Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 749 of 753 1 2 747 748 749 750 751 752 753
T
T
Originally Posted By: The Quiet Trees
Originally Posted By: MikeG
Visage - Hearts & Knives

Pretty good actually

Against all the odds my album of the year so far. It just hits the spot.

Yes, it is very good. Was never too keen on Visage (they seemed to me to take the potential of an Ultravox and Magazine supergroup fronted by a perfect pop star in Steve Strange and ... well it never worked for me) but Robin Simon's involvement had me interested. So far it feels like a missing link between The Garden and, well I'll say it because I thought it at the time, Bucks Fizz. Which isn't as bad as you might assume ...

T
T
Yes it does strike a winning balance between pop and an edgier sound. Though Bucks Fizz didn't come to mind for me because for one thing Lauren Duvall's sweet vocals are backing and never lead. Though I suppose as a link you aren't too far off the mark.

Something that should encourage any waverers on Hearts And Knives is it takes The Maths' route and only vintage analogue synths are employed, along with a very 1982 production. Robin Simon's input is fantastic, he is awesome on 'Lost In Static'.

Last edited by The Quiet Trees; 08/17/13 03:43 PM.
Going through things alphabetically today so it's been

ABBA
ABC
Associates
Air
..now going for a bit of Blancmange.

Visage; Hearts and Knives

I totally agree with the TEC review here: http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/visage-hearts-and-knives/. There’s proper songs on it - but the production is very flat and very messy and Strange sounds half awake. The thing that got me was the drum programming – really, really terrible and in this century – when you can get decent vintage drum machines on your phone, there’s no reason for it. Having just re-read the review, it says the drums were recorded in a single day, it sounds like it too. Some of synth sounds are really ill-chosen as well.

It’s a start though, and nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, but I doubt I’ll be playing it more than a handful of times.

T
T
I actually see the validity in most of the criticisms in the Electricity Club review. But those things somehow just aren't a problem for me with Hearts And Knives. I guess I judge it as if it was made in 1982.

I
I
Originally Posted By: MemberD

ABBA
ABC
Associates
Air

so
BAY CITY ROLLERS
BONEY M
coming up next I'm well jealous here Membs !

I
I
This must be a first for Metamatic

Orchestra Bailam e Compagnia di Canto Trallalero
I had the pleasure of seeing these down the coast live and free early July Excrellent so I bought there CD
All in Genoese dialect , some songs date from the 12 and 13th century I can't find my fave toon Barba Tomaxin(Uncle Tommy) So you'll have to make do with this for now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_n0wE-kb8

In some somgs they sounded like The Mission or Echo and The Bunnymen

Originally Posted By: Ivan Basso
Originally Posted By: MemberD

ABBA
ABC
Associates
Air

so
BAY CITY ROLLERS
BONEY M
coming up next I'm well jealous here Membs !

and so you should be my son .. .even though it was more
BAUHAUS - BOWIE - BUSH 'n' BEATLES

Mr Amazon arrived.
Hannah Peel - Nailhouse EP - Good, love "Harbour" of course.
Magnetic North - Orkney - Great relaxer on the high-stress commute!
Juri and John - European Splendour - Loving it more and more and is putting so many images in my head that I think a mini video may pop out soon if I get enough material.
OMD - English Electric - Wow, straight out of the '80's. It is 30 years too late, but I like it!

I have all of those.

Have a soft spot for the Hannah Peel/Magnetic North ones which are really good.

Love the Nailhouse Red Cover/White Vinyl.

Brian

Page 749 of 753 1 2 747 748 749 750 751 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.