Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Prompted by the BBC6 listener who wrote in to the show during Foxx's interview to confess that "Film One" played in the dark was used to scare the hell out of her/him, what other scarey songs can you come up with, chums?

I'd like to add:

Asylum - Gary Numan (B side to Cars)

and even

Introducing - The Human League (B side to Empire State Human)

frown

What are the tracks that make you quiver, Foxx-fans?
crazy

Last edited by MemberD; 07/28/15 11:25 AM.
Frankie Teardrop by Suicide

The first time I heard it anyway! Thought the Police were gonna turn up on account of all the screaming. Great track - for full effect, best played LOUD! In his book 31 Songs - Nick Hornby confesses that he's played it once and is too scared to play it again. Gooner wuss.

Hamburger Lady by Throbbing Gristle

Just 'ewww!'...even by TG standards.

T
T
Nice thread!

"It's Getting Late in the Evening" Talk Talk - when the track builds about halfway through.

"The Circus (Decay Mix)" Erasure - more queasy than scary perhaps.

"Martin" Soft Cell - not really a B side but it was a track on a bonus 12 inch so hope that's ok.

I like hamburgers. I like ladies. I'll have to check that one out!

If we move to album tracks then "Cue (Flugleman)" from "The Drift" (Scott Walker) fits the bill when sudden hammering breaks into the song - any song that consistently makes you jump is a winner. Or "The Earth Died Screaming" (Tom Waits). Or "Stagger Lee" or "O'Malley's Bar" (Nick Cave) from Murder Ballads. More! More!

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

Good shouts chaps! The thread is open to B sides and album tracks (given that 'singles' would rarely be scarey..but you never know).

Always found this Bowie track is a bit creepy too..made even more so by scarey arty video ..

Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted By: the church puddle
Nice thread!

"Martin" Soft Cell - not really a B side but it was a track on a bonus 12 inch so hope that's ok.

Yep = That One. Used to scare the heck out of me when I first heard it.

There's also a massively long version of SPLIT LIP on the Tenderness 10" single that is a freaky song.

But generally though, 'scarey' isn't a term I would use to describe much in the way of music. Good thread - will have a think of others

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

Scarey factor 7/10: (wait until the creepy Granny voice kicks in!)

I
I
Is it de rigeur to have shat oneself listening to a B side, Membs ? If so, I'm afraid I cannot contribute to this thread, Soz !

However ,if you wish to start an "Ace B sides " thread , I could contribute loads.

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Ivan Basso
Is it de rigeur to have shat oneself listening to a B side, Membs ? If so, I'm afraid I cannot contribute to this thread, Soz !

However ,if you wish to start an "Ace B sides " thread , I could contribute loads.

Nothing that has you reaching for some clean.....Underpants!, my liege?

Challenge accepted.

C
C
The whole of the b side of Pink Floyd's 'Meddle' is enough to give you the willies!
Cheers

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.