Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
#24546 08/22/07 12:59 PM
OP Offline
Well, Metamatic is on its way – so what’s gonna be on 'The Garden'? And how will such a sumptuous booklet such as ‘Church’ be accommodated? Based on the 2 CD set for Metamatic, here's a conservative attempt at a tracklist;

CD 1

Europe After The Rain
Systems Of Romance
When I Was A Man And You Were A Woman
Dancing Like A Gun
Pater Noster
Night Suit
You Were There
Fusion/Fission
Walk Away
The Garden

CD 2

The Quiet Man #3
The Quiet Man #4
Miles Away (UK / Japanese Version)
Long Time
This Jungle
Swimmer
Swimmer II
Young Man
Fusion/Fission (1979 Version)

Any thoughts?

Just two thoughs, one would be to put the single edit 'Dancing....', and fade version of 'Europe....' at the end of cd2. And secondly, just maybe even more tracks will be found before going to print.

F
F
My first thought is,
having watched the video of "Dancing like a Gun" on YouTube,
that releasing trying to ensure every man, woman and child in Britain can watch this video too is a more pressing priority! smile

Seriously though - no chance of a DVD release of Virgin's old VHS John Foxx video tape...?

F
F
My second thought is:
perhaps the CD could come with a free packet of seeds, so you can grow your own garden smile

OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:
My second thought is:
perhaps the CD could come with a free packet of seeds, so you can grow your own garden smile
Superb idea! Would add to the organic quality of the music! wink

OP Offline
Quote:
Seriously though - no chance of a DVD release of Virgin's old VHS John Foxx video tape...?
None! John now owns the rights to all his vids and in a recent interview said that he disliked them as he had little control over that area of his work. He also said that he plans to re-do the videos sometime in the future.

F
F
Oh dear lord!

John: get over yerself! LOL

Those videos have been (just about) in the public domain now for nearly 30 years.

If you spend money making new ones, they'll probably only get seen by about 2000 people max, and all of those people will still want to watch the original ones too anyways!

Sure, if he puts a DVD out of the original vids, maybe that'll make him lots of money and he can spend it on re-shooting some other vids... ;-)

Hi Garry
Sounds like you're very near the mark from your tracklisting. Although I'd love to hear Fusion/Fission 1979 version I can't see it being on there myself.

I agree with you Feline 1. Even if John did make a new video's for release on DVD I'd still like to see the originals.

Peter

Don't get me wrong but I don't think it is a good idea to include the Quiet Men tracks on a new The Garden CD. For my opinion it sounded very different to the Garden tracks - it's more Cathedral Oceans sound.

So how would it be to release it on a compilation, perhaps the one which was mentioned in the past: METADELIC? Or on the forthcoming compilation Rob mentioned along with No-one Driving (remix)?

For my opinion the remastered CD's shall include only material from the period they were originally recorded.

wink Andreas

Personaly i would not like to see 'quite men 3 and 4' just on a compilation as their very much part of 'The Garden' although i agree they may not sound quite the same. As Rob said -

''Quiet Man (Alternative Version 3) and Quiet Man (Alternative Version 4) : These are NOT alternative versions of the track Quiet Men, instead they are instrumentals (out of broadly the same mould as Glimmer) and (due to their original release date) are currently ear-marked to appear on a new version of The Garden.''

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well ... the only other track i can currently think of that would fit very well - imho - on a remastered edition of "the garden" would be "lumen de lumine" , as i bet my 2 cents of the euro that it was already recorded back @ the same time as "pater noster" , but jus' wasn't released in 1981 !

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Personaly i would not like to see 'quite men 3 and 4' just on a compilation as their very much part of 'The Garden' although i agree they may not sound quite the same.
I gave it a second thought.
The both quiet Men tracks sounding similar to the tiltle track of the Garden. So I agree it could be included though it sounds different to the rest of the album.

Anyway I would love to hear it in a remastered sound!

I think Garry and newvox have covered it all within the first two posts as far as track-listing goes, however I think that "Young Man" should be at the end of CD 2 or at the beginning of CD 2 of " The Golden Section" reissue. The reason for that is that it was released in 1982 and sounds more of that period than "The Garden".

F
F
At this rate we'll all just be given keys to John's house and be allowed to wander round with magnifying glasses, finding bits of dust which fell off his jacket in 1984.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
... to wander round with magnifying glasses, ...
this immediately brought up the image of sherlock holmes in my mind ... & after thinking about it , i would even go so far & say that john & louis are somehow the sherlock holmes & dr. watson of today's electronic music ! *hehehe*

;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
I think that "Young Man" should be at the end of CD 2 or at the beginning of CD 2 of " The Golden Section" reissue. The reason for that is that it was released in 1982 and sounds more of that period than "The Garden".
yeah, it was b-side of endlessly so the golden section reissue would indeed be a better place. too bad there weren't any extended mixes of "dancing like a gun" or "europe after the rain" on the maxi-singles at the time.

H
H
I wonder if releasable fragments of John's soundtrack for the Antonioni film "Identification Of A Woman" might be available for the "The Garden" reissue? I know a soundtrack album was never released, but I remember seeing the film and hearing an extended instrumental version of "Europe After The Rain". As the soundtrack dates from the "The Garden" era, perhaps some parts of it might work for disc 2?

N
N
I'm up for a 5.1 remix. Possibly with some graphics?

F
F
The title track in 5.1 would be LUSH!

Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
I wonder if releasable fragments of John's soundtrack for the Antonioni film "Identification Of A Woman" might be available for the "The Garden" reissue? I know a soundtrack album was never released, but I remember seeing the film and hearing an extended instrumental version of "Europe After The Rain". As the soundtrack dates from the "The Garden" era, perhaps some parts of it might work for disc 2?
Yes I remember this great instrumental version...
Would be fantastic if it could have a place on the re-master CD!!

Administrator
Administrator
Interesting
I notice that this weekend a copy of the Touch Meridians 1 feat The QUiet Man 4 has sold on ebay for £51.00!

Also feat. Current 93 whose latest album is superb

Nice work if you can get it…

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:
well ... the only other track i can currently think of that would fit very well - imho - on a remastered edition of "the garden" would be "lumen de lumine" , as i bet my 2 cents of the euro that it was already recorded back @ the same time as "pater noster" , but jus' wasn't released in 1981 !
The earliest date for Lumen De Lumine in John's tape archive is April 1985. There's no evidence of there being an earlier version of this track under a different name.

