Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18
#32412 03/03/09 11:35 PM
C
C
Received my copy today and it's right now on my player. Pleased to hear Hawksmoor Orbital. Yes it's that mellow ending to the Shrewsbury Cathedral concert. Now where's Sanctus Sanctus? eek The first six instrumental pieces could be here. I'll familiarise myself with My Lost City and then onto the live recording.

The cover now makes more sense with John's liner notes.

We now have a lost cover and a lost tape released. The album is as good as Tiny Colour Movies and is purely analogue.

John, the Roland synth you use, is it a Jupiter-4 or a VP-330 Vocoder Plus? I can also hear a Juno-60 on some of the tracks.

Thanks for sharing these lost treasures with your fans!

Chris wink

#32413 03/03/09 11:38 PM
C
C
....aha! Sanctus Sanctus is now playing. Now let's see what John has called it...Trellick John? :rolleyes: ...Scene 27 :p

Chris wink

#32414 03/04/09 11:52 PM
F
F
there's VP-330 all over that album, yeah.

#32415 03/05/09 01:31 PM
The Archive
The Archive

#32416 03/05/09 01:58 PM
C
C
Thanks for posting the link Rob, its fascinating reading smile
lots of the town and city back water exploration I can relate to from the various places I've lived in, here in the north, and in the south.

#32417 03/05/09 02:00 PM
I've just finished reading it on MySpace (although it's easier on the Quiet Man because there are paragraph breaks!!) - but what a delightful and insightful, educational and interesting read.

In fact, I'm gonna have to put the album on!

You can really hear and 'feel' the environment these pieces were created in, in the music.

This is clearly an endless source of inspiration for John - reading it, so many of his songs, from instrumental pieces to electronic ones flashed through my head. The line about imagining his parents aged twenty walking together brought me to "Uptown/Downtown" and the romantic urban nostalgia of its parent album.

There were several parts I could relate to too. It's funny how you often find yourself walking down the same streets as your parents or relatives; sometimes without even knowing or by coincidence. Treading the same path in an almost fate-like way. And like John said, sometimes, it's your own.

I've seen Sheffield change dramatically over the last 15 years. This is my shifting city. I've seen it go from a slightly neglected and scruffy town of old-fashioned architecture, still with hints of the war all these years later - to a bright and vibrant modern city; new buildings popping up everywhere and a constantly evolving skyline.

It's such a different place now to what it was when I was about fifteen and began exploring it by myself.

Maybe this accounts for the strong emotional attachment I have to so many of John's city-themed songs/albums, and I'm sure a lot of other fans can relate to this similarly.

#32418 03/05/09 02:40 PM
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I've just finished reading it on MySpace (although it's easier on the Quiet Man because there are paragraph breaks!!) - but what a delightful and insightful, educational and interesting read.

In fact, I'm gonna have to put the album on!

You can really hear and 'feel' the environment these pieces were created in, in the music.

This is clearly an endless source of inspiration for John - reading it, so many of his songs, from instrumental pieces to electronic ones flashed through my head. The line about imagining his parents aged twenty walking together brought me to "Uptown/Downtown" and the romantic urban nostalgia of its parent album.

There were several parts I could relate to too. It's funny how you often find yourself walking down the same streets as your parents or relatives; sometimes without even knowing or by coincidence. Treading the same path in an almost fate-like way. And like John said, sometimes, it's your own.

I've seen Sheffield change dramatically over the last 15 years. This is my shifting city. I've seen it go from a slightly neglected and scruffy town of old-fashioned architecture, still with hints of the war all these years later - to a bright and vibrant modern city; new buildings popping up everywhere and a constantly evolving skyline.

It's such a different place now to what it was when I was about fifteen and began exploring it by myself.

Maybe this accounts for the strong emotional attachment I have to so many of John's city-themed songs/albums, and I'm sure a lot of other fans can relate to this similarly.
As one who grew up in and lived in Sheffield, I'd have to agree with you there, Alex. Many's the time I've walked down some of Sheffield's scruffy backstreets almost feeling like I was The Quiet Man!

And I can certainly relate to John's "Electricity And Ghosts" article. Back in 1991 some friends and I rented a room just off Division Street in Sheffield that had once been a cutlery works but had been converted into rehearsal rooms. It was tucked away down an overgrown cobbled alleyway and, although it seemed to be on the verge of falling down, was a place of great character. Like John, my collaborators and I would spend hours down there making strange experimental synthetic music that was inspired at least in part by our surroundings. Often we'd carry on working through the night, only stopping as the sun rose to head off to our respective day jobs.

It was owned by Steve Singleton, one time sax player with ABC and was reputed to have at one point been Pulp's rehearsal room (though I later found out that was a bit of a running gag as just about every rehearsal room in Sheffield was at some point claimed to have been used by Pulp!). The now quite well-known Richard Hawley and his band were in the room opposite.

Anyway, ezxcuse the name dropping. I'm trying to make the point that the thought processes behind "My Lost City" will be familiar to anyone who spent much of their youth hanging around band rehearsal rooms that more often than not were former industrial premises that had fallen into disuse. Much of the music that emanated out of them must have been inspired in part by their history and atmosphere, albeit subconsciously.

And my own lost city is indeed lost. Some time in the 1990s the building was pulled down and the site is now part of an indoor shopping arcade called "The Forum". Yet even in those trendy boutiques and coffee shops lurks the ghosts of me and my friends and our twentysomething selves.
One day I'll go back there to meet them.......

#32419 03/05/09 02:50 PM
Just behind Division Street, on Wellington Street lies a spot where my freelance design career really started to take shape. A small independent printer and publisher run by a guy who used to be in short-lived Sheffield band They Must Be Russians.

The building was a wreck; more of a pile of crumbling stonework with makeshift floors and ex-windows than a building. God knows how he got several printing presses in there, and its a miracle that they didn't fall through the floor. But again, a building that pointed directly to the city's industrial heritage.

On my way to the Devonshire Cat one day last year I noticed that the building had been flattened. Fortunately, my printer had moved to nice, new premises on the other side of town.

An annoying block of student flats resides there now but maybe there's a ghost of me running up and down the uneven stone stairs delivering artwork!

#32420 03/05/09 08:33 PM
L
L
I have the album on order but wanted to mention that Trellick Tower is an extremely iconic building. So much so, that The Passions were photographed next to it for the insert to their Michael & Miranda LP back in 1979 http://www.thepassions.co.uk/albums.html#3
It's the building on the right, behind guitarist Clive Timperley (man on right).

I've been meaning to get to Trellick for some photography but having read John's "Electricity & Ghosts", I think Shoreditch deserves a re-visit first!

#32421 03/05/09 10:43 PM
WOW
Just finished reading Electricity and Ghosts.

Thank you John for sharing some of your thoughts behind My Lost City This article is probably the first time John has given such an insight into part of his life especially his childhood dreams of visiting London and writing about his parents.

By some strange coincidence I just watched all the Quatermass films and TV serials. I can so relate when John mentions The Pit.

Peter smile

Page 10 of 18 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 17 18

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.