Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30
#13795 10/08/07 08:37 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Instead of the 'what music are you listening to' thread, I thought a separate thread for gigs and live shows etc might be a good idea.

It's a busy time at the moment, not only with John and Louis but loads of other bands playing that various people here are into.

This month I'm going to see
HAPPY MONDAYS - Southampton Guildhall
(I know, but wouldn't you with a complimentary ticket? :rolleyes: )
BABY DEE - Northampton Labour Club
(can't wait for this. beautiful songs, haunting voice. Long overdue)
WEDDING PRESENT - Portsmouth Wedgewood Rooms
(George Best, plus all the extras. Yaaaayyy!!!)

not to mention various pub bands etc...

Post yours here too.
And of course if you're IN a band and playing live, maybe this is a good place to promote your own show cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#13796 10/10/07 12:34 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
HAPPY MONDAYS - October 9th, Southampton Guildhall

I went to this show courtesy of a marketing contact, and it was never going to be my cup of tea.
Which is always entirely the wrong attitude to start with and difficult to recover from. The support act helped - a stunning set from Sunshine Underground and their blend of PiL, The Weddoes, Buzzcocks etc. But too, too loud.
Mondays started badly. The sound was bloody awful and opening the set with a pisspoor version of Kinky Affro was a mistake. Ryder was unintelligible and the light show was blinding. In the literal, rather than Mancunian sense. It did improve and from the cacophonous sonic soup of the first half of the set they moved into a distinctly better second phase once the sound levels were sorted. The earlier material held the set together and included Hallelujah (best track), Loose Fit and Step On which was terminally bad, as well as a surprising (and competent) version of 24 Hour Party People to close the set.
And just a one track encore? "For Tony. The dead bloke." Ryder is as Ryder does and Ryder is an… Twenty years ago, Bez on drugs dancing his face off was a pretty cool gimmick. Now he just wanders to and fro across the stage looking ridiculous.
£25 for a 70 minute show? I don't think so! Thank heavens for the pink wrist band.
Of the new stuff, only Dysfunktional Uncle seemed to have any form, and most of the rest came over as rambling and ultimately pointless.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#13797 10/10/07 09:17 AM
I did wonder how the transition from John Foxx to happy Mondays occurred!

Anyway your review doesn't surprise me. I always have, and always will, detest that band. I don't see the point!

Rant over.

#13798 10/10/07 09:24 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Lol - thanks.
You gotta keep it varied though.

Don't tell anyone, but John Foxx is only one of about 500 other bands I listen to regularly.
Light and shade, always exploring. Blah- di-blah cool

#13799 10/10/07 09:41 AM
In recent years I did narrow down my music collection to focus on the artists and bands I really love. I own around 400 CDs now - I used to have a lot more. Nowadays I tend to find that I go through phases of listening to an artist or band for days on end, sometimes for several weeks, before moving on to another.

But like you, John is one of many other favourites. He'd be in my top 5 though if I had to choose!!

#13800 10/10/07 01:25 PM
Ive narrowed down my music collection too over the past few years, but still ended up with just about 500 artists. It was into around 800 groups from the year . til now.

#13801 10/10/07 01:27 PM
I have narrowed down also but at the same time expanded, if that makes any sense.

#13802 10/10/07 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
I have narrowed down also but at the same time expanded, if that makes any sense.
Sure does. Less money, time and space used for groups you hardly play, more time and money to explore new ones.

#13803 10/10/07 02:11 PM
I must live a sheltered life. frown

The only person I see live is John but that may change next year and see Gary Numan. Hemel Hempstead is such a dull town musically, no decent venues.

I don't have a vast CD collection about 250 but it's quite varied musically.

Peter

#13804 10/10/07 02:15 PM
If Numan does his Replicas tour in February as planned Peter, you will have to go!! I might even see you there, which would be cool!

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.