Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Spontaneous is the best word, perhaps.

I recall in one of the pre-tour radio interviews John was discussing the necessity of fast-working.

T
T
Originally Posted By: core memory
Originally Posted By: Alex S
It does feel like TSOT hasn't been picked up by many - even the general absence of praise for it on here has surprised me

I'm saving my praise Alex as I only just got my copy from Townsend last week, so far not even broke the shrinkwrap. I was cash-strapped at the gig, and I already had a few other new CD's that I've been listening/returning to, hate to hear more than one or two at a time as too many spoil the enjoyment, so TSOT is presently being saved for my 100% attention!

I'm also saving it, although I am not quite sure why or for when. One day, hopefully in 2011, the time will be right for it. Sometimes I think the perfect album is the one you read lots of good things about (which is certainly true of TSOT) but will never hear. Albums that sound like they sound incredible. On a similar note but a lesser volume, I have never heard Tiger Lily which I find quite astonishing sometimes ...

Originally Posted By: the church puddle
On a similar note but a lesser volume, I have never heard Tiger Lily which I find quite astonishing sometimes ...

There are probably some fans who wish they hadn't heard Tiger Lily. I got the reissued 7" in the early 80s and liked Ain't Misbehavin' for its silliness but have probably listened to Monkey Jive in its entirety three or four times in my life.

Listening to The Shape of Things for the first time. So far, so good.

J
J
My copy finally arrived, and on first listen, what more can I say than that I love it!

The packaging is stunning, a lot nicer than what I was expecting (actually, I didn't know what to expect), but I was pleasantly surprised with the hardcover presentation.

And the music absolutely blows me away. This is what I was originally expecting from The Maths. When Interplay was released, although I love that album, it was quite different from what I had originally pictured.

I take my hat off to John and Benge, they've put together a fantastic piece of work, complimenting Interplay perfectly.

Perhaps this album is also closer to John's original ideas for The Maths - the 'poppiness' of Interplay took everyone by surprise, I think!

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I realise I have been a bit negative in some of my comments on how The Shape Of Things has been presented, which I want to make sure don't distract from the fact that I think it's a SUPERB album in terms of the music on it.
Which after all is what really matters!!

There have been some comparisons between the pairing of this and Interplay with the 'From Trash' and 'Sideways' releases in 2006/07. I can see why!

Was it really that long ago??
The difference this time round for me is that I love Interplay as well, whereas its quite well-known in these parts that I don't rate From Trash very highly at all and IMHO Sideways is a much superior piece of work.

There are three elements of The Shape Of Things which I particularly like:

One is the sense of theme and overall 'togetherness' of the tracks, which seem to take Foxx as close as he has ever come to a 'concept' album. That sense of looking back, reflecting on times, places, lovers and a life 'unlived' is something I can personally relate to directly. I feel the longing, the affection, the importance of those Never Moments - glances, shapes, whispers that all hint of things that form our memory.
The influence of the past on the present, and how it shapes who we are and where we have perhaps not quite been.
The lyrics present a lot of 'what ifs' - some for better and some for worse. It comes across more strongly on this album as a common theme than I think it does in any other album, especially because the actual 'sound' of the tracks themselves is particularly diverse.

Which is the second element that appeals to me. The way that all the aural fragments and bits and pieces are so cleverly linked and interwoven.
I'm curious to know what other people think of the mixture of instrumental and vocal pieces here - I would imagine we have a diverse range of opinions on that.
I think it really works, and the tiny colour soundtracks inbetween the songs serve as breaks in the thought process, dividing the album into vague chapters. The middle part is the strongest, beginning with Modreno - clever that - and going through the discordant feedback or organised noise that is Falling Away. Foxx plays guitar here himself I believe. An unusual track, and now among my 'personal best' in his latter career. Then the two 80s throwback songs Invisible Ray and Vapour Trails, which sound like they were recorded twenty years ago. Stylistically, I think that's inspired too.
This middle third closes with Buddwing which is great title (I'd not heard of the film before) and also brings a lot of things together despite being so short. It's partly Cathedral Oceans, partly Tiny Colour Movies, partly Nighthwaks, partly Metalbeat...
It's this section of the album (the 'golden' section...?) that I reckon captures that unfinished-ness, that sense of immediacy and the not-quite-perfect sound we have talked about above.

And that's the other part that TSOT represents to me. It draws together lots of sonic ideas, bits of melody, loops and sequences that John has revisited throughout his career and bundles them all up into on 45 minute package. Which of course neatly parallels the lyrical theme.
I think it is one of the most quintessential John Foxx albums, that brings together the whole assembly more effectively than any other so far.

It also takes The Maths sound forward and closer to the beginning.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Great post Martin, and a spot on analysis. I'd say it's Foxx's most emotive writing for a while, ad there is a strong sense of reflection and melancholy throughout the album and as you say, a lot of those 'what ifs?', which I think is always a fascinating subject, just like fate.

Listening closely, TSOT has links to Metamatic, Tiny Colour Movies, Systems of Romance, Nation12 and The Pleasures of Electricity. I really like the instrumental segues between tracks - there's just enough of them to keep to keep things short and interesting.

Only "Vapour Trails" and "Tides" seem to stand out a little stylewise, not quite matching in with the rest. "The Shadow of His Former Self" is also quite an unusual closing track and an interesting choice.

Spot on post Martin.

TSOT is one of the most emotive & romantic things that Foxx has done in a long time.

The little instrumental interludes remind of a stage play where they play music in between set changes.

Can I choose between Interplay & TSOT no I cant.

I love them both equally.

Brian

I've made a John Foxx And The Maths iTunes playlist with both albums on. It flows perfectly

The Archive
The Archive
The Single Disc Edition of The Shape Of Things is now available to pre-order on Amazon...

Rob

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.