Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#39125 10/22/08 03:16 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I'm surprised that no-one has given this new album its own thread yet, and it doesn't seem to have been discussed much yet either. So come on chaps and chapesses, spill the beans for those of us who couldn't make it to Cargo and who are waiting for Townsend to put it on sale. smile

#39126 10/22/08 03:21 PM
C
C
Yeah, c'mon Townsend, before I spend pocket money on my queue of other artist's CD's other than John laugh

#39127 10/22/08 03:58 PM
I don't want to give comments only after 1 0r two listens - so this is the reason for me to post nothing until yet. But on the first listens I can say: BUY IT - it is worth the money! Very good recording in the same quality as A New Kind Of Man. wink

#39128 10/22/08 04:16 PM
It's a great recording of a really interesting gig.

Maybe not all the performance is spot on - John's voice doesn't have the range it once had (only to be expected), so a demanding song such as "Miles Away" would surely have benefitted from a more significant key-change or suitable reworking, in order to be more performable. But at least with Louis on the high notes, they manage to pull it off.

Shadow Man sounds fantastic. However the real highlight for me is "Europe After the Rain" - that version is really good and it sounds so fresh and beautiful.

And the artwork... well it is absolutely stunning. I'm so happy to see an update on that original TPOE concept (and that the original has been sneaked into the booklet smile ).

The artwork/booklets for both this and Impossible are John's very best , in my opinion. Absolutely perfect.

#39129 10/22/08 06:43 PM
I'm saving Impossible and Neuro Video as Christmas presents to myself.

You have to admire the willpower laugh

#39130 10/22/08 07:11 PM
You'll be having Christmas before the weekend! laugh

#39131 10/22/08 09:44 PM
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:

And the [b]artwork
... well it is absolutely stunning. I'm so happy to see an update on that original TPOE concept (and that the original has been sneaked into the booklet smile ).

The artwork/booklets for both this and Impossible are John's very best , in my opinion. Absolutely perfect. [/b]
Totally agree!! Neuro Video has instantly become my favourite sleeve. It is light-hearted, warm, nostalgic, futuristic, and quite possibly slightly sinister. wink

#39132 10/22/08 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
You'll be having Christmas before the weekend! laugh
Are you suggesting that he won't be able to resist playing them if he already has them in hand, or is this a hint to the effect that Townsend will be posting their availability in the next couple of days so he (and the rest of us) will be able to order them soon? wink

#39133 10/23/08 07:38 AM
I'm really enjoying this live album perhaps more than the others. Excellent set - I agree about Europe After the Rain which gets a much 'darker' treatment. Right about Miles Away Alex, Foxxy's def struggling with the vocals a bit, pity cos the synth arrangement and the drums are spot on. I'm even getting to like Dancing Like a Gun! Perhaps 11/12 don't really do it for me as songs anyway but the Sailing on Sunshine finale makes up for it.
I'll have to have a (no doubt very unpopular ) gripe tho and say I'm a bit fed-up with this artwork style..! ..they could've made it more 'livey', but no matter..
....it really is a good live album!!!!!!

#39134 10/23/08 08:54 AM
I have to admit, as much as I absolutely adore the artwork for this, I would have preferred having had it 'saved' for a future studio release. The imagery and title somehow just don't marry up with a gig recording.

I know it's clearly not John's 'thing' to do loads of boring live photos and such, but at times it does feel like a mis-match between music and artwork/packaging with these recent live albums.

Maybe a design using just small sections of live images - like the collage on the back of Glimmer - would have worked nicely, still looking coherent with John's visual style, but retaining a live feel.

I can imagine that this album is something extra special for those of you who were at that gig - you couldn't ask for a better souvenir (okay, you want a DVD, but still!).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.