Metamatic
Posted By: Birdsong The Shape Of Things - 10/13/11 06:30 PM
John Foxx And the Maths new album The Shape Of Things is released today, marking the start of the exciting 'Interplay' tour.

There's an exclusive track from the album here:

http://thequietus.com/articles/07169-john-foxx-tara-busch

available as part of an interview with John and Tara Busch, who is supporting the band on most of the dates.
Posted By: core memory Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/13/11 08:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Birdsong
...an interview with John and Tara Busch, who is supporting the band on most of the dates.

Where You End And I Begin - great collaboration, had to play the track over several times in a row, the feeling of it certainly ties in with whats been said by Tara and John in the interesting interview, and I'd have to 'clap my hands and say yeah!' if they both do make an album together... please, make it so.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/13/11 10:43 PM
It is a superb track.

For so long now, I have been willing John Foxx to work with 'girls'.

So for me, this era is something I have looked forward to for ages.
Posted By: Geigertek Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/14/11 07:17 AM
This is getting unbearable - I cannot wait for the 25th for the gig, to see Tara performing and get the new album......it's never going to get here!!!
Posted By: core memory Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/14/11 07:25 PM
This track is fantastic, chic and interesting, just been playing it over again this evening, wish there was more...

Where You End And I Begin: http://thequietus.com/articles/07169-john-foxx-tara-busch
Posted By: The Quiet Trees Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/15/11 05:03 PM
The Shape Of Things gets better with every play! The latest to really do it for me is Falling Away. At first I thought it was TOO raw. But I think it's more a case of growing accustomed to a bit of roughing it. smile

And Vapour Trails has such a breezy catchiness. cool
Posted By: The Quiet Trees Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/16/11 06:24 PM
I should probably stop posting in this thread until more of us have The Shape Of Things, as I can imagine how tantalizing only being able to read about it must be. But I would just add that it's surely going to figure in most people's favourites list. It's like Metamatic's untamed cousin finally showed up for dinner. grin
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/25/11 01:36 PM
It's a very different album to Interplay; complimentary and contrasting at the same time.

Right now, I'm blown away and intensely moved by "Unrecognised".

The Quiet City review will hopefully be going online later.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/26/11 10:19 AM
Andy Gray's remix of "Interplay" is perfect. Beyond perfect.
Posted By: MikeG Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/26/11 10:57 AM
I suppose it was inevitable that this was going to happen: -

ebay
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/26/11 12:05 PM
Originally Posted By: MikeG

ebay

Sad. It's not even autographed!
Posted By: Graham73 Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/26/11 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: MemberD

ebay

I couldn't agree more, and wrong on so many levels.

But I suppose if there's someone selling and someone who's willing to pay silly money like that, then that's between them, but it's very sad none the less frown

My partner and I had VIP tickets for Glasgow which included the new album "The Shape of Things" and the Gazelle Twin CD.

When we met John after the soundcheck he was kind enough to sign both of them for us.

I noticed that someone has already put the Gazelle Twin CD (signed) on ebay.

The signed album and Remix CD are to myself and my partner a reminder of very special night when we got meet a very special man who was kind enough to autograph them for us.

You could offer us £1000 for each of them and we still wouldn't sell.

There are some things in life that you can't put a price on, and special is one of them.

Graham
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/27/11 07:46 AM
Originally Posted By: MemberD

ebay

PS this is also partly why I'm *against* 'tour only' CD sales.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/27/11 08:21 AM
There has probably been enough copies pressed for the CD to be sold online after the tour, unless that stock will just be whatever is leftover. Maybe it'll get a wider release at a later date, like they did with Sideways.

Back to the content of the album, I really am enjoying it, though it is so different to Interplay. It's more like a further exploration of Interplay's darker moments.

And those Andy Gray Remixes are outstanding. I'd love to see Gray produce or collaborate on a future Foxx album.
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/27/11 09:05 AM
It was stated on the JF&M official site that it would be available through Townsend afterwards, although obviously some folks aren't aware of that.
Posted By: Geigertek Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/27/11 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Alex S
Back to the content of the album, I really am enjoying it, though it is so different to Interplay. It's more like a further exploration of Interplay's darker moments.

And those Andy Gray Remixes are outstanding. I'd love to see Gray produce or collaborate on a future Foxx album.

Totally agree. I've been listening through the album today and I am quite impressed. It's the perfect follow-up to "Interplay" which was quite a light, up-tempo affair on the whole, whereas "The Shape Of Things" is that much darker and has a more experimental feel to it. I can certainly hear more of Benge's influence coming through and sounding great for it. The remixes are all very good - I love the ""The Good Shadow" one, one of my favourite tracks on "Interplay", this re-mix gives a different perspective.

Stand out track on "The Shape Of Things" for me is "Tides". A great track that perfectly shows the talents of both John and Ben well.
Posted By: Black Shadow Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/28/11 06:18 AM
Hi Losers,

My daughter won that auction and she won it fair and square. She's in the autistic range and she won it with my money and my permission. Comment all you like but I will spend my money (which is considerable) any way I want to. Where do you get off telling me it was a 'silly' investment? It's not 'silly' until I say it's 'silly'. I'll tell you what's 'inevitable' - highest bid wins auction - so suck eggs!
P.S. You wouldn't want to have been in auctions I have participated in where I have bid nearly a $1,000.00 on an item -and to your eternal chagrin, yes! I won it ! So, dear amateurs learn your craft and don't bitch until you're more practised in what you're doing. There's nothing worse than a baying pack of "also rans".

