Metamatic
Posted By: Birdsong EUROPEAN SPLENDOUR - 08/08/13 03:18 PM
Time to move this from NEWS to actual happenings!

The awesome video for this track by Gabriel Pulecio and Lorena Kraus hooks into the track's fading, slightly sinister sexuality, panning across lurid, fluorescent smokes and liquids under the flashing glare of distant dancefloor lights.

http://thequietus.com/articles/13033-john-foxx-jori-hulkkonen-evangeline-video

John Foxx just gets better. This is one of my favourite tracks probably for years - and it's coming (down the avenues) soon

Pre-order from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00DJ4JSZM/metamatic-21 (Compact
Disc)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00DPF5I5E/metamatic-21 (Vinyl)
Posted By: Herbert the turbot Re: EUROPEAN SPLENDOUR - 08/09/13 06:58 PM
I have to concur, "Evangeline" is the best thing John's done in years and in a curious way has been the soundtrack to the summer for me, in the same way "Europe After The Rain" was over 30 years ago. Not that it's been released yet but you can't blame a chap for recording the lo-fi streaming version off the BBC website! Needless to say I'll be buying the EP when it eventually comes out.

A bit of a dull video though, I'd rather Gabriel Pulecio and Lorena Kraus (whoever they are) had done the remix and David Lynch had directed the video!
Posted By: klibignaitis Re: EVANGELINE - 08/10/13 08:14 PM
This is just wonderful. It's such a powerful production and genuinely dream-like. The video is hypnotic too, a series of textures slowly drifting before your eyes. Absolutely love this. Even by John Foxx's standards, it's outstanding.
Posted By: Adam Re: EVANGELINE - 08/12/13 09:13 AM
I agree that this is a wonderful new track. Incredibly atmospheric and up there with his very best work.

Originally Posted By: klibignaitis
This is just wonderful. It's such a powerful production and genuinely dream-like. The video is hypnotic too, a series of textures slowly drifting before your eyes. Absolutely love this. Even by John Foxx's standards, it's outstanding.
Posted By: Scott Re: EVANGELINE - 08/12/13 03:00 PM
So am I correct in saying that if I buy this from Amazon I get a free download? Is that what the "autorip" is?
Posted By: Brian Re: EVANGELINE - 08/12/13 05:39 PM
On CD orders Yes it is.

Also anything you have previously bought from Amazon on CD is also available as well.

Brian
Posted By: Birdsong Re: EUROPEAN SPLENDOUR - 08/12/13 06:15 PM
Interesting that it's only on CD orders, not vinyl. That would be (more) useful too as it's easier to rip a CD. Isn't it?
Posted By: the church puddle Re: EUROPEAN SPLENDOUR - 08/14/13 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Birdsong

Interesting that it's only on CD orders, not vinyl. That would be (more) useful too as it's easier to rip a CD. Isn't it?

I agree but easier is probably the reason from their perspective as well wink unless scratches and vinyl hiss are too, I don't know, unique? Imagine that though, if they ripped your exact vinyl copy for your specific download?! I wouldn't know how I'd feel about that - violated or honoured?

More seriously though, a clean download for a vinyl purchase is often the norm these days, so you'd think they could do that.
Posted By: Birdsong Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/20/13 02:06 PM

Pitchfork has an exclusive video by Lustix of the new David Lynch 'Evangeline' remix

http://pitchfork.com/news/51922-listen-david-lynch-remixes-john-foxx-jori-hulkkonens-evangeline/

And you can read Jus Forrest review for The Electricty Club here:

http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/john-foxx-jori-hulkkonen-european-splendour/
Posted By: Your Shadow Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/21/13 01:48 PM
I've ordered the disc from Amazon. In the meantime I've been listening to it as a download from Amazon. I love all the tracks. Evangeline is especially gorgeous.One of the best tracks that John has been involved in for some time.
Posted By: MikeG Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/22/13 08:03 PM
My Amazon CD was waiting for me when I got home tonight. First listen….wow!... dramatic, powerful; the tunes unmistakeably Jori Hulkkonen, the words likewise John Foxx.

EPs from Mr Foxx have been rare to this point, but just like the Drive EP, I suspect this is going to sit high on my list of all-time favourite works.
Posted By: The Quiet Trees Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/24/13 04:07 PM
A big thumbs up for European Splendour from me too. It's impressive that all four songs are very strong. Here's hoping for an album from JF and JH.
Posted By: cdave2 Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/24/13 05:05 PM
Could anyone comment on the sound quality of the vinyl vs. the CD? I can only put one on my Christmas list and would appreciate hearing others' opinions. Thanks!
Posted By: Brian Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/24/13 06:16 PM
I've only had chance to,listen to side one of the vinyl.

Heard the whole CD version.

Vinyl seems to have move oomph.

More depth to it.Deeper bass.

Nice chunky thick vinyl as well.

Brian
Posted By: Shadow Man Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/25/13 11:10 AM
I got my packet of CD and Vinyl yesterday afternoon ( two days before my 50's - so it is a nice birthday present from John to me :))

What a great recording.I haven't listened to the tracks before, except Evangeline radio edit. Evangeline album version blew me away and the other 3 tracks a wonderful too. Very well made, John and Jori!

