Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 529 of 753 1 2 527 528 529 530 531 752 753
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
[b] [b]A Secret Life

Runaway leader in the 'Foxx album of the year' chart
[/b]
ha! we'll see about that good sir! "Best 2009 Foxx album" end of year survey anyone?

To mark the two year (!) anniversary of the live Metamatic, listening to "A New Kind of Man" this morning. [/b]
My Lost City would win easy!...um, hang on - what about Mirrorball? No. My Lost City easily....mmmmmmmmMirrorball...damn and blast! smile

I
I
ON YOUR 70's RADIO A compilation I picked up in some bargain bin. AS befits a record of this ilk , the cover is adorned by a (if I may use a unPC term ) a scantily clad dolly bird . Just like those cheapo Pickwick one's I used to buy in Woolworths The artists were definitely not the originals !) As I had to clean the house I thought I'd put something easy on I was blown over by the quality These supposedly throw- away chart songs have aged well As soon as the first track came on , a Proustian timewave took me back to my adolescence , not to the factory towns of Chorley but 27 miles away to the dockside "Coronation Streets" of North Liverpool I was wearing someone else's clothes . Anyway enough of this pseudo - intellectual claptrap , the record itself
starts with 'Appy 'Ammy DAVID ESSEX If Lou Reed is the godfather of punk Dive is the same for Boy Bands
"Gonna Mike you a Staar" good stuff I remember my little sis being into him Also him and Top Blue Ed "Stewpot" Stuart used to goon about Everton/West Ham clashes on the radio
Other jewels ELO LIVING THING I'd forgotten how good they were
LYNN ANDERSON ROSE GARDEN The original Urcountry Goddess taking a great song into the top 3 Country is a genre I don't have a lot of time for , but when it's good It's very good
The jewels in the crown COLIN BLUNSTONE SAY YOU DON'T MIND What a song What a voice !
Equally as good , a song I've spoken on here before about with Martin DOCTOR HOOK SYLVIA'S MOTHER ,pure genius, a song which can have me in fits of laughter or tears of compassion on successive listeningsI still haven't worked out if it's tongue in cheek or sung from the heart (AND THE OPERATOR SAYS 40 CENTS MORE FOR THE NEXT THREE MINUTES )
Other artists ex ANIMAL ALAN PRICE and Leigh's (7 miles from Chorley where I once worked) GEORGIE FAME
SAILOR somewhat louche GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS ok , but not up there with the excellent GLASS OF CHAMPAGNE
Cult band SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE With A FAMILY AFFAIR Come across as a premier leage Stereo MC's (which admittedly isn't very hard to do !)THere are also good solid contributions from SANTANA SHE'S NOT THERE (Ironically , originally done by BLUNTSTONE'S band The Yardbirds (I think so anyway , I can't be arsed googling )
ALL in all 3.99 well spent
THE 70'S WE SALUTE YOU !

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:
ON YOUR 70's RADIO...

"Gonna Mike you a Staar"
(AND THE OPERATOR SAYS 40 CENTS MORE FOR THE NEXT THREE MINUTES)
GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS...
GLASS OF CHAMPAGNE
laugh

all classic lines ingrained into my childhood brain,
and yes, definitely sung with heart smile

Yesterday – still in a slightly long-haired Kaftan wearing mode, and tripping lightly like a young gazelle through the expansive bright flowery landscapes of some Yes tracks: Survival, Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil), and Awaken.

Okay, I’m all back to normal now, and today its some down to earth straightforward listening with Manafon, first time alone and at home with the full album, should be an easy experience, no problem

I
I
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:
[b] ON YOUR 70's RADIO...

"Gonna Mike you a Staar"
(AND THE OPERATOR SAYS 40 CENTS MORE FOR THE NEXT THREE MINUTES)
GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS...
GLASS OF CHAMPAGNE
laugh

all classic lines ingrained into my childhood brain,
and yes, definitely sung with heart smile

Yesterday – still in a slightly long-haired Kaftan wearing mode, and tripping lightly like a young gazelle through the expansive bright flowery landscapes of some Yes tracks: Survival, Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil), and Awaken.