Cheers and W.G.A.S.A!

Papa Bear
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/28/11 08:10 AM
Oh well, that's that cleared up then. We're "losers" and the "winner" takes all. Anyway it's a free world - and above all a free market - so feel free to insult.

Hope you enjoy the album. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/28/11 09:02 AM
I'm surprised by how few comments there have been on it's actual content - which I think is very good! I would think after the London gigs, most folk here will have heard it by now.

"Rear View Mirror", "September Town", "Unrecognised", "Falling Away" and "The SHadow of His Former Self" are the standout tracks for me.
Posted By: Brian Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/28/11 10:10 AM
I've not had chance to do a review but I agree on the tracks you've chosen Alex,also like Vapour trails.

Love the lyrics on Unrecognised.

Is he singing about his lover or his CR78? grin

Brian
Posted By: Geigertek Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/28/11 10:39 AM
Loving this new album - today the remix of "The Good Shadow" is the object of my aural obsession. Great booklet as well, I am q follower of Ed Fielding and really like his work. After talking to Benge when I went to photograph his studio last month, I've been looking at the work of Jonathon Barnbrook - very interesting stuff I have to say. I like the way all these differnt artists have come together for the album artwork.

@Brian: the lover or the CR78? Perhaps a small sweepstake should be set up for that one - my fiver will be on the CR78 :-)
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/28/11 10:54 AM
Given it a few listens and the stand-out vocal track for me is
"Falling Away" which sounds like a revived long-lost Metamatic demo, with distorted guitar over the top.

Also love the Tara busch track, but wonder why it was shoved in with the remixes on disc two. Mysterious ways.
Posted By: Geigertek Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/28/11 12:42 PM
I wondered also about the Tara Busch one as it is a very strong track - would make a good single.
Posted By: loveaction Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/28/11 05:29 PM
Any news yet as to when this will be available for those not able to get to the tour
Posted By: John Taylor Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/28/11 05:56 PM
I had to leave at 1145pm so very disappointed to have missed out on this CD
Posted By: Steve Roby Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/29/11 02:55 AM
I'm surprised by how few comments there have been on it's actual content - which I think is very good! I would think after the London gigs, most folk here will have heard it by now.

If/when I'm granted the opportunity to buy this album I'll be sure to comment on it.
Posted By: Geigertek Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/29/11 08:25 AM
Is it my imagination or is John's vocal on this album probably the best it's ever been on a recording?
Posted By: John Taylor Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/29/11 09:52 AM
eBay has two of these sets from the gigs, one last night went for £56! Will the Shape Of Things ever get a general release?
Posted By: John Taylor Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/30/11 10:27 AM
I'm getting annoyed with people's antics on eBay, two bids on two different sellers cancelled, when I asked why only one has responded that someone asked for a buy it now price......grrrr
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/30/11 10:37 AM
As I understand it,The Shape Of Things will shortly be available via Townsend, the John Foxx official online store.

Probably won't cost anywhere near £56.00... smile

I left the gig early too and in my haste forgot to pick up a copy too!!
Posted By: John Taylor Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/30/11 10:46 AM
That's good news, will keep an eye out for it.Thanks
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/30/11 02:15 PM
John's singing on the tour has been the best I've ever heard it, and I do think the vocals on the album are very strong too.

£15 for a nicely packaged 2-CD set was very good value in my opinion. I hope that everybody who missed out on getting a copy managed to get it online.

Maybe when this stock is out, they might re-issue it as a single CD standard album at some point, like they did with Sideways. It's certainly worthy of a wider release.
Posted By: Sean Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/30/11 03:53 PM
I'm enjoying the new material also but it's still too early for me to pick out the best tracks.

I feel sure it will be made more readily available, especially if more tour dates on the way.
Posted By: MikeG Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/30/11 04:33 PM
I’ve had a few listens to the album now.

My favourite track is Unrecognised – wonderfully dramatic. Where You End And I Begin is another great highlight; as already mentioned it’s a pity this could not have found its way onto CD1.

From the remixes I really like the Grayed Out versions of Watching A Building On Fire and Interplay. I’m thinking the former could even better the version on the Interplay album.

Also nice to see September Town has found its way on to a CD release – well deserved.

This album probably doesn’t have the same broad appeal as Interplay, but it’s still a worthy follow up.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/30/11 06:04 PM
Is that the Underpass intro/drone used in Falling Away??
Posted By: VS303 Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/31/11 02:27 PM
Now available at Townsend @ £14.99
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/31/11 03:00 PM
Great news for those who missed out on it at the gigs - and sooner than expected. I wonder how many copies are available.

