Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#41121 09/19/11 09:22 AM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, they kept this quiet!

(From Twitter) A short clip of a track from the new John Foxx & The Maths album which they finished on Friday.

Link

Apparently the track we hear is called "Unrecognised".

Exciting! And there was I wondering if there might be an EP for the tour... I wonder if there will be a new album instead?! Though being next month, I doubt it could come out that fast.

The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Alex S

Yeah... wink

(From Twitter) A short clip of a track from the new John Foxx & The Maths album which they finished on Friday.

Link

Apparently the track we hear is called "Unrecognised".

And it really doesn't do the track justice...

Exciting! And there was I wondering if there might be an EP for the tour... I wonder if there will be a new album instead?! Though being next month, I doubt it could come out that fast.

Everyone's been working VERY hard...

Rob

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow! I almost combusted with glee when I saw that last night.

What exciting times these are!

..is that the album they finished on Friday or the track?

Blimey I wasn't expecting that, liked the brief clip.

When is it likely to be out the album?

According to info on Artrocker the new album will be called The Shape of Things, and it will be a limited edition due out in October 2011. It will only be available either online from www.johnfoxxandthemaths.com or on the Interplay tour.

Excellent news.

MikeG #41160 09/22/11 07:13 AM
Originally Posted By: MikeG
According to info on Artrocker the new album will be called The Shape of Things, and it will be a limited edition due out in October 2011. It will only be available either online from www.johnfoxxandthemaths.com or on the Interplay tour.

<faints>

What I find interesting is that is it going to be a limited edition. For John that usually means 1000 copies. I got the impression Interplay sold pretty well, so why would the follow up be limited in any way? Does this indicate it may not have the same broad appeal? confused

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
...maybe they just thought 'why make an EP for the tour when you can make an album'!

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Can't say I'm that keen on "Talk" though... sounds like a rough demo. Maybe it'll be a grower, and it'll also depend on it's placing and context within the album.

Administrator
Administrator
I didn't realise that either. Good question.

Given the success of Interplay, one would expect any follow-up to be 'widely available'...

I daresay more news will come as the release date approaches

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Where did you hear the track "Talk" Alex?

Can't say I'm that keen on "Talk" though... sounds like a rough demo. Maybe it'll be a grower, and it'll also depend on it's placing and context within the album.

Found it Alex.

A strange one this, not enough going on in the track for me.

Administrator
Administrator
There's a link to the 'TALK' preview in the News thread on ArtrockerTV.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
C
C
I was also stunned by the news of a new Maths album, immediate thoughts were that perhaps its too much too soon after Interplay this year and its high standard, but then again, the momentum is good and with the tour around the corner so then why not go for it.

Talk sounds not unike an early work in progress version of Shatterproof. As a track this can't be the finished item surely? there's got to be more to it, more? More please Sir, said Oliver!

I can’t believe how quickly John & The Maths have come out with a second album. The dust only just seems to have settled on Interplay! Even more incredible (bearing in mind the album was finished “last Friday”) is the intention to make the album available on the Interplay tour. That’s only 3 weeks away!

If that was not enough, I notice that the album will be released “along with a bonus CD of remixes” (according to the blog on johnfoxxandthemaths.com.).

Amazing!!

Last edited by MikeG; 09/22/11 11:56 AM.
Actually I'm not that surprised about the new album.

After all most of the tracks from Interplay were in existence by June 2010 at the Roundhouse gig.

Talk sounds really Dark.

Like Core says it sounds very related to Shatterproof but more experimental.

Only just had a proper listen.

Massive Bass sound in there.I like. grin

Brian

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I like the idea of having an exclusive release for the tour - reminds me of the Exotour days! Plus it keeps the Maths momentum up, following the success of Interplay.

Administrator
Administrator
I like this track too now I've played it a few times. As Brian says, it does seem really dark compared with material on Interplay.

It's delivered with quite a sinister, threatening tone that works well with the interjections of static and crackle that acually made me jump!

The Archive
The Archive
The track listing for the forthcoming album The Shape Of Things is as follows...

Disc One
01. Spirus
02. Rear-View Mirror
03. Talk
04. Psytron
05. September Town
06. Unrecognised
07. Modreno
08. Falling Away
09. Invisible Ray
10. Vapour Trails
11. Buddwing
12. Tides
13. Astoria
14. The Shadow Of His Former Self

Disc Two
01. Evergreen (Radio Mix)
02. Shatterproof (Wrangler Mix)
03. Where You End And I Begin (featuring Tara Busch)
04. Summerland (Belbury Poly Mix)
05. The Good Shadow (Tim 'Love' Lee Mix)
06. Watching A Building On Fire (Grayed Out Mix)
07. Interplay (Grayed Out Mix)
08. Evergreen (Xeno & Oaklander Mix)

Are we excited yet? grin

Rob

C
C
Originally Posted By: Rob Harris

Disc Two
Rob

Wow, 2 disc set, what a great bonus to take away from the gig, I can't wait!

S
S
Yes. Very excited. Glad to see "September Town" included. The best track they've done so far in my opinion though it wouldn't have fitted in with "Interplay". Still the best album of the year so far.

