Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Modreno for me, but I like them all!!

Last edited by Birdsong; 11/14/11 07:36 PM.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Should it get the single CD issue, then I hope the collab with Tara Busch is included. I have the double so "I'm sorted" as it were, but ti would be a great shame for other's not to hear it and have it.

"Where You End and I Begin" would make a good bonus track, but I don't think it fits in with the rest of the album at all – and I guess that's why it was put on CD2.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

In hindsight, which is wonderfully unfair, I was thinking that maybe ONLY the bonus disc of remixes should have been issued as a tour exclusive. Including the Tara Busch track (a NEW track always makes something more appealling on the merchandise desk), AND the Gazelle Twin remix as well.

Then a full album release with all the impact and trimmings for The Shape Of Things 1xCD as a single 'follow up album' later.

We all have different ideas about things like "how we would have done it"...

I don't know how many packs of TSOT 2xCD have been printed, but until they are sold out I can't see why there should be a second 'single disc' release at all?

Or am I just having a bad day...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
If worrying too much about The Shape of Things equates to a bad day, then maybe I'd seek professional help wink

But it is interesting how this release has thrown up such thoughts and conversations. it's a good album - therefore it warrants a proper/full release (anybody disagree?). Through that I think there are a few simple factors...

- not all Foxx fans could make it to the tour, so missed the CD
- some people may not like the idea of having to buy the CD from just one online outlet
- some people may only discover Interplay at a later date, then wanting TSOT, only to be disappointed
- a single CD release might lessen overpriced online auctions

C
C
Yes, I'm in agreement about this, and particularly with Martins thought that the bonus disc could have been a gig exclusive during the tour period, (and in fairness to all it could become a wider release at some other date for everyone not attending any show). The Shape Of Things would have made a good general release follow-up album to Interplay, perhaps early next year.

Actually, I forgot to mention that I also think it would have worked better that way.

The tour exclusive being the remixes and one new track would have done nicely, providing a suitable filler between Interplay and TSOT.

It does feel like TSOT hasn't been picked up by many - even the general absence of praise for it on here has surprised me. Though I'm not saying I'm not happy having it - on the contrary! But it does feel slightly rushed. That gives it a certain charm and feel, but with a bit more gestation time, I wonder how it may have differed.

All hypothetical anyway, since the album is already out and it isn't suddenly going to suck back out of our collections and be released in a blaze of glory next year!

C
C
Originally Posted By: Alex S
It does feel like TSOT hasn't been picked up by many - even the general absence of praise for it on here has surprised me

I'm saving my praise Alex as I only just got my copy from Townsend last week, so far not even broke the shrinkwrap. I was cash-strapped at the gig, and I already had a few other new CD's that I've been listening/returning to, hate to hear more than one or two at a time as too many spoil the enjoyment, so TSOT is presently being saved for my 100% attention!

I relate! For me it was all about the combination of listening to fresh new music while enjoying the post-gig buzz.

For what it's worth I also think the design and packaging (cover aside) beats Interplay's.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

I wasn't implying in any way that The Shape Of Things was rushed! Far from it - I think its a brilliant album, well-produced, great packaging etc etc.

It captures that sense of urgency and immediacy very well in line with John's philosophy of do it, don't over-plan it. If it works in one take - print. It FEELS really intense and perfect for all the right reasons.

Last edited by Birdsong; 11/15/11 05:12 PM.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.