It's well worth the price tag - two discs of non-stop brilliance, nice packaging and a really well designed booklet with superb photography. I much prefer the packaging/booklet of this to Interplay - although there is a strong continuity.
Posted By: loveaction Re: The Shape Of Things - 10/31/11 09:33 PM
Mine is ordered, looking forward to this very much. Interplay is the album of the year for me, lets hope this is in 2nd place!
Posted By: jhoward Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/01/11 01:01 AM
I've ordered mine, can't wait! I'll share my thoughts after a few listens.
Posted By: Steve Roby Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/01/11 01:58 AM
I've ordered mine. I don't know what the chances are of this selling out, but it seems to me that John has had more buzz and more media coverage this year than he has in a long time. It feels like a real possibility that this one may go fast.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/01/11 12:39 PM
One of John's various Facebook profiles mentioned yesterday that they might consider releasing a standard CD edition - ie normal packaging and just the Shape of Things (no bonus disc), but if they do, it won't be until next year.
Posted By: NerveJam Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/01/11 02:44 PM
Ordered mine.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/01/11 03:40 PM
It's also the first album (excluding compilations) to feature John in the artwork since............

.....In Mysterious Ways?!
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/01/11 03:58 PM
It's also the first album (excluding compilations) to feature John in the artwork since............

.....In Mysterious Ways?!

What about My Lost City and The Quiet Man?

Rob
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/01/11 04:03 PM
Oh... you might be right! Though I haven't got The Quiet Man, but I'm going to have to check the booklet in My Lost City....
Posted By: nightporter Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/01/11 04:27 PM
Still upset could,nt make the london shows,this release will make it a little better ordered.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/05/11 09:21 PM
Third time through this album, and it intrigues me more each time.

I've just described Falling Away as 'Confusion Blues', which is a phrase I'm dead pleased with.
So far I think it's the stand out track, along with Modreno that comes immediately before it. As I listen to that, i can see the camera scanning round the recently discovered, partially overgrown doll factory at Kings Cross. Mannequins lying all over the place in the dust. All painted with the faces of lovers referred to in The Shape Of Things, and a few snatches of lyrics written in biro on the walls.

We'll never leave here, never.
Let's stay in here for ever.

Just occasionally, it's pure and good and right to see that John Foxx hasn't moved on at all smile
Posted By: John Taylor Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/05/11 09:39 PM
Good album,has already had several plays with no use of the skip button. Spirus has a Hendrix sound to it.
Posted By: Shadow Man Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/06/11 09:21 AM
I had a few listens to this album and have to say it is great!
It grows on me from listen to listen. The stand out track for me is Talk.
I love this dark track.Would be interesting to hear it live one day!

This album is a nice follow up to Interplay. The second CD is an interesting bonus though I prefer the originals to the remixes. Outstanding track is the Tara Busch colaboration.

Thanks to John and Benge for these two great album's!
Posted By: MemberD Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/11/11 10:58 AM
From Belbury blog :

Shape of Things / Summerland plug plus...

Quote:
Meanwhile work continues on the forthcoming collaboration between Belbury Poly, The Advisory circle and John Foxx. More news on this very exciting project early next year.

link

cool
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/11/11 06:40 PM
Cheers Membs!

The lack of media and press about The Shape of Things is surprising, given that it's the follow-up to what must be the most 'talked up' album of all time, and for many passers by marked the 'return' of John Foxx.

Unless I'm not looking...??

Has anyone seen reviews etc anywhere in the monthlies, or online etc?
Posted By: Steve Roby Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/12/11 08:05 PM
It was released initially as a tour exclusive and now as a Townsend exclusive, if I'm not mistaken. It seems likely that the press would see it as a minor souvenir kind of thing, not a proper follow-up to Interplay.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/13/11 12:22 PM
Being a tour 'exclusive', then a Townsend-only album, I suspect it will get overlooked by most people - unless they know where to look for it!

It deserves a general/wider release. Next year maybe...
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/13/11 12:50 PM
Actually this may interest the geekier among us - I applied Google Analytics to my Quiet City website at the start of October – and since then it has had an incredible 1,299 visits since then.

As of today, Analytics tells me that the 5 most-visited pages are:
News (933 views)
Discography (651)
Index (home) (447)
The Shape of Things page (164)
Interplay tour review (126)

With the Dislocation (biog), Links, Plaza, Ed Fielding interview and new single releases pages making up the rest of the top 10 most visited pages.

I look at these stats for both this and my artwork website each day. it's very interesting to me to see what's popular, and in the case of Quiet City, it's obvious that people are searching for or finding the Shape of Things album and tour pages and also the news. Which on the one hand is good news for me as it proves the site is doing its job, and also proves that these are (as one would expect) the current hot topics when it comes to Foxx.

Coincidentally, the top 'exit' pages are also the news page and home page, so I'm not sure what to make of that!

The top 5 country locations of its visitors are UK (as expected), USA, Germany, Italy, Belgium.

The keyword search that people have put into Google to find the site is also interesting, but not surprising. Although at entry number 3 in the top key word searches is "John Foxx head injury"(!), with "John Foxx The Shape of Things at 4 and "John Foxx and the maths" at position 5.

Interestingly (and again unsurprisingly) visits to the site peaked during the week commencing 24th October - ie right in the middle of the tour.
Posted By: Graham73 Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/13/11 03:47 PM
Actually this may interest the geekier among us - I applied Google Analytics to my Quiet City website at the start of October – and since then it has had an incredible 1,299 visits since then.

