hole ? Sorry,been looking in the future for it.Hitched a Moebius Strip back...

#32376 02/26/09 11:17 AM
H
H
Just received my copy in this morning's post, which is pretty impressive considering I only ordered it online yesterday lunchtime. wink

I was actually undecided about this one as I've found some of John's instrumental work (particularly TCM) doesn't work so well without visuals and tends to be a bit too much like background music. However, I had a listen to the tracks on Myspace and was persuaded - looking forward to a pleasant evening with the headphones and the phone off the hook!

#32377 02/26/09 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
Just received my copy in this morning's post, which is pretty impressive considering I only ordered it online yesterday lunchtime. wink
That was fast! Then again I don't see the point in pre-ordering. Anyway I'm hoping mine will have arrived this morning...

#32378 02/26/09 12:33 PM
I'm still undecided about My Lost City. I will look forward to reading the reviews in the coming days.

It do like the two tracks on MySpace, especially Imperfect Hymn.

#32379 02/26/09 03:29 PM
My Lost City

Think Of Cathedral Oceans Mixed with Tiny Colour Movies, then muliply that thought by 10.

In the words of my friend over at AFE, simply stunning.

This has got to be Foxx's best instrumental (I use that word cautiously, as we have the heavenly Latinesque vocals of CO) album.

"Hawksmoor Orbital" and "Scene 27-Intro to The Voice Behind the Wallpaper, Trellick Tower 3am" (this track is just so beautiful) are standouts for me on first listen.

Anyone doubting this album, dispel those doubts right now, Foxx has delivered a winner (yet again).

#32380 02/26/09 05:14 PM
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by quietrumrunnerman:

For me, JF is the kind of artist who,upon encountering their first synth will think:' I could get away with pressing the demo button and alternate the pre-sets? No,perhaps I can explore some avenues less travelled.'
I appreciate the sentiment,
but you're being somewhat anachronistic - the sorts of synths John Foxx first encountered (miniMoog, Arp Odyssey, EMS AKS/VCS3) didn't even have memories to let you store the sounds, never mind presets or 'demo' buttons.
And if you listen to a certain album called "Metamatic", you'll here what John Foxx did with the preset rhythms of the Roland CR78 drum machine! He didn't bother faffing around trying to program his own! smile

#32381 02/26/09 05:16 PM
F
F
I got the album today,
have listened to it through and thought it was lovely smile

I can see why he didn't want to release this stuff at the time, when he was trying to have a career as a pop star who appeared on Top of the Pops and had his photo in 'Smash Hits',
but who cares about that sort of rubbish in 2009!

I am now mostly reading on the Interweb about Plague Pits!

#32382 02/26/09 06:50 PM
It really is fun searching the song titles on Google image search...

#32383 02/26/09 06:57 PM
Are they all real places then...?

Funny how he should end up playing @ Cargo so often which is just off Shoreditch which inspired so much of this.

I walked past the end of Holywell Lane last October on my way to meet at the pub. cool

#32384 02/26/09 07:06 PM
I just double-checked and the address of The Garden studio is indeed Holywell Lane. But I guess most of you already knew that!

Hawksmoor church seems to have been restored http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2004/sep/06/architecture.regeneration

And Trellick Tower is utterly horrid! laugh

#32385 02/26/09 07:09 PM
I have to admit, contrary to my expectations, the artwork and music don't quite go together for me - which is a first.

I probably need to stare at it for longer.

#32386 02/26/09 07:10 PM
Only ref I can find to Piranesi is:-

"Giovanni Battista Piranesi's series of etchings of imaginary prisons, Le Carceri, in the British Museum

Anyway back to the album.Love it.

Stand outs for me are Imperfect Hymn & Barbican Brakhage

#32387 02/26/09 07:17 PM
It's all much more Cathedral Oceans than I was expecting, but it has some really lovely pieces.

I think the epic "Imperfect Hymn" steals the show for me, followed by "Holywell Lane" - I can see why these were put up on the MySpace playlist.

I also really like "Hidden Asssembly" and "Just Passing Through" - if only it were longer than 45 seconds!

The opening notes of "Barbican Brakhage" are lovely... very "Garden"!

#32388 02/27/09 10:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow... listening to My Lost City again... and for me the stand-out tracks are Unbra Sumus and Barbican Brakhage, the latter being (in my opinion) John's most emotionally charged piece since Hand-Held Skies.

#32389 02/27/09 10:43 AM
I'm sad to say I'm slightly frustrated with My Lost City. There's something about it that just doesn't 'work' for me. It feels a bit like "Cathedral Oceans 4" in disguise, which is not what I was expecting.

I guess musically I was hoping for something in between Translucence and Tiny Colour Movies (although I'm not sure why, since I'd already heard "Imprefect Hymn" on MySpace...), whereas what we have is mostly church-organ like pieces and CO-style chanting vocals.

For me, the music doesn't match the imagery, which is a first for a John Foxx album.

I think, in my head, that album cover had been 'reserved' for Urban Motets, so for me personally, that beautiful and stunning city image works so perfectly with the idea of instrumentals similar in style to "Glimmer" (as I seem to recall the description of 'Motets), that there's just a big mismatch with the album artwork and the music of My Lost City.

What I'm seeing in my mind, is a semi flooded studio gradually becoming overgrown with vines; huge, gothic cathedrals, and churchyards. Not shimmering, glimmering city lights and tall buildings.

Since John's lovely sleevenotes denote that all the music here was recorded in The Garden, in the early 80s, this would indicate that the songs here are the early incarnations of Cathedral Oceans - and certainly some of these pieces are very similar to what you can hear on the Shrewsbury 1988 bootleg.

There is a lot of emotion in the music, and it's all a lot darker than Cathedral Oceans, some of it sounding quite funerary and saddening. Maybe that's the mood of these poor little pieces of song, having been locked away in John's musical vaults for all these years!

It's perhaps a lot more varied than any of the CO albums and certainly very moving; with "Imperfect Hymn" and "Holywell Lane" probably being the most diverse and for me, the best. I find it all slightly samey after "Magnetic Fields".

This is really John's "Church" and choral album.. Maybe it should have been called "The Church" and repurposed the booklet of the same name for it - I think it would have been a lot more fitting.

Yesterday evening the first couple of listens excited me. Playing it this morning I found to be quite a disappointing experience.

Then again, I'm sure I said the same thing about Translucence + Drift Music previously...

#32390 02/27/09 11:46 AM
T
T
Quote:

What I'm seeing in my mind, is a semi flooded studio gradually becoming overgrown with vines; huge, gothic cathedrals, and churchyards. Not shimmering, glimmering city lights and tall buildings.

Aren't they sort of the same thing, just years removed from each other?

I haven't heard MLC myself yet, saving that for tonight.

Nice to read your thoughts Alex.

#32391 02/27/09 11:57 AM
Hmm, good point, I suppose they are the same thing - just at different points in time.

As you can probably tell from the above, I'm currently a bit undecided about MLC, at least from a first impressions point of view. One thing is for sure though, there isn't a bad track on the CD.

But like I said, I really didn't like Translucence when I first got it and now, I absolutely love it, so I certainly think MLC will be a 'grower'.

#32392 02/27/09 12:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
As you can probably tell from the above, I'm currently a bit undecided about MLC, at least from a first impressions point of view. One thing is for sure though, there isn't a bad track on the CD.
Hang on a minute, a few posts ago you said...

Quote:
I'm sad to say I'm slightly frustrated with My Lost City. There's something about it that just doesn't 'work' for me. Playing it this morning I found to be quite a disappointing experience.
And now you say that there isn't a bad track on the CD?

#32393 02/27/09 12:04 PM
Administrator
Administrator
There's a full version of Barbican Brakhage online at http://www.myspace.com/foxxmetamatic now

I am currently enjoying the 'first play', and as I haven't got the album its a rather lovely experience. cool

"Pater Noster" meets "Cinema"

I can see I'm going to have to revisit my Latin mass.

Super stuff

#32394 02/27/09 12:06 PM
The album would certainly sound grand in your church wink

#32395 02/27/09 01:03 PM
Administrator
Administrator
It most certainly will. Thanks for the reminder

Once I get my copy through I have a treat in store laugh

Nights are (slowly) warming up too, so I won't have to freeze for the duration. It will be the perfect accompaniment to an evening replacing some of the floor tiles...

#32396 02/27/09 01:07 PM
M
M
Quote:
The album would certainly sound grand in your church wink
I was thinking that too, Alex. cool

#32397 02/27/09 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blurred:
Quote:
[b] As you can probably tell from the above, I'm currently a bit undecided about MLC, at least from a first impressions point of view. One thing is for sure though, there isn't a bad track on the CD.
Hang on a minute, a few posts ago you said...

