Metamatic
Posted By: Ivan Basso Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/10 08:33 PM
Manic Street Preachers
just edging out
Catatonia and Super Furry Animals for me

Dydd Dewi Sant Hapus
Dafydd

This post will self destruct at midnight !!
Posted By: fons Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/10 08:54 PM
Underworld cool
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/10 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by fons:
Underworld cool
Good shout I suppose technically the brilliant Scritti Politti fall into this category as green Gartside is from S Wales
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/10 09:08 AM
I'd have to go with Scritti and Underworld. I did like the Manics (up to and including Holy Bible-era) but hearing them these days is like watching your dad dancing on top of a tea crate at Speaker's Corner
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/10 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
I'd have to go with Scritti and Underworld. I did like the Manics (up to and including Holy Bible-era) but hearing them these days is like watching your dad dancing on top of a tea crate at Speaker's Corner
Any band that pays homage to Antonio Gramsci is ok by me Have you seen Green Gartside lately gone from being a Torres type lady- boy to looking like a prop forward for Maesteg still making "Cool toons " as the youngsters say . I shall attempt to McGarriglise you in the near future
As a taster this like gem A massive hit for Linda Ronstadt Unfortunately I can't find the swimming song written by Kate's ex and Rufus' arl fella Lowdon Wainright (some roman numeral , the third I think )
Lovely as it is , their best work is in French
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Enc8KEzdYY&feature=related
I'm still seething that the Inland Revenue did not listen to my anonymous phone call and get down The Lane on Sunday mad
I 'm arfing at your dancing reference Good work Radler . Only the children of Lionel Blair would disagree .
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/10 01:23 PM
True, Strohmeyer’s unlikely to be entering any more Princess Di-lookalike competitions – but that’s okay because White Bread, Black Beer was a really good album!

Cheers for the link – I’ve heard that before but never knew who it was.

‘Arry’s alright! Um….until the end of the season at least – not sure what’s happening in the corridors of Her Majesty’s power regarding his piggy bank though.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/10 03:34 PM
The Alarm! laugh
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/10 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
The Alarm! laugh
MEMBS Before I opened your reply ; I had money on it being Bonnie Tyler or Windsor Davies /Don Estelle !
Seriously The Alarm not bad Gogs (North Welsh) so bona fide Scousers Apparently , Mike Peters being from Rhyl , used to frequent Eric's (40 mile journey)
RADS Like your Lady Di/Green Gartside analogy !
By the way my trusty gregario Milan -San Remo a mere 2 weeks away . I hope to grab a slice of the action Btw The McGarrigles should be joining you soon The other sister Anna is also very talented Apart from singing beautiful songs in English and French she has portrayed the role of Gail Tyldsley/Platt etc in "Coronation Street "for the last 57 years or so !
THe BOTH OF YOU Remember John "Peely" Peel playing all those Welsh artists on Ankst Records (Think it's Welsh for Angst) ?
I'll leave you with the bestest record ever made by a Welsh Artiste , never fails to make me misty eyed (I've got many reasons too , 68 a horrible year indeed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg
Laters
Ifan
Posted By: nightporter Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/10 09:19 PM
Manics for me although not so keen anymore lost it a bit for me.
Posted By: Brian Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/10 09:35 PM
Manics for me as well but I've gone off them recently.Old stuff up to 1996 were the good times.
Posted By: core memory Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/10 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:

technically the brilliant Scritti Politti fall into this category as green Gartside is from S Wales
I tried in vain to ponder Welsh bands before your post self-destructed at midnight Ivan, thanks however for resurrecting Mr Green in my mind, it kept me up very late last night and had me ‘YouTubeing the old Scritti’ laugh

The thunderous musical majesty of Absolute, and the angelically sung ”the first time baby that I came to you” were ringing through my mind as I slipped into my jim-jams, how can a man sing like that? Fellow Welshmen Sir Harry Secombe and Tom Jones never sounded or looked as sweet.