As of today, Analytics tells me that the 5 most-visited pages are:
News (933 views)
Discography (651)
Index (home) (447)
The Shape of Things page (164)
Interplay tour review (126)

With the Dislocation (biog), Links, Plaza, Ed Fielding interview and new single releases pages making up the rest of the top 10 most visited pages.

I look at these stats for both this and my artwork website each day. it's very interesting to me to see what's popular, and in the case of Quiet City, it's obvious that people are searching for or finding the Shape of Things album and tour pages and also the news. Which on the one hand is good news for me as it proves the site is doing its job, and also proves that these are (as one would expect) the current hot topics when it comes to Foxx.

Coincidentally, the top 'exit' pages are also the news page and home page, so I'm not sure what to make of that!

The top 5 country locations of its visitors are UK (as expected), USA, Germany, Italy, Belgium.

The keyword search that people have put into Google to find the site is also interesting, but not surprising. Although at entry number 3 in the top key word searches is "John Foxx head injury"(!), with "John Foxx The Shape of Things at 4 and "John Foxx and the maths" at position 5.

Interestingly (and again unsurprisingly) visits to the site peaked during the week commencing 24th October - ie right in the middle of the tour.

I'm not surprised by some of these stats.

You've got a great website there Alex and I found it particularly useful when I first discovered John Foxx's music and would visit it a lot when deciding which of his albums to buy next - needless to say I eventually bought all of them.... lol

Your reviews of his albums are particularly informative smile
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/13/11 03:55 PM
Thank you Graham, that means a lot smile

When I first made the site in 2006 it was to do exactly that, inform and inspire people just discovering John's work. And at the time there wasn't much on the net about him beyond this site and MySpace. of course it's all changed now, but as a fan project, I guess it still has it's place smile
Posted By: core memory Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/13/11 11:57 PM

it's obvious that people are searching for or finding the Shape of Things album and tour pages and also the news

I must be a geek Alex because I do find your statistics interesting, and its a credit to your site that you've had a lot of virtual footsteps. As regards Metamatic, I noticed that since the start of the tour that the online viewing presence on here had shot up dramatically from 2 or 3 and up to 40 or more whenever I visited myself, this was throughout the day and evening, (correct me if I'm wrong Martin) it appeared to me that the forum rooms 'John Foxx', and 'John Foxx and The Maths' had a lot of watchers, but surprisingly the biggest majority seemed to be (and still were up until at least last week) all watching 'The Green Room'!

...Oh, I've just looked, right now there's 42 viewing 'John Foxx'...
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/14/11 10:49 AM
No, you're right.

During the tour I think John's online presence shot up everywhere - including the forum at this site. Our role is not primarily as a News Feed yet (although we are working on it) - the social media etc sites seem to lead on that.

I suspect that surge of interest was behind the decision to release a download version of Interplay

There are regularly 40 - 60 people viewing the forums. Often more than that.

We all know that The Maths is only one incarnation of The Foxx, another chapter in the life of The Quiet Man, and via sites like here and The Quiet City, you can get information about everything else he has been involved with which (at least I believe) must help to fuel back catalogue sales as well as current material
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/14/11 12:07 PM
Cheers Membs!

The lack of media and press about The Shape of Things is surprising, given that it's the follow-up to what must be the most 'talked up' album of all time, and for many passers by marked the 'return' of John Foxx.

Unless I'm not looking...??

Has anyone seen reviews etc anywhere in the monthlies, or online etc?

Nothing as of yet. Although I would imagine some copies have been sent to the media for review. Though in that case, surely it's lack of availability causes a problem... folk read the review, want the album, then find that it was only available on the tour and then only available from one site, which may have sold out.

So in one sense, what's the point in reviewing something that isn't or at some point, won't be, available for everyone?

It's an odd tactic. Great for those of us who made it to the shows or rushed online to buy it at the first opportunity. On the one hand, it makes it more elusive and sought-after (cue outrageous ebay auctions), on the other hand, it's very frustrating for people who were introduced or re-introduced to Foxx through Interplay who find out about it after the event, as it were.

But like I said, this may change if it gets reissued as a single disc at some point. Then it would make sense for it to be picked up by the music press and available in all the usual outlets.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/14/11 12:08 PM
...and I should point out, that out of all the instrumental breaks on the album, Astoria stands out as my favourite smile
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/14/11 07:35 PM

Modreno for me, but I like them all!!
Posted By: Geigertek Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 09:26 AM
Should it get the single CD issue, then I hope the collab with Tara Busch is included. I have the double so "I'm sorted" as it were, but ti would be a great shame for other's not to hear it and have it.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 09:54 AM
"Where You End and I Begin" would make a good bonus track, but I don't think it fits in with the rest of the album at all – and I guess that's why it was put on CD2.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 11:51 AM

In hindsight, which is wonderfully unfair, I was thinking that maybe ONLY the bonus disc of remixes should have been issued as a tour exclusive. Including the Tara Busch track (a NEW track always makes something more appealling on the merchandise desk), AND the Gazelle Twin remix as well.