Quote:
I'm sad to say I'm slightly frustrated with My Lost City. There's something about it that just doesn't 'work' for me. Playing it this morning I found to be quite a disappointing experience.
And now you say that there isn't a bad track on the CD? [/b]
That would be because I never said there was a bad track on it!

Initially, it just hasn't grabbed me in the way I was expecting it would. But that doesn't mean to say it's not good - far from it; it's beautiful. Just not what I was hoping for.

#32398 02/27/09 04:05 PM
C
C
Townsend appear to have got all the UK orders to arrive on the same day, as my copy was also waiting for me when I got home last night. I’m looking forward to hearing it, though it’ll have to wait a few days, but all the posts here enthusiastically discussing its merits have certainly got me fired up, and hopefully I’ll be out walking around the town when I experience it.

Have to agree that the booklet is lovely and the text is a very interesting read, from John's personal descriptions, and his inspirational connections: “Victorian psychic experiments that eventually arrived at electricity…”

One thing for me though, the story behind the work just does not conjure up that city image on the CD front. John’s musical vision of the ghosts and the past existences that live all around us in cities makes me think more of his Garden photographs, or his cover illustrations for novels, with the dissolving figures from the past, and the fragments of ancient and modern detritus all floating together to the surface. Its this kind of atmosphere rather than that interesting, but wholly futuristic looking city on the cover that I think of when reading about the background to the My Lost City music,

but perhaps I’ll change my mind after listening to it!

Quote:
For me, the music doesn't match the imagery, which is a first for a John Foxx album.
or maybe not! laugh

Quote:
...And Trellick Tower is utterly horrid! laugh
I often used to go past it. a great landmark and a classic 60’s building, built by the council and designed by the great Emo Goldfinger, google wikipedia and see what you’d have to pay to live there now, (oh and can John call one of his next instrumentals ‘Anniesland Court’, a similar looking 60’s building I know quite well from my home town! laugh )

Quote:
There is a lot of emotion in the music, and it's all a lot darker than Cathedral Oceans, some of it sounding quite funerary and saddening. Maybe that's the mood of these poor little pieces of song, having been locked away in John's musical vaults for all these years!
interesting review Alex S.

#32399 02/27/09 07:21 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments about My Lost City. The music is magnificent. Imperfect Hymn an ideal opener and it's nice to hear the full version. Holywell Lane just flows along at a nice pace and takes me along with it. Scene 27 intro... Just finishes off this album nicely. Although it's been suggested this could be CO4 I find this album deeper,raw and moodier with a lot more purpose and emotion.

I'm surprised it has taken John so long to decide to release these tracks but I'm glad he has. Some tracks John performed live back in 1988 at the Shrewsbury CO concert. Barbican Blakhage, Hawkmoor Orbital, Umbra Sumus. Scene 27 It's nice to be able to hear these in their original form (without the coughing on the boot) composed in a studio. I've alway loved the CO live bootleg warts 'n' all because when I hear it I get a certain sense of fulfillment from John's performance as he must put a lot of time and effort into that one performance and for me it reflected it.

I wonder what John had in his mind when he first recorded these. The thought that crosses my mind when I play MLC, is the images in "The Church" booklet that came with the The Garden. I can't feel cities in the music but I sense wide open spaces.

If I was to see the Artwork in a shop not knowing the music of John Foxx it would conjure up a total different vision of what I'd expected musically inside. So the Art work doesn't work in my opinion.

I enjoyed John's notes. Very easy to read and to the point, unlike the notes in Glimmer.

If anyone is in any doubt about purchasing this CD, then musically I thoroughly recommend it.

Now the age old question, what other little gems does John have hidden away? CO live bootleg had more tracks.

Martin, If John performed this in your church I'd be down to Southampton straight away.

Peter

#32400 02/27/09 09:54 PM
C
C
Quote:
There's a full version of [b]Barbican Brakhage online at http://www.myspace.com/foxxmetamatic now

I am currently enjoying the 'first play', and as I haven't got the album its a rather lovely experience. cool

"Pater Noster" meets "Cinema"

I can see I'm going to have to revisit my Latin mass.

Super stuff [/b]
The track is John's version of Tantum Ergo from Benediction. You can read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benediction_of_the_Blessed_Sacrament

It looks like the long lost gems from the Shrewsbury Cathedral concert (in their original studio recordings) are finally in the hands of John's most faithful.

My Lost City seems more like a twilight zone...twilight's last gleaming perhaps...

Chris wink

#32401 02/28/09 08:48 AM
C
C
Hope to receive it today but like Alex I'm going to struggle to link the imagery of the city with the music :rolleyes: . Although I'm very intrigued and enthusiastic as ever.

Perhaps John's referring to my lost tape (he could find more of these laugh ). The CO pieces here could have been the CO album he was working on back in 1981 at the time of The Garden.

Was the concert at St Chad's Cathedral, Shrewsbury (Thursday the 17th of March 1988 at 8:00pm) the showing of the original CO?

The first CO was published and released in 1995 and 1997 respectively. Somehow through the years it appears that John decided to record new tracks so that they would flow to match the moving graphics that would appear on the first DVD.

Looking back at what I wrote at the time of listening to the CDR of the Shrewsbury concert. The first instrumental 6 tracks I don't recognize and are probably new but interesting tracks. The second half of the concert he performs 3 tracks from Cathedral Oceans I/II and 3 from Latin Mass.

7) A Quiet Splendour
8) Ad Infinitum
9) Sunset Rising
10)Sanctus Sanctus
11)Tantum Ergo
12)?

It appears that from the concert three tracks are from the official Cathedral Oceans albums ie Sunset Rising and early versions of Ad Infinitum and Quiet Splendour.

Track 11) is Barbican Brackhage, I'm pretty sure that tracks 10) and 12) are also on My Lost City. Now for the six instrumentals, I will soon find out.

Why didn't John give these tracks "Cathedral Oceans" type titles? Why has he disguised them with Urban titles? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, thanks for releasing them!!! laugh

Chris wink

#32402 02/28/09 02:10 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
Why didn't John give these tracks "Cathedral Oceans" type titles? Why has he disguised them with Urban titles? :rolleyes:
But a fair few of the tracks in the Cathedral Oceans series have urban titles - Fog Structures, Spiral Overture, Serene Velocity - while a number of others aren't overtly 'religious', instead they have titles which are very Foxxian - Through Summer Rooms, Shimmer Symmetry, Invisible Architecture.

Maybe John felt that he'd said everything he wanted to say as far as Cathedral Oceans was concerned.

I don't suppose it really matters - the main thing is that we now have another album of material to listen to, and (going by the comments made so far) everyone's enjoying it. laugh

Rob

#32403 02/28/09 03:23 PM
You're absolutely right there - a new JF album of new (kind of) songs.

I agree with you Peter and as I had previously said, this feels more like an album to accompany "The Church".

So I stand by my opinion of the imagery not matching the album - it doesn't work from that point of view, but musically it is magnificent. And it's certainly better than if it had been "Cathedral Oceans 4" or some kind of "Cathedral Oceans demos". It's a lot darker than the CO albums though, bearing the closest similarity in parts to COIII - but to be honest, I think I might like this album more than COII or III.

It has been repurposed in a way that makes it a new album of previously unreleased material from the vaults. Like you say Peter, I wonder what else resides in there! Maybe one day we'll get Urban Motets with new artwork! wink

Although I've been up and down with this album since I got it, it is fair to say that a lot of the music has really made an impression on me - most of all "Imperfect Hymn", "Holywell Lane" and "Barbican Brakhage". Simply beautiful. Very moving.

I really loved the sound of those early CO pieces on the grubby old Shrewsbury recording, so I'm thrilled to bits to have them in properly recorded studio quality.

#32404 03/02/09 11:55 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
I don't suppose it really matters - the main thing is that we now have another album of material to listen to, and (going by the comments made so far) everyone's enjoying it. laugh

Rob
Absolutely. From the tracks I've heard on mySpace all I can say is that these pieces are amazing.

My Lost City appears to be the fifth John Foxx album of the 80s (well 75% of the original CO album that Virgin turned away).

Rob would you also consider Electrofear an album conceived in the 80s or does it belong to the 90s?

Chris wink

#32405 03/02/09 05:27 PM
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
I can't feel cities in the music but I sense wide open spaces.

Hi Peter, funny that you can sense wide open spaces, for me my first impression was of dense claustrophobia. As the city changes and evolves and towers brightly around him, I can feel The Quiet Man trying to evoke a simpler time (earlier or later), underground, in the dark. In that sense, the imagery works perfectly for me, the man in a pool of light (as detailed on the back cover), going to work at night and disappearing from view wondering what will come next and what is next to be replaced. Although it feels like pre-Cathedral Oceans, I would describe it almost as the anti-Pleasures of Electricity.

