Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Thanks to Member D for this!

Yep - ver League and those Orchestral Manoeuvres in Their Dark are on TOTP 1980 tonight on BBC Four - wo-hoo!

Indeed! Also look out for Jonah Lewie's Moog-driven 'Kitchen at Parties'.

OP Offline
If it's Jona Lewie it might be the one with a very young Kirsty Macoll appearing as a backing vocalist

Cheers for the heads up chaps.

I don't know why I just don't set it for series link.I think i will now.

Brian

T
T
Great show - thanks all. I wasn't aware the original Human League had been on TOTP - although I have seen that performance somewhere (probably BBC4 - aren't they fab?). It would be interesting to hear a parallel universe where they became huge as a direct result, solds lots more records, and Heaven 17 and the girls didn't exist (we are of course glad they did). Don't forget Dexys at number one!

I well remembered that particular show of 08/05/80 - THL and OMD were both jaw dropping moments for this spotty and impressionable 16 year old!
Amazing how both those performances were somehow etched on by brain for so many years, before getting to see them again some 25 or more years into the future via youtube, UK Gold and the like - but now 'restored' to their proper original context.
The eighties proper start here!

The world span around to a brand new sound ...

OP Offline
I never saw it first time round - didn't encounter 'ver League until Sound of The Crowd or 'ver Dark until Souvenir. But over the years, you hear about this episode - a bit like you hear about the 90s one with the Happy Mondays on it and the Stone Roses etc.

It was funny to actually sit there and finally watch it...well some of it - I just saw the edited versh. Just for contrast, it was wonderful seeing something so utterly abysmal and throwback as Matchbox up against THL n OMD and of course in his own quiet way - Jona Lewie...singing about parties in Palmers Green. Great stuff!

I
I
Lovely jubbly as DelBoy would say
I bet it'll take lots of editing Not so much for the music but to remove certain faux avuncalar DJs !
Please send me your Epica details my trusty gregario !

T
T
They skip all editions presented by Jimmy Savile (understandable) and DLT (indefensible). No editing.

OP Offline
Ivan - not sorted yet guv - still talking to the tax man about poetry! Should have some news next week!

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.