Then a full album release with all the impact and trimmings for The Shape Of Things 1xCD as a single 'follow up album' later.

We all have different ideas about things like "how we would have done it"...

I don't know how many packs of TSOT 2xCD have been printed, but until they are sold out I can't see why there should be a second 'single disc' release at all?

Or am I just having a bad day...?
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 12:02 PM
If worrying too much about The Shape of Things equates to a bad day, then maybe I'd seek professional help wink

But it is interesting how this release has thrown up such thoughts and conversations. it's a good album - therefore it warrants a proper/full release (anybody disagree?). Through that I think there are a few simple factors...

- not all Foxx fans could make it to the tour, so missed the CD
- some people may not like the idea of having to buy the CD from just one online outlet
- some people may only discover Interplay at a later date, then wanting TSOT, only to be disappointed
- a single CD release might lessen overpriced online auctions
Posted By: core memory Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 12:15 PM
Yes, I'm in agreement about this, and particularly with Martins thought that the bonus disc could have been a gig exclusive during the tour period, (and in fairness to all it could become a wider release at some other date for everyone not attending any show). The Shape Of Things would have made a good general release follow-up album to Interplay, perhaps early next year.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 12:30 PM
Actually, I forgot to mention that I also think it would have worked better that way.

The tour exclusive being the remixes and one new track would have done nicely, providing a suitable filler between Interplay and TSOT.

It does feel like TSOT hasn't been picked up by many - even the general absence of praise for it on here has surprised me. Though I'm not saying I'm not happy having it - on the contrary! But it does feel slightly rushed. That gives it a certain charm and feel, but with a bit more gestation time, I wonder how it may have differed.

All hypothetical anyway, since the album is already out and it isn't suddenly going to suck back out of our collections and be released in a blaze of glory next year!
Posted By: core memory Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 01:06 PM
It does feel like TSOT hasn't been picked up by many - even the general absence of praise for it on here has surprised me

I'm saving my praise Alex as I only just got my copy from Townsend last week, so far not even broke the shrinkwrap. I was cash-strapped at the gig, and I already had a few other new CD's that I've been listening/returning to, hate to hear more than one or two at a time as too many spoil the enjoyment, so TSOT is presently being saved for my 100% attention!
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 01:14 PM
I relate! For me it was all about the combination of listening to fresh new music while enjoying the post-gig buzz.

For what it's worth I also think the design and packaging (cover aside) beats Interplay's.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 02:15 PM

I wasn't implying in any way that The Shape Of Things was rushed! Far from it - I think its a brilliant album, well-produced, great packaging etc etc.

It captures that sense of urgency and immediacy very well in line with John's philosophy of do it, don't over-plan it. If it works in one take - print. It FEELS really intense and perfect for all the right reasons.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 04:35 PM
Spontaneous is the best word, perhaps.

I recall in one of the pre-tour radio interviews John was discussing the necessity of fast-working.
Posted By: the church puddle Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/15/11 09:30 PM
Originally Posted By: core memory
It does feel like TSOT hasn't been picked up by many - even the general absence of praise for it on here has surprised me

I'm saving my praise Alex as I only just got my copy from Townsend last week, so far not even broke the shrinkwrap. I was cash-strapped at the gig, and I already had a few other new CD's that I've been listening/returning to, hate to hear more than one or two at a time as too many spoil the enjoyment, so TSOT is presently being saved for my 100% attention!

I'm also saving it, although I am not quite sure why or for when. One day, hopefully in 2011, the time will be right for it. Sometimes I think the perfect album is the one you read lots of good things about (which is certainly true of TSOT) but will never hear. Albums that sound like they sound incredible. On a similar note but a lesser volume, I have never heard Tiger Lily which I find quite astonishing sometimes ...
Posted By: Steve Roby Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/16/11 02:08 AM
Originally Posted By: the church puddle
On a similar note but a lesser volume, I have never heard Tiger Lily which I find quite astonishing sometimes ...

There are probably some fans who wish they hadn't heard Tiger Lily. I got the reissued 7" in the early 80s and liked Ain't Misbehavin' for its silliness but have probably listened to Monkey Jive in its entirety three or four times in my life.

Listening to The Shape of Things for the first time. So far, so good.
Posted By: jhoward Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/16/11 04:33 AM
My copy finally arrived, and on first listen, what more can I say than that I love it!

The packaging is stunning, a lot nicer than what I was expecting (actually, I didn't know what to expect), but I was pleasantly surprised with the hardcover presentation.

And the music absolutely blows me away. This is what I was originally expecting from The Maths. When Interplay was released, although I love that album, it was quite different from what I had originally pictured.

I take my hat off to John and Benge, they've put together a fantastic piece of work, complimenting Interplay perfectly.
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/16/11 09:22 AM
Perhaps this album is also closer to John's original ideas for The Maths - the 'poppiness' of Interplay took everyone by surprise, I think!
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/18/11 11:04 AM
I realise I have been a bit negative in some of my comments on how The Shape Of Things has been presented, which I want to make sure don't distract from the fact that I think it's a SUPERB album in terms of the music on it.
Which after all is what really matters!!

