Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
OP Offline
How about kicking things off with a discussion about this years output?

My own POV is that 2006 has been the best year since 1980.

The combination of these three albums into one huge listening experience (with the addition of the awesome "Running In Traffic" from the Big as a City album) is sublime. There's hardly a duff track amongst them and the highlights are right up there with past glories IMO.

My personal top three are Freeze Frame, Impossible and Running In Traffic (even though the latter does sound an awful lot like Miles Away wink ).

What does everyone else think?

Voxxy

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Humana:
How about kicking things off with a discussion about this years output?
A fine idea... laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Humana:
What does everyone else think?
Personally - the highlight for me has to be Tiny Colour Movies which I feel is John's most important release since Metamatic.

Bit of a sweeping statement I know - and it's not to say that I don't enjoy Cathedral Oceans or any of the material that has been produced with either Louis or Harold, it just means that TCM is the one for me...

Rob

OP Offline
I guess I'm addicted to beats Rob laugh

Likewise, I enjoy the "drifting" music but I have to make quiet time to really appreciate it.

Give me a clanking old CR-78, a dirty great bassline and that Odyssey screaming solo though and the old adrenaline starts pumping accompanied by a wide grin cool

C
C
I have to agree that Tiny Colour Movies is a very important release and this would be complete with the DVD.

Whatīs surprising is that the whole package of The Hidden Man, Live From A Room, From Trash and Sideways is out of this world. Itīs unimaginable.

Itīs truly been a remarkable year. I like the idea of John's solo electronics coupled with the commerciality of his work with Louie.

For 2007/ 2008 this solo electronica theme could be taken further with the release of Urban Motets (or under a new theme) and The Quiet Man plus DVD. Itīs about time these gems are released. I mention 2008, as in 2007 John will be busy with his various collaborations but hopefully weīll finally get to hear the original version of Like A Miracle.

My faves have been Kurfurstendamm, Skyscraper, Looped Los Angeles and Peripheral Character from TCM. Running in Traffic from The Hidden Man, A Million Cars, Friendly Fire, Another You, From Trash and Freeze Frame from From Trash. Car Crash Flashback V2, A Silent Way, Sailing on Sunshine, X Ray Vision and A Room As A Big As A City (Extended) from Sideways.

This yearīs been like a Greatest Hits package! Unbelievable!

Thanks John! Thanks Louie!

Chris C laugh

This year for me as certainly been the best year JF wise since 2001 (the year of re-discovery).
This year is Johns most productive year ever. I've been privileged to have seem him live 5 times. It's hard to pick an outstanding release because I like them all.

The Leeds CO concert was outstanding as I wasn't going to go but with thanks to Mark and Shadowman for the encouragement I booked a train and an hotel at the last minute. I think it'll be a long time before I witness John doing another CO concert in a church, I can't decribe the atmosphere inside and it finished all too quickly.
Peter

Administrator
Administrator
For me, the performance of Tiny Colour Movies in Brighton was the highlight.
It's the kind of music I would like to see John produce more of in the coming years, and I'm delighted to see him at last able to explore his fascination with film.
In that respect, "Skyscraper" would have to be the single best track from him I have heard in a long time.
It wasn't just the gig though. I was fortunate enough to meet John both before and after the show, and enjoyed more than a passing 'thanks that was great' kind of comment.

Otherwise, it was AMAZING to see John and Louis do 'The Man who Dies Every Day' on the mini-tour. Again in Brighton.
Funnily enough, the last three times I have seen John live have all been in Brighton?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
J
J
This has been the best year to be a Foxx fan.

FROM TRASH is definitely the most cohesive of the Foxx/Gordon collaborations. As usual, though, one track stands out for me: "A Million Cars." I love the clashing synth power chords and Foxx's dramatic, Bowie-esque delivery. Another favorite is "Never Let Me Go," which reminds me a bit of Val Garay's hazy synth production flourishes from the early 80s.

What a year!!!!

The most foxx albums in one year ever in hes entire career and 'gig cds' worthy of most artists standard releases.

The best for me was the latest album 'from trash' the best tracks being 'a million cars' 'impossible' 'the one who walks through you' and 'another you'.

Second is 'TCM' especially 'skyscraper' and from 'Sideways' i cant stop playing 'car crash flashback'

J
J
I wonder why John's been so prolific as of late. He's released more material so far this decade than he did in the 70s and 80s combined. Hell, I'll continue to cough up the cash.

The highlight for me was being able to take LG to the CO concert in Leeds in early November. A wonderful evening and experience.

smile

EG
x

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.