I well remember watching 80’s Top Of The Pops and Mr Green’s appearance with his new Laydee-Mane look, or as one media wag said at the time, ”Green’s doing a James Brown and embracing his feminine side”, ah, those innocent days of ginger pop and gender-bending, today its only the women pop stars who sport Big Hair Nests (step forward Ms Gaga), it’s all long gone nowadays (as Radiobeach points out), replaced today by an Eddie Izzard chin stroking serious-beardy.

The search for Welsh greatness sent me back on a journey to one of the best 80’s sophistipop album’s that I used to own (and lost) on cassette tape, and today I got it back (Yay!) on shiny CD for a measly £3 - Cupid & Psyche 85’ how can such genius come at such a low price, it’s a crime, not that I’m complaining mind smile
Posted By: MemberD Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/03/10 08:40 AM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] The Alarm! laugh
MEMBS Before I opened your reply ; I had money on it being Bonnie Tyler or Windsor Davies /Don Estelle !
I'll leave you with the bestest record ever made by a Welsh Artiste , never fails to make me misty eyed (I've got many reasons too , 68 a horrible year indeed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg
Laters
Ifan [/b]
Well if you're talkin' sexy songstresses chez Cymru then how can we omit the mighty Dame Shirley ...who (like our good selves, Signor Ivan) is/was not without Italic connections ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1Zmz70PkM

..and further re-purposed for the modern age by those trendy chaps Wall of Sound / Propellerheads ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE_1tCasi_Q

Cymru am Byth!
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/03/10 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:

[b]technically the brilliant Scritti Politti fall into this category as green Gartside is from S Wales
I tried in vain to ponder Welsh bands before your post self-destructed at midnight Ivan, thanks however for resurrecting Mr Green in my mind, it kept me up very late last night and had me ‘YouTubeing the old Scritti’ laugh

...today I got it back (Yay!) on shiny CD for a measly £3 - Cupid & Psyche 85’ how can such genius come at such a low price, it’s a crime, not that I’m complaining mind smile [/b]
Core - They’re probably selling off the original Cupid & Psyche ’85 CDs cheap as it may get the re-mastering treatment later this year – depending on how well Absolute: the Best of Scritti Politti does when it’s released in May.

Ifan - The more I hear that Mary Hopkirk song, the more east European it sounds!

Ankst Records? No idea guv - sorry!
Posted By: core memory Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/03/10 10:29 AM
Quote:
They’re probably selling off the original Cupid & Psyche ’85 CDs cheap as it may get the re-mastering treatment later this year –
thanks for the info smile I was going to also buy Songs To Remember, maybe now I'll hold off to see what happens with any future re-releases, (depends how long I have to wait!)
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/03/10 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:
[b]They’re probably selling off the original Cupid & Psyche ’85 CDs cheap as it may get the re-mastering treatment later this year –
thanks for the info smile I was going to also buy Songs To Remember, maybe now I'll hold off to see what happens with any future re-releases, (depends how long I have to wait!) [/b]
Such a great album - this thread had me listening to it in the sunshine yesterday afternoon;

"Let 'im gooooooooooooooooo, 'cause he is rockin'..."

Amen to that.
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/03/10 10:59 AM
So Scritti Politti will play the Manic Street Preachers at The Millenium, Stadium Cardiff Both had scares getting there
with Green Gartside and teammates just scraping past Gorky's Zygotic Mwmki on penalties and The Manics needed two replays to see of Valleys rivals The Stereophonics Kerry Jones was eventualy red -carded . (For crimes against music) Before kick off Cerys Matthews will lead the community singing with "Saucepan Bach " and first winners "Man " (1971) will do a lap of honour on the pitch
MEMBS Check out Burly Chassis ' work with Yello early 80's , impeccable . Associate's member Billy McKenzie also features
CORES I hereby appoint you Scotland's Minister of Taste Cupid and Psyche is a masterwerk as is Provision You won't be disappointed by "Songs to Remember " either "Sweetest Girl " is incredible He even namechecks Jacques Derrida on the album
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/04/10 11:24 AM
Manics grunt and whine and throw some star jumps for the first half – veins popping on the neck of James Dean Bradfield as he tries to remember the words, play and sing at the same time – it’s been 20 years and he’s still not quite got the hang of it yet.