Rob

Quote:
Originally posted by psychocandy:
Quote:
[qb] I think that "Young Man" should be at the end of CD 2 or at the beginning of CD 2 of " The Golden Section" reissue. The reason for that is that it was released in 1982 and sounds more of that period than "The Garden".
yeah, it was b-side of endlessly so the golden section reissue would indeed be a better place.
That is logical to put 'young man' as the first track on cd2 of 'TGS', due to the release date and sound.

Also gald to hear 'lumen de lumine' is part of the 'IMW' era, as at this moment i dont even know enough songs to fill one whole cds worth for its re-issue.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Harris:
The earliest date for [b]Lumen De Lumine in John's tape archive is April 1985. There's no evidence of there being an earlier version of this track under a different name.[/b]
i owe u 2 cents of an euro now , rob ! ;-)

nevertheless ... "lumen ..." still sounds totally like a follow-up to "pater noster" to me - also concerning its overall theme ! ;-)

Edit: Argh. Never mind. Found the answer in another thread.

H
H
Quote:
Also gald to hear 'lumen de lumine' is part of the 'IMW' era, as at this moment i dont even know enough songs to fill one whole cds worth for its re-issue. [/QB]
It would be tricky to fill a second CD. There are 12" versions of 'Stars' and 'Enter the Angel' and indeed a longer version of 'Stairway/Hiding In Plain Sight' as well as the 'Stars' b-sides. A release of the BBC sessions from that time would be nice as they include a couple of unreleased tracks. I note that Lloyd Cole has included BBC session tracks on some his re-releases (I'm thinking of the 'Rattlesnakes' re-issue from a few years ago) so the licensing issues might not be insurmountable.

OP Offline
Originally posted by Rob in the ‘Forthcoming Releases’ section;

Next month sees the release of special double disc editions of The Garden, The Golden Section and In Mysterious Ways. Each album will be accompanied by a selection of associated extra tracks from the accompanying singles, together with some previously unreleased material. The booklets feature expanded artwork and lyrics. The full details and track-listings are as follows...

John Foxx : The Garden

Disc One
01. Europe After the Rain
02. Systems of Romance
03. When I Was a Man and You Were a Woman
04. Dancing Like a Gun
05. Pater Noster
06. Night Suit
07. You Were There
08. Fusion / Fission
09. Walk Away
10. The Garden

Disc Two
01. Swimmer II
02. This Jungle
03. Miles Away
04. A Long Time
05. Swimmer I
06. Fog previously unreleased
07. Swimmer III
08. Swimmer IV
09. Dance With Me (early version) previously unreleased
10. A Woman on a Stairway (early version) previously unreleased
11. Fusion / Fission (early version) previously unreleased
12. Miles Away (alternative version) previously unreleased

Finally the track-list is here and I just can't wait to get my hands on this! This is my favourite Foxx album ever.

I’m hoping CD2 has the same feel as CD2 of Metamatic which feels like an album in it’s own right and isn’t just a bunch of tracks put together. The previously unreleased track and unreleased versions are almost a mini-album in their own right.

All I'm wondering about now is if they've accommodated the beautiful Church booklet that came with initial quantities of the original vinyl pressing.

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
I’m hoping CD2 has the same feel as CD2 of Metamatic which feels like an album in it’s own right and isn’t just a bunch of tracks put together. The previously unreleased track and unreleased versions are almost a mini-album in their own right.
It does indeed - we've made every effort to ensure that all of the 'second discs' from the forthcoming editions of The Garden, The Golden Section and In Mysterious Ways (as well as Glimmer) all function like albums in their own right.

Quote:
All I'm wondering about now is if they've accommodated the beautiful Church booklet that came with initial quantities of the original vinyl pressing.
Don't fret - we've incorporated as much as possible of the Church booklet into the enpanded artwork. The booklet for The Garden runs to a massive twenty-four pages.

Rob

That is pretty massive for a CD booklet!

OP Offline
Quote:
Quote:
[b]I’m hoping CD2 has the same feel as CD2 of Metamatic which feels like an album in it’s own right and isn’t just a bunch of tracks put together. The previously unreleased track and unreleased versions are almost a mini-album in their own right.
It does indeed - we've made every effort to ensure that all of the 'second discs' (from the forthcoming editions of The Garden, The Golden Section and In Mysterious Ways (as well as Glimmer) all function like albums in their own right.

Quote:
Don't fret - we've incorporated as much as possible of the Church booklet into the enpanded artwork. The booklet for The Garden runs to a massive twenty-four pages.

Rob [/b]
You've just blown my tiny little mind!

Alternative The Garden album AND 24 Glossy pages!!!!

Bloody hell!!!! laugh

I'm just too damn happy now...actually I have one complaint;

JUST RELEASE IT NOW! NOW! RIGHT NOW!

laugh

And it comes with a trowel and packet of special seeds!

Very witty. Hoe hoe hoe and all that...

:rolleyes:

C
C
Quote:
...we've incorporated as much as possible of the [b]Church booklet into the expanded artwork. The booklet for The Garden runs to a massive twenty-four pages.

[/b]
Good heavens! smile

That's perfect for me. The text of Church is part of the on-going book The Quiet Man which, hopefully, shall be released in the not too distant future.

Chris wink

C
C
I've just wee'ed (a little bit)
Cheers

Fork me; the gags are getting worse! Best put the jokes to bed I suggest...

smile

T
T
Quote:

I don't know if you know Garry but The Church booklet was reprinted (as a separate CD booklet) for the Japanese version of The Garden back in the day, 2002? 2003? Might be worth hunting that down. I lose all sense of time.

OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Quote:
[b]
I don't know if you know Garry but The Church booklet was reprinted (as a separate CD booklet) for the Japanese version of The Garden back in the day, 2002? 2003? Might be worth hunting that down. I lose all sense of time. [/b]
Those Japanese remasters look nice but expensive. I think I'll wait for the Deluxe Edition next month. I've got the original Japanese vinyl of The Garden and for some reason all they've printed of the original Church booklet is the front and back covers! Very odd!

F
F
well so help me sweet baby jesus,
the email from Townsend records arrived and I've
pre-ordered the Garden, Golden Section & In Mysterious Ways.

For two of these albums, this will be the THIRD time I've bought them on CD (only the 2nd for the Golden Section though!)

Boy am I a glutton for punishment! smile

I have my tics for the October London show to.

Let's hope John plays "The Garden" at it!

C
C
Quote:

the email from Townsend records arrived and I've
pre-ordered the Garden, Golden Section & In Mysterious Ways.

Eh!?! eek I haven't received this email. There's no time to loose.
laugh

Chris wink

C
C
Where're the pre-order buttons?!? confused

You're feline and you're lying! :rolleyes:

Please let me know when Mr Townsend has enabled these.

