Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
Eric's Liverpool Feb 78 ( as Lead singer of Ultravox !) Probably my best ever concert
Korova Liverpool June 2006 (With Louis Gordon A sleepless night followed by a 12 hour combined epic train journey from La Spezia to Milan flight to Manchester and train to Liverpool )
Transilvania Milan April 2007 easy 60 mile rail journey night in hotel pre -gig pizza and meet the great man back stage
Genoa June 2008 , on his tod doing a freebie in the main square performing his "Quiet Man " stuff basically "Europe after the rain " come to life with its gobsmackingly beautiful backdrop Exchanged a few words yet again Another night in hotel , joined by wife and daughter the following day for day on the coast
Never less than excellent
For those going on the 5th June I'm sure you'll have a good one

H
H
A friend of mine once saw Foxx in Hyde Park in London in 1986 or thereabouts. John was wearing shorts, reportedly.

B
B
Hmm, Foxx sightings...

Whenever I see John, I don't think of it so much as a "sighting" than as a "visit". But here goes--

October 2008--met John for first time after Cargo show in London. Talked to him for about 30 minutes.

May 2009--talked to John before malfunctioning set in Liverpool, when he was clearly anxious about the tech difficulties, and then afterward when Steve Malins invited me to the aftershow party. Drank copious amounts of beer and learned John's secret for blowing his nose onstage.

July 2009, Apple Store--saw John after showing of "The Quiet Man", and talked for 40 minutes or so.

July 2009, DNA opening--talked to John on and off all evening, then went for drinks afterward.

November 2009--John came to New York--saw him when he arrived, while he was setting up, during both the Man Made of Shadows showing and the opening of his exhibition, and then went to dinner with him and a few others after.

December 2009--talked to John after showing of The Quiet Man in Bath, invited by him to a pub for a catered event he was having for friends and such. Stayed til 2am, talked to him a few times during the evening when he came over to table I was at to quiz me about strange things.

That's all at the moment...

Administrator
Administrator
'Sightings' of the Foxx?

First time was at the Dominion in October 1983 - a starstruck fan. Clapping, cheering and general whooping now immortalised In The Glow

Ditto The Lyceum in December 1983. My girlfriend at the time said "what? again?"...Clapping, cheering and general whooping now immortalised In The Glow

Sorry, have I mentioned before that I was at both those gigs? :p

Twenty years (TWENTY YEARS??? eek ) later I saw John Foxx with Louis Gordon at Scala in September 2003, when I 'met' him for the first time. He was good enough to sign my copy of The Golden Section lyric book.

Spoke to John briefly on the stairs before the show and after during the signing session at Pressure Point in Brighton, 2006 which was the first time I introduced myself to him.
And he knew who I was thanks to this forum and people on it namedropping. wink
He was then good enough to speak to me in person at the bar afterwards and introduced me to The Rubicks.

November 2006 I met John before and after the premier of Tiny Colour Movies. Had a brief chat and a drink with him and others at the venue before the show. Remember being amazed that he had to borrow a bar table to use as a keyboard stand...
After the show in the pouring rain was my favourite encounter so far, which I shall refer to my grandchildren as 'The Night John Foxx Shared My Chips'

In July 2007 I met Garry Hensey and Mark Fisher for the first time, and a couple of others from the forum at Fulham Palace. Introduced myself to Steve then, but John was in a million places all at the same time and surrounded by paparazzi so I didn't meet him.

September 2007 I saw John Foxx live again at ICA and spoke for a while to Mike Barker, Louis Gordon, Karborn and The Rubicks.

October 2008 Cargo, again a starstruck fan, with Karborn and D'Agostino. Had previously seen him a couple of hours before the gig chatting with Steve and the crew, so at least I knew I was in the right place...

Last time I saw him was at The Horse Hospital in July 2009. Briefly shared a few words during a conversation with Mark Gatiss

I've actually been to a lot less gigs than I think I thought I had...?
What's that - eight maybe?

I don't travel well smile

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Met John after the Brisbane gig, signed a couple of my CD's, shook his hand and thanked him for coming to Australia, I actually didn't look at him in the eye which I really feel bad about but I was - and am still - incredibly shy, especially when I was in the presence of one of my musical influences...

I never got to speak to him after the '83 gigs. Like Martin, I'm am also probably one of the shouting/cheering crowd at Lyceum/Dominion. I also saw the warm up at Hitchin as well.

Then silence.... Actually, living out here (Japan) it actually took a while to realise that he was making music again!

25 years later and two live shows in Tokyo near my house!! I managed to say "hello" as part of a long queue of people lining up to have stuff signed. As many have observed, a perfect gentleman, and clearly very intelligent.

As fans, we get a lot out of these brief moments, but I often wonder how does the other side of these encounters feels. In some ways a great way to meet new people, in others could it be slightly disturbing that you have little control over the meeting and many of those you meet know SO MUCH about you already?

Glad I'm not famous (yet!). wink

F
F
@ Chris; well, you made it onto a dvd wink

on topic; After listening to Foxx for years I got to meet the (new kind of) man finally at the 2006 Paradiso gig in Amsterdam.
Waited a while downstairs and got my "From Trash" signed by John & Louis.
Mentioned some words with him on the sound quality, which we both thought was very good at the gig.
To prove my future kids (they are not aware of that fact yet laugh ) I actually met him I requested a photo with him.

A second meeting was at the end of the, superb!, Luminaire gigs in 2007.
Wanted to get my Cathedral Oceans signed (which he did).
Waited for a while at the back with some English Pre-Midge Ultravox fans who didn't have a camera with them.
Talking to them was almost as fun as meeting John a little later laugh
Made them a photo with John and mailed it later.
Oh, and I met Rob for the first time there as well wink

In my opinion he's a very distinguished and polite person, at least to his fans.
(I don't know how he is at home, and to be honest that is none of my business as I only know his as an artist).
But it made me wonder where some of the "lesser gods" (read; upcoming bands with a huge ego) get their arrogance from...

H
H
Strange as it sounds I've never "met" John and have no great desire to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I know from what other people have said that John's a fascinating and friendly chap who always has time for his fans, I just like the idea of keeping some distance from your heroes to maintain the mystique.

Plus if I ever did get the chance to speak to him I'd probably get all tongue tied and blurt out something utterly cringeworthy about how I've been his biggest fan for 30 years..... wink

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.