Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#39206 09/14/09 07:03 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Don't know if this one has passed us by or if nobody's bothered very much...

Quote:
IMPOSSIBLE RE-PRESS & A MILLION CARS REMIX
The current limited edition version of the Foxx/Gordon album, Impossible will be deleted on Monday September 21.

The album is being re-pressed for an October 19 release. It's exacly the same except for one track, 'A Million Cars', has been remixed so that the backing vocal melody is a lot quieter.
Bit of a cheek remixing just one track I reckon but there you go...

#39207 09/14/09 08:07 AM
H
H
It's mentioned by yours truly on the 'Three CDs, two new songs' thread. I seem to be the only one who's annoyed by it, however. :rolleyes:

#39208 09/14/09 08:21 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh sorry ... should be "Four CDs" then! . .well, six depending on which way you look at it...

Yes it is annoying that Million Cars remix... confused

#39209 09/14/09 08:56 AM
H
H
I'm more annoyed that it was originally released as a limited edition but has now been re-released. As regards the 'Million Cars' remix, I've always loathed that particular song so I shall not be buying this edition.

#39210 09/14/09 09:34 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Well consider yourself lucky cos I really like the song and and miffed I will be missing out on a remix! mad

#39211 09/14/09 10:30 AM
The version on Impossible was just horrid.

#39212 09/14/09 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Halloway:
It's mentioned by yours truly on the 'Three CDs, two new songs' thread. I seem to be the only one who's annoyed by it, however. :rolleyes:
Well, I posted on the myspace blog that the remix should be given for free to people who bought the limited edition. Yeah, I'm a bit annoyed.

ETA: speaking of limited... I ordered Jesu's Pale Sketches a while back from the new record company formed by Justin Broadrick, the guy behind Jesu (and Godflesh and various others). Limited edition CD. Apparently sold out pretty quickly. It's just been reissued with a bonus CD with three alternate versions. No, I won't be spending the money.

#39213 09/15/09 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Roby:
Quote:
Originally posted by Halloway:
[b] It's mentioned by yours truly on the 'Three CDs, two new songs' thread. I seem to be the only one who's annoyed by it, however. :rolleyes:
Well, I posted on the myspace blog that the remix should be given for free to people who bought the limited edition. Yeah, I'm a bit annoyed.[/b]
I've been shouted down for grumbling about this kind of thing before, but really, what is the point of issuing a "limited edition" if it will be reissued shortly with only minor tweaks like remixing a single track "so that the backing vocal melody is a lot quieter"? I actually laughed out loud when I read in the email from Townsend, regarding "ANKOM": "To mantain [sic!] the 'integrity' of the first 1000 copies of this release, which sold out over a year ago, there are some changes to the artwork on this re-release." What, the order of a couple of pages in the booklet was reversed when they stapled them? laugh

I know it must be unpleasant to see high prices on eBay for which the artist or record label or official shop isn't getting a cut, and for a fan who missed out on the limited edition it's painful to know how much a rare item might cost, but how many people (other than the independently wealthy or the saddo completist) will repurchase a CD for ONE track or some artwork changes? :rolleyes: Do I sense an accounting problem at Townsend that must needs be remedied by desperately flooding the market with new limited editions in hopes of a sudden influx of cash? eek

Sorry, that was uncalled for. My cynicism often gets the better of me when I'm annoyed.

#39214 09/15/09 07:51 AM
H
H
@Lele,

I agree with you 100%. I also raised a cynical laugh at the use of the word 'integrity' with regard to 'ANKOM'.

*edit*
And, like you, I also see the hand of Townsend in all this.

#39215 09/15/09 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lele:
what is the point of issuing a "limited edition" if it will be reissued shortly with only minor tweaks
"Unlimited edition
with an unlimited supply
That was the only reason
we all had to say goodbye"
E.M.I. by the Sex Pistols

Actually I'm not upset about it, I just don't buy reissues. I buy one version of a CD and that's it. However, John's management should be careful about this sort of thing. At some point, fans will feel like they have been fleeced and say goodbye.

#39216 09/15/09 09:47 PM
Thanks Lele, for such a wonderful post. You've summed up my feelings about this fiasco on limited v unlimited editions nicely. I won't be wasting my hard earned cash on this, just to line Townsend pockets. I'll just wait, until, well you all know what I mean without actually saying it.

Peter frown

#39217 09/16/09 02:58 AM
Here is my thoughts on it.

I did buy Impossible but I am glad that people who missed out can now buy it without paying skyhigh E-bay prices. I am also glad that the demand is there so that John can make some more money and continue his work!
There thats it. :rolleyes:

I wouldnt mind get a free download of the new re-mix though!! But does hat mean the old remix should be made available for the new buyers? wink

#39218 09/16/09 06:49 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Hurrah!

myspace blog
Quote:
FREE DOWNLOAD OF 'A MILLION CARS'
The current version of the Foxx/Gordon album, Impossible will be deleted on Monday September 21.

