Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Soft Cell's - What
Blancmange - The Day Before You Came
Visage - In The Year 2525
PSB - Always On My Mind
PSB - Go West

Just some off the top of my head that are better than the original.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Hunter:

Blancmange - The Day Before You Came
mmm, not sure about it being better although it is an excellent interpretation.

I
OP Offline
I
Canadian chanteuses send me weak at the knees Kate and Anna McGarrigle , their daughter/Niece Martha plus Martha of the Muffins fame and of course Queen Joni The album "Blue " is a stunner (with a name like that it couldn't fail smile ) yet these Scottish lads (from Dumfermeline like The Skids and Graham Sharpe , so must be one happening place) take this one particular track into a higher dimension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdgm676Af2c

Gosh, so much to agree and disagree with. Bowies 'China Girl' is rubbish next to Iggys, Ronsons 'Only After Dark'is much better than the Leagues but their 'Rock & Roll' is better than..........well, you know whose!! Agree with the comments re Bauhaus and Roxy/Ferry. One Bowie cover that outshines the original would have to be Icehouse's version of 'Loving The Alien'. Also Billy MacKenzies version of 'Wild Is The Wind' is the one for me. All IMO, naturally.

M
M
Thanks to Garry's posting about ZTT, Propaganda etc. It jogged my memory about a cover version far better than the jangly guitar sh**te of the original.

'Sorry For Laughing' - Propaganda.

Original was by Josef K

R
R
Midge Ure: No Regrets
Messengers: Andy Warhol

... actually, what do you think of a John Foxx / Midge Ure collaboration? I'm sure it would be an interesting musical composition, but how about John and Midge's vocals in duet ... wouldn't that be interesting?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Thanks to Garry's posting about ZTT, Propaganda etc. It jogged my memory about a cover version far better than the jangly guitar sh**te of the original.

'Sorry For Laughing' - Propaganda.

Original was by Josef K
Cheers Ilektrik! Another Propaganda cover was their version of Femme Fatale by the Velvet Underground. It was through covers of songs by the Velvet Underground (Japan's All Tomorrow's Parties and as mentioned above in this thread OMD's Waiting for the Man) that led me to getting VU's first album. It's quite an odd feeling playing an album that you've never heard before and already knowing almost half the songs on it!

I recently listened to the Propaganda's version of Femme Fatale and noticed that the words are slightly different. On the original Nico sings "Before you start, you're already beat" whereas Brücken sings "Before you start, you already bleed".

M
M
Oh Yeah! I forgot about 'Femme..'.

That's how I got it 'Velvet Underground' too.

Another cover version that is better, a very different from the original is Japan's cover of 'Ain't That Peculiar'. It's so beautiful

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Oh Yeah! I forgot about 'Femme..'.

That's how I got it 'Velvet Underground' too.

Another cover version that is better, a very different from the original is Japan's cover of 'Ain't That Peculiar'. It's so beautiful
Oh yeah! Japan's versions were so Japan that for years I never knew that some of them were covers! (I Second That Emotion - the 12" mix is beautiful, springs to mind).

And whilst writing about cover versions, someone's just sent me this link; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEvTfIyOLEk - it's Jack White (White Stripes) new band...and we're back to 1979 again!

M
M
QUOTE]And whilst writing about cover versions, someone's just sent me this link; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEvTfIyOLEk - it's Jack White (White Stripes) new band...and we're back to 1979 again! [/QB][/QUOTE]

Now that's brilliant! Absolutely love it!!!!

Tubeway Army meets Velvet Underground meets The Doors as the screamer cries eleven...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.