Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Details of a new double CD version of Metamatic over on John's MySpace page.... wink

great news, although i already have 2 different cd-versions... so this might be a bit like the rumoured metamatica?

This is great news. Any spectulation as to what the bonus tracks will be. Now there's food for thought on a wet dismal bank holiday week end in the UK.
Peter smile

Must admit i dont go to Johns myspace page often, but this is great news. And yes, fingers crossed for it including SOME 'Metamatica'

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for the link Alex.
Here's the text, for those who can't/don't get the myspace page:-

Metamatic this autumn

"We are currently working on a double CD version of the classic 1980 album Metamatic, which will include some previously unheard material, for an autumn 2007 release. John Foxx will also perform the Metamatic album at various shows in the autumn, including a rare festival appearance at Bestival, Isle of Wight, on Friday 7 September. Look out for some more announcements very soon!…"

Excellent news indeed.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Luvly jubbly smile

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Excellent news indeed.
i can only 2nd that ! :-)

it seems that 2007 will be a good year for some further re-releases of john's backcatalogue with interesting new bonus trax on them ! ;-)

Administrator
Administrator
I hope this is a re-mastered original, with all the appropraite analogue sounds reproduced properly?
I'm not a massive fan of the 2001 Edsel version.

The new versions, while EXCELLENT - and I can't wait for the live shows - aren't quite as good as the originals. Someone explained about the new digital repro of those old sounds far better than I can…
They work brilliantly live, but I'm not a huge fan of the versions on "Live From A Room" for instance.

Didn't mean this to sound so negative eek

It's excitng news - roll on September!!!

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I only know the Edsel version of Metamatic and it just sounds great to me. I'd be curious to know what you find disappointing about it, sonically?

Are they obvious differences, or things you need superhuman hearing to pick out? wink

The sound quality on the edsel versions is a lot better than the early 'metamatic' and 'the garden' cds Alex, but not by too much compared to some bands 'remastered' albums. But the original 'metamatic' cd had a track called 'young love' as a bonus track. Other slight problems with the edsel discs is the bonus tracks are of an higher sound volume than the album tracks, and some are lower. The artwork on the edsels are IMO improved though.

C
C
A dream come true!

I can´t wait to listen to Like A Miracle, Young Love and A New Kind Of Man (single version)all on one CD.

Chris C laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
The sound quality on the edsel versions is a lot better than the early 'metamatic' and 'the garden' cds Alex, but not by too much compared to some bands 'remastered' albums. But the original 'metamatic' cd had a track called 'young love' as a bonus track. Other slight problems with the edsel discs is the bonus tracks are of an higher sound volume than the album tracks, and some are lower. The artwork on the edsels are IMO improved though.
'Young Love' has GOT to be reinstated on this new version of Metamatic. A fabulous track - sorely missed on the Edsel re-issue!

Getting a busy year for Mr Foxx!

Sarah B laugh

Shifting City
The Pleasures Of Electricity
The Collaboration with Robin Guthrie
and now Metamatic

Seems I have to order some extra money for my trips to UK in September and November...

If John goes on with his (re-)releases, 2007 will be a year with more releases than 2006...(Perhaps) laugh

Great news!! smile

Andreas

Looks like there is a Metamatic show planned for 27 July in London, according to John's MySpace page.

Andreas, you are so right about spending money! If the July show goes ahead, that will be 3 trips and stays in London for me this year, as I simply can't miss seeing John perform!

Can't make the Isle of Wight though frown

Sarah B laugh

Administrator
Administrator
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris C:
A dream come true!

I can´t wait to listen to Like A Miracle, Young Love and A New Kind Of Man (single version)all on one CD.

Do you know something we don't about this tracklisting then Chris eek ?

C
C
No insider knowledge but it´s highly likely that these 3 tracks will feature in the double CD.

