Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
I say he plays Moogfest in April with the Maths. Look at this lineup!

http://www.moogfest.com/

Benge would be in heaven. And my planning to blow an entire year's budget on going has absolutely nothing to do with the idea, no, not at all. wink

H
H
I suppose the glib answer to the Op’s question “What next for John?” is “whatever he likes”. Although he’s never quite received the commercial rewards he’s deserved, even if John never played another note he’d leave behind a wonderful body of work and at his age, he has nothing more to prove.

That said, if it was up to me, I reckon The Maths project has run its course and that each of the 3 albums has been that little bit more self indulgent and less inspired than the previous. Like many others I’d love John to do a proper solo album of proper songs, which are more about the words, melodies and arrangements than the rather tired sounding analogue synth doodling. Not only would I get Robin Simon back on board, perhaps Duncan Bridgeman and Joe Dworniak from the old Garden days could be persuaded to contribute? They’re both still making music 30 years on.

http://www.joedworniak.com/joedworniak.com/Home.html

http://ditlo.com/2013/08/30/duncan-bridgeman/

I reckon there’s also plenty more mileage in the Belbury Circle collaboration and will be intrigued to see what John gets up to with Jori Hulkkonen next, after the magnificent European Splendour project.

From a purely selfish point of view, I’d like to see some of the more obscure unreleased material see the light of say (the “Identification Of A Woman” soundtrack, the short-lived Blitz project, more Cathedral Oceans), though I do accept Rob’s pint that just because recordings exist it doesn’t mean we have a right to hear them if John doesn’t think them up to standard.

And finally an ambient collaboration with Eno and a greatest hits tour featuring a full band!

>>I suppose the glib answer to the Op’s question “What next for John?” is “whatever he likes”.

I found that rather relevant and not glib. Nothing worse than an artist producing stuff for an audience as opposed to creating what they are living and feeling.

I'm happy to sit and wait and listen to a huge chunk of the back catalogue on a regular basis and still enjoy it. New stuff? Bring it on. Loved Evangeline this year, the Jori link works as well as the Benge one.

I wonder if there are any more visual/audio projects coming through? And TCM never made it to Japan in live form.

Martin, I love the live bits I can get to see. So much so it can dictate the timing or number of trips back to the UK. I also enjoy meeting up with Forum members on these occasions too. Apart from the music, he (well, actually Rob) has built a community of quite disparate peoples.

Let the show go on, and on.......

P
P
Originally Posted By: cdave2
I say he plays Moogfest in April with the Maths. Look at this lineup!

http://www.moogfest.com/

Benge would be in heaven. And my planning to blow an entire year's budget on going has absolutely nothing to do with the idea, no, not at all. wink

Of course, as soon as the promoters for MF2014 became known, I sent them an email extolling the virtues of JF+TM playing there in April. I got a boilerplate response saying that they had already picked the lineup for 2014 and thank you for your comment. Even so, they only listed the minimum of headliners on Dec. 19, leaving 70% of the lineup TBA. I bought a ticket on the hope that Foxx and Benge would be there and at the very least Kraftwerk would headline. History's proven me right on the latter hunch, so I'm hoping that I was correct on the former as well. And you're right! Benge would be in his element at the festival. In fact, he would be a great presenter for the daytime lineup now that I think of it. And he would get a charge out of visiting the Moog Store.

D
D
Thanks for this info - something else I missed!

Personally I wish John and the Maths would find the way to Hamburg for a full show. He stood at some different lands in Europe the last years but no gig in Germany. The last and only gig since 1983 he performed with Louis in Bielefeld 2002.
Last year Ultravox and OMD were in Hamburg. This year I'm looking forward to concerts with Simple Minds , Gary Numan (both in February) and Stranglers in April.
Come on John, it's time for a Maths show here...It's not a long way to Hamburg.

See you at the next gig in London or Hamburg (Hopefully). smile

OP Offline
Shadow man,I hope your wish is granted and John makes it over to Hamburg. Deutschland at least!!

It would be great John and the Maths performing a radio session, like John did with Ultravox, solo with band 3 times and with Louis 3 times.

Here in Hamburg, the Simple Minds did a live radio studio session for a couple of weeks which was great.

A BBC interview & session with John and the Maths would be very welcome.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.