Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
THE COMPLETE CATHEDRAL OCEANS
[5 LPs in album-style 12x 12 book set]
• A very limited edition 5 LP album-style 12x12 book set from one of the most influential exponents of electronic andambient music, the original frontman of Ultravox, and a solo artist for over thirty years. John Foxx is name-checked by many of today’s top acts as a big influence, and was a major contributor to BBC4’s documentary “Synth Britannia”.
• Now, for the first time on vinyl in one package, this fabulous hardback album book set contains all three of Foxx’s ambient classics “Cathedral Oceans I” (1997), “Cathedral Oceans II” (2003) and “Cathedral Oceans III” (2005) on five LPs.
• Limited to 750 copies only, the book contains dozens of Foxx’s beautiful images (several previously unseen) along with passages from his book “The Quiet Man”. Also included is a 12x12 framable print of one of the images.

Cathedral Oceans
A1. Cathedral Oceans [5:17]
A2. City As Memory [5:43]
A3. Through Summer Rooms [6:36]
B1. Geometry And Coincidence [5:25]
B2 If Only... [3:22]
B3. Shifting Perspective [2:34]
B4. Floating Islands [6:07]
C1. Infinite In All Directions [5:51]
C2. Avenham Collonade [6:13]
C3. Sunset Rising [2:38]
C4. Invisible Architecture [3:22]

Cathedral Oceans II
D1. Revolving Birdsong [2:13]
D2. Shimmer Symmetry [5:13]
D3. Far And Wide 2 [6:43]
E1. Ad Infinitum [6:26]
E2. Quiet Splendour [5:58]
E3. Luminous And Gone [5:59]
F1. Stillness And Wonder [6:23]
F2. Return To A Place Of Remembered Beauty [7:22]
G1. Visible And Invisible [6:49]
G2. Golden Green [7:11]

Cathedral Oceans III
H1. Oceanic [4:10]
H2. Through Gardens Overgrown [2:40]
H3. Spiral Overture [5:48]
H4. The Shadow Of A Woman’s Hand [5:01]
I1. Radial Harmonics [0:35]
I2. Serene Velocity [4:31]
I3. Fog Structures [4:04]
I4. Eternity Sunrise [4:20]
I5. Harmonia Mundi [4:45]
J1. City Of Endless Stairways [4:48]
J2. In Rising Light [6:57]
J3. Metanym [6:36]

https://www.spincds.com/garcia-live-volume-4-veterans-hall-sebastopol-ca-3-22-78-2cd-49845

Brian

Last edited by Brian; 07/05/16 02:31 PM.
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Brian

Also available to pre-order from Amazon...

Rob

Administrator
Administrator

FAB - U - LOUS cool

Even for those of us who don't (yet) own a turntable, this is a must have piece of loveliness.

Though I am surprised to see it's not on Metamatic Records...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris
Originally Posted By: Brian

Rob

Did they have a pre-order up, as now it just shows unavailable, and they don't know when it will be?

The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: sam.vox
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris

Did they have a pre-order up, as now it just shows unavailable, and they don't know when it will be?

I thought they did... I dare say that the page will be updated shortly...

Either way, the release date is the 2nd of September...

Rob

£116.10 from Amazon. Must be the special gold plated edition!

The Archive
The Archive
The Complete Cathedral Oceans vinyl box set is now also available to pre-order at Townsend Records...

The first twenty orders will come with an exclusive signed print.

Rob

Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
Now £99 excluding p&p.

Price for this seems to be varying widely,

Brian

T
T
Hmm, very nice. But I will have to convince myself of this I'm afraid. Will have to convince myself what 100 pounds would otherwise buy (or not as the case may be)!! 10 CDs (by other artists, naturally) that I might never play? Ok, convinced. Perhaps ...

Had the book been available separately for half the price then I'd have no qualms. I personally have no need for the vinyl. But hey. By the way I presume that the book is similar to but not just a blown up version of the CD/DVD box set book? And can I have the DVD on Betamax please? http://www.metamatic.com/forum/images/icons/default/wink.gif

T
T
Awesome

And ordered from amazon uk. 93 quid delivered to Sydney.

cheers

F
F
You crazy vinyl fetishists!

Haven't they pressed quadraphonic versions of the Cathedral Oceans I and III 5.1 surround mixes? cool

Got my package today!
First what I thought as I hold it in my hands was "WOW!"
What a nice thing it is. I'm really glad I ordered one for myself. Absolutely great made! The images in this size are wonderful.
This album / book is really worth the money - a must have for every collector ( Like me cool)

Thanks a lot to everyone who were involved in this release.

