Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I've had the same discussion with my local record shop.

I think 6 different tracks (i.e. not remixes) of over 30 minutes should be an album otherwise it's an EP.
But see the Wiki.

Wiki EP definition:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_play

clear as mud smile
Brian

Last edited by Brian; 08/28/13 01:29 PM.
Brian #46625 08/30/13 09:17 AM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Indeed...

Is there a case for suggesting that an 'EP' is usually titled as per the lead track?

In my currency of old money, European Splendour 'is' an album...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
H
H
Originally Posted By: Birdsong

Indeed...

Is there a case for suggesting that an 'EP' is usually titled as per the lead track?

In my currency of old money, European Splendour 'is' an album...

But these days an album is normally 12-13 songs; it was only the limitations of vinyl that made "traditional" albums no more than 10 tracks and, say, 35-40 minutes.

On that basis I would argue that European Splendour is very much an EP or alternatively half an album.

Of course the Belbury Circle album is about the same length so if you add the two together you effectively have a new John Foxx album!

T
T
Originally Posted By: Birdsong

Indeed...

Interesting, but I would probably take the opposing view on this. From my experience, an EP is more likely to be called something other than any of the 4 (yes, 4! laugh ) tracks. Depends what examples you pick I think. It's all a bit woolly really. Maybe John's double 7 inch single could/should count as EP's? Or perhaps an EP is a 4 track single where all the tracks are potentially lead tracks? Less of an A side/B side thing.

Looking at the wiki entry though, I do like the concept of a "Double EP"!

C
C
Originally Posted By: Shadow Man
Oh, thank you cdave2 smile

You're very welcome. Hope you thoroughly enjoyed your birthday!

Originally Posted By: Shadow Man
But think of the CD included 2 tracks more - Evangeline David Lynch remix instrumental and Evangline radio edit. But it's not vinyl...

Not too worried about the instrumental, nor the radio edit if it's just that - an edit. If it's a remix, as the radio version of "Evergreen" was, that could change things. I couldn't tell from the samples on Amazon.

YES!

My vinyl copy arrived today - stunning looking.

And...um...when I eventually get a new deck that works, I'll be able to play it. frown

flippin eck!

I thought mine was late smile

Brian #46662 09/04/13 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Brian
flippin eck!

I thought mine was late smile

Heh! Nah - I just hadn't got round to ordering it!

I listened to European Splendour for the first time this morning and I have to say, I think it is absolutely brilliant. Refreshing. Moving. The best thing I've heard from John in a long time – vocally, musically and lyrically. Superb.

It really is something special.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.