Okay, I’m all back to normal now, and today its some down to earth straightforward listening with Manafon, first time alone and at home with the full album, should be an easy experience, no problem [/b]
Spot on Core lad , yer wee radge smile Only joking Is there a standard English equivalent for that Edinburgh expression which I picked up from reading Irvine Welsh ? I reckon on my native Merseyside It would be "scally"
Re Yes I always preferred big Rick on his tod with all those mad synths ! I was lucky enough to see him back in 76 as a youngster
Btw I'm having visions of you as a Midlothian Demis Roussos with your kaftan on !
HAPPY TO BE ON AN I_I_I SLAND IN THE SUN laugh

David Sylvian - Manafon and the new Mary-Anne Hobbs Wild Angels compilation album.

There's a few nuggets of electronica and dubstep on there (? by Mark Pritchard and Hyetal's We Should Light A Fire being two of them) but it's not grabbing me as much as her previous album Evangeline.

S
S
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

I bought this years ago. I think it was when Fripp toured with Sylvian. Hadn't played it in years either but it's so good & away ahead of it's time. Think I'll need to look out more KC albums.

Administrator
Administrator
Uh oh - I feel one of those 'Long and Sleepless Nights' coming on. Scott Walker started it...

It fascinates me how things follow one another. After Who Shall Go To the Ball... I have drifted into Bjork's Medulla and that's going to be followed by those Polish torch singers I told you about before.

Sometimes, music just can't get dark enough...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Currently new Ultravox no I meant Muse album wink

Also online before its release is quite a lot of the Editors new album:-

http://www.we7.com/#/album/In-This-Light-And-On-This-Evening!albumId=398104

They've gone all synthy.Bricks & Mortar is one I play a lot.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:yer wee radge smile … I'm having visions of you as a Midlothian Demis Roussos with your kaftan on ! laugh
laugh I’m actually a ‘Weegie’ by birth.
That Mr Roussos and I would make for (sadly hilarious) polar opposites if placed side by side, and now I’m trying to get “Forever And Ever” out of my head, but I’d happily take his island in the sun anytime.

Well, after a couple of very close play’s of Manafon it is probably still a bit premature for me to comment, except to say that taking some of the tracks out of the context of the album is much more rewarding. Snow White In Appalachia, and Emily Dickinson are presently the songs that completely reach me, and happily (!) evoking a sense of mystery in the engagement between the music and the singing. But for me so far, listening to the whole of the album and its less potent moments just feels, well, ‘dull’

Okay, bit cheap to leave a one-word comment like that I know, makes me seem like I haven’t ‘got where the albums coming from’, so please, all Manafon fanatics, no rocks at my head, it can hurt! and I should leave posting anymore about the album for the proper Manafon thread.

I also had yet another first time play through of an album new to me, and I’m finding it completely addictive and I really want to big this one up here -

Jacaszek: Treny.

Came on a disc of loads of great stuff given to me earlier this year by a work colleague, and I just completely ignored listening to it, but looking for a post-Manafon refuge I chanced to start playing it, its since rapidly become one of those albums I now feel the need to own in its own sleeve.

Classical and electronica, with faint touches of trip-hop, glitch, and fleeting sounds of harp and piano, the perfect soundtrack for a haunted ballroom, sunken vessel, or a Jean Cocteau film. Its very beautiful and mesmerizing, and just, well, ‘supernatural’,
now if only David Sylvian had been singing along on an album like this…

S
S
Sting - All This Time

Never been a fan. Liked the odd song he's done like Russians & Fragile but nothing more.Borrowed this the other day & must say I'm impressed. He's got a good band playing here with him , B.J Cole , Chris Botti & Dominic Miller amongst others. I'm impressed with his lyrics.

Page 529 of 753 1 2 527 528 529 530 531 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.