Cheers!
Chris

The Golden Section (Special Edition) (2xCD)
Released: October 6, 2008

Tracks
1. My Wild Love
2. Someone
3. Your Dress
4. Running Across Thin Ice With Tigers
5. Sitting at the Edge of the World
6. Endlessly
7. Ghosts on Water
8. Like a Miracle
9. The Hidden Man
10. Twilight's Last Gleaming

1. Endlessly (single version)
2. My Wild Love (early version) (previously unreleased)
3. A Long Time (alternative version) (previously unreleased)
4. Annexe
5. Sitting at the Edge of the World (alternative version) (previously unreleased)
6. A Kind of Wave
7. Twilight's Last Gleaming (early version) (previously unreleased)
8. Running Across Thin Ice With Tigers (extended mix) (previously unreleased)
9. A Woman on a Stairway
10. The Lifting Sky
11. Shine On Me (previously unreleased)
12. Young Man
13. Wings and a Wind
14. The Hidden Man (alternative version) (previously unreleased)
15. Dance With Me
16. Endlessly (extended mix) (previously unreleased)

In Mysterious Ways (Special Edition) (2xCD)

Tracks
1. Stars on Fire
2. Lose All Sense of Time
3. Spin Away (previously unreleased)
4. Shine On
5. Enter the Angel
6. In Mysterious Ways
7. What Kind of Girl
8. Stepping Softly
9. Enter the Angel II
10. Morning Glory

1. This Side of Paradise
2. Enter the Angel (alternative version) (previously unreleased)
3. To Be With You (alternative version) (previously unreleased)
4. And the Sky (previously unreleased)
5. Magic (previously unreleased)
6. Hiding in Plain Sight
7. Shine On (alternative version) (previously unreleased)
8. City of Light
9. Lumen De Lumine

The Garden (Special Edition) (2xCD)

Tracks
1. Europe After the Rain
2. Systems of Romance
3. When I Was a Man and You Were a Woman
4. Dancing Like a Gun
5. Pater Noster
6. Night Suit
7. You Were There
8. Fusion / Fission
9. Walk Away
10. The Garden

1. Swimmer II
2. This Jungle
3. Miles Away
4. A Long Time
5. Swimmer I
6. Fog (previously unreleased)
7. Swimmer III (originally titled The Quiet Man 3)
8. Swimmer IV (originally titled The Quiet Man 4)
9. Dance With Me (early version) (previously unreleased)
10. A Woman on a Stairway (early version) (previously unreleased)
11. Fusion / Fission (early version) (previously unreleased)
12. Miles Away (alternative version) (previously unreleased)

Now, that is some tracklisting!!! I just can't wait for October 6th. I haven't worked out many copies of each I've bought in my lifetime, but I'll be getting these for sure! I'm not sure which one excites me the most -each has their own qualities. Really looking forward to hearing the new tracks and the previously unreleased ones. cool

Rob -Is the version of 'A Kind Of Wave' the extended one from the 12" of 'Endlessly'? Oh, I hope so! I'm guessing they've all been digitally remastered as well?

I'm just so happy at all this. 2008 -another great year to be a Foxx fan! smile

T
T
Lots of intriguing unheard tracks to look forward to on these three releases.

For me, the biggest surprise is 'This Side Of Paradise' being kicked off 'In Mysterious Ways' and placed on the bonus disc; replaced, in a different place in the running order, by this 'Spin Away' geezer. I can't think of any other album reissue where something like this has happened. Perhaps John always wanted 'Spin Away' on IMW rather than 'This Side Of Paradise' but Virgin disagreed and pulled rank. Or else maybe it's a retrospective stylistic choice of John's.

C
C
John reigns supreme. I'm proud of what he's done by relegating This Side of Paradise to the second disc. He's the artist and the expert. You see when it comes to composing he knows better than the record companies, even if we are talking about Virgin, EMI, RCA, Columbia etc. Executives don't know about musicianship. They're only interested in the final product for the sake of sales. Music is about art and not turnover. mad :rolleyes: wink

In my eyes John Foxx is bigger than the bigheads of these record companies who think that they are bigger than the artists. John now owns his creations. So congrats to John for such a move. Fantastic move John! wink

We are really proud of you. You're the best pioneer of electronic music. Gary Numan and David Bowie would agree. Such are your modest ways, almost mysterious.

The 2-disc releases are triumphant acts. You deserve the recognition and the recognition you'll get. God bless you John!

Chris (your biggest fan!) wink

The tracks I'm looking forward to :

The Golden Section (Special Edition) (2xCD)

1. Endlessly (single version)
3. A Long Time (alternative version) (previously unreleased)
4. Annexe
5. Sitting at the Edge of the World (alternative version) (previously unreleased)
6. A Kind of Wave
7. Twilight's Last Gleaming (early version) (previously unreleased)
10. The Lifting Sky
11. Shine On Me (previously unreleased)
12. Young Man
13. Wings and a Wind
14. The Hidden Man (alternative version) (previously unreleased)

The Garden (Special Edition) (2xCD)

1. Swimmer II
2. This Jungle
3. Miles Away
4. A Long Time
5. Swimmer I
6. Fog (previously unreleased)
7. Swimmer III (originally titled The Quiet Man 3)
8. Swimmer IV (originally titled The Quiet Man 4)
9. Dance With Me (early version) (previously unreleased)
10. A Woman on a Stairway (early version) (previously unreleased)
11. Fusion / Fission (early version) (previously unreleased)
12. Miles Away (alternative version) (previously unreleased)

The ones I've omitted I've already got, or in the case of IMW, I'm afraid it just doesn't "do it" for me. Sorry. frown

Are they all "remastered", as in remastered, as opposed to "a bit louder than the original"? It's such a misused and bastardised term these days...

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by The Quiet Trees:
Lots of intriguing unheard tracks to look forward to on these three releases.

For me, the biggest surprise is 'This Side Of Paradise' being kicked off 'In Mysterious Ways' and placed on the bonus disc; replaced, in a different place in the running order, by this 'Spin Away' geezer. I can't think of any other album reissue where something like this has happened. Perhaps John always wanted 'Spin Away' on IMW rather than 'This Side Of Paradise' but Virgin disagreed and pulled rank. Or else maybe it's a retrospective stylistic choice of John's.
Stylistically, the track This Side of Paradise 'sits' really well on the second disc - while Spin Away is more 'in keeping' with the rest of the In Mysterious Ways album. I've gotta say that I think that Spin Away is way and above the best track from this era - and easily deserves its place on the first disc.