There have been some comparisons between the pairing of this and Interplay with the 'From Trash' and 'Sideways' releases in 2006/07. I can see why!

Was it really that long ago??
The difference this time round for me is that I love Interplay as well, whereas its quite well-known in these parts that I don't rate From Trash very highly at all and IMHO Sideways is a much superior piece of work.

There are three elements of The Shape Of Things which I particularly like:

One is the sense of theme and overall 'togetherness' of the tracks, which seem to take Foxx as close as he has ever come to a 'concept' album. That sense of looking back, reflecting on times, places, lovers and a life 'unlived' is something I can personally relate to directly. I feel the longing, the affection, the importance of those Never Moments - glances, shapes, whispers that all hint of things that form our memory.
The influence of the past on the present, and how it shapes who we are and where we have perhaps not quite been.
The lyrics present a lot of 'what ifs' - some for better and some for worse. It comes across more strongly on this album as a common theme than I think it does in any other album, especially because the actual 'sound' of the tracks themselves is particularly diverse.

Which is the second element that appeals to me. The way that all the aural fragments and bits and pieces are so cleverly linked and interwoven.
I'm curious to know what other people think of the mixture of instrumental and vocal pieces here - I would imagine we have a diverse range of opinions on that.
I think it really works, and the tiny colour soundtracks inbetween the songs serve as breaks in the thought process, dividing the album into vague chapters. The middle part is the strongest, beginning with Modreno - clever that - and going through the discordant feedback or organised noise that is Falling Away. Foxx plays guitar here himself I believe. An unusual track, and now among my 'personal best' in his latter career. Then the two 80s throwback songs Invisible Ray and Vapour Trails, which sound like they were recorded twenty years ago. Stylistically, I think that's inspired too.
This middle third closes with Buddwing which is great title (I'd not heard of the film before) and also brings a lot of things together despite being so short. It's partly Cathedral Oceans, partly Tiny Colour Movies, partly Nighthwaks, partly Metalbeat...
It's this section of the album (the 'golden' section...?) that I reckon captures that unfinished-ness, that sense of immediacy and the not-quite-perfect sound we have talked about above.

And that's the other part that TSOT represents to me. It draws together lots of sonic ideas, bits of melody, loops and sequences that John has revisited throughout his career and bundles them all up into on 45 minute package. Which of course neatly parallels the lyrical theme.
I think it is one of the most quintessential John Foxx albums, that brings together the whole assembly more effectively than any other so far.

It also takes The Maths sound forward and closer to the beginning.

Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/18/11 11:24 AM
Great post Martin, and a spot on analysis. I'd say it's Foxx's most emotive writing for a while, ad there is a strong sense of reflection and melancholy throughout the album and as you say, a lot of those 'what ifs?', which I think is always a fascinating subject, just like fate.

Listening closely, TSOT has links to Metamatic, Tiny Colour Movies, Systems of Romance, Nation12 and The Pleasures of Electricity. I really like the instrumental segues between tracks - there's just enough of them to keep to keep things short and interesting.

Only "Vapour Trails" and "Tides" seem to stand out a little stylewise, not quite matching in with the rest. "The Shadow of His Former Self" is also quite an unusual closing track and an interesting choice.
Posted By: Brian Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/18/11 11:50 AM
Spot on post Martin.

TSOT is one of the most emotive & romantic things that Foxx has done in a long time.

The little instrumental interludes remind of a stage play where they play music in between set changes.

Can I choose between Interplay & TSOT no I cant.

I love them both equally.

Brian
Posted By: Alex S Re: The Shape Of Things - 11/18/11 12:35 PM
I've made a John Foxx And The Maths iTunes playlist with both albums on. It flows perfectly
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: The Shape Of Things - 02/28/12 11:12 PM
The Single Disc Edition of The Shape Of Things is now available to pre-order on Amazon...

Rob
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: The Shape Of Things - 03/05/12 06:58 PM
Any news on the live DVD Rob??
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: The Shape Of Things - 03/05/12 11:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Gary Hunter

Hi there Gary,

No, I'm afraid not is the short answer. I do know that it's still being worked on - there was a lot of footage to edit, and then there's the audio to mix. But everyone's been a little 'distracted' with writing new material. Who'd have thought that a follow-up to Interplay would've come so quickly. smile

I'll post more news about the Roundhouse CD/DVD just as soon as I can.

Rob
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 03/20/12 09:38 AM

Here's a summary of thirteen reviews of the new album in various music press:

John Foxx And The Maths - The Shape Of Things

Mojo
'From exultant motorik to giddy Depeche Mode-like synth pop to the macabre 'Talk', The Shape of Things is consistently absorbing, as good as any of Foxx's early-80s benchmarks.' 4/5

BBC.co.uk
'He has never seemed so relevant, nor sounded so modern, as he does in 2012. The Shape Of Things is, by some margin, Foxx's best album since Metamatic.'

