Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
OP Offline
I
as a youth ELP , Frank Zappa
in the 90's Ocean Colour Scene , Alice in Chains , Nine Inch Nails
more recently The Grays (sp) Macy and David , Amy Whitehouse
All in all I know about 2 songs by all those mentioned

Somehow , apart from NIN , I don't feel I've really missed out on anything please correct me if I'm wrong and at the same time list the gaps in your music collection my fellow Foxxheads (the invitation is also open to any Iron Maiden and Simply Red afficianados who might be lurking on this wonderful forum)

Nine Inch Nails for me as well.

Also Thomas Dolby and OMD but I've started recently to rectify that.Bought some OMD.

Japan I only know them from singles.

Numan I knew from singles but in the last 2 years I've acquired 4 albums.

Amy Whinehouse I've always been underwhelmed by.

Brian

so many but let's say:

70s: Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, (early) Roxy Music, Ultravox(!)..
80s: covered a lot of ground but lost track mid-decade so maybe stuff like James, Erasure, Happy Mondays, erm, Simply Red.

90s: Nirvana, REM, KLF, Manic Street Preachers ...

2000s: Sigur Ros, Arcade Fire .... some folks go mad for 'em but not really my cup of tea anyway.

I was a big NIN fan - owned everything and saw them a few times on the Downward Spiral tour. Then - I dunno, grew up a bit I guess and left them behind completely. Heard them a few years later and wondered why a man, now a multi-millionaire and clearly in his 40s was ranting like a spoilt teenager about whatever it was that he was ranting about. All seems a million universes ago. Hey ho.

Frank Zappa - I love Captain Beefheart but never connected with Zappa even though for most people they go hand-in-hand.

The Beatles - I've tried, I've really tried - just can't get it at all.

Radiohead - Nope, sorry - not for me.

Originally Posted By: RadioBeach

Frank Zappa - I love Captain Beefheart but never connected with Zappa even though for most people they go hand-in-hand.
Radiohead - Nope, sorry - not for me.

Good calls Rads.

Clock DVA anyone?

Originally Posted By: MemberD
so many but let's say:

90s: Nirvana, REM, Manic Street Preachers ...

2000s: Sigur Ros, Arcade Fire .... some folks go mad for 'em but not really my cup of tea anyway.

Good call yerself guv! I really liked the Manics - and then like NIN it all looked completely alien and after a while, a bit laughable.

I liked the early Manics but newer stuff just leaves me cold.

Also never got REM or The Beatles or Radiohead either.

I have to say that most of the music that has emerged since about 1986 has passed me by!! Well certainly anything that comes under the labels of r'n'b,urban,rap or boy/girl groups.

I work with a group of women who are in their late twenties and early thirties. I haven't got a clue most of the time who they're on about. It's a running joke that if it's after the 80s then Andy won't know. I'm happy in my ignorance.

T
T
I think the problem with Zappa for me is where to start? So I haven't ... yet!

Can I nominate The Rolling Stones? Their career began and ended for me with "Start Me Up".

Secondly, The Who. I have tried a bit and I do like the concepts etc but .. no, sorry.

Thirdly, New Order, but only after "Technique".

Last edited by the church puddle; 09/05/13 07:15 PM.
I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: Your Shadow
I have to say that most of the music that has emerged since about 1986 has passed me by!! Well certainly anything that comes under the labels of r'n'b,urban,rap or boy/girl groups.

I work with a group of women who are in their late twenties and early thirties. I haven't got a clue most of the time who they're on about. It's a running joke that if it's after the 80s then Andy won't know. I'm happy in my ignorance.
And I bet DEAF SCHOOL have passed your younger female colleagues by Andy lid ! Get them educated ! I'm guessing you're the same age as me late 40's early 50's Were you ever an habitue' of The Moonstone (St John's Precinct) or Eric's (saw John there 78) ?
Right hand my coat and my beret I'm going home to Rock Ferry *

*poetic licence , Bootle actually, but it doesn't rhyme like in the song

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.