But that was just my first impression. More listens to follow of course.

#32406 03/02/09 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Although it feels like pre-Cathedral Oceans, I would describe it almost as the anti-Pleasures of Electricity.
That's a very interesting analysis, and I have to agree. I've listened to this album a lot since getting it, and having got past my initial music/imagery hurdle, I've discovered a very dark and album indeed, that is quite claustrophobic in places.

I think because I have associated that particular image with The Pleasures of Electricity and Urban Motets for so long, I expected it to be more electronic and less vocal, with the kind of 'city' feel that TPOE, Shifting City and even Tiny Colour Movies gives you, when it is actually quite the opposite.

So while I still don't feel cities in the music, I do find it a very organic and textured album. It really is like the 'dark side' of Cathedral Oceans. No birdsong, so morning sunlight. Just darkness, wet stonework, brittle woodwork and that kind of damp, cool air you get when you peer down a well, through a crack in a wall or long empty railway tunnel.

The music makes me think of all sort of thing, and forgotten rooms riddled with overgrown plantlife. There are some open spaces in the album though, particularly on tracks like Barbican Brakhage; those vast echoes remind me of that feeling of smallness when you look up at the ceiling of a grand cathedral.

There is a sense of isolation or solitude in some of the music too. "Holywell Lane" reminds me of walking empty streets at night in the Autumn, when the ground is covered with soft fallen leaves.

It's almost like you have to burrow through that modern city on the cover to get to what it was built on. There's a great sense of nostalgia, with a hint of sadness.

Does this make sense, or have I lost the plot?! laugh

#32407 03/02/09 06:32 PM
I think we are all making sense but also getting different ideas from it.

The back cover picture is a close up of the front cover (bottom left under the bridge).

Its one of John's most literal covers,a man (probably in a grey suit) lost & dwarfed by the city around him.

Brilliant cover.

So its no surprise that some of the music sounds claustrophic with the new City closing in amongst his Lost City.

Remember that the area around Shoreditch & the Garden has largely been redeveloped since he was inspired to make this music in the early 80s

The skyline now looks more like the cover with the gerkin & other tall buildings in the background.

Now I dont know if I'm making sense laugh

#32408 03/02/09 06:37 PM
I'm glad that photo doesn't feature the gherkin! Actually, I think it's more like a giant suppository...

#32409 03/03/09 05:45 PM
Got my copy today and after a first listen it is......

GREAT!!! smile

#32410 03/03/09 08:33 PM
Just got my copy, too, and am currently listening to it. Too early to comment on the album as a whole, but so far, so good.

#32411 03/03/09 09:28 PM
F
F
I had mine on saturday as well, only played the first 2 tracks.
Tried it again last night but after a day of working outside I made it till the 3rd track this time ( fell asleep :p )
Going to give it another go tonight laugh

#32412 03/03/09 11:35 PM
C
C
Received my copy today and it's right now on my player. Pleased to hear Hawksmoor Orbital. Yes it's that mellow ending to the Shrewsbury Cathedral concert. Now where's Sanctus Sanctus? eek The first six instrumental pieces could be here. I'll familiarise myself with My Lost City and then onto the live recording.

The cover now makes more sense with John's liner notes.

We now have a lost cover and a lost tape released. The album is as good as Tiny Colour Movies and is purely analogue.

John, the Roland synth you use, is it a Jupiter-4 or a VP-330 Vocoder Plus? I can also hear a Juno-60 on some of the tracks.

Thanks for sharing these lost treasures with your fans!

Chris wink

#32413 03/03/09 11:38 PM
C
C
....aha! Sanctus Sanctus is now playing. Now let's see what John has called it...Trellick John? :rolleyes: ...Scene 27 :p

Chris wink

#32414 03/04/09 11:52 PM
F
F
there's VP-330 all over that album, yeah.

#32415 03/05/09 01:31 PM
The Archive
The Archive

#32416 03/05/09 01:58 PM
C
C
Thanks for posting the link Rob, its fascinating reading smile
lots of the town and city back water exploration I can relate to from the various places I've lived in, here in the north, and in the south.

#32417 03/05/09 02:00 PM
I've just finished reading it on MySpace (although it's easier on the Quiet Man because there are paragraph breaks!!) - but what a delightful and insightful, educational and interesting read.

In fact, I'm gonna have to put the album on!

You can really hear and 'feel' the environment these pieces were created in, in the music.

This is clearly an endless source of inspiration for John - reading it, so many of his songs, from instrumental pieces to electronic ones flashed through my head. The line about imagining his parents aged twenty walking together brought me to "Uptown/Downtown" and the romantic urban nostalgia of its parent album.

There were several parts I could relate to too. It's funny how you often find yourself walking down the same streets as your parents or relatives; sometimes without even knowing or by coincidence. Treading the same path in an almost fate-like way. And like John said, sometimes, it's your own.

I've seen Sheffield change dramatically over the last 15 years. This is my shifting city. I've seen it go from a slightly neglected and scruffy town of old-fashioned architecture, still with hints of the war all these years later - to a bright and vibrant modern city; new buildings popping up everywhere and a constantly evolving skyline.

It's such a different place now to what it was when I was about fifteen and began exploring it by myself.

Maybe this accounts for the strong emotional attachment I have to so many of John's city-themed songs/albums, and I'm sure a lot of other fans can relate to this similarly.

#32418 03/05/09 02:40 PM
H
H
Quote:
I've just finished reading it on MySpace (although it's easier on the Quiet Man because there are paragraph breaks!!) - but what a delightful and insightful, educational and interesting read.

In fact, I'm gonna have to put the album on!

You can really hear and 'feel' the environment these pieces were created in, in the music.

This is clearly an endless source of inspiration for John - reading it, so many of his songs, from instrumental pieces to electronic ones flashed through my head. The line about imagining his parents aged twenty walking together brought me to "Uptown/Downtown" and the romantic urban nostalgia of its parent album.

There were several parts I could relate to too. It's funny how you often find yourself walking down the same streets as your parents or relatives; sometimes without even knowing or by coincidence. Treading the same path in an almost fate-like way. And like John said, sometimes, it's your own.

I've seen Sheffield change dramatically over the last 15 years. This is my shifting city. I've seen it go from a slightly neglected and scruffy town of old-fashioned architecture, still with hints of the war all these years later - to a bright and vibrant modern city; new buildings popping up everywhere and a constantly evolving skyline.

It's such a different place now to what it was when I was about fifteen and began exploring it by myself.

Maybe this accounts for the strong emotional attachment I have to so many of John's city-themed songs/albums, and I'm sure a lot of other fans can relate to this similarly.
As one who grew up in and lived in Sheffield, I'd have to agree with you there, Alex. Many's the time I've walked down some of Sheffield's scruffy backstreets almost feeling like I was The Quiet Man!

And I can certainly relate to John's "Electricity And Ghosts" article. Back in 1991 some friends and I rented a room just off Division Street in Sheffield that had once been a cutlery works but had been converted into rehearsal rooms. It was tucked away down an overgrown cobbled alleyway and, although it seemed to be on the verge of falling down, was a place of great character. Like John, my collaborators and I would spend hours down there making strange experimental synthetic music that was inspired at least in part by our surroundings. Often we'd carry on working through the night, only stopping as the sun rose to head off to our respective day jobs.

It was owned by Steve Singleton, one time sax player with ABC and was reputed to have at one point been Pulp's rehearsal room (though I later found out that was a bit of a running gag as just about every rehearsal room in Sheffield was at some point claimed to have been used by Pulp!). The now quite well-known Richard Hawley and his band were in the room opposite.

Anyway, ezxcuse the name dropping. I'm trying to make the point that the thought processes behind "My Lost City" will be familiar to anyone who spent much of their youth hanging around band rehearsal rooms that more often than not were former industrial premises that had fallen into disuse. Much of the music that emanated out of them must have been inspired in part by their history and atmosphere, albeit subconsciously.

And my own lost city is indeed lost. Some time in the 1990s the building was pulled down and the site is now part of an indoor shopping arcade called "The Forum". Yet even in those trendy boutiques and coffee shops lurks the ghosts of me and my friends and our twentysomething selves.
One day I'll go back there to meet them.......

#32419 03/05/09 02:50 PM
Just behind Division Street, on Wellington Street lies a spot where my freelance design career really started to take shape. A small independent printer and publisher run by a guy who used to be in short-lived Sheffield band They Must Be Russians.

The building was a wreck; more of a pile of crumbling stonework with makeshift floors and ex-windows than a building. God knows how he got several printing presses in there, and its a miracle that they didn't fall through the floor. But again, a building that pointed directly to the city's industrial heritage.