Rob

T
T
Cheers for the explanation, Rob.

So ya think 'Spin Away' is far and away better than the likes of 'Stepping Softly' and the title track? The word 'wow' springs to mind. This is quite something to look forward to. smile

Administrator
Administrator
Indeed, that is praise above the call.
A track better than everything else on IMW???

I'd say that was nigh impossible. Fantastic cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Quote:
Stylistically, the track [b]This Side of Paradise 'sits' really well on the second disc - while Spin Away is more 'in keeping' with the rest of the In Mysterious Ways album. I've gotta say that I think that Spin Away is way and above the best track from this era - and easily deserves its place on the first disc.

Rob [/b]
Interesting... not that i'm really complaining here or anything, it feels like christmas coming early, with these, ultravox-reissues and new order reissues (except i have to pay for these), but where's stars on fire extended 12" version?

F
F
hang on - *more* Ultravox re-issues?? /blinks/

I was wondering about that myself, 'til I realised it's the Ure Years.

Quote:
Stylistically, the track [b]This Side of Paradise 'sits' really well on the second disc - while Spin Away is more 'in keeping' with the rest of the In Mysterious Ways album. I've gotta say that I think that Spin Away is way and above the best track from this era - and easily deserves its place on the first disc.

Rob [/b]
When you listen to it, 'This Side Of Paradise' really does fit in well with a track like 'Hiding In Plain Sight'.

Btw, does anyone know why the title of 'Hiding In Plain Sight' changed from 'Stairway' as it was on the B-side of 'Enter The Angel'?

C
C
The Garden and The Golden Section and are now available for pre-order at Townsend Records...but where has In Mysterious Ways gone? Surely not under the mysterious Johnny Foxx!?! eek

Chris wink

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Ion-ah:
Btw, does anyone know why the title of 'Hiding In Plain Sight' changed from 'Stairway' as it was on the B-side of 'Enter The Angel'?
Retrospectively, John decided that Hiding in Plain Sight was a more appropriate title for that track.

Rob

H
H
Quote:
Retrospectively, John decided that Hiding in Plain Sight was a more appropriate title for that track.
My recollection is that 'Hiding in Plain Sight' was the original title of that track. Prior to IMW's release a number of track titles were printed somewhere and 'Hiding...' was included. It was a bit of a surprise when this track turned up with a different title.

H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by psychocandy:
but where's stars on fire extended 12" version? [/QB]
Consigned, rightfully, to oblivion.

C
C
For the moment let's enjoy these reissues. What do I see outside my window this morning... Fog. I'm also looking forward to this haunting track on The Garden.

All the previously released 12" mixes have been left out and logic will tell you that they are reserved for some future release. Hope none of these gets truncated.

Chris wink

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Halloway:
Quote:
Retrospectively, John decided that [b]Hiding in Plain Sight was a more appropriate title for that track.
My recollection is that 'Hiding in Plain Sight' was the original title of that track. Prior to IMW's release a number of track titles were printed somewhere and 'Hiding...' was included. It was a bit of a surprise when this track turned up with a different title. [/b]
A track entitled Hiding in Plain Sight was definitely mentioned in issue two of The Service ahead of In Mysterious Ways being released. but I'm afraid that I can't guarantee that that track is the one which actually became Stairway, and which would eventually be retitled Hiding in Plain Sight. It's certainly more than likely - but I just can't guarantee it...

Rob

C
C
Rob

Out of curiousity, when going through all the tapes regarding material for inclusion on the second disc of The Garden did you come across (in good or poor audio quality)any extra recordings of birdsong, any experiments with The Human Host or any early Cathedral Oceans type of music?

Chris wink

Administrator
Administrator
I've got lots of recordings of birdsong...

From my perspective, apart from the 'new' track Fog (which may or may not be 'haunting'...) the two most interesting tracks on this edition of The Garden are the early versions of A Woman on A Stairway and Dance With Me, and especially the former.
This is one of my personal favourites.

I posted somewhere else about this being rather similar in part to some of one of the tracks on the CO bootleg, but I need to play that again and no-one followed up on the suggestion...

It will be absolutely fascinating to hear how these two songs were first conceived. Superb news.

C
C
Rob

Around the time of The Garden , as we've discussed, before John provided a tape of music for the soundtrack to Michelangelo Antonioni's film Identification of a Woman (Identificazione di una Donna). It seemed that an early version of Europe After The Rain only appeared on the film's soundtrack as a linking piece. Again, did you come across (in good or poor audio quality) this recording or any of the others on that tape?

Also, John Wesley Barker on the Ultravox forum wrote from the following on this interesting thread:

http://www.ultravox.org.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000487#000009

... I was around The Garden when John started working on the second solo album. I remember we pitched to do the theme to Superman 2 (the movie). The word on the block was that they (remember the Superman movies were produced by the cast and crew - revolutionary in Hollywood at that time) wanted a synthesizer score rather than the full John Williams orchestral treatment. So I transcribed the John Williams score from the first Superman and multi-tracked with Gareth one day using the Yamaha CS-1 we'd borrowed from someone (?) and my Casio VL tone (YES - the little very cheap Casio, I used it to play the fast string lines at a few points) then John Foxx came in a added some wooshes on the Arp Odyssey. Obviously we didn't get the job, but it went to Ken Freeman I believe, of Casualty BBC theme fame. I have a cassette of this recording - monitor mixes.

Did you find John's copy of this?

There's surely more to The Garden era than meets the eye. wink

Chris wink

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
Out of curiousity, when going through all the tapes regarding material for inclusion on the second disc of [b]The Garden did you come across (in good or poor audio quality)any extra recordings of birdsong, any experiments with The Human Host or any early Cathedral Oceans type of music?[/b]
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris C:
Around the time of The Garden , as we've discussed, before John provided a tape of music for the soundtrack to Michelangelo Antonioni's film Identification of a Woman (Identificazione di una Donna). It seemed that an early version of Europe After The Rain only appeared on the film's soundtrack as a linking piece. Again, did you come across (in good or poor audio quality) this recording or any of the others on that tape?

Did you find John's copy of this?

There's surely more to The Garden era than meets the eye.
For what I hope are very obvious reasons I'm not going to start detailing the contents of Johns tape archive.

Rob

I would say that these new CDs will be the 'definitive' versions - and all the extra tracks used are the ones worth using, having been selected from an archive of all kinds, which I can only imagine contains more rough or unfinished songs than complete ones.

Other material will remain in the archive for obvious reasons, in that there's no need to release it, especially stuff that isn't finished or up to standard.