Young Love has already been released and Rob ( and John) have mentioned in the past the existence of 1979 recordings of Like A Miracle and A New Kind Of Man. cool

The rest is a surprise. I won´t start talking about The Bed Soundtrack.... :p

Chris C wink

is "like a miracle" so old track? that's news to me.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sarah Bradshaw:
Looks like there is a Metamatic show planned for 27 July in London, according to John's MySpace page.

Andreas, you are so right about spending money! If the July show goes ahead, that will be 3 trips and stays in London for me this year, as I simply can't miss seeing John perform!

Can't make the Isle of Wight though frown

Sarah B laugh
[/QUOTE

Sorry to quote myself, but I've just been to John's MySpace page and the date of 27 July has now been removed and replaced by 7 September!

False alarm!

Sarah B laugh

Seems like there is conflicting information on Myspace. Its says Sept 7th London. Can't be bad as Johns appearing in the Bestival on the IOW the same night.

As for the bonus tracks on the new double CD it would be nice to have original copies of Bed Flight/fight as some of the bonus tracks.
Peter

N
N
The 1993 Metamatic re-issue has Young Love on it as part of the 6 extra tracks. (CDV2146)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Bradshaw:
I've just been to John's MySpace page and the date of 27 July has now been removed and replaced by 7 September!

False alarm!

Sarah B laugh
Yes its best not get too excited for the release date, as long as its still this year then its fine. Same for the tracklist really. Im hopeing for some of the rare ones we already know, and some we dont. But as for the complete bed soundtrack i thnik its unlikely. My advice, dont expect every track from the 'Metamatic era' on just two discs. One things for sure it will be better than the one disc versions. smile

but hopefully all the relevant tracks will be included, unlike the last time... i still don't understand why 'young love' was dropped from the previous reissue.

Administrator
Administrator
Maybe because its already on the 1993 version?
Some things need to stay as rarities, I think.

Edsel isn't a re-master, is it, I don't think?
So this track, which sounds so 'different' isn't generally considered ot be part of the Metamatic set?

I dunno - speculation of course

Quote:
maybe some things that aren't as essential as 'young love'... but now i have to have 2 different versions while there would have been space on the edsel edition. not a big problem really since i'm a collector but still slightly annoying.

not sure about this remaster thing, are any of the reissues remastered?

I think the edsel re-issued cds are Not remasters, but just better quality due to being manufactured more recently. This would explain why there not as high in quality as other bands remasters. The best sound of early solo tracks so far is the 'Modern Art' which is remastered.

N
N
Assembly (CDVM9002) is a remastered collection.

On the cover..................

"18 Tracks - covering the solo career of John Foxx from 1979 to 1985 selected from "Metamatic", "The Golden Section" & "In Mysterious Ways". Remaster for CD by John Foxx.

Quote:
Originally posted by nap-ster:
[QB] Assembly (CDVM9002) is a remastered collection.
I know and agree, but the best sound so far is the 'Modern Art' remaster due to its higher sampled bit rate, or just better manufaturing in general. Just like the difference between the virgin and edsel albums. Its also been said that the Mini Foxx cd albums from Japan are of greater qaulity than the British releases, but these still do not surpass Modern Art.

Administrator
Administrator
[QUOTE]Originally posted by psychocandy:
... but now i have to have 2 different versions while there would have been space on the edsel edition. not a big problem really since i'm a collector but still slightly annoying.

A fair point, but…

There is no confirmation that the song will appear this time round anyway

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
There's no confirmation of anything at the moment, other than the CD is going to happen!

Personally I would like to see (or hear?!) the addition of Young Love and I'm hoping for new tracks never before released or leaked.

The early version of New Kind of Man would also be good, as it's really great.

If the extra tracks turn out to be from the Bed Soundtrack and those "jingles" he composed, then I'll be very disappointed!!

What would be truly amazing is if John went back to the multitracks as a source for the new Metamatic CD. If you listen carefully on the Edsel release there are a number of noticeable 'drop outs' caused by tape damage/storage.