I cannot really hear big differences between the sound quality of CD/Vinyl. But this was not the reason I ordered both. For me, the Vinyl looks fantastic. But I think this has to do it is a bigger size than the CD - for me the reason vinyl record covers looks better than CD covers. I'm happy with both.

5stars of 5 from me for this EP!
Posted By: cdave2 Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/25/13 05:43 PM
Happy birthday, Shadow Man! smile

Thanks to you and Brian for your comments. Looks as if it will be the vinyl for me, assuming it doesn't sell out before Christmas. Fingers crossed!
Posted By: Shadow Man Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/26/13 11:25 AM
Oh, thank you cdave2 smile

But think of the CD included 2 tracks more - Evangeline David Lynch remix instrumental and Evangline radio edit. But it's not vinyl...

I'm sure you make your right decision!
Posted By: turntable Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/28/13 10:49 AM
My vinyl copy arrived today and playing it now.

Lovely dreamy electronica and sounds great. Pity all of John's releases are not on vinyl.

Is there going to be a full album or is this it?

With the great music John has been making with Benge, he is certainly on a roll
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/28/13 11:39 AM
Originally Posted By: turntable
My vinyl copy arrived today and playing it now.

Lovely dreamy electronica and sounds great. Pity all of John's releases are not on vinyl.

Is there going to be a full album or is this it?

When asked in an exclusive interview with this website, Jori confirmed that : "We haven't talked about an album, but it's hard to see this being our final record together, either.".

Rob
Posted By: Birdsong Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/28/13 01:08 PM

So when is an album...?

European Splendour has 6 tracks and runs for 37 minutes.

I have 'albums' with only four tracks on, and albums that run for less than 37 minutes

What defines 'an album'?
Posted By: Brian Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/28/13 01:23 PM
I've had the same discussion with my local record shop.

I think 6 different tracks (i.e. not remixes) of over 30 minutes should be an album otherwise it's an EP.
But see the Wiki.

Wiki EP definition:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_play

clear as mud smile
Brian

Posted By: Birdsong Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/30/13 09:17 AM

Indeed...

Is there a case for suggesting that an 'EP' is usually titled as per the lead track?

In my currency of old money, European Splendour 'is' an album...
Posted By: Herbert the turbot Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/30/13 06:37 PM

Indeed...

Is there a case for suggesting that an 'EP' is usually titled as per the lead track?

In my currency of old money, European Splendour 'is' an album...

But these days an album is normally 12-13 songs; it was only the limitations of vinyl that made "traditional" albums no more than 10 tracks and, say, 35-40 minutes.

On that basis I would argue that European Splendour is very much an EP or alternatively half an album.

Of course the Belbury Circle album is about the same length so if you add the two together you effectively have a new John Foxx album!
Posted By: the church puddle Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/30/13 07:36 PM

Indeed...

Interesting, but I would probably take the opposing view on this. From my experience, an EP is more likely to be called something other than any of the 4 (yes, 4! laugh ) tracks. Depends what examples you pick I think. It's all a bit woolly really. Maybe John's double 7 inch single could/should count as EP's? Or perhaps an EP is a 4 track single where all the tracks are potentially lead tracks? Less of an A side/B side thing.

Looking at the wiki entry though, I do like the concept of a "Double EP"!
Posted By: cdave2 Re: EUROPEAN SLENDOUR - 08/31/13 04:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Shadow Man
Oh, thank you cdave2 smile

You're very welcome. Hope you thoroughly enjoyed your birthday!

Originally Posted By: Shadow Man
But think of the CD included 2 tracks more - Evangeline David Lynch remix instrumental and Evangline radio edit. But it's not vinyl...

Not too worried about the instrumental, nor the radio edit if it's just that - an edit. If it's a remix, as the radio version of "Evergreen" was, that could change things. I couldn't tell from the samples on Amazon.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: EUROPEAN SPLENDOUR - 09/02/13 02:55 PM
YES!

My vinyl copy arrived today - stunning looking.

And...um...when I eventually get a new deck that works, I'll be able to play it. frown
Posted By: Brian Re: EUROPEAN SPLENDOUR - 09/02/13 03:00 PM
flippin eck!

I thought mine was late smile
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: EUROPEAN SPLENDOUR - 09/04/13 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Brian
flippin eck!

I thought mine was late smile

Heh! Nah - I just hadn't got round to ordering it!
Posted By: Alex S Re: EUROPEAN SPLENDOUR - 09/05/13 09:16 AM
I listened to European Splendour for the first time this morning and I have to say, I think it is absolutely brilliant. Refreshing. Moving. The best thing I've heard from John in a long time – vocally, musically and lyrically. Superb.
Posted By: Steve Roby Re: EUROPEAN SPLENDOUR - 09/05/13 10:48 PM
It really is something special.
Posted By: MemberD Re: EUROPEAN SPLENDOUR - 09/25/13 09:47 AM

John Foxx Goes To Hollywood ...

http://www.hollywood.com/news/brief/55031378/fascinating-fact
© Metamatic