Let's not demand an mile when given an inch. I'm sure that we will be very impressed with every additional track, which will nicely "complete" each album.

I agree with Rob that it is best not to go into detail about the past archive tapes.

The basic outlines for that Ken told me about last week, and it was reflected in his post on the forthcoming reissues thread:

http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000017;p=3

It is a mixture of the things he hinted towards and deliberately did not bring up in the post.

I for one am happy with whatever is released; I don't have the luxury to complain. frown

Just catching up on all the exciting news here .. I was confused at first as Radio B's first post was from 22 August ..2007!! . .a whole year waiting then..
Thanks in advance for all the hard work involved - looking forward to it all.

Quote:
I agree with Rob that it is best not to go into detail about the past archive tapes.

The basic outlines for that Ken told me about last week, and it was reflected in his post on the forthcoming reissues thread:

It is a mixture of the things he hinted towards and deliberately did not bring up in the post.
confused

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by E. G. Ekin:
Quote:
[b] I agree with Rob that it is best not to go into detail about the past archive tapes.

confused [/b]
No, I don't understand either. confused

Perhaps someone (Ken or Maryann?) would like to tell me?

Rob

Administrator
Administrator
Absolutely. What exactly was hinted at?
I saw this reference and wondered the same thing

Obviously and understandably some information etc shouldn't be broadcast here, but when it can't even be shared with Rob?? eek

C
C
I don't know either... eek

C
C
Look out, look out, the 'I know more than you-eys' are about!
Cheers

"Fog" is a fascinating title... I'm looking forward to hearing this one. I wonder if it is instrumental?

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
"Fog" is a fascinating title... I'm looking forward to hearing this one. I wonder if it is instrumental?
It's an instrumental, with a running time of a little under six minutes.

Rob

Wow, six whole minutes! Is this track something from the early stages of Cathedral Oceans?

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Wow, six whole minutes! Is this track something from the early stages of Cathedral Oceans?
Ah, you'll have to wait and see... wink

Rob

The link I put up to K's post of last week was not referring to any of us knowing more than anyone else. wink In fact it was a post to help Rob to get things back on topic as some were referring to In The Glow.

And my post above was in agreement with K's post of last week, and Rob and Alex in this thread that wild speculation for In The Glow and early tapes does nothing positive. This thread should just be for discussing and enjoying these upcoming releases. smile smile smile smile

I'd like to know what John has to say about these reissues. Is there one he's particularly satisfied with I wonder...

T
T
Quote:
Quote:
[b]I’m hoping CD2 has the same feel as CD2 of Metamatic which feels like an album in it’s own right and isn’t just a bunch of tracks put together. The previously unreleased track and unreleased versions are almost a mini-album in their own right.
It does indeed - we've made every effort to ensure that all of the 'second discs' from the forthcoming editions of The Garden, The Golden Section and In Mysterious Ways (as well as Glimmer) all function like albums in their own right.

[/b]
This is great stuff! However I might be tempted to just copy:

Fog
(previously unreleased)
Dance With Me (early version)
(previously unreleased)
A Woman on a Stairway (early version)
(previously unreleased)
Fusion / Fission (early version)
(previously unreleased)
Miles Away (alternative version)
(from the "Burning Car" Japanese mini-album)
My Wild Love (early version)
(previously unreleased)
A Long Time (alternative version)
(previously unreleased)
Sitting at the Edge of the World (alternative version)
(previously unreleased)
Twilight's Last Gleaming (early version)
(previously unreleased)
Running Across Thin Ice With Tigers (extended mix)
(previously unreleased)
Shine On Me
(previously unreleased)
The Hidden Man (alternative version)
(previously unreleased)
Endlessly (extended mix)
(previously unreleased)
Spin Away
(previously unreleased)
Enter the Angel (alternative version)
(previously unreleased)
To Be With You (alternative version)
(previously unreleased)
And the Sky
(previously unreleased)
Magic
(previously unreleased)
Shine On (alternative version)
(previously unreleased)
No-One Driving (early version)
Plaza (extended version)
Burning Car (Dubterror / Karborn mix)

onto a disc (or two) and go from there! Hope this is ok wink

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Maybe you should reconsider buying the album? :p

C
C
After Metamatic 07, The Garden 08 is 'the' re-issue that I'm 'just a touch excited about' smile smile smile

Of course it'll be great to revisit CD1, but its the garden of CD2 that I'm eager to stroll down, with some path's familiar, and some newer...

Just wish it had been released during the summer, (what summer? frown ),
rather than in the chill of October

H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
After Metamatic 07, The Garden 08 is 'the' re-issue that I'm 'just a touch excited about' smile smile smile

Of course it'll be great to revisit CD1, but its the garden of CD2 that I'm eager to stroll down, with some path's familiar, and some newer...

Just wish it had been released during the summer, (what summer? frown ),
rather than in the chill of October
Call me a pedant but I'm pretty sure the original The Garden was released in October.
Just be thankful it's not a "30th Anniversary Edition" otherwise we'd have another 3 years to wait!

C
C
Quote:
Call me a pedant but I'm pretty sure the original The Garden was released in October.
hmm, my memory core banks may just be ghosting the past for me here! cos now I'm thinking you are correct.

I think I've just coloured the scene with the 'Europe After The Rain/This Jungle' single.
Ah well, its a summer I'll always remember, even if it is an implanted fiction smile

I first bought this album in December of '81.The B-side This Jungle always reminds me of summer though.

Just so you know, the album is now available for pre-order at Amazon...

John Foxx - The Garden 2008 Edition

smile

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Just be thankful it's not a "30th Anniversary Edition" otherwise we'd have another 3 years to wait!
Close enough. The Garden was originally released on 25th September 1981.

But, but that for me is the beginning of the best time of year. In recent years (since 1981...?) October has often been warmer and brighter than July. My annual holiday - always taken in the UK - is now almost always the October half term.
All the colours look brighter when then air has a crisp edge to it.

C
C
Quote:
Just wish it had been released during the summer, rather than in the chill of October
I really meant to say the forthcoming reissue, it would have been nice to have had it's return in the summertime, (though, wheres the summer gone?)

I think when I bought the original it was most likely at end of September, or beginning of October, as I was just starting a new term at Poly’.

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
(since 1981...?) October has often been warmer and brighter than July. My annual holiday - always taken in the UK - is now almost always the October half term.
All the colours look brighter when then air has a crisp edge to it.
When I lived in London, (some time ago), I’d definitely agree about a mild October, you can sometimes have the most unexpected clear blue, warm day there,
but here in Edinburgh its likely to be just as cold and grey as the summers now often are! smile

Just pre-ordered from zavvi.co.uk - £7 delivered!