Green saunters on – his tactic is to strum an acoustic guitar and sing Jaques Derrida – he sweetly sings “To err is to be human, to forgive is too divine. I was like an industry; depressed and in decline” 1-0 to Scritto’s Republic.

Manics looking a bit feeble. Full on attack from Green now – the band saunter in and the drum machine to Lions After Slumber starts up. Manics realise it’s a Tortoise and the Hare set-up and they’re the Hare. Nicky Wire settles on a life of wish fulfilment and decides to become a cleaner.
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/04/10 11:32 AM
Quote:
Manics grunt and whine and throw some star jumps for the first half – veins popping on the neck of James Dean Bradfield as he tries to remember the words, play and sing at the same time – it’s been 20 years and he’s still not quite got the hang of it yet.

Green saunters on – his tactic is to strum an acoustic guitar and sing Jaques Derrida – he sweetly sings “To err is to be human, to forgive is too divine. I was like an industry; depressed and in decline” 1-0 to Scritto’s Republic.

Manics looking a bit feeble. Full on attack from Green now – the band saunter in and the drum machine to Lions After Slumber starts up. Manics realise it’s a Tortoise and the Hare set-up and they’re the Hare. Nicky Wire settles on a life of wish fulfilment and decides to become a cleaner.
Arf and Double Arf Excellent stuff my trusty gregario Only 5 days into March and that's a contender for Metamatic Post of the Month !
(If there was one , get it sorted Rob !)
Posted By: quietrumrunnerman Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/22/10 10:44 PM
Lone Star-anyone?
Posted By: NerveJam Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/23/10 09:49 AM
Hmm.
Favourite.
"Welsh band".
Nope.
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/11 07:47 AM
Bore Da !
It's that time of year again I'm Welsh by default has my nan came from Ynys Mon (Anglesey) and was a Welsh speaker I also share a name with the "Saint du Jour" and attended a Welsh course in the Rhonnda Valley in the mid 80's Great people ;great place . I actually attended 7 hours of Welsh course and learnt absolutely "Dimm " shocked
Anyway , an excuse to revisit the genius of Green Gartside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnz3ehO_aH4
The magnificent Manics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTKmFLFNRnE
The lovely Cerys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8uFlTC8FMw
Gruff Rhys and his brilliant fellow head-the-balls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzHLTy33qWM
Anyway if any of the proper Welsh forum members chance upon this post maybe you'd like to bring us all up to speed with what happening musically in The Principality
Diolch
Ifan smile
Posted By: MemberD Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/11 08:22 AM
Bore da and well done on reviving the thread on the appropriate day (pinch punch BTW) . .and as a 'son of Daffyd' (not the gay one Little Britain fans..) I s'pose I should participate in said daffodil fest albeit with a more traditional slant..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtX3M3SuKlQ

Hwyl am rwan
Posted By: core memory Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/11 10:41 AM
Ivan, after all the excellent choices posted I’m struggling to contribute anything as good, so I'm looking to the obscurities section, and as I know you like a tale, perhaps this guy might suffice - the Welsh singer Trom Bones (affectionately referred to as ‘Trombones’ by his fans). He’s not widely known on the music scene, but since the mid 1960s Trom Bones has sung many styles of popular music – pop, rock, R&B, show tunes, country, dance, techno, soul and gospel.

Born at 57 Kingsland Terrace, Treforest, Pontypridd in South Wales, his father Thomas Woodwind was a coal miner. The young Bones spent many years of yodeling in the bathroom, and singing to the mirror in his bedroom whilst holding a hairbrush (he has exceptionally tight curly dark locks), the years passed, and man and boy he became proficient at being a bedroom balladeer.