I guess the 2 channel master tape is suffering a bit. I'm assuming it was baked and digitized and then remastered for the Edsel release since I don't think the tape will survive many more, if any, playbacks.

Genesis, for example, recently re-issued a batch of their albums by going back to the multitracks. The result is stunningly good sonics. Believe me, the sound quality improvement is amazing.

Dave.

A 2CD edition of Metamatic! I can't wait!

I've mentioned it on here before; there's definitely tape drop-out on 'Young Love'.

Message to Rob; are you restoring the artwork? After the Island re-issues I hope so!

So apart from better sound quality, what do we want from the new edition? What additional tracks would you like to see on there? Here's a list of what we officially know of - can anyone add to it?

Plaza
He's a Liquid
Underpass
Metal Beat
No-One Driving
A New Kind of Man
Blurred Girl
Tidal Wave
Touch and Go

Additional Tracks:

Young Love
Film One
No-One Driving (7" mix)
Glimmer
This City
Mr No
Burning Car
20th Century

The recent 'Architecture and Morality' came with a DVD which included the Drury Lane performance and 3 videos - I hope we get some of the videos with this 'Metamatic' re-issue.

F
F
Quote:
I think the edsel re-issued cds are Not remasters, but just better quality due to being manufactured more recently. This would explain why there not as high in quality as other bands remasters.
Sorry but that's brainwRong!
If they're pressed from the same digital master file they'd be ... the same - more recent manufacturing won't make it sound any different.

F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave R:
What would be truly amazing is if John went back to the multitracks as a source for the new Metamatic CD. If you listen carefully on the Edsel release there are a number of noticeable 'drop outs' caused by tape damage/storage.

I guess the 2 channel master tape is suffering a bit. I'm assuming it was baked and digitized and then remastered for the Edsel release since I don't think the tape will survive many more, if any, playbacks.

Genesis, for example, recently re-issued a batch of their albums by going back to the multitracks. The result is stunningly good sonics. Believe me, the sound quality improvement is amazing.

Dave.
I wouldn't like to hear new stereo mixes, that would just be ridiculous sacrelige!!
A new 5.1 mix from the original multitracks would be a nice bonus though.... mind you, since it was only an 8-track recording to begin with, there's not that many different parts to play with!

H Offline
Bring it on!!!!!!!!!

I have not heard any of the stuff referred to in the other messages.

Looks like I am buying some more CD's!

My 9 year old will be looking forward to getting my old copy of Metamatic though!

H

Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
Quote:
[b] I think the edsel re-issued cds are Not remasters, but just better quality due to being manufactured more recently. This would explain why there not as high in quality as other bands remasters.
Sorry but that's brainwRong!
If they're pressed from the same digital master file they'd be ... the same - more recent manufacturing won't make it sound any different. [/b]
I can see your point F1, but i was thinking in terms that manufactures are improving the qaulity of there aluminum
and plastics at pressing plants constantly to improve the sound captured from the same digital masters from any bands out put.

Secondly, the edsel discs do not state being remastered (which would have been a good selling point if they had been), but the sound qaulity is better.

F
F
wink i think you need to do a little web-reading on how CDs work! ANY disc has thousands of "errors" on it, but the CD player basically manages to "correct" them when it reads the disc... if there's too many, you just get digital hash or skipping - below that threshold, it sounds the same. It's not like an analogue format where you get progressive worse.
So, in short, "improvements" in the physical disc manufacture won't make a blind bit of difference - either the disc plays or it doesn't.

A lot of modern "mastering" of discs is dreadful anyways - they put ridiculous multiband compression on things to make them "louder", ruining the dynamics of the original.

Quote:
[QB] wink i think you need to do a little web-reading on how CDs work!
'A little web-reading' laugh

I read a pile of books over 9ft tall just to pass my early exams on the way to becoming an IT and Digital Media Professional. The cd player component your referring to is known as the 'correction circuit'. Yes if theres too many errors it simple will not play, BUT they do still play if made with bad qaulity aluminum and few errors. But it still plays with the laser refracted back rather than a clear reflection, hence the sound change even though it plays.
Think of it as like the difference between good and bad qaulity mirrors, you get a change in the image, but its still there.