Thanks for the info Mike... I just (pre) ordered The Garden & The Golden Section - £14 the lot... what a barg!

C
C
same here!

I've just pre-ordered The Garden (WOW!), Golden Section (Wheee!),
In Mysterious Ways (Boo, Hiss... only joking! laugh ), and Glimmer smile

so a 'listening overload' is scheduled for the autumn...

I pre-ordered Glimmer from Asda(!) a while back, for £5.43 including delivery! That is most definitely not a purchase strategy I could ever have predicted. laugh

I am so looking forward to The Garden reissue.
smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Ishikawa:
I pre-ordered Glimmer from Asda(!) a while back, for £5.43 including delivery!
eek

Quote:
I am so looking forward to The Garden reissue.
smile
.....and 'TGS' will be your first time into some of its b-sides M.

Yes, I am very excited about TGS also. Was just looking at my vinyls. smile smile

These 2 have such wonderful album art. I do miss that about vinyls. frown

OP Offline
The day is already 10 hours old - C'MON POSTIE! WHERE'S ME DAMN ALBUMS!!!!! mad

Just come home from work in eager anticipation there would be 3 packages awaiting me .... but to no avail frown .

Oh well, Here's hoping for tomorrow...

OP Offline
WO-HOOO! They're here! The Garden is on now

briefly - WOW! Gorgeous booklet as well!

More later - I'm off to crank up the volume laugh

Quote:
More later - I'm off to crank up the volume laugh
Reports on 'Swimmer 3 + 4' when your ready Garry!! wink

Bah... still nothing here. frown

Oh well. Tomorrow then. I hope.

Not here for me either. frown

Well,after impressing me by delivering Glommer on the Sat they've now depressed me by NOT sending The Garden yet(at least I've not recieved it yet)

C
C
? how can they get it to me here in Edinburgh today, and not to you in Clydebank Will? :rolleyes:

...or wee me in East Kilbride?

Probably a postal service thing. Or not.

laugh

C
C
well, mr postman came to the door, stuck only an envelope through, and then walked off!

he came back a few minutes later with the package!
...perhaps he knew, hmm...

Dunno.as i said Glimmer came the Sat before so why The Garden is late I don't know

Still no flippin' CDs...

mad

This is gettin' annoyin'.

wink

It's actually only three days since the shipping notification, but seems like weeks. We're spoilt with e-commerce these days... expecting things to pop through the door within hours of ordering.

C
C
Quote:
Still no flippin' CDs...

mad

This is gettin' annoyin'.
nothing yet?

"thats diabolical !"

(did you zavvi your purchases?)

Nothing here in Chicago, either mad but last week I noticed that Townsend debited my card on Monday and I got "Glimmer" in Thursday's mail. I checked my bank statement and see Townsend debited my card for "The Garden" and "TGS" yesterday, so maybe I will get these Thursday of this week. I realize now that all of my bitching and moaning is a bit silly, because that's pretty amazingly speedy for overseas. Still, when you're waiting, it seems like forever . . .

Quote:
If you mean did I (pre)order from Zavvi, then yes. smile

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Lele:
when you're waiting, it seems like forever . . .
Quote:
Quote:
If you mean did I (pre)order from Zavvi, then yes. smile
I think I've just been lucky with zavvi, they probably had more orders than they maybe had stock.
I decided not to delay anymore about getting new CD releases by John, afterall I didn't get TPOE, and CAB until I got back on board with From Trash :rolleyes:

Still no cd frown

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Still no cd frown
bloody Hell :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Well,after impressing me by delivering Glommer
I don't know that one, Will. Is it any good? wink

It's more upbeat than Glummer, but not as showy as Glammer.

H
H
My order for all 3 CD reissues from Amazon turned up this morning, after I ordered them on Friday.

At work all day so I shan't get a chance to listen till this evening, but I'll report back tomorrow.....

Quote:
It's more upbeat than Glummer, but not as showy as Glammer.
laugh laugh laugh Now, thats funny!!!!

:p

No matter how hard I tried, I could not get anywhere near a "Glemmer" quip. It just doesn't exist, not in my Universe anyway.

BTW, my CDs finally arrived today!!! (...he says, after waiting a whole four days for them) laugh

C
C
Quote:
...my CDs finally arrived today!!! laugh
you must be Glimming from ear to ear

.....or at least a big grim. laugh

Is it Style before Glammer or Glammer before Style confused smile

C
C
Quote:
Is it Style before Glammer or Glammer before Style confused smile
I think a guy called John has the answer to all of this,

"Glamour, Glimmer, Sparkle, Shimmer..."

at least that's what he says in 'Cities Of Light 5'

smile

Any proper views on this one yet, as it is the only one I am actually tempted to buy...
Herbert? RadioB? others?

C
C
"And there's silence in your silver passing..."

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Any proper views on this one yet...
Yes, I'm also surprised by the quiet response!
I'm working my way through the other '2' remasters first before coming to The Garden, well, I like to save the best for last smile

Quote:
I'm working my way through the other '2' remasters first before coming to The Garden, well, I like to save the best for last smile
Same here... tonight is my "Garden" night.

Administrator
Administrator
I'd have to say the same thing.

I got these three albums and Glimmer on Tuesday. It's only Thursday! For me, it takes several listens to really get an idea of what's going on, appreciate an album etc etc - and these re-masters are no exception despite their 'familiarity'.

Also must confess I played my favourite first. :p

And listen to other stuff by other people that I've already had waiting for weeks.

And combed, the cat, cooked the food, shaved the kids, went to work, met friends in the pub...

What is it with Life? Too often it gets in the way of listening to decent music!!!

OP Offline
This is my favourite Foxx album ever, so i'll admit from the start that any thoughts on here are completely coloured by that fact.

First the booklet. Well, the revamped booklet takes the limited edition Church book into account wonderfully (thank you Rob, thank you Cerise, thank you Mr Paul Agar wherever you are thankyouthankyouthankyou – why can’t all re-issues get the love you lot give them? Etcetcetc).

It's sad and anorak I know, but if the goldfish weren't there I'd of killed millions...well I'd of complained a lot...maybe just sulked a bit. The goldfish are there! Everything is alright with the world, phew.

You could get a rough idea how the album sounds from Glimmer. Musically thankfully, there’s no surprises - the album is just as it was. I noticed that the fade out to Walk Away now has a slight bass rumble as well as the soaring string line at the very end, but that may have been there all along – just not noticed it before on the original Virgin CD issue or the original vinyl and cassette issues.

