Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Cheers Membs!

The lack of media and press about The Shape of Things is surprising, given that it's the follow-up to what must be the most 'talked up' album of all time, and for many passers by marked the 'return' of John Foxx.

Unless I'm not looking...??

Has anyone seen reviews etc anywhere in the monthlies, or online etc?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
It was released initially as a tour exclusive and now as a Townsend exclusive, if I'm not mistaken. It seems likely that the press would see it as a minor souvenir kind of thing, not a proper follow-up to Interplay.

Being a tour 'exclusive', then a Townsend-only album, I suspect it will get overlooked by most people - unless they know where to look for it!

It deserves a general/wider release. Next year maybe...

Actually this may interest the geekier among us - I applied Google Analytics to my Quiet City website at the start of October – and since then it has had an incredible 1,299 visits since then.

As of today, Analytics tells me that the 5 most-visited pages are:
News (933 views)
Discography (651)
Index (home) (447)
The Shape of Things page (164)
Interplay tour review (126)

With the Dislocation (biog), Links, Plaza, Ed Fielding interview and new single releases pages making up the rest of the top 10 most visited pages.

I look at these stats for both this and my artwork website each day. it's very interesting to me to see what's popular, and in the case of Quiet City, it's obvious that people are searching for or finding the Shape of Things album and tour pages and also the news. Which on the one hand is good news for me as it proves the site is doing its job, and also proves that these are (as one would expect) the current hot topics when it comes to Foxx.

Coincidentally, the top 'exit' pages are also the news page and home page, so I'm not sure what to make of that!

The top 5 country locations of its visitors are UK (as expected), USA, Germany, Italy, Belgium.

The keyword search that people have put into Google to find the site is also interesting, but not surprising. Although at entry number 3 in the top key word searches is "John Foxx head injury"(!), with "John Foxx The Shape of Things at 4 and "John Foxx and the maths" at position 5.

Interestingly (and again unsurprisingly) visits to the site peaked during the week commencing 24th October - ie right in the middle of the tour.

G
G
Originally Posted By: Alex S
Actually this may interest the geekier among us - I applied Google Analytics to my Quiet City website at the start of October – and since then it has had an incredible 1,299 visits since then.

As of today, Analytics tells me that the 5 most-visited pages are:
News (933 views)
Discography (651)
Index (home) (447)
The Shape of Things page (164)
Interplay tour review (126)

With the Dislocation (biog), Links, Plaza, Ed Fielding interview and new single releases pages making up the rest of the top 10 most visited pages.

I look at these stats for both this and my artwork website each day. it's very interesting to me to see what's popular, and in the case of Quiet City, it's obvious that people are searching for or finding the Shape of Things album and tour pages and also the news. Which on the one hand is good news for me as it proves the site is doing its job, and also proves that these are (as one would expect) the current hot topics when it comes to Foxx.

Coincidentally, the top 'exit' pages are also the news page and home page, so I'm not sure what to make of that!

The top 5 country locations of its visitors are UK (as expected), USA, Germany, Italy, Belgium.

The keyword search that people have put into Google to find the site is also interesting, but not surprising. Although at entry number 3 in the top key word searches is "John Foxx head injury"(!), with "John Foxx The Shape of Things at 4 and "John Foxx and the maths" at position 5.

Interestingly (and again unsurprisingly) visits to the site peaked during the week commencing 24th October - ie right in the middle of the tour.

I'm not surprised by some of these stats.

You've got a great website there Alex and I found it particularly useful when I first discovered John Foxx's music and would visit it a lot when deciding which of his albums to buy next - needless to say I eventually bought all of them.... lol

Your reviews of his albums are particularly informative smile

Thank you Graham, that means a lot smile

When I first made the site in 2006 it was to do exactly that, inform and inspire people just discovering John's work. And at the time there wasn't much on the net about him beyond this site and MySpace. of course it's all changed now, but as a fan project, I guess it still has it's place smile

C
C
Originally Posted By: Alex S

it's obvious that people are searching for or finding the Shape of Things album and tour pages and also the news

I must be a geek Alex because I do find your statistics interesting, and its a credit to your site that you've had a lot of virtual footsteps. As regards Metamatic, I noticed that since the start of the tour that the online viewing presence on here had shot up dramatically from 2 or 3 and up to 40 or more whenever I visited myself, this was throughout the day and evening, (correct me if I'm wrong Martin) it appeared to me that the forum rooms 'John Foxx', and 'John Foxx and The Maths' had a lot of watchers, but surprisingly the biggest majority seemed to be (and still were up until at least last week) all watching 'The Green Room'!

...Oh, I've just looked, right now there's 42 viewing 'John Foxx'...

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
No, you're right.

During the tour I think John's online presence shot up everywhere - including the forum at this site. Our role is not primarily as a News Feed yet (although we are working on it) - the social media etc sites seem to lead on that.

I suspect that surge of interest was behind the decision to release a download version of Interplay

There are regularly 40 - 60 people viewing the forums. Often more than that.

We all know that The Maths is only one incarnation of The Foxx, another chapter in the life of The Quiet Man, and via sites like here and The Quiet City, you can get information about everything else he has been involved with which (at least I believe) must help to fuel back catalogue sales as well as current material

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Originally Posted By: Birdsong
Cheers Membs!

The lack of media and press about The Shape of Things is surprising, given that it's the follow-up to what must be the most 'talked up' album of all time, and for many passers by marked the 'return' of John Foxx.

Unless I'm not looking...??

Has anyone seen reviews etc anywhere in the monthlies, or online etc?

Nothing as of yet. Although I would imagine some copies have been sent to the media for review. Though in that case, surely it's lack of availability causes a problem... folk read the review, want the album, then find that it was only available on the tour and then only available from one site, which may have sold out.

So in one sense, what's the point in reviewing something that isn't or at some point, won't be, available for everyone?

It's an odd tactic. Great for those of us who made it to the shows or rushed online to buy it at the first opportunity. On the one hand, it makes it more elusive and sought-after (cue outrageous ebay auctions), on the other hand, it's very frustrating for people who were introduced or re-introduced to Foxx through Interplay who find out about it after the event, as it were.

But like I said, this may change if it gets reissued as a single disc at some point. Then it would make sense for it to be picked up by the music press and available in all the usual outlets.

...and I should point out, that out of all the instrumental breaks on the album, Astoria stands out as my favourite smile

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.