Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
The forthcoming release from John Foxx and Jori Hulkkonen is entitled European Splendour - and is available on both CD and twelve inch vinyl. The respective track-listings are as follows...

Compact Disc

01. Evangeline
02. Strictly
03. Something Is Coming Down The Avenues
04. Can't See You Anymore
05. Evangeline (David Lynch Remix)
06. Evangeline (David Lynch Instrumental)
07. Evangeline (Radio Edit)

12 Inch Vinyl

Side One
A1. Evangeline
A2. Strictly
Side Two
B1. Something Is Coming Down The Avenues
B2. Can't See You Anymore
B3. Evangeline (David Lynch Remix)

The artwork for both the Compact Disc and 12 Inch Vinyl editions is by Jonathan Barnbrook.

Both editions are currently available to pre-order, but aren't scheduled for release until the 19th of August.

Rob

Nice cover smile

The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Alex S
Nice cover smile

Yeah, both of them... :-)

Oh yes, so there are! I'm actually preferring the vinyl artwork..

R
R
Okay, so I give up! Where's the God-damned artwork you shifty buggers?! wink

This sounds really cool! As much as I enjoy 'The Maths', it gets a bit too Moog at times, so it's nice to hear John go a bit 'dark' again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies, chaps ... subsequent sh!t-for-brains update - try clicking on the hidden links! Yes, agreed ... the vinyl artwork is superior.

I agree. I enjoyed the vintage analogue sound of the Maths, but after Evidence, I was ready for a change and a different sound.

Looking forward to hearing the rest!

The artwork is on the store pages.

12 inch:-

CD:-

Brian

Actually, I prefer the CD artwork after all.

An exciting new visual direction* to go with exciting new sonic direction smile

*With a nod to the classic Foxx designs of Cathedral Oceans.

I think I like the CD cover as well.

Barnbrook seems to be running with classic Foxx design ideas this time around as you say.

Brian

Last edited by Brian; 06/20/13 10:27 AM.
I believe they are among his influences (as you can see on the interview with him for the V&A Bowie exhibition)

I wonder why "Foxx" isn't italicised...

First time JF+JH ?.. previously it was always JH feat. JF ..

right?

Given that it's just 4 tracks and 3 remixes, should I class this release an album, EP or single?!

Either way, I find David Lynch's involvement quite interesting - anyone know how this came about?

Last edited by Alex S; 06/20/13 03:55 PM.
Great news. I really looking forward to these releases. Like both artworks and yes, the CD is very John Foxx style. I order both as soon we can do it.

The full artwork from Sugarcane Recordings page:-

Administrator
Administrator

Can't see that anywhere. Do you still have a live link, Brian?

Hi Martin.

Partway down the page on the right:-

https://www.facebook.com/SugarcaneRecordings

Or the link off my twitpic account:-

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNOQEN2CQAAaOfP.jpg

Brian

Administrator
Administrator

Lol! Thanx - I'm so old skool.

I went to the Sugarcane website - which hasn't been updated for about a year... frown

The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
The Compact Disc version of European Splendour is (as of 01.07.2013) available to pre-order from Amazon for less than £5.00

Rob

Cheers Rob,

By the way.

Now all Amazon CDs also come with a new feature called autorip.

This gives you access to every CD you have ever purchased from Amazon in MP3 format without paying extra.

Today it allowed me to download the Mp3 of Editors new album before the physical CD arrived.

Brian

M
M
I'm not a big fan of vinyl records but I'll probably buy both CD and 12".

Originally Posted By: Rob Harris
The Compact Disc version of European Splendour is (as of 01.07.2013) available to pre-order from Amazon for less than £5.00

Rob

The Amazon page now says "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available", without a listed price. Perhaps they'd temporarily gone insane when they put it up for less than a fiver!

Now £5.99.

The Quietus featurette here

Quote:
Foxx explains that it's: "[a] Lynchian love story set against the background of a convulsed Europe - where New York is the capital of France, Rome has moved to Manhattan and declared itself a republic, and New Neon Blackpool has outstripped Las Vegas and London as the playground of Sino-Russian oligarchs. It’s based in a Eurozone where dark forces insinuate the cafes, alleyways and penthouses."

Cheers for posting Mark.

The other interesting bit of that Interview is that the statue on the cover is John Foxx sculpture.

Brian

Tweeted by RadcliffeMaconieShow
Quote:

#nowplaying BRAND NEW FIRST PLAY of John Foxx @foxxmetamedia single Evangeline @BBC6Music

https://twitter.com/BBCRadMac/status/355317763486658560

..pity we missed it.

Cheers for letting us know.

I missed it too.

