Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
OP Offline
I
Given the age I am , I'd love to lie through my teeth and say early Roxy Music Tangerine Dream or such like but....
(Adopts Oprah Winfrey/ Tricia show guest type voice and refers to oneself in third person)
"Ivan's got many faults, but He ain't no coward. He tells it like it is !)

so to deafening applause or hoots of derision ......................

Chicory Tip Son of my Father smile smile shocked

I now add damning visual evidence
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZCbgOCAhE

Jarre's "Oxygene part 2" ... still the greatest piece of electronic music ever made! To my ears anyway ;-)

I was about 3 years old, and it was an album my father would regularly play. It fascinated me, and still does to this day.

I
OP Offline
I
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Jarre's "Oxygene part 2" ... still the greatest piece of electronic music ever made! To my ears anyway ;-)

I was about 3 years old, and it was an album my father would regularly play. It fascinated me, and still does to this day.
Still sounds ace today . 31 years on ?

The Music for DR Who also Kraftwerk Autobahn & the Single Popcorn

I would have to steal, i mean agree with Dr Who as my first too. Along with non synth group (but used early ones) the beach boys.

Oh yeah, the Doctor WHo theme music!

Actually, my parents had the original Delia Derbyshire version on vinyl, so I used to listen tpo that, but as I also watched the show from about the age of 3, I fell in love with the 1980 Peter Howell Arrangement too, whichi still sounds good today.

I guess looking back that my first indroduction to synth music music is hearing The JM Jarre single Oxygene part 4. Never looked back since.

Peter

Earliest memories (of 1970s): I guess it would be the music of Yes. Rick Wakeman's keyboards and use of the minimoog hooked me.

I
OP Offline
I
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Earliest memories (of 1970s): I guess it would be the music of Yes. Rick Wakeman's keyboards and use of the minimoog hooked me.
Saw him in Liverpool 76 Never liked Yes but liked his solo stuff

There was also that Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe lineup in the 1980s I think.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
kraftwerk's "autobahn" when i was about 8 years ol' in 1975 !

Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:
kraftwerk's "autobahn"
I made that astronomical leap to Kraftwerk in the late 1970s as well as Eno, Ultravox! and Numan.

C
C
I was lucky enough in those days to get Spanish TV and radio. They were so enthusiastic about all this synth music. Some were used as TV themes. This combined with English TV and Radio I remember as a child the following tunes:

Doctor Who Theme, Popcorn, Oxygene 4, Autobahn, Equinoxe 5, Pulstar, Telstar, Magic Fly....

Chris wink

JM Jarre's 'Oygene' always stuck in my mind, but looking in my record collection I know that one of the first synthy tracks I bought (I used to demand that my older brother take me to town on a Saturday to buy records - sorry, Steve) was Sparks 'No.1 Song in Heaven'. Had the touch of Moroder, but the long version on the B-side is just fantastic. I also have Gary Numan's 'Pleasure Principle' on vinyl too, and I remember loving that as a little 'un!

Ooo, I've drifted off into early childhood musical memories now...I had a Bontempi Organ! I can see it now - orange and white! Must have been the start of my synth fascination....

Sarah laugh

Ah, memories.

I remember my sister playing "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk and "Aladdin Sane" by Bowie over and over when I was young. Those two albums pretty much defined my musical tastes. And the Delia Derbyshire version of the Dr Who theme is a work of genius.

My first musical instrument was a Stylophone. Brilliant! Wish I still had mine now.

Administrator
Administrator
Call me a late developer.

It's 1979. TOTP.

it's cold outside

Suddenly on the 'bubbling under' slot is this amazing guy with white hair dressed

in a long coat and grey hat
smoking a cigarette

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
T
T
Possibly the theme to "Blake's Seven" in the late seventies. Failing that, "Glimmer" in 1989. I lie of course, but it was something of a year zero.

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
this amazing guy with white hair
Yes, he certainly is.....

He had black hair by the time he was on TOTP guys. That was probably the first time i heard something from what was to become known as a 'synth group'. But as i say, the first music i remember with electronics was Dr Who. I want to make it clear, i did not heard it from the first series though. smile

Mine's the same story as almost everyone elses really; 'PopCorn' by Hot Butter, Dr Who theme, Tomorrows People theme, Oxygene part 1653716532786541843 or whatever it's called by Jarre and Gary Numan.

We used to walk to a church on top of a big hill back in the late 70's and one Sunday morning, as we passed the over the railway bridge, somebody had sprayed in 3-ft high letters;

'THERE IS NO GOD SO PRAY TO GARY NUMAN'

It was there for years! Whoever wrote that - thank you. smile

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
'PopCorn' by Hot Butter
Gee, thanks Garry. Now I got that sound stuck in my head :rolleyes: wink

Love Action/Seconds by the Human Leage was one of my first 7" singles, around the same time I was discovering Doctor Who and Oxygene.

