Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 27 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 26 27
#37709 11/26/07 10:36 PM
F
F
First one smile
More to follow

#37710 11/27/07 12:33 AM
N
N
Big thank you for the videos. Just got to watch them (talktalk broadband a bit rubbish for streaming youtube). Especially like the smile from John in Europe After the Rain as the crowd join in the verse.

#37711 11/27/07 12:34 AM
Thanks for sharing. smile

#37712 11/27/07 12:49 AM
T
T
You can use the firefoxx plugin - videodownloader to save and play the y outube vids offline with a player like vlc player.
Good for repeat playing

#37713 11/27/07 01:43 AM
T
T
It began with a frost sharper than cheekbones. This, along with the yellow tint from the windows of First Great Western’s 8:55 to Paddington, brought to mind images of long-gone Christmasses that didn’t exist. We were talking about this. I associate Bob Dylan with Christmas, or, rather, the mid-winter that surrounds it. Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, and Modern Times: all Christmas. John Foxx? Not chilly enough. Even Metamatic, with its icy synths, and The Pleasures of Electricity (THE soundtrack to February 2002): there is just too much WARMTH there. I think someone said the latter was a dark record. Well, it is, but the city is fully lit. I should go to London more often. By half 12 I was in the Black Lion, pint in hand, notebook spilling with lyrics for abandoned songs of the future, reading of My Bloody Valentine’s return, and listening to the fabulous In Rainbows (Radiohead), of all things, playing in the pub.

People arrived. Warmth. Peter, Andreas, Michaela, Craig. Meeting Richard for the first time. Then Sarah and Tess and Mr No and Gem, Rob of course, Natalie, and numerous others. Great to see you all! After a brief long queue, and discussions of bespoke gentlemen’s undergarments, we were inside. What a great venue! Friendly, cosy, and intolerant of talking while bands are on. Perfect! Both sets were brilliant, the latter better but only by several pints. I have just checked my submission of 5 tracks: none were played – I guess I’ll just have to form a tribute band. And yet, I could swear I’d actually voted for Swimmer 2, Europe After the Rain, Dancing Like a Gun, Camera, The One Who Walks Through You, Miles Away and Neuro Video. And the old favourite Making Movies, one of the best B sides ever, did I detect a sneer in John's voice? John talking to himself? “YOU’RE always making movies, that’s really what YOU do” whereas I’M a musician and singer and I like making electronic noise with my young apprentice, Louis Gordon. Thanks to all who organised this event.

The morning came and almost went, Tom Waits no cure for a hangover. Seasick sailing on sunshine. Only fresh air, mineral water, and getting lost in the so clearly shifting capital city can do that. Building work and decay. The weight of organisation and chaos, the structures of civilisation and history. Ten thousand ways. Why only ten thousand if there are a million cars? The lyric intrigues but is somehow true. Morning Glory (one of my votes) was Hyde Park’s earworm. Everybody’s Sunday best.

#37714 11/27/07 01:44 AM
N
N
Tokyohunter you are my new best friend! (I should read the firefox instructions more often).

The Million cars video is the first for download. you did really well to keep it so steady, it looked a real crush up front, except for when one guy really started to rock out towards the end and a small clearing formed for him to dance in!

#37715 11/27/07 01:56 AM
N
N
Quote:
Why only ten thousand if there are a million cars?
I like to think a reference to the road chaos we're in. Thanks for the reveiw, I'd forgotten just how cold the wind was standing on Kilburn High Road, yet the night whas very pleasant at 10.30 (after the gig walking on sunshine!)

#37716 11/27/07 02:40 AM
D
D

#37717 11/27/07 03:02 AM
T
T
No-one Driving: Thanks!
I've got a 6 clips up now.(2 more tomorrow)
www.youtube.com/tokyohunter
Glad you sussed out the Firefox plugin - very handy.
The dancing/enthusiastic guy near the end of the gig, yes I remember him, he spoke to my sister at the end of the gig, said it was his first John Foxx concert and loved it.

#37718 11/27/07 10:11 AM
Hi Mark I enjoyed reading your post and the way you summed up the whole event. It was nice to meet you along with loads of others from this forum.

Thanks to everyone who's put clips on Youtube. I will watch them later today.

Peter smile smile

Page 22 of 27 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 26 27

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.