Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I was listening to Jean Michel Jarre's Aero album recently and although it's taken a while, I came to realise that several of the versions of songs on that album - particularly "Oxygene 2" are - at least for me - superior to the original versions.

This got me thinking about John's various re-workings and I have to say I do prefer some of the new versions to the originals.

Metal Beat (from Live from a Room)
Without causing controversy, I have to say I think this version really brings the already superb original bang up to date. The bass line in particular adds a lot to the song and I feel overall it has more depth, and it's lass 'clanky' than the original. It emphasises the kind of "funk" element which I really like.

Overpass/This City (From Exotour)
These were more like alternative versions than updates, but I absolutely love these versions, in particular the way they connect together. They keep the mood of each ot he original tracks yet offer something new.

Dislocation (from Exotour)
I think it's the music and production style that makes this one slightly better than the original.

Nightlife (from Live from a Room)
I like this in a different way to the original. The extra verse and change of arrangement half way through reallly take it into another dimension. This reminds me so much of John's gig at Sheffield Leadmill; the night, the people; the whole event. For me it sums up that gig. It seems it was really written to be performed in clubs.

Touch & Go (from Live from a Room)
Again, like with Nightlife, the new verse at the end really adds something extra, and it feels like the song finally has more of a proper ending.

Shifting City (from Exotour)
Don't think I need to say why! Though it would be interesting to hear if anybody prefers the album original.

Endlessly (from Exotour)
This more dance oriented arrangement proves the staying power of the song. I think it's what it needed.

My Sex (from Live from a Room)
Don't think I need to go into any more detail!

Those are probably the ones that do it for me. For the rest I don't find them so different. I like the Exotour versions of the Shifting City tracks but I think that's because of the superior production. I prefer the arrangements of the originals ("An Ocean..." "The Noise" etc) but I think the sound quality lets them down - so I'm really looking forward to hearing them remastered.

Anyway, over to you....

Administrator
Administrator
Good topic Alex

But it will stir up some debate for sure!
Personally, I think it's the word "better" that I would disagree with.
Many of the songs have 'evolved' and the new versions are really developments of an idea or re-working for a different time and audience.
To say one is better than the other is purely conjecture.

IMHO though, none of the Ultravox material reworked by John and Louis is a patch on the original.

I think a version arranged for live performance needs to be different from the album/studio sound and is listened to by the audience in a different way.

But to answer your question (I am very rambly lately - what's that all about??)
The live version of Burning Car on the Exotour is my favourite

Perhaps we could have a favourite live version thread?
Shifting City is the best Live song they do - it never goes on long enough!

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Well for the sake of a subject line, I suppose it gets to the point! wink

But yes, I agree it's more like an evolution. And in some cases - as with the Oxygene example I gave - a new recording has enabled the artist to explore a song's full potential. So while the original version is always (perhaps) the definitive - and in most cases somebody's favourite, simply because they've known it so long – new versions often allow the artist to do more with the song and perhaps perform the song better technically or fully realise the original idea.

It would be interesting to know if there are any songs that John doesn't feel "happy" with retrospectively... which bits could be improved etc.

Nice topic Alex and I deliberately decided not to post straight away as I wanted to think on this topic.

My Sex, the original version from Systems Of Romance still stands out the best version as I fell in love with this song on first hearing.

On Dislocation again I have to disagree with you Alex I like the Systems version best but I guess I'm being sentimental.

I do agree with you Alex about Shifting City. The Exotour version is superior.

I love the way that John and Louis have updated some songs and did a fantastic job doing so. For me as well the Exotour Burning car track is outstanding. I tend to take each track on it's own merits and generally like both new and old and very happy to listen to either. I know the new versions are more "lively"

Peter smile

Great topic!!

Have to agree with Martins 'rambly' thoughts though, nothing reworked from John and Louis comes close to the original Ultravox! recordings, or Johns solo ones IMO.

The only song i ever liked better than the original was the live versions of 'Hiroshima Mon Amour' from the Ultravox! shows in '79, boston and philly especially.

If were not talking 'better' but 'evolving', then Underpass from 'Live From A Room' is my all time favourite rework. Having said that, its not evolved so much as the version on 'Exotour' which i did not like so much. To me this proves the originals are always the best.

I think the reworks help to keep things interesting though, as no-one would want to listen to thirty years of everything sounding like the originals.

T
T
I would suggest that "Your Kisses Burn V2" and "Through My Sleeping" are superior to their counterparts on the Nation 12 album, although I generally consider originals as definitive. Mind you, I consider "Through My Sleeping" (Shifting City version) to be the original.

Administrator
Administrator
I couldn't agree less!
Your Kisss Burn has lost its way somewhere between Electrofear and From Trash in my opinion. I find the latter version extremely disappointing compared with the original.
Having said that, one of the initial reactions I had to hearing this song first time was "Ok, for a not-quite-finished song that works really well, I'd like to hear a definitve version." And then I did, on From Trash, and it was just all wrong!

Hey ho smile

Different opinions made for such good debate...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmm!

I really like the new version of "Your Kisses Burn"! I loved it when I heard the original but in comparison, it's nothing more than a rough demo with a cheesey pop melody.

I think had he reworked it in the same style it would have just sounded dated. I thought the darker, slower version was an interesting alternative and fitted much better on the album. That's my taste/opinion anyway!

Disclaimer: The following are MY opinions only.
Everyone has a right to an opinion, and indeed a right to be wrong.

Your Kisses Burn V2
I didn't realise that this track on LFAR wasn't the original.. In retrospect, the V2 should have given me a clue...
Anyway, I really like the new track.

My Sex
The new version is excellent. I was never keen on most of the original Ultravox stuff. The exceptions being Slow Motion, Quiet Men, and Hiroshima. RockWrok sucks.

Metal Beat.
Love the LFAR version. Particularly the new "sleazy" bit near the end.

Sex Video.
The LFAR version rocks, big time. It's far better than the original..

Underpass.
Sorry, it's blasphemy to mess with UnderPass. Although I quite like the result, the original still stands as the best Foxx track ever.

H
H
I tend to find that the new versions initially seem better but over time I find myself gravitating back to the original "Classic" versions.
Of John's reworkings, I'd have to say "Overpass/ This City" and "Burning Car" are the best. Some of the reworkings aren't really that reworked anyway - the versions of the Metamatic tracks on LFAR are so similar to the original that it sounds like some of the melody lines have been sampled from the Metamatic master tapes.

I also think the original 1982 version of Endlessly is vastly superior to both the Golden Section and Exotour verisons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.