Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
I seem to remember that we were going to have a thread for each venue so I've started one.

Anyway the only track played from The Shape of things at Leamington.

The Shadow of his former self:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsiOTRD-fKI

Brian

Administrator
Administrator
I htought about that, but haven't got round to it and people are posting about each gig in the inteprlay thread anyway.

Perhaps that makes them easier to find...

Either way, thanks for the film.
Not sure aboutthis track yet - maybe its a grower.

What do other people think of it?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
I like this track a lot Martin.It has really grown on me.

One of my many personal highlights of the album

Brian

Last edited by Brian; 10/16/11 06:10 PM.
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
Just posted another one from the night Interplay:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpCdYF9QWt4

Thank you for the link. I enjoyed this song and I've still ages to wait for the London concert.

Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
I've finally got around to doing my Brian dump.Had to write it down before I forget it.

Today is my first chance to write anything about Thursday’s show & VIP experience at Leamington Spa Assembly.

I bought a VIP ticket and didn’t really know what to expect.

I started queuing outside the venue at around ten past 4.

I had a quick chat with people in the queue most of whom were English, one was Australian & one was from the west coast of the USA.

Eventually a door opened at the side of the building and Steve Malins popped out to collect us.

We went into a find a beautiful venue.

Steve handed us all our cellophane sealed copies of the Shape of Things, The Gazelle Twin remix CD of A Falling Star & a VIP laminate with the Interplay Logo on it.

We all sat on the back row.

Foxx & the Maths were all already sound checking.

Well more than that actually. They were doing run throughs of whole songs like Shatterproof, Evergreen & Catwalk. It was like being treated to our own private Foxx show all be it with some interruptions sometimes from the guy on the sound desk fault finding instrument sounds & levels occasionally.

Eventually I bumped into Rob Harris & his friend Rob & also Chris Curran and it was nice to catch-up with all of them.

Sound check seemed to go on for ages. Eventually it ended & Steve took us out to the bar area & we all sat around a few tables. John eventually came out and chatted with us all. We all introduced ourselves and he did a Q&A session.

One guy asked if he still had his CR78 drum machine & he said he did but was a bit wonky. The fill button no longer worked. He explained that they still record from it but in short sections because it no longer kept its tempo without going off time.

Not knowing much about CR78s because they were pre-Midi I asked if there was a way he could run it off an external clock. He said he didn’t think so and then asked if I knew anyone who could repair and without really thinking I said no.
Whilst driving home later I remember that Shaun Brooks has several CR78s and he probably would know a man who can. I contacted him yesterday & he does know a man who can so hopefully he will have it repaired. I can’t imagine John Foxx with a faulty CR78 its just wrong.

Time was running short so John started signing stuff & having pictures taken. I got my Shape of Things CD signed and also the Gazelle Twin remix. One guy even got his Boss Drum machine signed.

I then had to run to the chippy to get some fast food because Tara Busch was due on quite soon. Came back in & had a quick pint with Rob Harris & Brigid. While we were at the bar Mr Illektrik turned up and also Ken Harrison who had a photo pass and a massive new camera.

Then it was time for the support. I will put a clip later of Tara Busch performing Rocket Wife.

She was magnificent and has an amazing voice. She was getting some really deep trouser quaking low notes out of her Moog (John say’s she corrects him all of the time she pronounces it Mogue! Being American)

I think she was perfect for the support act and as said elsewhere on this forum she deserves to be a superstar.

Her music has many influences part Bjork epic part something else. I’ve heard nothing else like her voice. People usually stay in the pub for the support but if you miss her set you will be missing something special.

John Foxx & the Maths then appeared in a set that comprised 18 tracks beginning with Shatterproof & ending with Underpass.

I really enjoyed the set. There were a few rough edges. This is to be expected as it was the very first show. For example the bass on Interplay had a bum note at the very start but the rest of the song was played very well. I will post a clip later.

Violin was used on quite a few tracks to quite interesting effect. I liked the violin.

As Brigid said in her blog the seating created a barrier that was not really broken down until Catwalk. The gap at the front was like a de-militarised zone with no-one daring to set foot into it apart from Ken who was togging. The exact same thing happened in 2009 & 2010 with the reformed Ultravox.Earlier gigs were all seated. By the time of Sheffield last year Ultravox were doing all standing gigs. These worked much better and added massively to the experience of the night.

The gig ended with Underpass & everyone on their feet crowded around the stage.

John looked visibly happier once the crowd were on their feet.

After the show a few of us hung around for John to come out which he did.
He signed some more stuff for people and was chatting.

I managed to grab a few words before I went. By that time I’ve taken a picture of the set list which it transpires was not in the order that they ended up playing it & was missing the Ultravox B-side Crossfade.

I asked John about this and he said they rehearsed many more tracks than could fit in the allotted time and in the end they had to go with the ones that were working best. I asked if it would appear in time for Bristol and he said he didn’t know. I mentioned about the Violin working really well and he said that the Maths were responsible for re-arranging the songs with violin on them. All credit to them I say. Good job.

Then it was chucking out time.

I really enjoyed the show and the VIP experience was better than I could have imagined. For those who have not seen it yet you are in for a treat.

Roll on Bristol.

Last edited by Brian; 10/16/11 08:06 PM.
Brian Offline OP
OP Offline
Tara Busch performs Rocket Wife @ Leamington:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsEmjm2pOjU

Thanks Brian - sounds as if the VIP pass was worth it if only for the private show and the Q&A.

More videos here via foxxwrok (Evergreen / Catwalk / Liquid):
http://www.youtube.com/user/foxxwrok?feature=digest_refresh_sun#p/u

and Dislocation
http://youtu.be/-nlb9nKsX68

Last edited by MemberD; 10/17/11 08:08 AM. Reason: added Dislocation link.
Tara Busch's take on joint LS gig-and-birthday-party ..

http://analogsuicide.com/latest/2011/10/...y-and-show.html

Hug a Dalek!

Thanks for the heads up about my videos MemberD! I had posted them in the Interplay Tour 2011 thread, but any publicity is good publicity!
Cheers, John. (foxxwrok on Youtube)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.