However, it was not until the advent of the internet and in particular YouTube that Bones started to sell his music. To date he has sold over at least 10 records to his mostly female fans, consisting of his aunty Bronwin, his cousin Myfanwy, and his dear mam Freda. This is a fractional amount of sales when compared to that other great Welsh singer, teen phenomenon Justin-Iestyn Bleddyn-Bieber, and although he may be falling behind on the money front, the ex-glove factory worker Trom Bones makes up for it with his embouchure (his vibrating lips) and his tromba-one (his large trumpet).

His record sales include the following:

’Its Not The Usual’” It's not the usual to see me cry, oh I want my Dai” -
a song about one mans love for another man, supposedly inspired by a crush the young Trom Bones had on David Van Day during the Dollar years.

’What's Up Pussycat?’
a song he wrote about Barbra Streisand after horribly mistaking her for Honor Blackman in the film Goldmember

'Ooh Delilah'”I saw the light on the night that I passed by her window, I saw the flickering shadow of love on her blind” -
a song he wrote in praise of Robin Askwith as Timmy Lea in the 1970's sex comedy film The Confessions Of A Window Cleaner.

’Green, Green Gas of Home’
a fundraising song he wrote in order to buy a gift-size box of Cadbury’s Celebrations for poor beleaguered Tony ‘I’m sorry, I’m… so sorry’ Hayward - the man the entire world and the league of intergalactic planets thinks is solely responsible for the nearly global environmental disaster BP Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill - after he forgot to keep that big sink-plug in place at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.

wink
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/11 11:35 AM
MEMBS Ti'n iawn? Good stuff So it was you that set my holiday caravan in Prestatyn on fire ? You rascally faux Welsh knave !
Joking apart aren't you from disputed border territory Lots of Welsh sounding names round Hereford/Henvord
CORES Excellent stuff Not the first time the Welsh Sex Bomb has been mentioned on here I mentioned him in my birthday sharing thread http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000426#000000
Give me the low down on Bonnie Tyler or is she still lost in France ? Btw Come 30 Nov You must initiate a similar Caledonian thread
My inner Paul Calfe hereby nominates this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udxbvHiqGw
Posted By: Stringy Bob Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/11 12:42 PM
Has everybody forgotten the magnificent Young Marble Giants , weren't they of the Welsh persuasion (says he being too lazy to Google it)? I had a couple of singles and the first (possibly only) album. Two of them also released material under the name of The Gist too, but that's a vague memory now. Must see if I can track down any of their material. Saw them live once supporting The Thompson Twins (in the early days when the TT's were still on an indie label). I seem to recall they were rather good. A friend of mine who was at the gig asked Tom Bailey of The Thompson Twins to sign his copy of 'Squares & Triangles' (7" single on aforementioned label) and he refused to autograph it but agreed to "scribble on it" which he promptly did!

P.S. My laziness has worn off and I have found they were indeed from Wales, Cardiff no less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Marble_Giants

Here's some of their stuff:

Colossal Youth (title track from the album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s0nHuLXb0s

Final Day (stonkingly good single)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngl-kx5ltEw

Ô¿Ô
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/11 07:48 PM
Does John Cale count? Otherwise, Underworld (but I thought they were from Essex?). Not a fan of the Manics ... never understood the attraction.
Posted By: The Quiet Trees Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/11 10:25 PM
Quote:
[QUOTE] They’re probably selling off the original Cupid & Psyche ’85 CDs cheap as it may get the re-mastering treatment later this year – depending on how well Absolute: the Best of Scritti Politti does when it’s released in May.
It was released yesterday.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Absolute-Scritt...98918970&sr=1-1

Though no tracks from White Bread, Black Beer. Perhaps there was a licensing issue, because otherwise it's an indefensible omission in terms of both quality and development. No remastering either, so I'm going to just download the two new tracks myself - the first in collaboration with David Gamson since Anomie and Bonhomie. cool