I know what Lele means about stereo panning on Dancing Like A Gun* – but I’m really unsure if this is any different to the original vinyl and subsequent CD issue. Some guitar and vocals do appear prominently on the left channel and there was similar stereo panning on other tracks originally (the kick drum on Night Suit for example) that infer that the panning is indeed panning and not drop-out. The audio-savvy among you can fight it out – I’m just going to grab a nice bottle of wine and listen again at sunset.

‘Dress discarded’ in the The Garden, we head over to the bonus disc – and what a bloody wonderful bonus disc it is. So good, that it takes repeated playing, especially of tracks 6 – 10 to really appreciate it.

Fog is a beautiful sleepy piano-like bleep piece with small elements of percussion – it reminds me of the beautiful and haunting piano piece Promenade Sentimentale from the 1981 movie Diva. Clocking in at six minutes it slowly builds, strings coming in so quietly you hardly notice.

If you’ve not heard Swimmer III and Swimmer IV (previously titled The Quiet Man 3 and The Quiet Man 4 and only available on the much sought after Touch Meridans cassettes) before you’re in for a treat. Cleaned up, these two proto- Cathedral Oceans tracks are allowed to fly a little higher than the tape hiss originals. Just listening to Fog, Swimmer III and Swimmer IV is an experience in itself – knowing that these early explorations into the more ambient side of things, was just around the corner. Fog would easily have slipped onto Tiny Colour Movies (yes, it’s that good) and no one would of noticed.

Dance With Me is very similar to the original, just a bit stripped back and some re-shuffling where things come in.

A Woman on a Stairway is beautiful. It’s a more understated recording compared to the original that appeared on The Golden Section cassette. The strings sound slightly filtered giving the impression they’re being communiqué’d from a vintage 1940s radio – well in my head at any rate.

The version of Fusion / Fission is just another take from The Garden sessions and not as some had thought, an earlier Metamatic-era version.

There’s a really haunting quality to the bonus disc; it drifts in on Fog and whispers out again on A Woman on a Stairway.

Right – I’m off to go waltzing through the crowd, while all the skies go tumbling down.

Gazza

*see Glimmer thread

Administrator
Administrator
Bl**dy h*ll!

Just raise the 'review' stakes, why doncha??? eek

Well written Garry, thanks for sharing. Nice one cool

OP Offline
Cheers Martin! And apologies also wink

I know I am getting very carried away! laugh

Administrator
Administrator
It's great to witness.

I'll 'see' your Garden and IMW and raise you a Golden Section wink

Dont apply for a job in the music press Garry. Your becoming just too qualified.

OP Offline
Quote:
It's great to witness.

I'll 'see' your Garden and IMW and raise you a Golden Section wink
Ha!ha!ha! Brilliant! laugh

Mine is just one train of thought – looking forward to reading yours as always!

Quote:
Dont apply for a job in the music press Garry. Your becoming just too qualified.
Heh! Cheers Newvox!
laugh

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Ha!ha!ha! Brilliant! laugh

Mine is just one train of thought – looking forward to reading yours as always!
Looking forward to writing them!!! Just gotta find time to play the d*mn things first eek

Very enjoyable and entertaining review, Garry! Again, many thanks! I am hopeful that my CDs will be in my mailbox tonight so I can compare my impressions to yours.
Quote:

What is it with Life? Too often it gets in the way of listening to decent music!!!
Isn't that the truth! smile

I too am looking forward to your reviews whenever you get the chance, Martin. Take your time, make sure the cat is combed and the kids are -- did you say "shaved"? eek Hmm . . . sounds like things are truly getting crazy over there! Hope you get the chance to relax soon.

M
M
Yet again another very entertaining & simply bloody excellent review in every way. Thanks RadioBeach!

Administrator
Administrator
What do we know about 'Fog'?

Granted its all the things Garry said and more - its postively Eastern eek .
Is there even the remotest hint of anything to do with Dead can Dance/John Bonnar?

I think I like it, but its certainly curve ball...

AND

I'm formulating a new opinion that perhaps A Woman On A Stairway might be the best song John has ever written.
I remember we discussed this on the 'hidden and other tracks thread' and I expressed my love of it then, but the version on here is absolutely staggering cool

Yes, 'A Woman On A Stairway' is staggering.
I would go along with it being at least the best of 'TGS' extra tracks. Not sure its hes best song ever. Probably should have been in its rightful place on the original vinyl album though.

IT'S HERE!!! I won't get to listen to it now till tomorrow morning but looking forward to it loads!!

C
C
Quote:

it takes several listens to really get an idea of what's going on, appreciate an album etc etc - and these re-masters are no exception despite their 'familiarity'.

Yep, I feel also I should try to do them all some justice, afterall, back in the day I looked forward expectantly to each release, and bearing in mind that they all generate a spectrum of opinion, some more than others laugh I want to have an honest reaction towards what I'm hearing, if possible smile

Quote:

This is my favourite Foxx album ever, so i'll admit from the start that any thoughts on here are completely coloured by that fact.

Arrgh, the agony!

yes, but it's me commenting on Not being able to listen to The Garden laugh

RadioBeach, can I call you Garry? I had to stop reading your exciting review after a few lines, as I am so eager about hearing this 2CD release, and no, this is not an album I need to hear 'cold', in fact it's too hot, too damn hot! and I've got to stay true to the course and work my way through the other '2' first, be good and not be tempted to sneak away for a bit of 'Gardening' smile

like you, it's my favourite Foxx album ever, and firmly in my top ten fav' albums ever of all artist's, (if I kept such a list of course laugh )

Administrator
Administrator
OK, so I changed my mind. It's a day off doing some editorial work. Maybe later.
Second time through Disc 2 of The Garden at the moment.

It's brilliant.

The following has just burst forth from my pen. Not sure you'd call it a review as such, but what it is what it is...

It's time to walk again

The Garden (disc 2) by birdsong

At the end of The Garden there's a crumbling wall. Look carefully among the ivy when the evening sunlight falls and you will see a gate. Partially decayed and fragile, almost completely overgrown with brambles, but quite distinctly there. How come you haven't noticed this before?
Push gently at the splintered wood and the gate opens, swinging suddenly away from you and into the darkness beyond.
Stepping through the air is moist and heavy. A carpet of fallen leaves from many autumns lies thick on the uneven ground, and you stumble through into that which lies beyond. A place of remembered beauty called Disc 2.