Sadly, i agree with you about the multiband 'whatever thingy whats it' laugh wink

F
F
Quote:
But it still plays with the laser refracted back rather than a clear reflection, hence the sound change even though it plays.
Well pardon me if I'm misunderstanding you (I only have an MSc in Music Technology, myself ;-) but you sound very much like you're under the misapprehension that there's a nice analogue relationship between the laser coming back and the sound output, like the way a needle reads a vinyl groove.

As you should be aware, CD's a binary digital medium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc#Data_structure
The laser is either decoded as a 1 or a 0... provided there's no uncorrectable errors for a frame, it doesn't matter how dodgy the laser was, the PCM data is still reconstructed perfectly. If the media is so borderline that you're getting tons of uncorrectable errors (C2) then you'll start hearing skipping, glitching and the like - *not* a *subtle* "oh, this version of the CD sounds somehow better than the other one".
Anyway, pressing plants always QA checked things for those kind of errors.

I do recall doing an A/B test of the Virgin Metamatic CD with the Edsel one at the time, and seem to recall they did sound subtley different - this might suggest they were pressed from different digital transfers of the original analogue stereo master tape... certainly there'd been no drastic re-EQing or dynamics processing applied to them, which is probably a good thing!

The original vinyl Metamatic would of course have been mastered with an appropriate vinyl-EQ curve, to stop the needle jumping out of groove when the moog basses and CR78 bass drums kicked smile
As I'm sure many folk know, many CDs in the 80s were pressed from these vinyl cutting masters, with their attendant bass rolloff etc, and were digitized using wick A/D convertors,
and so sounded pants.
Conceivably, both the Virgin and Edsel CDs coulda been produced this way, but I doubt it...

Quote:
Well pardon me if I'm misunderstanding you (I only have an MSc in Music Technology, myself ;-)
I know F1, thats why i/we have always valued your opinions on the more techy subjects at the Foxx threads at EV. It was as you said though, me being misunderstood.

Yes it could well be just different master tapes used in the virgin and edsel cds, so if we use this as common ground to agree in part, it should save the 'double metamatic cd' thread from being accidently hijacked.

F
F
well, it's a fairly pertinent subject - if we're being offered to the chance to buy Metamatic a 4th time (vinyl, and 3 CD issues), it's good to know what the differences are!

Thanks F1 and Newvox. The link above makes interesting reading even if some of the more technical side of CD's and vinyl baffles me.
Peter

Quote:
No no no. Compared to the number of Britney Spears CDs out there, any John Foxx release is already a rarity, with the majority of copies being sold to a small and devoted fan base. Keeping songs off reissues on the grounds that some things need to stay rarities means screwing a fair number of that small devoted fan base.

If we're supposed to buy the same album yet again, make it a definitive version instead of just the fourth or fifth in an endless sequence of marginally different reissues.

Of course not a new stereo mix, I totally agree. The only reason to go back to the multitracks is to significantly improve the sonics and, of course, lose those nasty tape dropouts from the now knackered 2 channel master.
With care the original mix can be perfectly preserved.

Dave.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave R:
[b] What would be truly amazing is if John went back to the multitracks as a source for the new Metamatic CD. If you listen carefully on the Edsel release there are a number of noticeable 'drop outs' caused by tape damage/storage.

Dave.
I wouldn't like to hear new stereo mixes, that would just be ridiculous sacrelige!!
A new 5.1 mix from the original multitracks would be a nice bonus though.... mind you, since it was only an 8-track recording to begin with, there's not that many different parts to play with! [/b]

H
H
I may be on my own here but I fail to see the point of yet another Metamatic reissue. Metamatic is a classic ten track album - to add bonus tracks and demos that aren't up to the high standard of the album itself just weakens the whole package and destorys the continuity of listening to the album all the way from "Plaza" through to "Touch And Go". There's that many "completists" on here that I find it hard to believe John has a CD's worth of unreleased tracks of sufficient quality to add to the album that we don't already know about.