Yes Rob,

I think we are all excited cool
Something for himself to sign at Leamington grin

Brian

Administrator
Administrator
Isn't "Buddwing" just the best title EVER??

Aside from all the new material, I'm especially looking forward to the Xeno & Oaklander remix thingummie-sausage

Super stuff. Go, John laugh

J
J
This is very exciting news.

"Where You End And I Begin" - is that some sort of Radiohead reinterpretation? Or just a coincidence. Either way, I'd be keen to hear John do Radiohead...

And how limited are we talking with this album? Living in Australia, I've got no chance to get my hands on it at the gigs in the UK, will it also be released through Townsend?

jhoward - on Artrocker TV they told us you can order this CD via www.johnfoxxandthemaths.com too in October. But you should do it as soon as possible 'cause it's a limited edition.

VERY!!! Exciting news! I will grab my copy on 25th at XOYO.

Personally I don't see the point of the 'exclusive tour release' idea .. is it supposed to get you to want to go to a concert just so you can get the CD? Are you only considered worthy of it if you go to a concert?
Anyway, exciting stuff and look forward to a darker, dirtier Interplay, plus all the extras. Interplay has taken us through the spring and summer, the sister album will take us into the darker months.
I get the feeling we won't get any more JF&M for a long time, so carpe diem! But if they wish to prove me wrong...

Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
I guess anyone order the CD via the website -I suppose it coming out the same year as the debut album should be considered a bonus.

Personally I miss Louis Gordon. I hope the two will collaborate again some time soon.

N
N
Rather looking forward to another 'The Maths' release,

For me, Interplay is a summer sort of an album, partly due to the warm depth of the songs and also due to my own contextualisation of them through heavy play during the warmer months, what with longer nights and colder weather drawing in it doesn't quite have the same significance, however I suspect I will listen to it just as much,

but with the news that this new album is going to be 'harsher and rougher around the edges' I can't help but feel that this will suit the approaching winter months just perfectly...

Administrator
Administrator
I agree with that Chris.

I know it 'makes a chage' from what us long-term fans are used to, but there's something refreshing about a follow-up album recorded so quickly. Just like the old days!

In this way, I rather hope there's some urgency and roughness in The Shape Of Things. A certain lack of polish, a few untied ends and a healthy lack of perfection - that would seem more than appropriate

Last edited by Birdsong; 09/23/11 07:13 PM.

Excellent news - purchasing will occur on the 25th!!!

Boy, do I hate tour exclusives.

The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Steve Roby
Boy, do I hate tour exclusives.

There's every chance that this release will be made available to people who aren't able to come to the gigs - I'm just not able to confirm exactly how that will be done at this stage. wink

Rob

C
C
The track listing for the forthcoming album The Shape Of Things is as follows...

Disc Two
01. Evergreen (Radio Mix)
02. Shatterproof (Wrangler Mix)
05. The Good Shadow (Tim 'Love' Lee Mix)
06. Watching A Building On Fire (Grayed Out Mix)
07. Interplay (Grayed Out Mix)

Rob

At the risk of being told by whoever decided on the track listing for the bonus disc to 'stop messing with my mojo maaahn' I'd love to have had the unused & downloadable 'Have A Cigar' included maaahn...

Shame the ROckWrok mix of Catwalk isnt on it either

There's every chance that this release will be made available to people who aren't able to come to the gigs - I'm just not able to confirm exactly how that will be done at this stage. wink

Any news yet? John's profile is a lot higher than it's been in years, so it seems like more of a real possibility that some of us may miss out.

The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Steve Roby

Any news yet? John's profile is a lot higher than it's been in years, so it seems like more of a real possibility that some of us may miss out.

I understand that two thousand copies of The Shape Of Things will be produced.
Copies will be made available via Townsend Records when the tour is over.

Rob

T
T
I've got high hopes for The Shape Of Things.

Could it be Sideways to Interplay's From Trash?

I can't wait either, I shall definitely be purchasing my copy on the 25th - I'm really into the idea of it being more experimental as well.

Administrator
Administrator
If it's as much better than Interplay as Sideways is than From Trash, then it will be John's best album yet.

Mind you - how much better than Interplay can it be cool

Also really looking forward to this album very much

T
T
Originally Posted By: Birdsong
If it's as much better than Interplay as Sideways is than From Trash, then it will be John's best album yet.

As I regard Interplay as being in the top five of John's career, and Sideways as probably the best Foxx and Gordon album, I reckon you wouldn't be far wrong there Martin.

The parallels between From Trash and Sideways, and Interplay and The Shape Of Things certainly auger well. A good or better release soon followed by a lower profile more uncompromising album, initially only available on the (autumn) tour.

Last edited by The Quiet Trees; 10/05/11 04:40 PM.
Administrator
Administrator
I absolutely agree with you.

Both Interplay and Sideways would be in my Top 5 Foxx albums.

From Trash , however, is one of my least favourite so there the parallels end. Stylewise, I think you're right and the signs are good for a similar counterpoint release

The Shape of Things review here:

Brutal Resonance

Excellent review, thank you for posting it.

M
M
A brilliantly written review.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.