Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40656 07/14/11 07:29 PM
G
Gwilym Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Has anyone downloaded Budd's 2006 live album "Perhaps" from the Samadhisound site? I've read that it's similar in places to his previous works with Eno, "Plateaux" and "Pearl".

Gwilym #40657 07/14/11 10:51 PM
Administrator
Administrator
I've got this. I'd say its more like "Plateaux" simply because it lacks the depth of "The Pearl" which is Budd's finest achievement in my opinion. But its not really like Plateaux even.

Perhaps is quite a 'simple' album - beautiful in its simplicity, very minimalist. Budd solo, with very little 'treatment'. A delicate, fragile piano. That is all. Less is more. etc

It's a great work in its own right, and one I prefer to many of his other albums, bar perhaps the two you mention.

Last edited by Birdsong; 07/14/11 11:57 PM.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Birdsong #40660 07/15/11 01:05 PM
G
Gwilym Offline OP
OP Offline
G
More akin to La Bella Vista then? I'm surprised that it's download only, being more of a hi-fi person than one who uses an ipod, however according to Discogs there was a limited CDr release in 2008 but with only 100 copies made. A bit frustrating really. I emailed Samadhisound the other day but they replied that they have no plans for a regular physical release. frown

Gwilym #40662 07/15/11 06:27 PM
S
S
I have it too & think it's one of his best. It is very simple as said above. Nice relaxing piano music.

Gwilym #40667 07/15/11 09:32 PM
T
T
Yes, I would say very much like "La Bella Vista". I play both of them relatively regularly but usually while doing other things, and neither seem to leave much of a conscious impression on me.

For me, it's not in the same league as "The Plateaux of Mirror", "Lovely Thunder", "The White Arcades", "Luxa", and so on. But it's very hard not to like a Harold Budd album.

Gwilym #47803 07/02/15 01:46 PM
P
P
I should mention that "Perhaps" was an improvised live piece, recorded in 2006 as a memorial for a deceased friend of Budd's, composer James Tenney. Knowing this makes its accomplish all the more impressive. I got the CD that was re-issued in 2013 in an edition of 500 and it's become a favorite.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.