Artrocker
'This is a record of utopias and dystopias, perfect synth pop. It's also an entirely human record though: the common theme that emerges is one of corrupted memories: failed relationships are visualised as futures that never came, while even the most robotic of tunes feature traces of blue skies and ocean.'5/5

DMC World
'With such an intense creative zeal at the moment, John Foxx is continuing from strength to strength.' 5/5

Vice Magazine
'By the power of JG Ballard’s Roland Juno standing under an autobahn flyover in Berlin in 1973 in the cold war rain wearing a fedora – it’s a new John Foxx album! Having gone through 360 degree electro rehabilitation recently (with the help of East London analogue synth archivist Ben ‘Benge’ Edwards) Foxx has not only rescued himself from being a footnote of 80s night nostalgia but has re-established himself as a synth pop artist of note and proto hauntologist. More introspective but no less gripping than last year’s great Interplay.' 8/10

FACT Magazine
'The Shape Of Things is rooted in the classic electronic pop tradition but sounds thrillingly contemporary.'

Uncut
'A retro-futurist show of bubbling electronics and dolorous laments.' 7/10

[Record Collector
'There's an aroma of Bowie's seminal Low here, especially on 'Unrecognised' which comes fuelled by techno bubbles, striking synth lines and amournful vocal invoking loss. Another great LP from Foxx.' 4/5

The Arts Desk
'This is an album packed with proper tunes as well as atmosphere. Foxx's vocals might sound as detached as ever, but he also demonstrates an ear for an infectious melody on 'Tides' and the elegant 'Vapour Trails', which catch him slotting neatly into a gap between Gary Numan and David Sylvian. Electronic music, currently enjoying another resurgence, owes him a considerable debt but it also feels eerily like an album very much about the now rather than an album about the past.' 3/5

DIY
'Over 30 years since his first excursions in the field, John Foxx is still at the very top of his game; his collaboration with Benge and The Maths has crystallised all that experience and craft into some particularly special pop music.' 8/10

Classic Rock
'The electronic pioneer shows how it's done. Foxx's talent for melody and lyrics hasn't left him, and songs like the almost folky 'September Town'and the stuttering waltz 'The Shadow Of His Former Self' are in a direct line from 'Europe After The Rain' and 'The Quiet Men.' Anyone tempted byrecent electronic music and who wants to see it done by one of its originators would be well advised to nip by here.' 7/10

Musicomh.com
'Foxx is a man whose creative touch paper has been well and truly lit in the last two years. The Shape Of Things is an incredibly assured piece of work,machine-like in its execution but revealing a soulful, tender exterior that we do not often seen from the former Ultravox man. It suits him well - and on this evidence further rewards will soon follow.' 4/5

Hi-Fi Choice
'The Shape Of Things is full of emotion, intensity and avant-garde twists.' 8/10
Posted By: the church puddle Re: The Shape Of Things - 03/20/12 07:56 PM

Here's a summary of thirteen reviews of the new album in various music press:

John Foxx And The Maths - The Shape Of Things

Mojo
'From exultant motorik to giddy Depeche Mode-like synth pop to the macabre 'Talk', The Shape of Things is consistently absorbing, as good as any of Foxx's early-80s benchmarks.' 4/5

BBC.co.uk
'He has never seemed so relevant, nor sounded so modern, as he does in 2012. The Shape Of Things is, by some margin, Foxx's best album since Metamatic.'

Artrocker
'This is a record of utopias and dystopias, perfect synth pop. It's also an entirely human record though: the common theme that emerges is one of corrupted memories: failed relationships are visualised as futures that never came, while even the most robotic of tunes feature traces of blue skies and ocean.'5/5

DMC World
'With such an intense creative zeal at the moment, John Foxx is continuing from strength to strength.' 5/5

Vice Magazine
'By the power of JG Ballard’s Roland Juno standing under an autobahn flyover in Berlin in 1973 in the cold war rain wearing a fedora – it’s a new John Foxx album! Having gone through 360 degree electro rehabilitation recently (with the help of East London analogue synth archivist Ben ‘Benge’ Edwards) Foxx has not only rescued himself from being a footnote of 80s night nostalgia but has re-established himself as a synth pop artist of note and proto hauntologist. More introspective but no less gripping than last year’s great Interplay.' 8/10

FACT Magazine
'The Shape Of Things is rooted in the classic electronic pop tradition but sounds thrillingly contemporary.'

Uncut
'A retro-futurist show of bubbling electronics and dolorous laments.' 7/10

[Record Collector
'There's an aroma of Bowie's seminal Low here, especially on 'Unrecognised' which comes fuelled by techno bubbles, striking synth lines and amournful vocal invoking loss. Another great LP from Foxx.' 4/5

The Arts Desk
'This is an album packed with proper tunes as well as atmosphere. Foxx's vocals might sound as detached as ever, but he also demonstrates an ear for an infectious melody on 'Tides' and the elegant 'Vapour Trails', which catch him slotting neatly into a gap between Gary Numan and David Sylvian. Electronic music, currently enjoying another resurgence, owes him a considerable debt but it also feels eerily like an album very much about the now rather than an album about the past.' 3/5

DIY
'Over 30 years since his first excursions in the field, John Foxx is still at the very top of his game; his collaboration with Benge and The Maths has crystallised all that experience and craft into some particularly special pop music.' 8/10