On my way to the Devonshire Cat one day last year I noticed that the building had been flattened. Fortunately, my printer had moved to nice, new premises on the other side of town.

An annoying block of student flats resides there now but maybe there's a ghost of me running up and down the uneven stone stairs delivering artwork!

#32420 03/05/09 08:33 PM
L
L
I have the album on order but wanted to mention that Trellick Tower is an extremely iconic building. So much so, that The Passions were photographed next to it for the insert to their Michael & Miranda LP back in 1979 http://www.thepassions.co.uk/albums.html#3
It's the building on the right, behind guitarist Clive Timperley (man on right).

I've been meaning to get to Trellick for some photography but having read John's "Electricity & Ghosts", I think Shoreditch deserves a re-visit first!

#32421 03/05/09 10:43 PM
WOW
Just finished reading Electricity and Ghosts.

Thank you John for sharing some of your thoughts behind My Lost City This article is probably the first time John has given such an insight into part of his life especially his childhood dreams of visiting London and writing about his parents.

By some strange coincidence I just watched all the Quatermass films and TV serials. I can so relate when John mentions The Pit.

Peter smile

#32422 03/05/09 11:02 PM
I totally agree Peter,

Actually I think the whole blog should have been in the sleeve notes.

Brian

#32423 03/06/09 09:33 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
Thank you John for sharing some of your thoughts behind My Lost City This article is probably the first time John has given such an insight into part of his life
Have to agree completely, I'd only managed to have one complete play through of the whole album before reading it, and I've now been listening to it since with new 'eyes' smile
I also wish all of the text of this article had been on the CD booklet, it would have made this quite a special release.

'Quatermass' - funnily enough in January I was pondering buying a DVD in the sale's, and I remember well as a child seeing the Hammer film on TV, and that scene with the policeman recounting his fears of the dark has always haunted me laugh

#32424 03/06/09 09:53 AM
I think it would have been good to have had all or most of that text in the booklet instead of the repeated pictures, which I don't feel add any value. Certainly, had I read all of that before playing the album for the first time, I would have interpreted it in a totally different way, and probably not got so hung up on the sleeve image.

But, the abridged version in the booklet does hit on all the most significant aspects and makes very good reading.

#32425 03/06/09 12:29 PM
I’ve been working long hours lately – get up and leave home for work in the dark, leave work and go home in the dark. In a bid to break up the monotony and depressing early morning/late evening underground journeys I’ve started walking home, and this album has been an absolute godsend to walk with. If I time it right, I’m usually passing St.Pauls and working my way along Ludgate Hill during Hawksmoor Orbital. If I had one complaint, it’s that the album isn’t long enough, petering out as I reach the very top of St. James’ Park.

I've read and re-read Ghosts & Electricity a few times now, it feels weird because most of those streets are where I live. Will now have to stop for a pint or two in The Ship and Blue Ball (if it’s still there – quite honestly I’ve never noticed it and buildings have a habit of disappearing round here).
Beautiful album and a fantastic essay - I hope we get more of this.

#32426 03/06/09 02:04 PM
H
H
Quote:
....aha! Sanctus Sanctus is now playing. Now let's see what John has called it...Trellick John? :rolleyes: ...Scene 27 :p

Chris wink
Unless I'm missing something, isn't it "Umbro Sumus" that features the "Sanctus Sanctus" refrain? Best track on the album!

#32427 03/06/09 04:00 PM
C
C
When the CD dropped through the letterbox last week I really wanted to do it justice and with no time to listen to it I was saving it for a visit to my home town in Glasgow last weekend, thinking that it may well be an album to listen to while walking through a place that held many memories and had seen many changes for me. Unfortunately none of that happened and I had to settle instead for a short afternoon walk around where I live here, which holds no memories, or emotional connections. The sun was out and it was seemingly a nice day for late February, but it was all not quite as it appeared to be from indoors, as once I got outside it was totally freezing, the sun was also really quite blinding, and a cold wind blasted my earphones as I started to listen to the CD while walking along one of those vanished railway routes that have long since become a wooded walkway and cycle-path, but this was kind of fitting after all as ‘My Lost City’ was also not quite the album that I had anticipated.
Apart from some tracks that immediately get a hold of your imagination, by the end of the album I was left feeling somewhat removed from the experience of it, and didn’t feel in any rush to get back to playing it.

After reading through the posts here and then in particular the ‘Ghosts And Electricity’ link, this together with the fact that I wasn’t able to get ‘Imperfect Hymn’ out of my head, it was haunting me alright, I gave the album another whirl on the travel to work yesterday, and I certainly felt that it was journeying music, and beyond its initial church affinity it is really quite an alternative urban soundtrack. Maybe I’m at a disadvantage, or even an advantage here, but I’m only familiar with C.O.1, and with TCM I’ve never taken that to heart, also I know nothing of the ‘Shrewsbury '88 bootleg’, (John was sadly off my radar then, though his ghost did surprisingly appear from time to time in the 90’s!), so maybe otherwise I’d now also be thinking that My Lost City was a C.O.4, or a TCM2 in disguise, but for me this album is a fresh experience.

I still think the CD cover photo isn’t quite right, when you read Johns back-story to the work, then a city portrayed on the front is of course logical, and the fact that he’s not really referring to a visible city, (as is on the cover), that the music is speaking of the changing or invisible city beneath or beyond, allows you to argue that this particular tweaked photograph is after all a suitable cover image, that it doesn’t matter just what the city is. But personally I think its far too stylized, too pulp fiction, it draws too much fantasy attention to itself, especially when the music seems to be more about what we cant actually see, but can only sense around us. For me a more realistic and obscure or non-descript scene from a city, like a random shot or a still from one of those forgotten lives that John has eagerly collected from market stalls would have worked far better as a cover image.

And of the music? well, there are certainly one or two tracks here that are among Johns very best work, though frustratingly there’s also one or two that just don’t have that Foxxian magic for me.
‘Piranesi Motorcade’, doesn’t seem to have anything ‘Foxx like’ about it at all, I can just imagine walking into a church and hearing this playing, the music fitting perfectly into the scene, and then someone saying to me “oh that’s that John Foxx on the organ”, and me replying, really? no way, I didn’t know he played church music.

‘Magnetic Fields’ is quite a weak ambient track, but it does seem to work as a bridge between ‘Holywell Lane’ and ‘Just Passing Through’.

‘Umbra Sumus’ sounds like a derivative C.O. track, and a bit dull, though I appreciate that it was very likely part of the genesis of the C.O. sound.

‘Scene 27, Intro To The Voice Behind The Wallpaper, Trellick Tower, 3am’, a great title! (though perhaps it has less to do with any ghosts of the past and more the possibility that John might have been round late at a friend’s flat in the Tower after a night out and he could hear the neighbours arguing through the wall?), again its nice church music, but its just not as mysterious in that way that John can be, maybe it will grow on me, John certainly sounds happy singing it!

‘Hawksmoor Orbital’, this is my number one track on the album, yes on the surface it does sound like church music, but here the balance is right, underneath there’s this restrained surging of something tidal, something massive far below in the depths climbing upwards, with Johns voice riding along high on top. A whole album’s length of this track please John, building up very slowly and softly, and continuing on very Very Loudly to a mountainous reverberating climax…

‘Holywell Lane’ is for me John’s most romantic track, if there had been any direct follow up to The Garden album back in 81’ which retained the darker intensity of the Garden sound while also predicting the more pastel direction on 85’s IMW, then this track would surely have been on that imaginary album.

‘Imperfect Hymn’ a great opener for the album, really gets into your mind and takes root there like a shadow of pure delight, and a few more tracks like this would have been fantastic indeed.

‘Barbican Brakhage’ in mood it’s the opposite of ‘Imperfect Hymn’, but boy what a track, John’s happy, almost rejoicefull, but its not forced out of character, not a love struck deviation from the Foxxian page book, he’s bathing in the sunlight alright, but still got that mysterious edge…

I have just one particular comment about the album, which I feel is a missed opportunity, if only the album had been mixed so that each track flowed directly into the next one. The gaps between tracks loses some of the atmosphere and momentum that could have otherwise conveyed a continuous musical journey through a lost city.

This is quite an interesting album, maybe even important in what it offers us in its best parts, and I know its highly unlikely but deep down I‘d like to hope that it may give rise to an even greater follow up in the future.

‘My Lost City, The Remix…’

#32428 03/08/09 10:35 AM
I aggree with all the former comments here - it's a beautiful album. It is nice to have studio recordings of some tracks from the Shrewsbury boot; which I like a lot (one of my favourites). The best track is Scene27.
A special thanks to John for posting Electricity and Ghosts! It's nice to read the story behind this music. As Peter wrote, a great insight into John's life. I enjoyed it a lot!!