That would make it 1981.

My dad also had a record of Moog music called Electric Coconut, which included a version of Popcorn. It terrified me. He also had the Hot Butter album. That terrified me too. To this day I detest that song!!

I didn't discover Gary Numan or John's (Ultravox!) music until 1995...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
'PopCorn' by Hot Butter
... & once again the great marsheaux have made the best cover version that is possible - imho , of course ! ;-) - of that song ! :-)

now i'm eagerly awaiting to finally hear their cover version of o.m.d.'s "she's leaving" , which they've already played live !

ditto like most 'Popcorn' and BBC Radiophonic Workshop stuff (cf. Tomorrow People etc.). My first 'synth' single was a thing called Pepperbox by The Peppers (?..must look it up) . .then JMJ (oddly Equinoxe not Oxygene), then various TOTP jaw-dropping moments starting with, yes, Tubeway Army then G Numan 'Cars', onto OMD Messages, Human League Rock n Roll then Sound ot' Crowd..and so on and so on .. ah yes, then there was John Foxx ...

Heh! 'Popcorn' was brilliant! As kid I used to love that! I can't understand how anyone can find that irritatng! wink My mum said I also used to sing 'Nice One Cyril' around that time too - that explains a lot! laugh

I don't remember them at the time as I was too young but 'Son of My Father' as mentioned elsewhere here, and 'Magic Fly' are some other great cheesy 70s moog moments...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1llNSdf9cl4

The theme from Tomorrow's World in the early 80s was fantastic too.

Bew bew bew bew b' bew... pssssshhhhhhhwwwwww....

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
He had black hair by the time he was on TOTP guys. ...
:rolleyes: Time heals nothing. It merely rearranges our memory.

And before anyone picks it up, I know Numan HIMSELF wasn't dressed in the attire described in the lyric posted above shocked

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Wasn't it the old black shirt and white tie? or was that "Cars"?

I ought to know! *shame*

Quote:

Sorry can't remember that one Alex...how does it go again? frown

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
:rolleyes: Time heals nothing. It merely rearranges our memory.
[/QUOTE]
What song is that from. confused wink

Quote:
Wasn't it the old black shirt and white tie? or was that "Cars"?

I ought to know! *shame*
I dont want to be 'mr know it all' on this one, but to clear it up (maybe smile ) There was three TOTP performances. First was with black jeans/trousers and a black top with thin white stipes stitched into it, second i cant remember at the moment. But by the time they were at number 1, he wore the 'replicas' outfit complete with red and black jacket.

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
[b] The theme from Tomorrow's World in the early 80s was fantastic too.

Sorry can't remember that one Alex...how does it go again? frown [/b]
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... Bew bew bew bew b' bew... pssssshhhhhhhwwwwww....

The one where you travel down an ear canal in the titles!

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... Bew bew bew bew b' bew... pssssshhhhhhhwwwwww....

The one where you travel down an ear canal in the titles! [/b]
riiiiight .. seem to remember I always missed the beginning tho cos it clashed with Crossroads, and I was probaly too excited about TOTP coming on next to bother with the closing titles.

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:

Like this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbdjx1MYPtc&mode=related&search=

I
OP Offline
I
The opening title music to "Weekend World"* sounded synthy too. I thought it was ace , Any of the older Foxxheads on here remember that one ? (It might have been a clever guitar riff mind)

*Nantucket Sleighride , trivia freaks !

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:

Like this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbdjx1MYPtc&mode=related&search=

Yeah, that one!

I used to have a BBC cassette of their space theme tunes including Doctor Who and Blake's 7, but it also had the extended/full version of the Tomorrow's World theme. It's good!!

Oh and talking of Autobahn & Tomorrow's World:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU3O1AKCheU&mode=related&search=

I
OP Offline
I
Quote:

You beat me too it ! smile

I remember seeing this in 1975.

I really wish Tomorrow's World was still around frown

It was probably the first time I'd seen a synth,first time I'd seen Kraftwerk.

This program more than anything sparked my interest in synths,made me think I want one of those.

Nope never seen this before in me life ....

slightly OT but ..talk about synth music!.. check out the TOTP part of this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0bJUMIapCI

Quote:

Thanks for that, Brian. Never saw it before.

Thanks guys for the links on Utube. brought back some memories. Loved tomorrows world.

Peter

L
L
My first electonic music memories seem to be like the majority here-BBC Radiophonic stuff and Oxygene. A while later me and a friend discovered the more obscure Vangelis albums,like Beauborg and See you Later,bought our first electronic keyboards,built ring modulators and it spiralled from there...playing Gary Numan's "Complex" on my Jen SX1000 was a turning point in my teenage years.

Been looking at some of the familys old vinyl, and found my '70s compilation' album 'Moog Party'. shocked Best track is good 'ol 'Popcorn'.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.