Scritti would get my first vote for Welsh greatness from me. Followed by John Cale.
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/03/11 08:36 AM
I can't remember which Swiss canton Pontypridd is in , but this is ace
A minute's worth of interview in German/English then Shirley , Dieter and Boris go for it big time
Enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIkLuuB3qgw
Posted By: MemberD Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/03/11 09:50 AM
Quote:
MEMBS Ti'n iawn? Good stuff So it was you that set my holiday caravan in Prestatyn on fire ? You rascally faux Welsh knave !
Joking apart aren't you from disputed border territory Lots of Welsh sounding names round Hereford/Henvord
Oh aye .. much as us border-folk are oft, in jest, referred to as 'those who derive carnal pleasure from intercourse with ovine beasts'..we have had our finer musical moments, spawning the founder (if ill-fated) members of post-punk combo The Pretenders, as well as "young dudes" Mott the Hoople.
More recent years have seen the rise of "starry eyed" songstress Elena "Ellie" Goulding, who has blessed us with (yet another) cover version of Elt's classic "Your Song"
(note to self: did we really need another cover of Your Song?').
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/03/11 12:58 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[b] MEMBS Ti'n iawn? Good stuff So it was you that set my holiday caravan in Prestatyn on fire ? You rascally faux Welsh knave !
Oh aye .. much as us border-folk are oft, in jest, referred to as 'those who derive carnal pleasure from intercourse with ovine beasts'..we have had our finer musical moments, spawning the founder (if ill-fated) members of post-punk combo The Pretenders, as well as "young dudes" Mott the Hoople.
More recent years have seen the rise of "starry eyed" songstress Elena "Ellie" Goulding, who has blessed us with (yet another) cover version of Elt's classic "Your Song"
(note to self: did we really need another cover of Your Song?'). [/b]
I love The Hoople
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNmC-ZT-Eak
Just remembered , isn't Mike Oldfield from round your way Hergest Ridge is in Herefordshire isn't it ?
Posted By: MemberD Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/03/11 01:05 PM
Aye, Hergest Ridge is border country (see Offa's Dyke) but Sir Mike of Oldfield is a foreigner to those parts .. probably never been back since his Ommadawn days.
Exegesis put a stop to that.
wink
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/12 12:51 PM
Not Welsh myself , but had a Welsh speaking granny ,share name with the saint du jour , so it's wall -to-wall SCRITTI POLITTI for this punter today !
Posted By: MemberD Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/12 12:54 PM
aaarggh .. had forgotten about Daffyyddd! .. now where did I put my daffolidil?

Cymru Am Byth!
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/12 01:39 PM

Happy St. Gartside Day people!
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/12 03:44 PM
Originally Posted By: RadioBeach

There's nice Radler Boyo !
Ifan Dafydd ap Bass
*In a Gareth Bale type voice *
Plus A joke for today
Patient: "Doctor Doctor I keep thihking I'm Tom Jones"
Doctor"Don't worry it's not unusual !"
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/12 12:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Ivan Basso

Ifan Dafydd ap Bass
Plus A joke for today

Heh! Very good! grin

Green's been tabbing the Guinness a bit innit? That shed actually holds the Farnborough Airshow - THAT'S how big he is.
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/12 08:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Ivan Basso

Ifan Dafydd ap Bass
Plus A joke for today

Heh! Very good! grin

Green's been tabbing the Guinness a bit innit? That shed actually holds the Farnborough Airshow - THAT'S how big he is.

ARF !
"THe Fattest Twat in all South Wales this shed is for you and 27 fighter planes only !"
Posted By: MemberD Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/02/12 10:40 AM
Aww c'mon. Show me the man who has become "leaner" in the past 30 years and I will show you .... my garden shed.*

*I haven't got one.

Tiny Colour Garden Shed
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Favourite Welsh band ? - 03/01/13 08:04 PM
Just remembered what day it is ! 78 rpm versions of CUPID AND PYSCHE and The HOLY BIBLE are going onto my gramophone !

*turns handle*
© Metamatic