The album is being re-pressed for an October 19 release. It's exacly the same except for one track, 'A Million Cars', has been remixed so that the backing vocal melody is a lot quieter. This new version of the track will also be made available as a free download via Townsend Records - www.townsend-records.co.uk in the run up to the release. Everyone who has bought John Foxx products through the Official Shop will receive an email with a link to the free download.

#39219 09/16/09 08:39 AM
Somebody obviously read all the rants!!

#39220 09/16/09 08:52 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, well done Steve! Great idea even though we all know an mp3 download will never be as good as a CD etc etc .... but never look a gift mp3 in the mouth.. wink

#39221 09/16/09 09:27 AM
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Hurrah!

myspace blog
Quote:
FREE DOWNLOAD OF 'A MILLION CARS'
The current version of the Foxx/Gordon album, Impossible will be deleted on Monday September 21.

The album is being re-pressed for an October 19 release. It's exacly the same except for one track, 'A Million Cars', has been remixed so that the backing vocal melody is a lot quieter. This new version of the track will also be made available as a free download via Townsend Records - www.townsend-records.co.uk in the run up to the release. Everyone who has bought John Foxx products through the Official Shop will receive an email with a link to the free download.
Nice to see someone's taking notice but is it really worth getting excited a bout a remix where the only difference is that one of the backing vocals is a little bit quieter?

#39222 09/16/09 01:00 PM
Wow, that didn't take long at all.

#39223 09/16/09 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Yes, well done Steve! Great idea even though we all know an mp3 download will never be as good as a CD etc etc .... but never look a gift mp3 in the mouth.. wink
Like the MP3? Get the CD!

#39224 09/19/09 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
The version on Impossible was just horrid.
Just how bad was it? And, if I buy the new CD, do I get a free MP3 of the old version?

#39225 09/24/09 05:24 PM
I've recieved the link to the new version & downloaded it.

Dont know if it sounds any different confused

#39226 09/24/09 05:25 PM
Just got the email from Townsend with the pointer to the free mp3 of A Million Cars. Dang, Brian beat me to it.

The backing vocal that appears at about 3:05 into the song is mixed way, way down in this version.

#39227 09/24/09 05:34 PM
I only listened on the way back from work in my car so I didnt have the other version to compare.

I suppose its one for completists smile

#39228 09/24/09 05:59 PM
S
S
This was the first time I'd heard that song. I was quite impresed with it. Will add the cd to my "wants" list.

#39229 09/24/09 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Oh, there may be one or two completists around here somewhere...

#39230 09/24/09 07:30 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
This was the first time I'd heard that song. I was quite impresed with it. Will add the cd to my "wants" list.
Good to hear Scott - it is definitely one of John Foxx & Louis Gordon's finest moments.
You'll enjoy Impossible...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#39231 09/24/09 07:38 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:

I suspect that was the logic behind the original decision NOT to release the track seperately or make a big deal of the re-pressing. This subtlety will only appeal to completists (thus really only a handful of 'repeat purchases') and really doesn't merit all the fuss about a 'different' version...

The BV is absent on the 'From Trash' version altogether, so its little more than a technicality.

I wonder how many people would have even noticed the difference... wink

How do you think we should refer to this 'new' version? It's hardly a remix, is it, more of an 'artistic correction'. Maybe A Million Cars(2009) will suffice?

Interestingly, it probably means that the (2008)version is the rarity.

This does all mean that four 'versions' of the song have been released, and ALL have the SAME title as no 'official' quantifying subtitle has been added to any of them..

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Bl**dy fine tune though!!! One of my favourites cool laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#39232 09/24/09 07:57 PM
Simple answer is to call it a Million and one Cars :rolleyes:

Mustn't grumble it's summat for nowt after all laugh

#39233 09/25/09 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Quote:
[b]
I suspect that was the logic behind the original decision NOT to release the track seperately or make a big deal of the re-pressing. This subtlety will only appeal to completists (thus really only a handful of 'repeat purchases') and really doesn't merit all the fuss about a 'different' version...

How do you think we should refer to this 'new' version? It's hardly a remix, is it, more of an 'artistic correction'. Maybe A Million Cars(2009) will suffice?...[/b]
A Foxxism for this track should be;

A Million Cars (Repurposed Remote Shout Method Reversed) wink

#39234 09/25/09 10:07 AM
The backing vocal sample is mixed way into the distance.

Overall I still prefer the original version - it's less "shouty".

#39235 09/25/09 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
[b]
Quote:
[b]

How do you think we should refer to this 'new' version? It's hardly a remix, is it, more of an 'artistic correction'. Maybe A Million Cars(2009) will suffice?...[/b]
A Foxxism for this track should be;

A Million Cars (Repurposed Remote Shout Method Reversed) wink [/b]
Or A Million Cars Exo-shout edition laugh

#39236 10/16/09 07:25 PM
C
C
Was in FOPP today and while browsing I found myself looking through the 'F's, (as you do laugh ) as its still something of a treat to see just what albums of John's are on display, and in fact there were two, one copy each of Impossible, and ANKOM, at £11 each.
It was a bit strange seeing those in a shop (not sure quite why I say that) and I've just realised that they've appeared early as the release date should be this Monday.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.