Despite not having any musical qualifications, I know a fair bit about the mastering process and to be honest I think it's a bit of a con bringing out new "remastered" editions of classic albums. All mastering tends to do is make the music a little bit louder and perhaps cut down on a bit of background hiss, but it doesn't make the songs any better. Have you ever taken a CD back to the shop because it wasn't quite as loud as others in your collection, or because there was a slight hum at the end of one of the songs?

Wouldn't it be great to buy an album once and then never have to buy it again?

Administrator
Administrator
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:

Now THAT is a good point well made.

I've just bought a new turntable, and my 28yr old Metamatic on thick vinyl sounds absolutely superb.

Quote:
Metamatic is a classic ten track album - to add bonus tracks and demos that aren't up to the high standard of the album itself just weakens the whole package and destorys the continuity of listening to the album all the way from "Plaza" through to "Touch And Go".
Maybe the compromise would be to release the double cd as 'Metamatic' ten tracks on disc one, and the second disc of extras for people who want it. As i too sometimes want to play just the album, but at the same time know ive played the whole cd.

I doubt all the tracks from 'metamatic' era have the quality to be on a difinitive release as suggested by Steve, but lets have as many as possible this time round and STILL make it the final re issue. Same goes for the other early solo albums if there to be made too.

Quote:
...Metamatic is a classic ten track album - to add bonus tracks and demos that aren't up to the high standard of the album itself just weakens the whole package and destorys the continuity of listening to the album all the way from "Plaza" through to "Touch And Go". ..

I agree and disagree - these things are never easy are they? What it will come down to is if the label it's on does the whole thing properly.

The deluxe 2CD re-issue of Siouxsie & The Banshees 'The Scream' is a good example; the album as originally intended on CD1, and all the rarities, peel sessions etc on CD2.

Having said that, the recent Ultravox! remasters on Island had all the tracks on 1CD - and owning them was the only way I was going to get to hear the non-album track such as "Quirks" and the alternate of "Hiroshima Mon Amour".

I'm hoping that the definitive edition of Metamatic will have a track-list 'to die for'...until the next re-issue at least! wink

I'm now wondering what The Garden re-issue will have.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
to have a double-VINYL-album of such a classic like "metamatic" would be jus' ace for me ! ;-)

however ... maybe in the end this double-cd-album of "metamatic" might be similar in style like "the hidden man" & the "sideways" double-cd-albums were before !? ;-o

Yeah, I reckon there will be an interview on it - seems to like that does our John.

T
T
I think the Edsel release was close to definitive, with regards to sleevenotes and lyrics and the related B sides. However, I am sure the rarities such as they will be will sell better on the back of the actual album itself. The early version of Like a Miracle, if it appears, would be worth the price alone for me (I would hope). Another idea would be to have the relevant videos on a bonus DVD (Underpass, No-One Driving, and He's a Liquid), but don't suppose that's very likely.

H
H
Actually, I wonder if the second disc might be "Metamatic 2007" - ie the whole album rerecorded by John and Louis in their contemporary style. We know they're working on the album for the live shows - can it be coincidence that the Metamatic reissue is planned for this Autumn, shortly after the concerts?

H
H
I have a dim and possible fallacious memory of a Smash Hits news article, I think around the time of 'Miles Away' which said that JF had something like thirty completed but unreleased tracks. I wonder how many of these could be considered 'Metamatic'-era songs? Are we basically going to see what was originally intended to be the 'Metamatica' CD?

I hope it isn't going to be a 'Metamatic 2007' remake job. I don't really see the point in that.