Classic Rock
'The electronic pioneer shows how it's done. Foxx's talent for melody and lyrics hasn't left him, and songs like the almost folky 'September Town'and the stuttering waltz 'The Shadow Of His Former Self' are in a direct line from 'Europe After The Rain' and 'The Quiet Men.' Anyone tempted byrecent electronic music and who wants to see it done by one of its originators would be well advised to nip by here.' 7/10

Musicomh.com
'Foxx is a man whose creative touch paper has been well and truly lit in the last two years. The Shape Of Things is an incredibly assured piece of work,machine-like in its execution but revealing a soulful, tender exterior that we do not often seen from the former Ultravox man. It suits him well - and on this evidence further rewards will soon follow.' 4/5

Hi-Fi Choice
'The Shape Of Things is full of emotion, intensity and avant-garde twists.' 8/10

Great stuff Martin, many thanks. Still haven't set any time aside for it yet - maybe this weekend ...
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: The Shape Of Things - 03/26/12 10:24 AM
Thanks for replying Rob.

I'm sure it will be worth the wait, are there any plans for an indepth interview with John about his career being included with the DVD??

By the way Rob give John a kick up the backside, he should be working on a new Maths album, he has set high standards for releasing material!!! :<))

Originally Posted By: Rob Harris
Originally Posted By: Gary Hunter

Hi there Gary,

No, I'm afraid not is the short answer. I do know that it's still being worked on - there was a lot of footage to edit, and then there's the audio to mix. But everyone's been a little 'distracted' with writing new material. Who'd have thought that a follow-up to Interplay would've come so quickly. smile

I'll post more news about the Roundhouse CD/DVD just as soon as I can.

Rob
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 03/31/12 06:10 PM

Johnny Mugwump (Weird tales for Winter / Exotic Pylon) etc raves about The Shape Of Things in the latest FACT Magazine:

http://www.factmag.com/2012/03/31/john-foxx-the-maths-the-shape-of-things/

...an album that says more about the downright f*cking weirdness of city existence than any dancefloor, chillwave or hypnagogic artist you might care to name. An absolute triumph.
Posted By: MikeF Re: The Shape Of Things - 04/14/12 02:55 AM
Just got this album and got excited when I heard "Rear-View Mirror." It reminds of DAF (YouTube links): Als Wär's das Letzte Mal or Alle Gegen Alle. (And everyone knows that DAF is the greatest electronic band ever.)

But it turns out it's pretty varied. I'm about halfway through now. I will post later this weekend once I've had time to digest it.
Posted By: MikeF Re: The Shape Of Things - 04/17/12 02:46 AM
Well, I'm not quite sure what to make of TSOT. Benge's minimal synth work sounds great as usual. However, John's moody, down tempo approach on most songs doesn't really grab me. I haven't listened that closely but I am getting grainy images of a ghostlike Quiet Man wandering the streets observing people but unable to connect to anyone. A lot of the vocals tend to be slow, melancholic dirges. It is certainly a solid work but one that doesn't engage me all that much. It will probably grow on me over time.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: The Shape Of Things - 04/17/12 11:02 AM
I think I said elsewhere too - it is a grower and does take a litle while. And after the dazzle of Interplay, it seemed very hard for The Shape of Things to follow. But it does, and well - it just takes time.

From Talk, followed by the radiophonics of Psytron and the dark moody atmosphere of Unrecognised - those sections are for me where it really starts to blossom.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: The Shape Of Things - 04/17/12 02:55 PM

I love the whole thing, but its definitely a grower and some 'chapters' may work better for you than others

For me, its the middle third, opening with Modreno and closing with Buddwing. Especially Modreno followed by Falling Away is an inspirational pairing
Posted By: the church puddle Re: The Shape Of Things - 04/17/12 06:17 PM
I have played it twice now. After September Town, it is sensational, shades of all times of John's career. Before that, not quite sure yet ...
Posted By: MikeF Re: The Shape Of Things - 04/18/12 12:34 AM
After the brilliant "Interplay," which contains the flawless jewels "Summerland" and "Evergreen," I'm not sure if I really need TSOT. TSOT is not bad but to me it sounds like another day at the office for John and Benge. A lot of the material seems grey and undifferentiated. I doubt this is going to turn into one of my favorites.
Posted By: Herbert the turbot Re: The Shape Of Things - 04/26/12 08:34 AM
I've been meaning for ages to give a proper review of The Shape Of Things but can't seem to get round to it, so just a few observations.

I found this a frustrating album at times, as so many of the songs sound like works in progress that, given time and more varied productions, could be true Foxx classics, but as they stand sound like half-finished demos. Take "Falling Away" for example - an ominous and frazzled verse full of menace and intrigue builds to a point where you're waiting for a big memorable chorus but all you get is John repeating the song title over the same backing as on the verse. (regular readers of my posts may have spotted this is a repeated criticism I have of John's post-1995 songs!).

The short linking instrumental pieces don't do a lot for me either - they just sound like two blokes switching on their analogue synths and noodling around with the first sound they find (which I suppose is what they are!)

That said, it's clear that John and Benge are having a whale of a time in the studio and it's great that John is more prolific than ever at an age when most artists are either retiring or repeating themselves, but on the whole I'd give the album 6 out of 10.
© Metamatic