So what is next on my personal wishlist?
A CONCERT OF MY LOST CITY/ MIRRORBALL!

I would be there!!!

wink Andreas

#32429 03/08/09 06:46 PM
It just occurred to me - "Fog" would have sounded perfectly at home on My Lost City.

#32430 03/08/09 06:55 PM
I've just come back from fantastic weekend in Stratford upon Avon.

Walking around Shakespeare's birthplace exhibition I was surprised to come accross an ancient map of Shoreditch where he first lived when he came to London.

There in the middle of the map is Holywell Lane.

It would seem that Theatre in London started around Shoreditch /Holywell Lane according to a few recent news stories.

#32431 03/08/09 08:07 PM
T
T
Quote:
It just occurred to me - "Fog" would have sounded perfectly at home on My Lost City.
I was pondering whether 'Fog' would fit well on MLC myself, Alex. And I think you're right. To me 'Fog' has a vaguely sinister air of mystery to it which I think could evoke the atmosphere of a 'Baker Street pea-souper'. I also got to thinking how much our interpretation of impressionistic music is dominated by the title. Had 'Fog' been called 'St Paul's In Fog' we would all be thinking it should have been on MLC rather than Disc 2 of The Garden.

#32432 03/09/09 08:16 AM
Quote:
Yessss!! - I thought about that too Alex even before hearing MLC. Ambient-y instrumental piece recorded in early 80s mmmmm.

#32433 03/09/09 10:54 AM
There's clearly a dank, damp, dripping watery kind of quality to "Fog" - at least in my ears - as well as the idea of looking at glimmering lamplights and distant windows through a dense shroud of fog.

It really would have worked on this album... "St Paul's in Fog" - definately! wink

#32434 03/09/09 10:52 PM
Administrator
Administrator
As I wait for this to arrive, I don't think I have looked forward to a Foxx album quite so much ever before.

Alongside the samples, everyone's early comments here are very interesting and really whet the appetite.

A Secret Life excites me in a similar way.

Being a Foxx fan has seldom featured so much anticipation - and its a great feeling cool

#32435 03/10/09 05:39 PM
T
T
Not entirely sure I'm with you guys on (in?) "Fog". I will play it again.

I have played "My Lost City" several more times, notably at dawn travelling on the train along the scenic coastal route from Plymouth to Exeter.

I think my earlier description of claustrophobic was perhaps slightly off. I would still say it is quite insular and melancholic, but with a real sense of hope (or false comfort?) at certain moments when the music builds. "Imperfect Hymn" sets the scene with its title, its ominous atmosphere, consistent pulse, and slightly anguished vocals. By "Scene 27" though, a way out has been found, a way to embrace change. Along with (the track) "The Garden", this is very much an alternative gateway to Cathedral Oceans.

It is a beautiful album and I cannot stop playing it.

#32436 03/10/09 06:30 PM
T
T
If anyone wants some great literature that will further their understanding of some of John's inspirations behind My Lost City, I can whole-heartedly recommend Peter Ackroyd's novel 'Hawksmoor'.

Also, any of Iain Sinclair's books can help to throw light on London's psychogeography and compliment MLC. His style is dense and pyrotechnical, with a mixture of piercing insights, and, ahem, wilder theories. smile

#32437 03/10/09 06:49 PM
Hi. Just received my copy of My Lost City today. Listening to it at the moment. So far I'm up to track 8. Already I'm hooked. Melancholy true but quite gorgeous also. It's amazing to think that these tracks have been sitting in the vaults for a while. So glad they have seen the light of day.

#32438 03/10/09 07:13 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:It is a beautiful album and I cannot stop playing it.
This morning traveling to work, pushing against the blinding sunlight and walking across the tall shadows cast on the ground, (as John would put it laugh ) My Lost City was the perfect partner on the journey, and “this is really a beautiful album” was also the description that was left in my mind. Maybe not every single part of it works for me, but I do feel there’s something very special going on with this work, its John on his own again and it’s a departure from the harder electro I’ve loved him and Louis for, will it be considered a classic by the majority of fans? interesting to see what happens over time, but for me it already contains some of Johns best songs within it, I’d put a few of them straight into my top ten favourites.

Many of the tracks are really very ‘catchy’, I cant get Barbican Brakhage out of my head at the moment, and I’m amazed at how instantly impressionable some of the tracks are, Scene 27’, which I initially implied in a previous post as being just nice church music, is actually a very beautiful song in its own right, in Johns own carefully restrained way its unashamedly joyous and optimistic. With no prior experience of the Shrewsbury tracks My Lost City really remains a fresh experience for me, only comment at present – I just wish there was more of it.

#32439 03/11/09 11:28 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by The Quiet Trees:
If anyone wants some great literature that will further their understanding of some of John's inspirations behind My Lost City, I can whole-heartedly recommend Peter Ackroyd's novel 'Hawksmoor'.
Hear! hear! cool

Quote:

So what is next on my personal wishlist?
A CONCERT OF MY LOST CITY/ MIRRORBALL!
Maybe I could Help with that... wink

Chris C is absolutely spot on with his understanding of some of the Latin parts.
The vocal elements of Brabican Brakhage are the opening words of the last two verses of Pange Lingua, a Mediaeval Latin hymn written by St Thomas Aquinas, more commonly known as Tantum Ergo.

and the last track Scene 27 - Intro to the Voice Behind The Wallpaper, Trellick Tower 3am is a beautiful rendition of another part of the Latin Mass, being the final words of the introduction to the Eucharistic Prayer of consecration - generally referred to as the Sanctus

Simply stunning.

#32440 03/12/09 01:24 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Just as we have invisible women, so we all have lost cities. And they mean something different to us all.

Three plays through, and I'm in awe of this wonderful album. It has inspired the following piece...

Her name was (and still is) Katherine. Some things change. Hand in my hand we walk these streets, visit these bars, and sit beside these rivers. Under trees, under railway arches, under the moon. As I sit, absorbing this music, I can feel her cool hand in mine again, the softness of her hair against my cheek as she rests her head on my shoulder. Forever in her tears. Its a bitterly cold night, and the city looks so small from here, looking east-by-twenty-years.
There are stars above us, and stars below.
We have walked miles together, years. Shared countless lovers, demons, children. And yet... spent only moments knowing how things are, wishing how they could always be.
Looking now into the shop windows down Little Clarendon Street I can hear her voice, her laughter, the reflection in the glass illuminated by her smile. She's in the crowd passing by me. A familiar face from Then.
She is there too in the stone walls that surround St John's College, in the stairwells of Christchurch where we slept when that man refused to let us in. So drunk. So late... And in the Mayday choir that floats on the morning, and the grasses in the Windrush by the tower. In the litter, the bats, the footprints on the lawn. A discarded tie, and a single shoe.

We would read together from the book of Ecclesiastes, celebrating the transitory nature of things. Futile vanity. All is temporary, yet all is always.
I walk these paths again as an Earlier Man, and she is still here. There is no greater pleasure than the joy of now, with the beings of 'here' and 'her'.
We loved, fought, cried and died on this bench, beside this bridge, and on those balconies.

But now newer rights of grace prevail. There are lights, and cars, and little metal things that beep and flash. The silence tends to hide these days, and needs to be sought. Seek, and ye shall find. Memories linger in buildings that replace those that are not quite ever gone. The slow-moving water of the canal holds the secrets that will not depart this place, carrying moments, secrets, that we have not since been free to share. Never Moments. Unlived dreams. Brilliant, unfinished creatures from the lifetimes of long-forgotten friends. And some of them are here, just as they have always been.

We sat in that corner, do you remember.? The whisky and the fire. You stood naked, and people watched you standing. There are photographs, and someone read a poem.
Until Sunday. Things were different then, but even that is empty now. Pigeons occupy the eaves where rumours used to fly. Cider with Katherine on the other side of time.

This was our place. My place, where she held me whenever I cried. Dead flowers now on the mantelpiece, in a dusty vase of my grandmothers, invisible to those who live and laugh this week in rooms where once we kissed. A hidden music plays, carried in the clouds and blowing curtains.
I remember her face, her dress, and the sound of her life. In strings, in echoes and in fragile harmonics.

Strange how moments last so long. Alway with you, long after they're gone.

© Birdsong. With special thanks to John Foxx

#32441 03/12/09 08:48 AM
Amazing words Martin.

Cheers for the info on the latin mass,I spent enough time going to mass when I was a kid so I should have recognised some of it.
Saved me asking the question about the words.

Brian

#32442 03/12/09 09:01 AM
Well spotted on the Tantum Ergo. Words here and listen here .

#32443 03/12/09 09:25 AM
Ah, I'd been trying to decypher that!