If the second disc was 'Metamatic 2007' it would also make the next live album pointless, due to the sound being very similar.
I also recall text and audio interviews were John states always having extra songs for albums. But i think for some reason 'Metamatic' has the most.

The amount of Metamatic era songs on Live from a room would make a Metamatic 2007 pretty pointless.
The fact that John has said,all be it a long time ago,that he had plenty of songs left over(as stated,possibly the much lauded Metamatica)
would make more sense to release.
As for the point that Metamatic is a 'classic' 10 track album,then why not just take the 10 tracks and burn them to a crd yourself if the other tracks piss you off,keep them for a seperate cdr of your own!!
Myself,I'd be happy to have the b-sides and some other unreleased tracks along side

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
As for the point that Metamatic is a 'classic' 10 track album,then why not just take the 10 tracks and burn them to a crd yourself if the other tracks piss you off,keep them for a seperate cdr of your own!!
Yeah i did that Will, thats why i suggested it as a compromise to Herbert for this reissue. Personally i love the extra tracks and the rare ones from boots, so i think this needs to be the definitive release and use as much space on both discs.

C
C
There could even be promos distributed!

I´d go for the following. Based on my own assumptions of course.

OK Metamatic (2CD) promo:

Young Love
A New Kind of Man (7" version)
Underpass
Blurred Girl
No-one Driving
This City
Miles Away
Fusion Fission (1979 version)
Like a Miracle (1979 version)
Piano Piece (from The Bed Soundtrack)
Touch and Go
Touch and Go (strings)(from The Bed Soundtrack)

Chris C wink
PS Off to bed!

C
C
Ouch! Forgot Burning Car. OK revised promo:

Young Love
A New Kind of Man (7" version)
Underpass
Burning Car
No-one Driving
This City
Miles Away
Fusion Fission (1979 version)
Blurred Girl
Like a Miracle (1979 version)
Piano Piece (from The Bed Soundtrack)
Touch and Go

That was fun!
Chris C wink

I would be very thankful for every "new" rare stuff on this CD. So far I had understood it, John will release exact this - unreleased material.

A re- worked Metamatic CD with Louis would make no sense, 'cause the most of the stuff is on A room as big...

I cannot imagine John & Louis will recording it again. But it would be nice to have the other Metamatic tracks on a new CD in the type recorded style as A room as big... and Exotour...( together with Walk Away, The Man who Dies Every Day and Slow Motion!) wink

This would be on my wish list for Christmas...

C
C
Hope John fills much of the 2 CDs of 80 mins each!!!

Chris C laugh

F
F
I don't really buy this argument about "spoiling the integrity of the album" etc -

just press STOP on your CD player when it gets to the end of Touch And Go if you don't want to hear any more B-sides!
And if you don't want any B-sides at all, don't buy the new CD! Just keep listening to the old one.
Easy smile

Quote:
just press STOP on your CD player when it gets to the end of Touch And Go if you don't want to hear any more B-sides!
And if you don't want any B-sides at all, don't buy the new CD! Just keep listening to the old one.
Easy smile
Exact my opinion,too! wink

H
H
So, the release date is now confirmed as 3rd September.
Wonder if there'll be a slightly more high profile advertising campaign for this one; if ever John wanted to bring his music to a wider, younger audience, surely this would be the ideal opportunity?

How long before the 'pre-sale' by Amazon etc. etc.? .. or pre-order or whatever you call it.

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
if ever John wanted to bring his music to a wider, younger audience, surely this would be the ideal opportunity?
I would have thought so as well.

I have gone on (and on and on...) about this before but LET'S HAVE A SINGLE!!!
Go on, I dare you.

This is THE album that non-Foxx fans will relate to and seems (to me at least) a golden opportunity to bring his work back into the spotlight.
I know that's not the point of it, and with John moving into 'other media' it isn't something that may seem to have much future, but if it can be tied in with a new demand for backcat and existing material, then there is still commission on sales to consider which might make a few bob.
John has never been a 'commercial' artist in that sense, but he holds all the arrows now and could, I think, call the shots in terms of marketing, PR and all that.