No one has been here for years, and the shafts of twilight remain unbroken like film beams, falling on clusters of roots and tangled vegetation, among which are the softened edges of crumbling gravestones. There is strange birdsong, and the occasional rustle of a terrified mammal. You gently brush a cobweb from an inscription, and read the name of a lover you once knew. A hidden music begins to play, drums roll, and a voice curiously familiar, sings of uncertain avenues, dissolved streets and ghostly perfume. Upwards to roses. Rich strings. And higher - synths and dissonant guitars. There are layers upon layers of texture and memory here in this jungle, this other place. A man could get lost.
Standing in the stillness, listening to the whispered conversation of old friends on a sudden passing breeze, you become aware of an oriental woman forming away to your left beside a huge tropical flower stem. She is wearing a simple white dress, wet with rain, and in a moment it becomes vaguely apparent that she is standing in the mist of a vast, silent fountain. A rhythm track kicks in from nowhere. 'Dance with Me', she says, holding out her smiling hands in a gesture of longing. Gently, she moves, shimmering, becoming more solid as she moves towards you out of the hazy light.
She laughs, and her voice is a piano. You dance, spinning slowly at first, then faster, and you laugh too. Aloud. Round and round, kicking up the leaves. Now spinning. You've been here before, but things were different then. This is the one time when everything feels right - dreamy and cool. There is more definition in some of the edges, and less in others. You remember the sweetness of the dark fruit on some of the trees, and the bitterness of older berries.

Your pirouette quickens and you fall, tripping again over another of those fallen headstones. A torn veil of youth slips from the branch on which it has been caught for years, dissolving into the dust of thousands of pages that rot among the leaves on the ground. The woman's shadow passes over you and its suddenly warm. You roll gently onto your back, resting your head against the stone - and sleep. And quietly, back on the other side of the wall, the sunset fades.

This is The Garden in full bloom. Sunlight, stardust and silver.
You are there.

Don't these artsy fartsy reviews get on yer tits?

Pretentious,moi?
The remasters are tops man.

There... that covers it. laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by MintyTux:
Don't these artsy fartsy reviews get on yer tits?

Pretentious,moi?
The remasters are tops man.

There... that covers it. laugh
Agreed. laugh

Administrator
Administrator
The remastering brings out the brass section on 'A Long Time' quite nicely and its good to see that (at last) Duncan Bridgeman gets credited with that

C
C
Quote:
Second time through Disc 2 of The Garden at the moment...
...It's brilliant
Arrgh, the agony!

yes, it's me still commenting on Not getting around to listen to The Garden.

Great that its setting off some train of thought and inspiration for you while listening to the CD, I’ve also found the original album to be a very escapist experience myself once?, twice?, oh ok, hundred's of times in the past laugh

But I still can’t go along that haunted path yet, no gardening for me, I’ve got to work my way through the tangled undergrowth of IMW before I can get towards it laugh

Actually on "When I was A Man And You Were A Woman" around the '2.30' mark there seems to be drop out just after the words "foggy bar", this was not evident on the 1st or second issue.
A Bit like Metamatic really. "He's A Liquid" Perfect on 1st issue but 2nd had the drop put, or tape crumble, very poor transfer actually, this was fixed again for the 3rd issue. However "A New Kind Of Man" Still has the drop out experienced on the 2nd issue on the 3rd, strangely the first issue is again perfect. confused

F
F
Swimmer 3 and Swimmer 4 and Fog are lovely!

Any reviews done by the official press? Q, Mojo etc...?

T
T
Impression 1 (extra tracks only):

Not convinced by "Fog". Yet.

Quote:
Impression 1 (extra tracks only):

:rolleyes: Wash yer lugs out chum, "Fog" is classic Foxx.
Good to see Swimmer I & II being titled correctly this time laugh

The two "Swimmer" tracks sound magnificent in their restored glory. Really nice stuff.

"Fog" is different to what I was expecting (though I'm not entirely sure what that was) but it's a classic bit of Foxxy instrumentation nonetheless.

The early/alternate versions do little for me. They just sound like demo versions of the final tracks.

Quote:
Agreed. Unlike most Foxx tracks, i cant find myself getting lost in it yet.

Eventually my remasters arrived by snail mail.

I liked Fog on first hearing. It's one of those tracks that grabbed me straight away. Couldn't believe I had to wait 25 years + to hear this.

It was nice to have clear versions of Swimmer 111 and IV. I enjoyed the early version of Dance With Me as I think john puts his heart and soul into his vocals on this song. (both versions)

I think the second disc is really a fan only recording as "joe" public wouldn't be that bothered, perfering to own just the original album. Anyway I'm glad John made these tracks available to make a definitive album of the Garden era.

It was a good idea to include The Church booklet within the notes. I'm glad I own the original 12" booklet from the vinyl release.

Peter smile

Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
I liked Fog on first hearing. It's one of those tracks that grabbed me straight away.
Well, ive given it several listens now. No longer does is go on too long with little variation, which was my first thoughts of this track. I can still see why it was never chosen in the days for vinyl release though, unlike some of the great unheard tracks from 'TGS' extras.

I have to say I really like Fog. Rarely have I heard a more atmospheric instrumental. I think it would have fitted quite nicely into the soundtrack of John Carpenters The Fog laugh

T
T
I also like 'Fog', it's immediately engaging. But as it's quite long it might have been even better with just a little more development.

H
H
Quote:
I also like 'Fog', it's immediately engaging. But as it's quite long it might have been even better with just a little more development.
Do you mean it ought to have been shorter?

T
T
My "Fog" is lifting a bit with each play.

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Halloway:
Quote:
[b] I also like 'Fog', it's immediately engaging. But as it's quite long it might have been even better with just a little more development.
Do you mean it ought to have been shorter? [/b]
As it is, yes, I think it would probably be more effective if it was a bit shorter. Though not much! But ideally for me John would've retained the length and introduced something more noticeably new or a twist or a turn at about the three minute mark.

C
C
eek I still haven’t listened to the Garden remaster yet (I said that bit quietly) but I wanted to share this email I received this morning from my best old friend.

Quote:

"Hi Geo,
Bloody Hell !

Just listened to "The Garden" on the way into work on my ipod (it is the 2 disc digital remaster).
1/ I'd forgotten that it was so dance orientated
2/ That for all the pastoral cover and Church book only really the last track relates to the album art (ok Paternoster & The Garden)
3/ That I remembered every track once they played.
4/ How bloody Good it was !"!!"

I ‘subjected’ him to hearing The Garden a lot when I first met him, way back then, and he’s never heard any post 1998 John & Louis work, (he’s not exactly into electro). The last time he actually listened to the Garden was in ’87, but unknown to me he went and bought himself a new copy this week.
I’ve just ordered TGS online for him as a surprise pressy, hope it has the same effect smile

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.