Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 82 of 753 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 752 753
I
I
22 track compilation from French magazine Rock et Folk Quite good "Of Montreal The Bishops Emily Haines Les Breastfeeders* and 68 year old ex head honcho of Mott Ian Hunter** amongst others Quite good really
* French plural article not name as in ex Mud singer

** Must have went to school with John !!!!!
(0nly joking but we 'll have to find his birthdate out)

Having driven to town and back, through several diversions in the pouring rain, I have been kept in great company by 'Crash & Burn'.

Pink Floyd's 'Obscured by Clouds' is currently spinning downstairs.

Sarah laugh

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
and this guy:-

OK, so its a kind of mad 'pub quiz' idea...
*hehehe*

richie hawtin ! ;-)

i'm currently listening to a bunch of promo cds that i've got by various artists in the past month , as it's usually not the easiest listening process & some stuff of it is rather horrible , but then again ... u ( almost ;-) always find a few hidden gems in there too ! ;-)

so far i'm still searching for the really good stuff ... ;-)

C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Just gone through a series of mp3's of live recordings of The Associates. Interesting to find that much of the masterpiece Sulk had been recorded and played live by the end of 1980, which is a good 2 years before it´s release. The sound is very guitar driven and very rough but the songs were there, even the unreleased follow up to 18 Carat Love Affair, Australia.

Through the Situation 2 period in 1981 The Associates started to experiment with synthesisers, although the 2 best tracks out of these experiments, Party Fears Two and Club Country were reserved for the demo tape sent to Warners.

The Associates had considerable time to arrive at their lush sound of Sulk . Perhaps the arrival of Martha Ladly ex Martha and the Muffins helped on the B-side of the album ie the new tracks Skipping and Nothing in Something Particular. The single Love Hangover was another result of this collaboration.

The follow up to Sulk would have been interesting with Ladly taking a greater role not only in the arrangements but also in the songwriting . 18 Carat Love Affair, Love Hangover, Australia and Waiting for the Loveboat would have been an integral part of the new album. Billy before the recording of the album and even before the Sulk World Tour decided to disband. He never liked mega tours and fame. A dissapointment but his later work yielded some classics. Funnily enough he kept The Associates name.

Billy Mackenzie RIP was truly a maverick and his songs and voice still remain fresh in our ears and hearts.

God Bless you Billy!

Chris C wink

Waking up with Propaganda's 'A Secret Wish' today.

Also got Japan's 'In Vogue' and plenty of John Foxx lined up to follow.

Happy Sunday!

Sarah laugh

I was never into Propaganda.

But I've heard Claudia's voice on OneTwo tracks recently, and she sounds amazing. That bit of accent really works.

Have I mentioned OneTwo before?
It's the Paul Humpries (OMD) / Claudia Brucken (Propaganda) thing. Really good.

Try:

http://www.myspace.com/weareonetwo
http://www.theremusic.com

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
It's the Paul Humpries (OMD) / Claudia Brucken (Propaganda) thing.
it's somehow still funny , how people can write paul's surname wrong ( not even mentioning claudia's surname ;-) ! *hehehe*

so fyi : the guy is called HUMPHREYS & the lady BRÜCKEN ! ;-)

cheers ! :-)

p. s. : i better NOT tell u , what my real surname is & how it should be written correctly ! ;-)

“The way it was in the past…”

The Human League – ‘Travelogue’; quite possibly my favourite album of all time. I deliberately haven’t listened to this album since 2002 as I reckon I had played it at least 2-3 times a week, every week since 1983 and was beginning to get very worried for my sanity eek . Locking it away also meant that I would actually get off my backside and listen to new stuff.

Well, I’ve listened to lots of new music, been to lots of gigs/happenings/ one-off-life-affirming-moments and…’Travelogue’ is still quite possibly my favourite album of all time! laugh

“Pick ‘Hit’ or ‘Phone-In’ show; I don’t want you to go tonight…”

I’m off to run-round the garden in my mothers shoes… laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
“The way it was in the past…”

The Human League – ‘Travelogue’;
Good shout Beach. Timeless classic. I read recently about a cover version of Black Hit of Space, video on YouTube too methinks too. Don't know if the chanteuse quotes "Get James Burke on the case" which has to be one of the best lines/rhymes of all time. Remember James Burke on Thursday nights? Brilliant. (.. furtively googles James Burke ).

Back on topic. Grabbed Simple Minds Sons & Fascination CD to listen to in the traffic this morning. Great sound, great toons.

Cheers D!

I've been meaning to pick up the re-issues of 'Empires & Dance' and 'Sons & Fascination’ for some time. 'Empires & Dance' was easily their best album and the b-sides (I’m assuming the re-issues have all the b-sides) during their 'Sons & Fascination/Sister Feeling Call’ era are stunning. I confess, I lost interest in them after that.

Regarding ‘Travelogue’ – is the 2003 re-master any good? I was put off buying when I put the original CD issue of ‘Reproduction’ and they’d screwed up the intro to ‘Path of Least Resistance’. And yes, I remember James Burke!

Page 82 of 753 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.