Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 524 of 753 1 2 522 523 524 525 526 752 753
What kind of music is he making these days?

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
What kind of music is he making these days?
In a nutshell - 'Improvised'. The new album is a sort of Fantasy Football dream team of artists from the Improvisation school of musics. Sylvian put them together in various studios, recorded the random music they created and then developed segments from these sessions into songs.

Go here; http://www.manafon.com/editions/ where you'll be able to play each track.

OK, ta!

S
S
Porcupine Tree - The Incident

I'm liking what I hear but needs a few listens before commenting properly.

I've taken advantage of one of the special offers available at Toffeetones this week, and ordered Tenek's Stateless album. This hasn't arrived yet, but as part of the deal I also got the Submission single on download. So right now I'm listening to this little lot: -

Submission (Radio)
No Time For Fighting
Submission (Starstruck)
Submission (Dubby's Dark Dimension)
Submission (Toffeetronic)
Submission (Add Your Voice)

Glad I got the download, as the fantastic No Time For Fighting isn't on the album.

I
I
I've decided to breathe the air outside the electronic ghetto and it's surprisingly good

I've been listening to the following. on cassette I hasten to add
LEVELLERS THE LEVELLERS I just love their violin- driven crusty agit rock and it more than makes up for their hygienic and sartorial shortcomings , not to mention their dogs on pieces of string laugh I could see Billy Currie having a good time in this band
Next the beautiful folk whimsy of AL STEWART YEAR OF THE CAT I'd need a book of superlatives to explain how good it is
Next up the bleak but life afferming meisterwerk MEZZANINE from Bristol trip hoppers MASSIVE (ATTACK) Can we now refer to them by their fullname or is that ridiculous 1991 BBC Gulf War ban still in force ?
Last up STRAW DONKEYS THE SINGLES CARTER USM Sublime early 90's agit power pop I Know Martin will agree with me on that
Before re-entering the electronic ghetto I shall be visiting (Albeit virtually)Nottingham where my favourite miserablists TINDERSTICKS reside First three albums if I get time

Administrator
Administrator
Speaking of 'outside the box' - where Ivan and I have crossed paths before. I'm hoping to set up a cafe there some day...

I'm currently enjoying a trip round Dixieland with the great Sidney Bechet cool
Music I love - maybe I oughtta shout about it a bit more often.
My love for Bessie Smith came out of this enjoyment of "Tom and Jerry Music"

http://www.redhotjazz.com/Bechet.html

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
C
C
Since the release of Johns more gentle and reflective style with A Secret Life and Mirrorball took hold over me, I feel I’ve been gradually drawn to more ambient/acoustic musical corners. I was already travelling more in this direction earlier this year, and Johns 09 releases have really added to that journey for me, but over the last few days I thought its been a while since I’ve played any John & Louis electro albums, so time to round up and play the 03 to 08 electro suite of:

Crash And Burn/From Trash/Sideways, and Impossible.

I still find it hard to choose an all out favourite from the first three albums, sometimes I think Sideways slightly wins out, (though unfairly it does contain a great version of FT’s ’Impossible’), but really it’s a choice between that or Crash And Burn, mainly just because for me there’s marginally more top songs on these than on From Trash.
(Sideways and CAB do though also contain one or two of the poorest tracks for me.)

When it comes to Impossible, ’Adult Concerns’ sounds quite boring now, but ’Walk This Way’ is still top stuff, and I certainly prefer a lot of the remixed CAB/FT tracks, perhaps with the exception of ’A Million Na Nah Cars’ laugh

Administrator
Administrator
Changing my approach this evening.

Picked up a copy of Marc Almond's debut Untitled on CD last week, so time to get sleazy.
This album has been totally eclipsed in his catalogue by the follow-up Torment and Toreros, but it is a great piece of work in its own right.
Formative in many ways, and quite naive, but decadent and experimental too.

Almond's slower ballads have always been his strength, and he introduces themes and artists here that he has revisited a lot during his career (Walker, Brel, Reed etc)
And of course it features Marc's first version of Brel's "If You Go Away" which is what turned me on to his genius in the first place. Not to mention the bitterness of Caroline Says

Not one to cheer you up, but it doesn't sound dated at all and is long overdue for a few spins.

I'll be following this with another dose of the wonderful Orpheus in Exile and therefore inevitable drown myself in the pathos of liquour as the night falls

Pass the absinthe...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
M
M
I received 'The Pleasure Principle' 3 disc set over the weekend from Townsend & I'm really frustrated because I can't listen to it until Tuesday, as I have a guest staying with me until then.

I really wanna play it... bummer! as my American friend would say.

Page 524 of 753 1 2 522 523 524 525 526 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.