Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Compact Disc and Vinyl versions of Howl are now available to pre-order at Amazon...

Rob

My copy of Electronic Sound arrived this morning with the Maths blue vinyl 7".

So now I've heard two tracks, 'Howl' and 'Last Time I Saw You'. I don't hate the sound and I guess and I may grow to love it.

I know I'm not going to be popular saying this, but to me I'm now thinking the new album is going to sound like a Robin Simon album with John on vocals.

Robin's guitar style is very distinctive and the reverb fuzzface sound (techies correct me), is a little over powering. It's the main element of the two tracks I've heard, maybe that's the point, but if the whole album is like this could be a card overplayed.

Maybe it should have been called Hendrix and the Maths?

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
There's also an Orange Vinyl version of Howl available from Rough Trade...

Rob

I received my copy of 'Howl' today and I've given it one listen so far. It's going to take a few listens for sure to appraise it properly.

However on first impressions I don't hear enough hooks to immediately draw me in. Robin co-writes all of the tracks with John and Benge and his guitar playing features heavily on most of the tracks. Those of you who've heard those tracks already released off the album will know what to expect. The final track 'Strange Beauty' and maybe 'The Dance' are the only tracks that stood out for me. They are the most obviously electronic and melodic tracks and Robin's guitar playing is reined in.

I've always liked Robin's playing on 'Systems Of Romance' and 'The Garden' and I was hoping for more in that kind of style rather than a wall of feedback and screeching. But that's me. With time the album may grow on me but for me if you were hoping for something like 'Interplay' you will be very disappointed.

I keep getting invisible posts when i write what i want to write.

Last edited by Brian; 07/26/20 06:55 AM.
The album is big ballsy & epic.I like it more every time i play it.

Brian

P
P

Last edited by postpunkmonk; 09/12/20 02:06 PM.

Still a bug/problem posting more than one line on the forum i see.

The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
Yes... sorry about that... I'm currently looking into the cause of it...

Cheers Rob,really weird one this time.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.