Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 726 of 753 1 2 724 725 726 727 728 752 753
T
T
The Shape Of Things and bonus disc. According to Nemone TSOT is John's new one. I think there's Evidence that isn't the case. smile

Marc & The Mambas: Torment & Toreros. Music for a gloomy monday.

...And my expanded 70s compilation. Warning - contains a few eyebrow raisers :):

The Hustle - Van McCoy
Yes Sir, I Can Boogie - Baccara
Magic Fly - Space
More More More (Extended Version)- Andrea True Connection
I Feel Love (12 Inch) - Donna Summer
The Shuffle - Van McCoy
Sorry I'm A Lady - Baccara
You Should Be Dancing - The Bee Gees
The Crunch - The RAH Band
December 1963 (Oh, What A Night - The Four Seasons
Silver Star - The Four Seasons
Oh Lori - Alessi
Oh Boy (The Mood I'm In) - Brotherhood Of Man
Angelo - Brotherhood Of Man
Ding-A-Dong - Teach-In
Northern Lights - Renaissance
Mississippi - Pussycat

I
I
Originally Posted By: The Quiet Trees
The Shape Of Things and bonus disc. According to Nemone TSOT is John's new one. I think there's Evidence that isn't the case. smile

...And my expanded 70s compilation. Warning - contains a few eyebrow raisers :):

The Hustle - Van McCoy
Magic Fly - Space
The Shuffle - Van McCoy
Oh Lori - Alessi
Ding-A-Dong - Teach-In
Mississippi - Pussycat

Sheesh QT you are making me feel old . I know all of them apart from the crunch Fine choice of Alessi I can't be arsed googling but wasn't Ding -a - Dong The Netherland's entry for Eurovision ? Probably beaten into second place by the aforementioned Brotherhood of Man or some French bird singing about a street , a tree and a bench

Nay, Ding a Dong was def a winner, and quite rightly so, in 1975, the year after Abba's epic Euro-victoire, and I know all that without googling .. I am a very sad person.

Boom Bang a Bang!

T
T
Ding-A-Dong is my second favourite Eurovision winner. I don't think I need to say what's my very fave!

Here's The Crunch, Ivan. Betcha do remember it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGs2m5J55kk

The Rah Band was actually just Richard Anthony Hewson. Hence RAH.

The band who performed The Crunch on Top Of The Pops were all session musicians. Richard Hewson was unable to do it owing to a prior booking to arrange another artist's work. The frontman sports what must be one of the most bizarre and uncool outfits in Top Of The Pops history, while incongrously the two guitarists look incredibly cool and ahead of their time. The drummer merely looks a few years out of date. All in all vintage TOTPs, and that week's show climaxed with Legs & Co dancing to 'I Feel Love' at number 1. Could anything be better? grin

The clip is the original single dubbed onto the TOTPs film. The session band's attempt at The Crunch was as anaemic as New Order's infamous performance of Blue Monday on the show six years later. Richard Hewson couldn't believe The Crunch continued to climb the charts after it!

The Rah Band's only other major hit was the completely different but rather good 'Clouds Across The Moon' in '85. Kind of to the mid-eighties what 'I Lost My Heart To A Starship Trooper' was to the disco era. smile

I
I
Sterling stuff Mr Trees ! I recognise it now Very eclectic Where else could you expect to see Prince . a PLO* member and various renegades from The Glitter Band and Chicory Tip in a synth -led jam sessuon ?
Yasser* , they can boogie !!

T
T
Originally Posted By: Ivan Basso
Sterling stuff Mr Trees ! I recognise it now Very eclectic Where else could you expect to see Prince . a PLO* member and various renegades from The Glitter Band and Chicory Tip in a synth -led jam sessuon ?
Yasser* , they can boogie !!

Ha Ha! Brilliant summation of the 'band'.

T
T
Originally Posted By: The Quiet Trees

The Hustle - Van McCoy
Magic Fly - Space
The Shuffle - Van McCoy
Oh Lori - Alessi
Ding-A-Dong - Teach-In
Mississippi - Pussycat

Two great Van McCoy choices there!

T
T
[quote=the church puddle

Two great Van McCoy choices there! [/quote]

Yeah, both works of genius in encapsulating/creating the zeitgeist of seventies' light summery disco. Like most people these are the only tracks I know from the sadly curtailed ouevre of Mr McCoy, so if anyone has any suggestions for further listening...

David Bedford - The Odyssey.

I got to this via Bedford's connection and work with Mike Oldfield in the 70s. They were bandmates in Kevin Ayer's The Whole World , and Bedford went on to orchestrate both Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge, Oldfield's first two studio albums.

Oldfield also plays guitar on this amazing opus by Bedford, originally released in 1976 (one track also appeared on MO's Boxed box-set). What's amazing about it though are the keyboards - Bedford proudly boasts playing an ARP 2600 synthesiser, Stringman string sythesiser, Hammond organ, as well as clavinet, vibraphone, cymbal, gong and, er, wine-glasses.
Bedford denied being a proficient keyboard player although this work is a masterpiece of OTT mid-70's keyboard music, complimented (but not smothered) by nifty guitar work by Oldfield and Andy Summers (months away from joining The Police).
Bedford's Odyssey was also performed live in 1977 at the RAH with no less than ten keyboard players .. surely that would've been a sight to see.
Apparently a recording exists. The hunt continues...

Sadly, Bedford died last year.

I
I
Originally Posted By: MemberD

David Bedford - The Odyssey.

I got to this via Bedford's connection and work with Mike Oldfield in the 70s. They were bandmates in Kevin Ayer's The Whole World , and Bedford went on to orchestrate both Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge, Oldfield's first two studio albums.

Oldfield also plays guitar on this amazing opus by Bedford, originally released in 1976 (one track also appeared on MO's Boxed box-set). What's amazing about it though are the keyboards - Bedford proudly boasts playing an ARP 2600 synthesiser, Stringman string sythesiser, Hammond organ, as well as clavinet, vibraphone, cymbal, gong and, er, wine-glasses.
Bedford denied being a proficient keyboard player although this work is a masterpiece of OTT mid-70's keyboard music, complimented (but not smothered) by nifty guitar work by Oldfield and Andy Summers (months away from joining The Police).
Bedford's Odyssey was also performed live in 1977 at the RAH with no less than ten keyboard players .. surely that would've been a sight to see.
Apparently a recording exists. The hunt continues...

Sadly, Bedford died last year.

Yes the great Rick Wakeman did inspire a lot of tribute bands back in the mid 70's my dear Membs . Still as the man who carries the name of our local airport once famously opined "Whatever gets you through the night "

Page 726 of 753 1 2 724 725 726 727 728 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.