Initially it sounded like "Jenny told me..."

I wonder who Jenny is?!

#32444 03/12/09 10:34 AM
Brilliant .. the more I listen to it .... should be the single.
Seriously it'd be interesting if the album gets picked up by someone on Radio 3 or any of those classical music channels that are around now.

#32445 03/12/09 12:05 PM
I'm surprised none of the Cathedral Oceans albums have been picked up by such places as yet - since so much of it is verging on being classical, and these stations do pick up the gregorian chanting albums by monks hammered on mead!

Maybe they have an aversion to s..s..syn...th..e..sss...aaaargh!

#32446 03/12/09 12:09 PM
Maybe it's the name ..?' Anyone got any connections with such programmes/stations?

#32447 03/12/09 12:21 PM
Maybe we just need to feed John with plenty of Mead!

Anyway - Mike Oldfield has been nominated for a Classical Brit Award for his Music of the Spheres CD - which , OK IS classical, but if an established prog/rock artist can get such a nomination, then why not John.

It would certainly make the decades of work that went into these albums' production all the more worth while.

#32448 03/12/09 01:48 PM
Another option would be to get Boomkat and other online music stores to carry John's stuff. Boomkat in particular has been promoting a lot of stuff they label as home listening/modern classical (Goldmund, Jacaszek, Johann Johannsson, Marsen Jules, etc), which combines ambient, classical, and electronic elements while being neither prog nor new age. People like Satie, Eno, and Budd are big influences in that style, and since Foxx has admitted being a Satie fan and has actually worked with Eno and Budd, he might fit in.

#32449 03/12/09 01:52 PM
What about the 'lyrics' to Hawksmoor Orbital? Any ideas?

#32450 03/12/09 08:11 PM
Trellick Tower got a mention on BBC1 One show tonight as an iconic building

#32451 03/13/09 12:31 PM
I notice that Sister Ray are now selling copies of My Lost City via their ebay shop (albeit at a slightly higher price than Townsend).

They describe it as 'LTD', which I assume means limited edition, although I don't recall Rob ever stating that this album is a limited edition confused

#32452 03/13/09 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
I notice that Sister Ray are now selling copies of My Lost City via their ebay shop (albeit at a slightly higher price than Townsend).

They describe it as 'LTD', which I assume means limited edition, although I don't recall Rob ever stating that this album is a limited edition confused
Hi Mike,

I noted back in early Feb on this thread (pg.1) that My Lost City was listed on Townsend as a 'Townsend Records Exclusive' - I assume that this is PR Blurb for Limited Edition instead of saying Limited Edition.

My confusion is; what's the definition? What is an exclusive? Clearly it's not exclusive to Townsend otherwise Sister Ray wouldn't be selling it, and if it's a Limited Edition - how many were pressed? I wonder if we'll ever know.

Post 1500!* Blimey!

Gazza

(*and they probably all say the same thing – ‘Foxx…blah…Aren’t the League sad these days…Numan? I’ve heard a few of those rare live albums of his…Why are my team so ****…Can’t think why Joy Division haven’t reformed yet…I was the first man in space on my street…Today I’ve been listening to John Foxx – what are the chances?...)
wink

#32453 03/13/09 12:55 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] I notice that Sister Ray are now selling copies of My Lost City via their ebay shop (albeit at a slightly higher price than Townsend).

Hi Mike,

I noted back in early Feb on this thread (pg.1) that My Lost City was listed on Townsend as a 'Townsend Records Exclusive' - I assume that this is PR Blurb for Limited Edition instead of saying Limited Edition.

My confusion is; what's the definition? What is an exclusive? Clearly it's not exclusive to Townsend otherwise Sister Ray wouldn't be selling it, and if it's a Limited Edition - how many were pressed? I wonder if we'll ever know.

Post 1500!* Blimey!

Gazza

(*and they probably all say the same thing – ‘Foxx…blah…Aren’t the League sad these days…Numan? I’ve heard a few of those rare live albums of his…Why are my team so ****…Can’t think why Joy Division haven’t reformed yet…I was the first man in space on my street…Today I’ve been listening to John Foxx – what are the chances?...)
wink [/b]
The why are my team so **** sounds like me Gary laugh

Congrats on the 1500

#32454 03/13/09 04:24 PM
Quote:
Not entirely sure I'm with you guys on (in?) "Fog". I will play it again.
Perhaps you're right, 'Fog' is a little different from the My Lost City atmospheres .... but 'Swimmer III' and 'Swimmer IV' on the other hand...... wink

#32455 03/13/09 06:32 PM
T
T
Quote:
Quote:
[b] Not entirely sure I'm with you guys on (in?) "Fog". I will play it again.
Perhaps you're right, 'Fog' is a little different from the My Lost City atmospheres .... but 'Swimmer III' and 'Swimmer IV' on the other hand...... wink [/b]
Funnily enough, I had exactly the same opinion after I played "Fog" earlier in the week.

#32456 03/13/09 07:22 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I 'd agree - Fog (to me) doesn't fit with this album at all

#32457 03/15/09 07:05 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] [QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeG:
[b] I notice that Sister Ray are now selling copies of My Lost City via their ebay shop (albeit at a slightly higher price than Townsend).

They describe it as 'LTD', which I assume means limited edition, although I don't recall Rob ever stating that this album is a limited edition confused [/QUOTE

Post 1500!* Blimey!

Gazza

wink [/b]
The why are my team so **** sounds like me Gary laugh

Congrats on the 1500 [/b]
Cheers Brian!

#32458 03/16/09 01:14 AM
Quote:
Maybe we just need to feed John with plenty of Mead!
Yeah, I'd drink to that!
Quote:

Anyway - Mike Oldfield has been nominated for a Classical Brit Award for his Music of the Spheres CD - which , OK IS classical, but if an established prog/rock artist can get such a nomination, then why not John.
Probably the thing to do is find out how to nominate him then let everyone know.

#32459 03/16/09 11:18 AM
H
H
Quote:
Quote:
[b] ....aha! Sanctus Sanctus is now playing. Now let's see what John has called it...Trellick John? :rolleyes: ...Scene 27 :p

Chris wink
Unless I'm missing something, isn't it "Umbro Sumus" that features the "Sanctus Sanctus" refrain? Best track on the album! [/b]
Please ignore me - I got my track titles confused when transferring to mp3. The "Sanctus Sanctus" one is of course "Scene 27; Trellick Tower - Let's See What The Longest Track Title I Can Get Away With Is - 3AM". Which is not only the besttrack on the album but probably one of the best pieces of music John has ever recorded.

#32460 03/16/09 12:06 PM
Te hee - thought as much Herbs. Fret not, easily done. And yes it is an excellent closer top the album although I still reckon "Barbican" should've been the single.... wink

#32461 03/16/09 12:21 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I'm loving this album, it's a revelation!

At the moment, the track emerging as my favourite is Piranesi Motorcade

#32462 03/16/09 12:42 PM
Yes I agree..plus all the history and background make it all the more fascinating.

#32463 03/17/09 03:37 PM
Quote:

Sister Ray is now selling My Lost City through Amazon.co.uk for £69.94, as well as on eBay for £14.99. Townsend still has it available for £12.99. Amazon themselves don't have it, though they're selling A Secret Life and Mirrorball. So, it seems it's certainly limited. Anyone waiting to decide whether to buy this may find the decision's been made for them before too long.

#32464 03/17/09 03:45 PM
This is crazy!

Anyway, nice to see A Secret Life available on Amazon for pre-order.

#32465 03/17/09 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally post be Steve Roby
Anyone waiting to decide whether to buy this may find the decision's been made for them before too long.
Darn it. Better make my mind up soon eek

#32466 03/23/09 04:53 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally post be Steve Roby
[b]Anyone waiting to decide whether to buy this may find the decision's been made for them before too long.
Darn it. Better make my mind up soon eek [/b]
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing...1&condition=new

Yep! eek

#32467 03/24/09 01:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:
Sister Ray is now selling My Lost City through Amazon.co.uk for [b]£69.94, as well as on eBay for £14.99. Townsend still has it available for £12.99. [/b]
£69.94 eek
Surely no-one would be silly enough to pay that price when copies are still available from Townsend. Is it really a limited edition?

#32468 03/29/09 10:52 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Initially, I felt the same as others have mentioned here about the My Lost City artwork and how it somehow doesn't seem to quite fit with the 'London' theme and setting of the music.

I wondered if John Foxx doesn't have photos of the scenes he describes in his writing - the trees in the upper storeys of the studio, for example, or the Holy well flooding the basement - which perhaps might be more fitting.