So...

Is this the time for a single?
How about A New Kind Of Man, at last, as a lead track, carrying Underpass and maybe a new remixxed/21st century John and Louis version of something else.
Or a kick-ass version of Burning Car, with Underpass/No-one Driving in their original format?

Heaven forbid, it might even get, dare I say it (cough) airtime??

See - I said I could go on about it. laugh

7" vinyl is a trendy new format.
Lead the way John, you always have before.
I don't think this would be a step backwards at all cool

I just can’t see him retiring from live work just yet –or maybe I just don’t want him too! Although considering the activity of the last year or so, he could probably do with a holiday!

According to the MySpace site, the entire back catalogue is being re-issued, he’s releasing a series of new electronic albums, there’s the collaborations with Vincent Gallo, Robin Guthrie and Perspects (?) – so perhaps he could do with some time off!

Wouldn’t want him to give up performing completely though – perhaps one-off events every now and then would be the thing to do.

It would be great to have a single out there Martin, but wasn’t that what the Drive EP was? As much as I’d love to own a new shiny disc of Foxx vinyl, I still believe the best way of reaching a new audience would be through downloads (itunes) etc.

The itunes edition of the Chemical Brothers new album features 2 tracks only available via itunes – a marketing trick like this would be simple and effective on say, a Foxx EP only available via download.

I agree with you Martin. Lets have a single and I like your choices of classic John Foxx tracks on it.

If heaven forbid what tracks would be chosen if a 7" vinyl single was to be released. Both new and old versions of Underpass??/ eek

Not a lover of getting something off of iTunes. I love to hold music in my hands, that is a real CD/vinyl with a real case/cover. I'm just old fashioned I guess. cool

Peter

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
The itunes edition of the Chemical Brothers new album features 2 tracks only available via itunes – a marketing trick like this would be simple and effective on say, a Foxx EP only available via download.
fyi : that special ( limited ? ) edition of "we are the night" by the chemical brothers is also available as a japan import cd ( http://www.discogs.com/release/1003462 ) ! :-)

anyway ... i like martin's idea of a single as much as garry's idea of an exclusive download edition ... but would combine them like this :
a double-7" vinyl single as a "special collectors edition" with 4 trax on it , which will also be available as a download item via itunes & the likes then - but NO inferior cd release ! ;-)
so all of us good ol' fashioned vinyl freax will get a "real" format with great cover artwork etc. for our record collections ... & john's new fans can get the stuff as a download too ! :-)

btw : my selection of 4 "metamatic" ( era ) songs would be a bit different , as i would like to have the usual hits "underpass" & "burning car" backed with "plaza" & "metal beat" maybe ! ;-)

All I’m saying is, considering the activity over the next few months; Back Catalogue / New Catalogue / Festivals and live shows, I just think that for reaching a new audience then downloads is probably the fastest, easiest way to do it.

It’s not unknown for people to download songs or even entire albums whilst actually at a festival / gig – watching the band they’re downloading! The White Stripes know – despite their love of vinyl and making their entire output available on vinyl, most of their fans chose to download the album, and Apple noted surges in White Stripes downloads coincided with the time of their live performances. I’m not saying I agree with this*, I just point this out because John’s Bestival appearance could help considerably towards making more people aware of his music. Any newcomer impressed by what they’ve seen may want to download the originals there and then – it would be good for John if the opportunity was there for them to do so.

Garry

*I was at the Musee d’Orsay last year, getting lost among works by Chagall, Monet and Van Gogh. A sea of school children went by ‘Starry Night’– each of them took a photo of it on their mobile phones and carried on walking past, not stopping to look at the painting itself. I’ve never understood this, I never will.

Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
Not a lover of getting something off of iTunes. I love to hold music in my hands, that is a real CD/vinyl with a real case/cover. I'm just old fashioned I guess. cool

Peter
Me too! laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:
anyway ... i like martin's idea of a single as much as garry's idea of an exclusive download edition ... but would combine them like this :
a double-7" vinyl single as a "special collectors edition" with 4 trax on it , which will also be available as a download item via itunes & the likes then - but NO inferior cd release ! ;-)
so all of us good ol' fashioned vinyl freax will get a "real" format with great cover artwork etc. for our record collections ... & john's new fans can get the stuff as a download too ! :-)
A nice idea Olaf! smile

H
H
If he REALLY wants to attract attention, how about John puts out a single version of "Underpass" rewritten as "Underpants" using the lyrics Mrs X and I conjured up on the EV forum a few years back....

"Standing in the shop
Stroking my thighs
Lifting up the Y-fronts
Nothing in my size

Underpants!
Underpants!

Well, I used to wear boxers
Now they're all worn
Wasn't it some...thing...
They warmed somebody's bum

Underpants!
Underpants!

Scouring through the britches
I think I like those
They're comfy at the same...time...
Leg, leg, bum

Underpants!
Underpants!

Snuggly on my ass now
Crumpled on the floor
They'll last for years...now...
Leg, leg, bum
Leg, leg, bum
Leg, leg, bum
Leg, leg, bum
Leg, leg...

Underpants!
Underpants!
Underpants!
Underpants!

(repeat to fade)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
*rotflol*

what a fantastic idea , herbert ! *hehehe*

:-)

D
D
Nice work Mr Turbot!

Don't forget the Omnidelic version: Overpants...

eek Now thats the extended version!!

GREAT! laugh laugh laugh

You made my evening guys! (He, He ,He)... laugh laugh

G
Gem Offline
G
I'll never be able to listen to 'Underpass' in the same way again...Why does it not surprise me that Mrs X was involved in composing the alternative version? wink

Oh yeah, first post - hi everyone smile . What a topic to start with...

Hi Gem welcome smile

Ive been listening to it as 'Underpants' for years, ever since my little brother used to shout along to the chorus. wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
howdy gem ! smile

i think that i already know u ( briefly ) from "somewhere else" ! ;-)

a big hello & welcome to u , anyway ! :-)

Hi Gem!

Welcome here. smile

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
BWAAAAAA!!!!!

Those underpants lyrics are hilarious!! laugh

I remember singing "Underpants" rather than Underpass, when it first came out.

I WAS still at school at the time..

Dave Lee Travis (aka DLT) on Radio One used to call it "Underpants" too wink

Somewhere I think I may have a tape of it - assuming it'll still play after 27 1/2 years....

Hi Gem!

Yes, I had the song on in my car, giving a colleague a lift home one day, and what did she say??? Yep, you've guessed it "oh, we used to sing 'underpants' to this one - turn it up". So I did. And she sang 'underpants' at every available opportunity!

Fantastic!

Sarah laugh

I think we ALL did laugh

Well actually for two whole years i thought I was the only person in the known universe who listened to and appreciated Underpass and it wasn't til I got to university in 1982 that when I was talking about music tastes to some guy he said "oh yeah John Foxx..UNDERPANTS"! The spell was broken. frown

My God... It's been a long time since I've read the "Underpants" lyrics! I think Herbert and I did a great job! laugh LMAO!!!

Oh yes... Welcome Gem! Didn't realise you were on here! (Sorry, I know I should post more often than I do...)

By the way...love the oversized underpants photo!!

Mrs. X

Just got an e-mail from Townsend Records, regarding this double CD. They are accepting pre-orders now, for £8.99..

G
Gem Offline
G
Thanks (somewhat belatedly, sorry!) for the welcome, everyone! And yes, SF Metamatrix, I believe we have met before in another place wink .

I wish I could find the lyrics someone suggested for 'I Want To Steal Your Ice Cream' (guess where that came from). Brilliance... laugh

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.