I'm happy with it! grin

Last edited by Shadow Man; 09/05/16 06:29 PM.
Ah, forgot to mention:
Mine is No.: 226 from 750!

I collect just about everything that John releases but I'm not going to jump on the vinyl bandwagon. As long as I have the CD collection I'm happy.

Originally Posted By: Shadow Man
Got my package today!
First what I thought as I hold it in my hands was "WOW!"
What a nice thing it is. I'm really glad I ordered one for myself. Absolutely great made! The images in this size are wonderful.
This album / book is really worth the money - a must have for every collector ( Like me cool)

Thanks a lot to everyone who were involved in this release.

I'm happy with it! grin

Nice to know that it is an object "worth" the money you paid for it, but I really don't agree with these super expensive releases which exclude a large part of fans and admirers like myself who have always stuck by an artists and their various releases over the years.

I'm genuine glad you're happy with it Andreas, and please let us know how the audio is also - some pictures too if you can cheers!

I confess though, apart from all the usual +/- arguments, I'm still confused by 3 albums, split over 5 discs. Surely it should have been 6 discs so that the albums are split evenly? If you're gonna go 'all out' and create a premium box set - then why not go 'really all out' and do it properly. I'm still completely baffled by that.

T
T
Received my copy today. I 2nd the WOW

This is the best album package I have ever bought. Designed as a coffee table book with beautiful photo's and words with the 5 lp's part of the book at the end.

Sound quality is good as is the pressing quality. They have absolutely done the correct thing in having the 3 cd's split over 5lp's. Each lp side is between 13 and 18 minutes long, so best for sound quality. Each page where the LP is housed has the song titles and playtime. Having it split over 6 lp's would be pointless from a sound quality pov and the book layout gives this a brand new feel compared to the cd's - and all for the better.

Absolutely brilliant release and a must have. Well done everyone involved in this release.

Last edited by turntable; 09/08/16 09:54 AM.
T
T
Looking good. Is anyone willing to compare the pics/texts between the old CD edition and this vinyl edition? If it is mostly a case of the same but bigger this time then I might pass. If otherwise I might - er - fail? Thanks muchly.

Administrator
Administrator

i can't (yet) vouch for the pictures, though they are obviously bigger.

The text is THE SAME as the vinyl edition, which I personally find disappointing

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Thanks for the photos, turntable.
And I never could say it better.

This is nothing "new" for us and if you don't like Vinyls it is surely not a thing for you. I own the CD versions of CO 1-3 too but I haven't bought the CD Collection. So I cannot say if this is the same in big or not. First reason for me to buy it were the Vinyls. I mostly listen to the CD's but sometimes I like to put on my turntable and listen to some Vinyls.I thought too it is a bit expensive and struggled with my decision. But as I told ; when I hold it in my hands it was OK for the money.I own a lot of John's Vinyl stuff and for me it is a different thing listening to a Vinyl.Crackling, hissing, the big cover - I love it. wink

J
J
Hello - I'm a new member here and this is my first post. I'm a big fan of the Cathedral Oceans music and artwork, I have the 3 cd set w/dvd and the standalone dvd and love them. I'm also curious as to how different the artwork inside this vinyl box is from the cd set. I don't play vinyl anymore, but this may be as close as we get to a coffee table type book of these wonderful images and I am undecided right now.

Thanks! - John

T
T
Just as a coffee table book it is sensational.

I have over 5000 lps and this coffee table book vinyl box set is just about the best release I have bought from a visual and design point of view.

won't be around for long

cheers

P
P
Gott Im Himmel!!! My wife bought me a copy for my birthday. #9/750. Yes, the A.P. edition - which I did not even know about.

P
P
I have both and the difference in size is vast. These images have never begun to approach the detail available here. The layout of images also differs somewhat [especially on the pages with multiple images - many more on the CD, believe it or not, and the proportions of each page are somewhat different. The text seems the same.

Last edited by postpunkmonk; 09/27/16 03:51 PM.

A belated "Happy Birthday" from me. A really nice present.
My copy was my birthday present from my wife too... smile

T
T
Thanks to all for your input - very much appreciated. No wife at this end, but I decided it was time to pop the question to my credit card, just in case that "The complete artwork and writings of Dennis Leigh" coffee table book fails to appear in the distant future. I have justified it by choosing this and not the Ultravox coloured vinyls - after all there is also a highly desirable Marc Almond boxset on the horizon to think about ...

By the way it is currently 90 and a bit at Amazon.co.uk so that helped the decision as well.

Administrator
Administrator

Good work. Good choice.

Mr Almond has the edge on this for me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.