Will look out for it on iplayer a bit later

Brian

Ah but I did just find this preview clip on Soundcloud of a track called can't see you anymore.

https://soundcloud.com/sugarcane/john-foxx-jori-hulkkonen-cant-see-you-anymore

Brian

Administrator
Administrator

Can't See You Anymore is an exceptionally good track - especially for a 'fourth track'.
Destined to be one of John's hidden masterpieces. His road map is littered with these jewels lying in the glare of the shiny lead tracks

This is a brilliant project. John and Jori seem to have a real understanding.

some more Sugarcane Recordings Promo artwork

Brian

Last edited by Brian; 07/11/13 06:42 PM.
Administrator
Administrator

Evangeline was indeed aired today on BBC6Music with Radcliffe and Maconie. It's another SUPERB track. As they say - beautiful, elegaic neo-Gregorian.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b036lk6r

You can find the premier broadcast of the song at approximately 1:25:40

This EP is really very beautiful indeed.

Agreed its very very good,very dreamy.

Brian

This is the most excited I've felt about a new Foxx release in a long time, with this EP and the Ghost Box release.

A nice return to more psychedelic-based music yet with all the same familiar themes of streets, avenues and all that.

Liked both tracks that have been leaked - especially...

Evangeline ---> BBC Radio 6 - JF and JH on at 1:25

but this is good too:

Can't See You Anymore ---> Track on Soundcloud

Last edited by solenoid; 07/12/13 11:39 PM.
K
K
I've just heard Angeline and it's one of my favourite Foxx tracks already. It's hugely dream-like, and John's voice has rarely been better. Cannot wait to own the EP!

H
H
Well, what a revelation! Only heard the two tracks so far but if the rest of the EP is up to scratch this could well be the best thing John's done since his 1980s heyday!

To be honest, the recent Maths output has been so uninspiring I was starting to wonder if John was losing interest and just bunging out a "will this do?" album every few months just to pay the bills.

On both Evangeline and Something Is Coming Down The Avenues however, for the first time in a long time, the arrangements sound like a lot of effort has gone into making them rich and lush, with haunting melodies and evocative lyrics. I await the full EP release with great interest.

H
H
Oh and does anyone else find Soundcloud really temperamental?
Most time I click on the links on this thread, I get taken to the site but no sound plays, no matter how many times I click the "play/pause" button.

Administrator
Administrator
Originally Posted By: Herbert the turbot
Well, what a revelation! Only heard the two tracks so far but if the rest of the EP is up to scratch this could well be the best thing John's done since his 1980s heyday!

To be honest, the recent Maths output has been so uninspiring I was starting to wonder if John was losing interest and just bunging out a "will this do?" album every few months just to pay the bills.

On both Evangeline and Something Is Coming Down The Avenues however, for the first time in a long time, the arrangements sound like a lot of effort has gone into making them rich and lush, with haunting melodies and evocative lyrics. I await the full EP release with great interest.

*[Like]*

The Archive
OP Offline
The Archive
The vinyl edition of European Splendour is now available to pre-order from Amazon.

Rob

H
H
Just one misgiving; as it stands 3 of the 4 new tracks on this release are already available to stream online in full.

Whilst I'm sure we diehards will buy the EP, perhaps the average curious fan might be tempted to just use a software package to record the streaming audio and not bother buying the actual CD. Perhaps it would have been better to just preview one or two track with a 30 second sample rather than the full length versions?

Administrator
Administrator
Good point, well made.

I concur. For me, it's less about the sales (I don't know the figures) but an element of surprise and anticipation is lost by listening to too many previews.

However, It's been suggested to me that streaming and previews actually drive sales. Interesting. ..?

Last edited by Birdsong; 07/20/13 09:24 AM.
But the sound quality of streamed versions will not be a patch on the CD or Vinyl release.

Also we've not heard anything yet of the David Lynch remixes and the full version of Evangaline so there is still a lot to look forward to.

Brian

Administrator
Administrator

Seems I'd be wrong :

Piracy may be the bane of the music industry but according to a new study, it may also be its engine. A report from the BI Norwegian School of Management has found that those who download music illegally are also 10 times more likely to pay for songs than those who don't.

This Norwegian study looked at almost 2,000 online music users, all over the age of 15. Researchers found that those who downloaded "free" music – whether from lawful or seedy sources – were also 10 times more likely to pay for music. This would make music pirates the industry's largest audience for digital sales....

[url=http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/21/study-finds-pirates-buy-more-music?CMP=twt_gu][/url]

T
T
Time to pre-order I guess. It sounds from the comments I am reading that it will be well worth it. As usual I am not doing the previews ...

Administrator
Administrator
I've decided to lock this topic, and move all further comments please into the 'EVANGELINE' thread under 'John Foxx'

http://www.metamatic.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/46545/EVANGELINE#Post46545

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.