But this is being minutely critical, and after reading the sleevenotes it all makes much more sense. The idea to write "hymns for buildings and streets" (which is a great title in itself) seems to have taken some form during walks around Central Manhattan in the 1970s.

#32469 04/15/09 03:43 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
there's VP-330 all over that album, yeah.
...and ARP Odyssey on Imperfect Hymn, which is an amazing track.

The album is a joy to have and is a lost treasure from the early eighties.

Chris
wink

#32470 05/03/09 11:02 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I visited my own Lost City today.
There are bits of me in stairwells, cloisters and down many cobbled streets. Some of the walls feel as they always did, and there are Invisible Women in many of the bars and college rooms that once inhabited my life

Walking in the footsteps of an earlier man
Drifting through the place where I began...

My Lost City is Oxford. Where is yours?

#32471 05/04/09 08:45 AM
M
M
My Lost City is unknown by human name.

#32472 05/04/09 10:41 AM
Neon signs
Echos of overhead passenger trains
Great humidity
Crowded stations
High up walkways
Tall buildings
Planes cross the sky in moonlight.

My lost city is Fujisawa City,Japan 1996

#32473 06/06/09 10:31 PM
Of the three Foxx related albums so far this year, 'My Lost City' is my favourite. Stand out tracks are 'Imperfect Hymn', 'Magnetic Fields', and best of all 'Holywell Lane'.

#32474 06/09/09 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Of the three Foxx related albums so far this year, 'My Lost City' is my favourite.
I'll second that... brilliant album cool

#32475 06/10/09 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Humana:
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
[b] Of the three Foxx related albums so far this year, 'My Lost City' is my favourite.
I'll second that... brilliant album cool [/b]
Yes, theres something about vintage sound. Nothing sounds better. wink

#32476 11/10/09 10:12 AM
I’m repurposing this thread a bit after coming across some beautiful and rare, archive colour footage of London from 1927;

The Open Road, London (1927)

Perhaps the thread could continue in this vein, with footage from the other Lost Cities such as New York and Tokyo – the search is on!

#32477 11/10/09 10:20 AM
Nice one guv!

Also spotted this one by the same user - has a futurist / 'drowned world' / meltdown theme to it...

Fugitive Futurist: A Q-riosity by "Q" (1924)

...talk about retro-future!

#32478 11/10/09 01:14 PM
M
M
Quote:
Nice one guv!

Also spotted this one by the same user - has a futurist / 'drowned world' / meltdown theme to it...

Love the script too - "Sir! I am not a vendor of footwear appendages, neither am I a card-sharper. I am an inventor!" tres cool

#32479 11/10/09 04:04 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] Nice one guv!

Love the script too - "Sir! I am not a vendor of footwear appendages, neither am I a card-sharper. I am an inventor!" tres cool [/b]
Cheers D! Great find! And yes Ilektrik - the scrpt's great - in fact I’d say it’s awfully jolly old Top! laugh

#32480 11/10/09 05:37 PM
M
M
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b] Nice one guv!

Love the script too - "Sir! I am not a vendor of footwear appendages, neither am I a card-sharper. I am an inventor!" tres cool [/b]
Cheers D! Great find! And yes Ilektrik - the scrpt's great - in fact I’d say it’s awfully jolly old Top! laugh [/b]
Rather, old bean! smile

#32481 11/11/09 05:28 AM
Quote:
I’m repurposing this thread a bit after coming across some beautiful and rare, archive colour footage of London from 1927;

The Open Road, London (1927)

Perhaps the thread could continue in this vein, with footage from the other Lost Cities such as New York and Tokyo – the search is on!
I'm late to this thread - sorry!

Here are some gems from Tokyo and Yokohama - about 1930ish.
1930\'s Japan - 1

1930\'s Japan 2

A recent news report that seems to have some scenes taken from clips above - but gives a good view of mid-late '30's
1930\'s Japan 3

None of these are as wonderfully candid as Garry's link, but do show us what it was like then. It looks nothing like this now!

BTW, I have been appalled recently by the mount of advertising that hits us everywhere - and including buses that get comlpetely covered in a branding exercise - and then I noticed the London buses in the clips - WOW!! So much is written on them, and stuff you couldn't possibly see unless standing right next to them!! I guess things haven't gotten worse after all.

Brian - were you in Fujisawa in '96?

My lost city is definitely Tokyo - you can still find bits that are very old - the trouble is that developers are catching up and building new stuff wherever they can - The landscape around tokyo station is unrecognisable from 2004! That's just 5 years!

Makes sense to go uot and shoot lots of video and then stored it for 50 years and see peoples reactions at that tmie when you show them!

#32482 11/12/09 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
I'm late to this thread - sorry!

Here are some gems from Tokyo and Yokohama - about 1930ish.
1930\'s Japan - 1

1930\'s Japan 2

A recent news report that seems to have some scenes taken from clips above - but gives a good view of mid-late '30's
1930\'s Japan 3 [/QUOTE]

Many thanks Chris – some beautiful footage. The first clip reminded me of the Chiang Mai province in Thailand – hard to believe it’s Tokyo.

The second, my favourite clip – again, hard to believe it’s Tokyo. Somewhere during the first one and a half minutes you could be forgiven for thinking in parts that you were witnessing the start of modern, twentieth century America – somewhere like Washington. I love the way it switches to black and white with certain areas coloured in – beautiful.

The colours are beautiful in the third film (which also incorporates the second film) – the opening scenes of blossom and long stretches of canal, it feels like a lost Quiet Man piece.

Many thanks for sharing Chris!

#32483 02/27/10 04:15 PM
Amazon states that My Lost City will be released on March 1st 2010 ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001UACEC6/ref=pe_27211_18857751_pe_vfe_d1

..supposedly for the first time on amazon ... confused

#32484 02/27/10 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally By MemberD
Amazon states that My Lost City will be released on March 1st 2010 ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001UACEC6/ref=pe_27211_18857751_pe_vfe_d1

..supposedly for the first time on amazon ...
Probably correct - I only remember seeing it on Townsend & Sister Ray. As normal, the Amazon price is cheaper, and in this case, by quite a bit.

#32485 03/18/10 09:59 AM
H
H
Talking of lost cities, did anyone see that programme about Detroit on BBC2 the other day? Apparently much of the city has been abandoned and is slowly being reclaimed by nature, pretty much like the overgrown London John has often referred to in interviews and The Quiet Man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rkm3y

Also some lovely photos here;

http://www.marchandmeffre.com/detroit/index.html

#32486 03/18/10 10:17 AM
Well spotted herbert .. some great pics there ...

I like the series on Eastern European industries

here's an old abandoned Kraftwerk (no, not Ralf Huetter)..
http://www.marchandmeffre.com/industry/muldenstein1.jpg

#32487 03/18/10 11:20 AM
M
M
Quote:
Talking of lost cities, did anyone see that programme about Detroit on BBC2 the other day? Apparently much of the city has been abandoned and is slowly being reclaimed by nature, pretty much like the overgrown London John has often referred to in interviews and The Quiet Man.

Also some lovely photos here;

Yes, I watched it. I said to myself. " I wonder if John Foxx is watching this?"

I came across the programme by chance. Doing the usual thing of flicking through the channels, thinking there was naff all on, & there it was. cool

#32488 03/18/10 07:13 PM
C
C
Quote:
Talking of lost cities, did anyone see that programme about Detroit on BBC2 the other day...
thanks for posting, I will have to try and watch this online while its still available. Funnily enough I came across a monumental Detroit station building online in the past and have long been fascinated by it (reminds me somewhat of an old clydeside grain storage facility near to where I grew up, now demolished by waterside development):
http://www.seedetroit.com/pictures/mcsweb/

#32489 03/19/10 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:
[b] Talking of lost cities, did anyone see that programme about Detroit on BBC2 the other day...
thanks for posting, I will have to try and watch this online while its still available. Funnily enough I came across a monumental Detroit station building online in the past and have long been fascinated by it (reminds me somewhat of an old clydeside grain storage facility near to where I grew up, now demolished by waterside development):
http://www.seedetroit.com/pictures/mcsweb/ [/b]
Thanks to all for the heads-up on this documentary - just finished watching it on iplayer.

Superb documentary - I remember reading back in the 80s when they filmed Robocop there that the location scout said they had "40 square miles of urban wasteland to play with..." - unbelievable.

#32490 03/19/10 08:40 PM
F
F

#32491 03/20/10 01:48 AM
Here is a FRESH abandoned city. For anyone who has been here, you can appreciate how difficult these pictures were to get (I don't believe they are doctored - but wouldn't say 100%).

Looks like everyone has just left town.

Tokyo Nobody

The book that these pictures are from is called "Tokyo Nobody" by the artist Masataka Nakano. I've thumbed through it at bookshops, never quite got around to buying it though, as I promised myself I'd try to take some similar pix myself (but can never get out of bed early enough!). My guess is that the shots are taken at about 4am as it gets light REALLY early in summer here.

