Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 30 1 2 28 29 30
Gary Numan - Splinter Tour at Wulfrun Hall, Wolverhampton 19/11/13

I made it along to the Wolverhampton leg of the tour last night. The Wulfrun Hall is one of Gary's regular haunts and he seemed right at home from the off. True to form he played plenty of the new stuff with just a smattering from the past. Here is the set-list (I think): -

1.Resurrection
2.I Am Dust
3.Metal
4.Everything Comes Down to This
5.Films
6.Here in the Black
7.The Fall
8.The Calling
9.Down in the Park
10.Pure
11.Splinter
12.Lost
13.When the Sky Bleeds, He Will Come
14.We're the Unforgiven
15.Love Hurt Bleed
16.A Prayer for the Unborn
17.I Die: You Die

18.Cars
19.Are 'Friends' Electric?
20.My Last Day

He went down a treat as usual. Funniest bit was at the start of the Encore where he attempted to address the audience on about 5 different occasions but each time was drowned out by a mass NUUMMAAAAAAAN...NUUMMAAAAAAAN...NUUMMAAAAAAAN . He seemed rather pleased with it all almost to the point of embarrassment smile

Karl Bartos 31.01.2014 at Gruenspan in Hamburg

It was a real pleasure to see this concert. Karl Bartos played a lot of stuff from Kraftwerk along with new stuff of his new album "Off The Record" and his earlier solo album "Communication". The new album sounds like the new Kraftwerk album. The tracks he played about his Kraftwerk time sounded fantastic as there were , Robots, Numbers, Pocket calculator,Computerworld, Tour de France, Neon Lights, The Model, It's more fun to Compute, Trans Europe express and others.
A real concert highlight in a sold out venue.5 points from 5 from me!

P
P
You're lucky. I am eager to see Bartos. I bought a pre-release ticket to Moogfest 2014 on the hopes that he might be playing there this year [along with a certain John Foxx fronted band]. Unfortunately, they booked Kraftwerk instead. Not that I didn't see that coming from a mile away. Sigh.

I only go to gigs of my own bands, -ha! -ha! -ha! Here's experimental environmental jazzband Verde, lead by analogue modular synth builder Mika Rintala. I play there bird voices:
http://youtu.be/WjaPItnOHnI

T
T
China Crisis, South Devon Arts Centre, Totnes, Friday 28 November 2014

Two gigs in two weeks? Terrifying, with Christmas around the corner. Still, at least I am building some tolerance.

China Crisis. My first time. Memories of 1982 – “Christian” on the radio, all hell at primary school. Over it now. But the song remains as a source of great comfort. In 1989, in the early period of my buying of music, I reached China Crisis. Had already picked (pocket-monied) my way through some earlier memories: Depeche Mode, Human League, Ultravox, OMD, all that eighties magic. And so I started with the album “Christian” came from – the first one. By the summer I reached “Flaunt the Imperfection” (their third) whose sleeve (silver on dark blue) always gave me a headache to look at. By autumn I started college and “What Price Paradise” (their fourth) made sense after a couple of false starts over that drought-ridden summer. Doing Physics homework, staring across town at the building where my new object of desire would be tomorrow and was today. Sharing her space without overlapping.

Later the 5th album, released that year, then nothing until 1994, something of a whimper (but check out the sleeve of the French version), then nothing. But they stayed together, gigging and that. And they are still here – new album “Autumn in the Neighbourhood” may not reach us until Spring but when you have waited 20 years …

Totnes. Where I did a year and a half of night shift work, even while doing a full-time job elsewhere. Insanity. Hadn’t been back since that all finished, summer 2010.

The combination was of course irresistible.

The same ritual I had then, except a few hours earlier. “The Pleasures of Electricity” and (Arab Strap’s) “The Red Thread” for the walk and the train then the walk around the town before I was due at work. Did the same route, saw the same Christmas decorations as 2009, felt the same feelings, made more mental notes for some project I started way back then. All good. Politely arriving a fraction after opening time, the place already quite full, not long before Shadow Factory, an unexpected support. Live bass for a pedal to loop then guitar, sax and a Florian Schneider look-alike on drums. Reggae, ska, and other genres I don’t understand but still get somehow. Ones to watch. Especially in their top hats strung with red lights.

I didn’t really know what to expect from the Chinas themselves, apart from the tunes of course. They seemed to shape shift their way across my 1989, some parts Steely Dan (like I knew that at the time!), some parts gorgeous atmospheric instrumentals, some parts new wave, some parts bonkers pop songs, other parts lyrics hard to decipher, all the time fascinating. Very strange album titles. But I hadn’t seen a video, hadn’t seen them in motion.

Gary Daly – singing – very chatty, stories old and new, something of Bryan Ferry about him, self-deprecating and playfully joking at the audience (from a “posh town”) who “are not f*cking Martin Scorsese, not f*cking David Bailey, so please don’t film this and post it on Youtube, it’ll look f*cking sh*t”. All said in the nicest possible way. Eddie Lundon on guitars and a bit of singing and plenty of smiling. Brian McNeil on keyboards/programming/whatever. Just the trio tonight – after what I heard I am intensely keen to hear the full band. Next year?

Two sets (“sponsored by Saga Tours who insist we have a twenty minute rest”) – album tracks, then hits. “Tragedy and Mystery” was the only one I really missed. Personal favourites “Arizona Sky”, “Seven Sports For All”, “Here Come a Raincloud”, “Best Kept Secret”. A couple from the new record, including the title track, sounding really quite fine.

Why aren’t this band (still) massive? Who knows – but at least we have them. I was as guilty as anyone of forgetting them, almost writing them off to the nostalgia circuit. Now I have seen they were and are too good for that. I think they realise too – hence the new album.

Left with an hour to kill I stayed on for the eighties disco that followed, standing not dancing of course. At work I would get the train home at dawn, but this time I was able to make the last train or could you call it the first train, the sleeper train, sat silent, in the travelling dorm of the insomniac and bedless, no views of the estuary, no rising sun. But still there. Four years on, or is it twenty five? Or thirty five?

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/chinacrisis

Last edited by the church puddle; 11/30/14 11:46 PM.
Thanks for the write-up Puds. Always been a Chinas fan, me, since about day one or thereabouts. Odd how when I saw them live in about 1983 they probably had a similar set up to what you saw the other night! We were also a very select bunch audience-wise then too. Small club affair (with Howard Jones supporting I might add), and obviously a much more limited repetoire.

Since then they've been to relatively big (80s) stardom and back although no new material since the rather disappointing Warped by Success in '94. To their credit they've always stuck together as a duo (save for some Daly-solo stuff a while back) and are addicted to touring albeit very much on the "Stars of the Eighties" ticket. And yes, on viddying quite a few live recordings I must admit that Daly does swear a little too much for my liking! Is that a Liverpool thing la?

Still let's hope the long awaited new album won't be too much of an anti-climax, even though they will never really achieve the greatness of 'Flaunt' or even 'Fire & Steel' again.

NEXT!

Page 30 of 30 1 2 28 29 30

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.