Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#20594 03/02/10 10:36 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:

technically the brilliant Scritti Politti fall into this category as green Gartside is from S Wales
I tried in vain to ponder Welsh bands before your post self-destructed at midnight Ivan, thanks however for resurrecting Mr Green in my mind, it kept me up very late last night and had me ‘YouTubeing the old Scritti’ laugh

The thunderous musical majesty of Absolute, and the angelically sung ”the first time baby that I came to you” were ringing through my mind as I slipped into my jim-jams, how can a man sing like that? Fellow Welshmen Sir Harry Secombe and Tom Jones never sounded or looked as sweet.

I well remember watching 80’s Top Of The Pops and Mr Green’s appearance with his new Laydee-Mane look, or as one media wag said at the time, ”Green’s doing a James Brown and embracing his feminine side”, ah, those innocent days of ginger pop and gender-bending, today its only the women pop stars who sport Big Hair Nests (step forward Ms Gaga), it’s all long gone nowadays (as Radiobeach points out), replaced today by an Eddie Izzard chin stroking serious-beardy.

The search for Welsh greatness sent me back on a journey to one of the best 80’s sophistipop album’s that I used to own (and lost) on cassette tape, and today I got it back (Yay!) on shiny CD for a measly £3 - Cupid & Psyche 85’ how can such genius come at such a low price, it’s a crime, not that I’m complaining mind smile

#20595 03/03/10 08:40 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
[b] The Alarm! laugh
MEMBS Before I opened your reply ; I had money on it being Bonnie Tyler or Windsor Davies /Don Estelle !
I'll leave you with the bestest record ever made by a Welsh Artiste , never fails to make me misty eyed (I've got many reasons too , 68 a horrible year indeed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg
Laters
Ifan [/b]
Well if you're talkin' sexy songstresses chez Cymru then how can we omit the mighty Dame Shirley ...who (like our good selves, Signor Ivan) is/was not without Italic connections ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1Zmz70PkM

..and further re-purposed for the modern age by those trendy chaps Wall of Sound / Propellerheads ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE_1tCasi_Q

Cymru am Byth!

#20596 03/03/10 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:

[b]technically the brilliant Scritti Politti fall into this category as green Gartside is from S Wales
I tried in vain to ponder Welsh bands before your post self-destructed at midnight Ivan, thanks however for resurrecting Mr Green in my mind, it kept me up very late last night and had me ‘YouTubeing the old Scritti’ laugh

...today I got it back (Yay!) on shiny CD for a measly £3 - Cupid & Psyche 85’ how can such genius come at such a low price, it’s a crime, not that I’m complaining mind smile [/b]
Core - They’re probably selling off the original Cupid & Psyche ’85 CDs cheap as it may get the re-mastering treatment later this year – depending on how well Absolute: the Best of Scritti Politti does when it’s released in May.

Ifan - The more I hear that Mary Hopkirk song, the more east European it sounds!

Ankst Records? No idea guv - sorry!

#20597 03/03/10 10:29 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
They’re probably selling off the original Cupid & Psyche ’85 CDs cheap as it may get the re-mastering treatment later this year –
thanks for the info smile I was going to also buy Songs To Remember, maybe now I'll hold off to see what happens with any future re-releases, (depends how long I have to wait!)

#20598 03/03/10 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:
[b]They’re probably selling off the original Cupid & Psyche ’85 CDs cheap as it may get the re-mastering treatment later this year –
thanks for the info smile I was going to also buy Songs To Remember, maybe now I'll hold off to see what happens with any future re-releases, (depends how long I have to wait!) [/b]
Such a great album - this thread had me listening to it in the sunshine yesterday afternoon;

"Let 'im gooooooooooooooooo, 'cause he is rockin'..."

Amen to that.

#20599 03/03/10 10:59 AM
I
OP Offline
I
So Scritti Politti will play the Manic Street Preachers at The Millenium, Stadium Cardiff Both had scares getting there
with Green Gartside and teammates just scraping past Gorky's Zygotic Mwmki on penalties and The Manics needed two replays to see of Valleys rivals The Stereophonics Kerry Jones was eventualy red -carded . (For crimes against music) Before kick off Cerys Matthews will lead the community singing with "Saucepan Bach " and first winners "Man " (1971) will do a lap of honour on the pitch
MEMBS Check out Burly Chassis ' work with Yello early 80's , impeccable . Associate's member Billy McKenzie also features
CORES I hereby appoint you Scotland's Minister of Taste Cupid and Psyche is a masterwerk as is Provision You won't be disappointed by "Songs to Remember " either "Sweetest Girl " is incredible He even namechecks Jacques Derrida on the album

#20600 03/04/10 11:24 AM
Manics grunt and whine and throw some star jumps for the first half – veins popping on the neck of James Dean Bradfield as he tries to remember the words, play and sing at the same time – it’s been 20 years and he’s still not quite got the hang of it yet.

Green saunters on – his tactic is to strum an acoustic guitar and sing Jaques Derrida – he sweetly sings “To err is to be human, to forgive is too divine. I was like an industry; depressed and in decline” 1-0 to Scritto’s Republic.

Manics looking a bit feeble. Full on attack from Green now – the band saunter in and the drum machine to Lions After Slumber starts up. Manics realise it’s a Tortoise and the Hare set-up and they’re the Hare. Nicky Wire settles on a life of wish fulfilment and decides to become a cleaner.

#20601 03/04/10 11:32 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Quote:
Manics grunt and whine and throw some star jumps for the first half – veins popping on the neck of James Dean Bradfield as he tries to remember the words, play and sing at the same time – it’s been 20 years and he’s still not quite got the hang of it yet.

Green saunters on – his tactic is to strum an acoustic guitar and sing Jaques Derrida – he sweetly sings “To err is to be human, to forgive is too divine. I was like an industry; depressed and in decline” 1-0 to Scritto’s Republic.

Manics looking a bit feeble. Full on attack from Green now – the band saunter in and the drum machine to Lions After Slumber starts up. Manics realise it’s a Tortoise and the Hare set-up and they’re the Hare. Nicky Wire settles on a life of wish fulfilment and decides to become a cleaner.
Arf and Double Arf Excellent stuff my trusty gregario Only 5 days into March and that's a contender for Metamatic Post of the Month !
(If there was one , get it sorted Rob !)

#20602 03/22/10 10:44 PM
Q
Q
Lone Star-anyone?

#20603 03/23/10 09:49 AM
Hmm.
Favourite.
"Welsh band".
Nope.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.