#32492 03/22/10 11:53 AM
Quote:
Here is a FRESH abandoned city. For anyone who has been here, you can appreciate how difficult these pictures were to get (I don't believe they are doctored - but wouldn't say 100%).

Looks like everyone has just left town.

Tokyo Nobody

Some lovely photos there - thanks for sharing!

#32493 03/26/10 10:04 AM
On a similar note check out :
f*ckyeahghosttowns on tumblr

#32494 03/26/10 12:19 PM
C
C
Quote:
Detroit on BBC2... much of the city has been abandoned and is slowly being reclaimed by nature...
Annoyingly I didn’t manage to watch all of it online before it was spirited away into the BBC ether vaults, I hope it gets repeated on TV. Thanks for the pictures link, I particularly love the one of the Bank Vault, which could easily be a set-piece from LOST, and the United Artists Theatre and the Ballroom Fort Wayne Hotel are really beautiful, but I find that view of Downtown Detroit from a window quite sinister.

Quote:
Tokyo Nobody
thanks for posting, I particularly love the rusty colours in these photos.

Quote:
On a similar note check out :

f*ckyeahghosttowns
and so another great name for an Indie band is born laugh

#32495 03/26/10 02:08 PM
H
H
It's not quite as arty as some of the links on this thread, but the first 20 minutes or so of the scary zombie film "28 Days Later" are as fascinating an image of an abandoned London as you could imagine. Coincidentally it's being repeated on Channel 4 tonight at 10.50.

Okay, so I don;t recall many flesh-eating zombies in John's "Quiet Man" texts but those few scenes before all the flesh-munching starts are certainly atmospheric.

#32496 03/31/10 12:28 PM
More "city" talk as Owen Hatherly sings the praises of, er, conurbation in The Guardian
:p

#32497 04/19/10 10:26 AM
C
C
MemberD's post in another thread about the Ash Cloud presently hanging in the skies and its effect on travel got me Googling for a David Lynch painting about an airplane passing overhead, I instead found a link to this guy, there's some great lucid colour at work in his photo's of abandoned places and artifacts:

http://www.troypaiva.com/ue/index.html

http://www.ballardian.com/light-painter-mojave-d-troy-paiva

#32498 04/19/10 11:06 AM
Re: Detroit..
Hmm. Looks like William Gibson wasn't making it up, then.. (Mona Lisa Overdrive, etc..)

I've read a hell of a lot of SciFi stuff, particularly older material, where "the age of cities" has passed.

Looks like we're heading that way.

I've always loved wandering around cities (on foot, usually - maybe that's partly what attracted me to the Lost City thing?)
Not sure I'd like to do that in America, though. Too vast and car-oriented. And full of drug-addled nutjobs with guns. Or am I thinking of Leeds?

C
C
(Martin, looking back a few pages this thread was re-purposed to embrace a wider theme on the idea of My Lost City, but please feel free to move my post to the Green Room if its inappropriate here).

Had a lost city experience recently in my old hometown of Glasgow when history came into my day in various ways, beginning at the Briggait - a former merchant city fishmarket renovated into a new creative space - I recognized a woman on a stairway taking photographs – she’s someone I know only as an infrequent visitor to my Edinburgh workplace, and meeting like we'd done was unlikely, yet here we both were, at a different city, and in a building unfamiliar to either of us. We chatted briefly, and then parted, but later it seemed like I was fated to keep bumping into her as our paths crossed again when we each left the building, yet another coincidence with this person - curiously I’ve always sensed a connection between us whenever we’ve met, perhaps in a parallel universe an alternative history might have been written - but suffice to say, we’ve remained as strangers. She was heading off to find an obscure theatre I’d never heard of - it was advertised as part of a ‘Door’s Open Day’ event - I was going in a random direction across town, so on a whim I took a detour with her, and what started out as a chance meeting led unexpectedly to an extraordinary place and to the profound effects of a history new to me.

We were standing on a main road near to Glasgow’s Trongate at a busy spot I’ve walked past as a child, as a teenager, and as an adult now looking for a theatre where I knew there was none, never had been, and then we saw a man dressed in Victorian costume - a volunteer guide stood at the side of a fairly ordinary building - he directed us to an alleyway entrance. Amongst a group of people we climbed wide uninspiring stairs to the first floor and pushed through into a dark paneled interior. Harsh daylight at the front elevation windows and glaring halogen lights from above lit the scene, there were tables selling goods, and people sat on chairs watching an old silent movie on a makeshift screen. A woman’s illuminated face poked out from a box, and a fake spiders web had been arranged around her head, as I shuffled past she suddenly opened her eyes and hissed at me. I moved to the centre of the area, sensing an open space above me I looked up and saw a floor with a gallery, beyond it an amazing period ceiling was high over my head - in a moment of fantastic discovery my sight filled with the heaviness and fragility of age - I mentally grabbed at the darkened wood and colourless paint and plasterwork, trying to comprehend where I was.

Maybe at this point my mouth was hanging open or something, surprisingly my heart was pounding, I felt really emotional. I hadn’t expected this, actually, I’d expected nothing, I’d just come along for the trip - and I’d even lost track of my companion – but it felt so right being in here, it was a happy feeling. A man approached me, and said: “Are you interested in the place sir?” Boy, was that an understatement, I could only reply that I couldn’t believe it, couldn’t believe that this was here. I’d walked past outside while growing up in this city - and a giant ghost was living up here all the while. The man who spoke was involved with a preservation group, and he proceeded to tell me the amazing story of the Britannia Panopticon - the world’s oldest surviving music hall. The building started its life in the East-End as a warehouse, but after the tobacco merchants moved with their wealth to the West of town the area fell into an ugly decline, so amidst the numerous shebeens and brothels a new purpose was found in 1857 when it was converted into a rough and ready venue. It was an immediate success with the local working classes, and could barely contain the sheer volume of people who relentlessly patronized it and valued its respite from the extreme hardships and severe impoverishment of their lives.

In 1896 it was vastly upgraded inside, and the new cinematograph became a permanent feature, but the story becomes particularly colourful in 1906 when an astute and eccentric Yorkshireman A E Pickering bought the Britannia - he loved to play practical jokes and pranks, and became one of the city’s most recognizable and wealthiest businessmen - modeling himself on the great American showman P T Barnum, he created his concept of the Panopticon - a multi-level-entertainment-extravaganza - and all for the price of just one ticket. On the top floor above the music hall and cinema he installed a carnival, with aunt sallies, fortune-tellers, amusement arcade’s, and ‘Freaks’ such as Leonine the Lion-Headed girl, and Tom Thumb lived up here (they were part of another exhibition that Pickering also owned). He excavated the basement and created his 'Noahs Ark', a dubious flea infested ‘zoo’ with caged monkeys, birds, reptiles, and a bear - which eventually escaped its cruel prison onto the busy high street where it was shot and killed.

After the 30’s depression the building was sold to new owners in 1938. It was dramatically turned into a clothes factory – with the carnival and animals gone, the stage and the seating on the first floor was ripped out, and the second floor gallery and the ceiling above was sealed off and permanently closed from sight by a false roof. The remains of the great and famous Panoption then remained hidden away untouched for nearly 60 years until a researcher identified the location in 1997 and obliged the buildings present owners to acknowledge and reveal publicly their secret treasure - (speculation being that they knew damn fine the historical significance of the interior but did not want the bother or responsibility if it were to become a grade A-listed property – as it now in fact is).

By this point my head was buzzing from hearing the evolution of the theatre and the Federico Fellini-esque tale of the dapper showman entrepreneur with his cast of showgirls, clowns, freaks and the artillery being called to hunt a scared rampaging animal amidst the trams and horse-less carriages. But the real thing I left with was a strong link with the place, call it a bond, or as our John sings in Ghosts On Water: "city has a memory", “fused in the bone”. My father’s from the East-End, as were his parents, so I’ve a few generations going back who lived in that desperate part of the city, it has to be likely that some of them came to this music hall and briefly escaped into its world of entertainment, sitting in that raucous crowded audience - at where I now stood, in a place that had been secreted for over half a century and could have so easily been wiped away into history – but, its still here, its more than a memory, it’s a reality, and it made me happy to touch the past from the perspective of the present, and to feel a continuation, what a day it had been, simply amazing.

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/panop.html

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/panopticon_new/index.html

Administrator
Administrator
No -its more than perfect just where it is laugh

Some beautiful photos of New York from the 1940s to the present day are being exhibited at the Howard Greenberg Gallery, New York; until Saturday 17 March 2012

You can see some of the photos here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/g...490&index=0

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.