Metamatic
Posted By: Gwilym Perhaps (2006) - 07/14/11 07:29 PM
Has anyone downloaded Budd's 2006 live album "Perhaps" from the Samadhisound site? I've read that it's similar in places to his previous works with Eno, "Plateaux" and "Pearl".
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Perhaps (2006) - 07/14/11 10:51 PM
I've got this. I'd say its more like "Plateaux" simply because it lacks the depth of "The Pearl" which is Budd's finest achievement in my opinion. But its not really like Plateaux even.

Perhaps is quite a 'simple' album - beautiful in its simplicity, very minimalist. Budd solo, with very little 'treatment'. A delicate, fragile piano. That is all. Less is more. etc

It's a great work in its own right, and one I prefer to many of his other albums, bar perhaps the two you mention.
Posted By: Gwilym Re: Perhaps (2006) - 07/15/11 01:05 PM
More akin to La Bella Vista then? I'm surprised that it's download only, being more of a hi-fi person than one who uses an ipod, however according to Discogs there was a limited CDr release in 2008 but with only 100 copies made. A bit frustrating really. I emailed Samadhisound the other day but they replied that they have no plans for a regular physical release. frown
Posted By: Scott Re: Perhaps (2006) - 07/15/11 06:27 PM
I have it too & think it's one of his best. It is very simple as said above. Nice relaxing piano music.
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Perhaps (2006) - 07/15/11 09:32 PM
Yes, I would say very much like "La Bella Vista". I play both of them relatively regularly but usually while doing other things, and neither seem to leave much of a conscious impression on me.

For me, it's not in the same league as "The Plateaux of Mirror", "Lovely Thunder", "The White Arcades", "Luxa", and so on. But it's very hard not to like a Harold Budd album.
Posted By: postpunkmonk Re: Perhaps (2006) - 07/02/15 01:46 PM
I should mention that "Perhaps" was an improvised live piece, recorded in 2006 as a memorial for a deceased friend of Budd's, composer James Tenney. Knowing this makes its accomplish all the more impressive. I got the CD that was re-issued in 2013 in an edition of 500 and it's become a favorite.
© Metamatic